Why do Western tcgs have such toned down art. Art from Vangaurd and Duel masters is fucking insane

Why do Western tcgs have such toned down art. Art from Vangaurd and Duel masters is fucking insane.

Insanely shit, maybe.

>anime squiggles with oversaturated colors on some generic foil backing

WOW MASTERPIECE

Prepare for

>opinions

Bonus points for if they are stated as fact.

It's about art trends and taste

Because this makes my eyes bleed.

Because western tcgs are not backed by a cabal of eye glasses and lenses industry magnates.

But look at this sexy beast

All of the World, Supreme real Dragon Church

I can't even tell what I'm looking at.

It's not BAD, but I personally find it way too over the top, that much colour ruins an otherwise great drawing and overly complicated design like these have great detail, but bad proportions and way too many things in it; that makes it definitely not pleasing to the eye since the drawing has no focus and no personality

It's a clusterfuck to look at.
Look at this. Lady with a sword. Bing boom done
Look at . Visual clusterfuck robot dragon angel with big ass building pauldrons and like eight different weapons.

Less is more

.neon laser devas with planet buster weapons and six heads have no personality

for gods sakes, even the NAMES in DM ooze with style

Supernova_Venus_la_Saint_Mother
Supernova_Mercury_Gigablizzard
Supernova_Pluto_Deathbringer
Supernova_Mars_Disaster
Supernova_Jupiter_King_Empire
Q.E.D._Plus,_Final_Dragon_Logic
Evidegoras, Dragon Sonic Aircraft Carrier
Dolzabard, Superior Dragonic Phoenix
Death Arcadia, Devil Saint.
Supernova Apollonus Dragerion
Supernova Black Hole Thanatos
Supernova Bigbang Anastathis
Violence Heaven

Violence Creator
Perfect Heaven
Bolpheus Heaven, Holy Super Dragon.
Handsome
Bolbalzak "Sword Flash" Dragon, Blue Divine Dragon
Codename Sword-Flash Ragon
SwordFlash Galaxy, Super Champ
Perfect Galaxy, Spirit of Immortality
Bolmetus Steel Dragon
Progre Sapphire, Divine Blue Brightness
Valkyrias Musashi, Ultimate Battle Dragon
Greatest Caesar, the Dark Kaiser
Master of Destiny, the Spirit Wolf Phoenix
"Galaxy Blade - THE FINAL
"Galaxy Shot - HELL"
White Knight HEAVEN, Lord of Spirits
: Romanoff Kaiser NEX, the Super Enlightened
Black Ganveet, Legion of Demise
Storm Double Cross, Blastdragon
Storm Kaiser Double Cross, Temporal Kamikaze.

Final Storm Double Cross NEX, the Miracle Awakened.

Crimson GENJI Double Cross, the Swordmaster Awakened
Blazing Boss! Vals Kaiser
Gaial King Dragon, Raging Dragon Lord.
Shan Bell, Light Weapon

Thunder Blade, Wolf Tiger
Aqua Attack (BAGOOON Panzer)
Aqua Cascade (ZABUUUN Cruiser)
Aqua Jet
Mother Alien
Alien Father (Just 1 Song?)
Volg Thunder
Geo Rebirth Universe
Cosmo Cebu Lambda
Gaial Ryusei Dragon, Star Dragon King,
Infinite Orchestra of Love
Intense Boiling! Hot Spring Gallows
Intense Sumo! Thrust Wrestler
Intense World! Shachihoko Kaiser
Gallows Hellish Dragon, Brink of Despair
No Arguments! Onimaru Boy
Ogre Warrior Kaiser "Win"
Onimaru "Explosion", Golden Age
Forever Princess, An Eternity to Rule Them.

Regardless of whether you like the weeb art or not, whoever is responsible for formatting those cards should be drawn and quartered

Wedding Zenith of Celebration
Suspense Zenith of Curse
Guillotine Charger
Codename iFormulaX
Excavator MS, Fused Giant Soldier
King Command Dragons
Ogre Warrior Kaiser "Win"
Kokushimuso Kaiser "Sho x Katsu
Onimaru "Head", Victory Rush
Zeta-File, Zenith of "Mystery"
Truename White of Lionel
Lionel Finale, Zenith of "Lion"
Cosmo Cebu Lambda, the Super Electromagnetic.
Shangri-La, Climax of "Cruelty"
Utopia Ever, Zenith of "Destruction"
Kiramaru Great Miracle
Onimaru "End", Grand Finale
Zorro A Star, Mantra's Prison Break
Ultra Knight Punk, Shentury
Stroganoff, Mantra of Flashing Seal
Frill, Mantra's Compassion
Carina, Izanai's Mantra
Yomi,Humanity God
Humanity, Nameless God
Izumo Returns,. Counterattckl God
Spice Queens, Inga's Holy Evil
Wendigo Apache, Izanai's Blank
Shiranui, Mantra's Roaring
Kinako, Familia's Defenseless
British ROCK, Shentonginus
Ginger,_True_Flash_Believer
Neo Wave Catstropher
Go To Hell, Annihilator Blade
Evidence, Truth Gun
Perfect, Immortal Lance
Multiply, Double Dragon Gun
Discald, Misfortune Demon Sickle
Discald, Misfortune Demon Sickle
Gaial, Leader Dragon Sword
Diabolos, Prison Dragon Blade
Gaiohburn, Head General Sword

>Those names
What a clusterfuck of a clusterfuck
Overly stylistic names are okay and even cool in anime, but for fuck's sake, it shouldn't be on a card, much less a card with overly detailed full art

You can be streamlined and not boring

for example

Leo the World, Zenith heavenly Saint

Goddamn, I wish Duel Masters was still alive in the West. Fuck WotC for killing it twice here.

>Not fucking your opponents shit with a card literally named Go to hell.

I like this guy becomes of his flavortext

>The thing that isn't obtained, speaks silence, and unexpectedly gives voice to feelings.

That's still an eyesore. Less is more.

full art

user posting Tierese art; her shit is so good BECAUSE she istn dull and goes full ham on details and shit.

Is that guys dick a church?

>The thing that isn't obtained, speaks silence, and unexpectedly gives voice to feelings.
The fuck does that mean?
Nice art, though

When you acheive nothing it doesn't mean anything, and yet it gives you feelings.

Like if I want to be champion and I dont get the win, the cup isnt sayings hit because i dont have it; but I still feel horrible.

These are the kind of names me and my friends would come up with as kids. long names or smashing words that make no sense together.

Because westerners like different things. They also like to pretend that they have good taste.

Chuuni as fuck.

nice art, but its a shame that magic's art on the cards is about the size of 2 postage stamps.

shame they need to waste more than half the card on a pointless black border and big white text boxes that are rarely filled even halfway.

I will admit Japanese based card games do have more color to them. MtG is guilty of doom and gloom sets that force their artists to use limited color palettes and conform to a more uniform style to give their worlds consistency.

Kaladesh definitely helps with that open, cheerful look they have going on, so you get more colors.

That art looks like the musical equivalent to someone screaming their high school poetry into one of your ears while drilling into your other ear.

Insane is a good word to describe it. Trash, horrible and ugly are others.

They do make sense but just in a more abstract sense.

Go to hell kills shit , Ogre warrior kaiser "win' is an Ogre, a warrior and a kaiser who wins Shangri-La is truly a climax of cruelty (when it attacks it send a creature into the deck and when its tapped your opponents cant attack at all) Forever Princess would rule for an eternity given she is forever and so on.

Like Supreme Real Dragon Soul, All Over the World
Supreme: It's the ultimate weapon(look at those stats)
Real: It's Real as fuck
Dragon :It's a dragon
Soul: It is literally made out of churches, that combine together like Voltron (see pic realted)
All of the World: It's literally all of the world because its the size of the planet see

looks like a retard slapped his dick on a canvas

This is from cfv

Even mtg characters look based in dm

this is nciol Bolas

But you can easily name something with less words. Over descriptive names are retarded
Look at this. It's called The Mimeoplasm. That's all you need to know.

Look at these two. They're Gisa and Geralf. You don't need to be told that they are Necromancer Gisa and Stitcher Geralf, Supreme Zombie Resurrecting Cecani Twins. You can tell that by the card itself.

Supreme Real Dragon Soul's primary theme is being huge and big as fuck; the long name just drives that home.

It's a giant dragon robot made from five carsd stuck together in a V with stats that are physically impossible for most games. Subtlety is not its string suit

But it's not like most of them have a lot of words; they are basically using the "Name, title" format of mtg legends in a more fun way.

Like Utopia Ever, Zenith of '"Destruction" (yes the quote are in the name)

thats basically the same set up as say 'Momir Vig, Simic Visionary" or 'jace, the living Guildpack"

>Art from Vangaurd and Duel masters is fucking insane
>Both sell like shit compared to Magic
>"Why do Western tcgs have such toned down art?"
Because it sells

>Gisa CROSS Geralf, Twin Rhapsody in Death

Duelmasters is the biggest selling card game in japan by massive margins

And just looking it up Yugioh is still the best selling card game in the world.

They have more cards in circulation that most world currencies.

>Specifying TCG so you can't get blown the fuck out by Netrunner

Very smart OP.

>he actually thinks that looks good

Insanely bad, you mean?
Not being this eye-searingly candy-vomit-Technicolor oversaturated isn't "toned down".

It's not a matter of good, it's a matter of "crazy mess of detail with bright colours" like OP wants.

nah ur trash lmao

Is this like the Exodia of Duel Masters?

keep proving me right;)

What is it with MTG these days and their not 100% fixed art style but the vast majority of cards seem to be of a similar style.

The concepts for the art is often good but something just feels, off about certain bits of some pictures.

Blood Artist here is a good example. The backgrounds is great but the character who is the focus just looks so ... I'm not sure. Too clean maybe? Something just isn't right with him.

At least I can tell that he's a fucking vampire making a painting with a person's blood

Card game art is pretty shitty if you need to read the name to understand what it is.

Duel Masters actually has(had?) good art, but these are not examples of it. It can be more explosive and dynamic than magics more painterly style without degenerating into rainbow light effects and shit. Design is fun too, representative magic creatures are white angel, red dragon, black zombie, green elf, blue wizard. Representative DM creatures are white evangelion angel, red cybernetic tank, black zombie chimera, green humanoid vegetable, blue sentient water people.

Oh totally, didn't mean to relate it to the OP just when looking at some of the art above then looking for more to post I noticed a lot seemed, odd slightly.

I've not played MtG in years.

Being contrarian to most other people on a specific board or Veeky Forums in general, simply for the sake of being contrarian, is a long standing tradition. Glad to see it's still around.
But let's not forget that's how the alt-right (or at least /pol/itics) got started

>not posting best art

check out this sweet duel masters art, it's called "Lord of the Jungle IceMane - Final Pearl Tiger"

>Japanese """"""art"""""""

And it does 'crazy mess of detail with bright colors' without me needing to vomit in a bucket, unlike most of the vanguard art I've seen in the thread.
Still not my preferred style, but nice to show counter-examples.

Netrunner also manages to mostly not use card names that sound like something a twelve year old would think sounds cool.

no. it's like meld.

but each of the five pieces is an artifact with and etb ability and nothing else

they don't go in main deck and can only be summoned from the extra deck/sideboard by a subtype of creatures that get one out when they etb (the biggest one gets 2 out and costs 9)

>Not liking VIOLENCE HEAVEN

why didn't mtg do this joke for its unset

kek'd

But it did

I want

'if this card was in duelmasters" name jokes to become a thing

>Supernova_Jupiter_King_Empire
Is his... NAME Empire?

What the fuck is Dragon logic?

Why is Bolbazak a dragon twice?

Whats a geo Rebirth Universe, how is that a creature?

Galxy Blade ZA FINARU sounds cool as fuck thouh

Because those are fucking unreadable.

I want this more than I've wanted anything else

Jace Prodigy, Illusion Mind Sculpt

Master Prodigy of Vryn, Illusionist Jace Mind Sculpter Savant EX

Nah still too coherent, its not just random words, they even do weird shit like using plurals as proper nouns or having entire phrases as someones name or stuff that while grammarlyc orrect, seems weird and off

Shangri-La, Climax of "Cruelty"
Utopia Ever, Zenith of "Destruction"
Spice Queens, Inga's Holy Evil

wait

British ROCK, Shentonginus

no fucking way thats a card