So I have a guy who wants play a Cleric of the christian god, in 3.5 D&D

So I have a guy who wants play a Cleric of the christian god, in 3.5 D&D.

I'm actually ok with this, neither of us are very religious.

How should I reflect this in game, should I go with the cherry picked classic modern version of christianity, or should I got with a more realistic version of christianity, and really bring home the horror of the bible, ie god sending bears to rip apart kids, killing whole villages who wont convert etc.

What domains should he have access too, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/04/drunk-with-blood-gods-killings-in-bible.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>*tips fedora*
There guys, you can go back to browsing /pol/ now, I saved you the hassle

Just refluff Pelor, he's basically the Christian God anyway.

Ask the player; he might want to play more of a Knight Roland than a Thomas De Torquemada.

Christfag here. I would suggest reading the Bible for one.
Turning enemies to salt is far more in-theme and recognizable.
Try and focus all your spells on water, and the purity associated with it.

If and when you preach to a town, don't be all Fire and Brimstone, use parables and stories to get the message across.

Favor hand to hand and improvised weapons, nothing speaks louder than taking out a whole orc patrol with nothing but a jawbone.

Food restriction are a very flavorful way to give some characterization to the cleric.

Go for the medieval times type of religion, platy a road evangelizer!

If neither you nor the player are very religious, you probably can't portray god accurately. Therefore, the "cherry picked modern version" is probably better for your group.

>If and when you preach to a town, don't be all Fire and Brimstone, use parables and stories to get the message across
This is a good idea tho, OP.

old or new test? This is huge.

Remember that Yaweh is a god of War and Order
Honestly I'd say that the alignment of the christian god is LN

Give them abilities associated with the following
>combat buffs (story of Sampson)
>Summoning fire and water (Soddom/Gommorah) (The Flood)
>summoning extra plannar creatures (seraphim)

OR if you want to have them follow Yaweh's son Yesua who is NG
>Summoning food and water
>Healing/curing disease

Include the pantheon, who gives a fuck. Instead of some "one true god", shit, just say its a god so arrogant he wishes to rule all others as the single host, and only uses "God" as his name to symbolize this.

Domains: Law, Protection, Healing

I imagine it would be kind of like the priest from berserk: Very nice person, genuinely cares, until HERETICS AND BLASPHEMERS.

Speaking from a entirely neutral standpoint, the christian god seems pretty vengful and teaches hard lessons. Paladin straying? Boils for a time. Paladin decides to let the succubi go instead of killing? Blind for a period because he cannot see gods light. With all gods being realized in most settings, you can say instead of outright denouncing, the christian gods followers convert through conquest of knowlege (i.e, will usually destroy and repurpose religious items of other gods and replace them with their own.), and recruitment of the meek. Again, they should follow the traditional route of values like charity, humbleness, ect.

Remember that the vast majority of the 2 spoopy part of the bible is Old Testament which has been overrided by Christ and the new pact with god i.e. the new testament

Still if you want to be christian and thus new testament but want some 2 spoopy shit, there's always the end of the world.

God sends bears to rip kids apart when they call Elisha bald, and at another point He kills an entire village of Jews who (peacefully) abandoned Moses' group in the wilderness to strike off on their own, and He killed them because they wouldn't convert back to worshiping Him.

OP, if you're looking for a resource to do it up fedora-style (aka according to the actual words written in the bible as interpreted by a non-Christian), I recommend the following handy reference list. This is a good frame of reference for what God might kill people over if you want to present him "Old Testament" style:

dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/04/drunk-with-blood-gods-killings-in-bible.html

>horror of the bible, ie god sending bears to rip apart kids, killing whole villages who wont convert etc.
>implying old testament is christianity and not jewish heathen trash
Jesus, forgive and guide this user onto the right path

According to Jesus it is.

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

According to common sense, it's better off forgotten and ignored.

If you did that, no other God would exist. YHW is omnipotent, canon-wise.

That means that he'd will the other gods out of existence

Deities and Demigods, fucking read it, it has a monotheist god that's clearly meant to be not!abrahamicmythos.

So why do demons exist in christianity?
As far as christianity is concerned, the "other gods" are real insofar as they are the voices of demons and fallen angels trying to pull mortals away.

Because YHWE lets them and the Devil exist until his second coming

I'm aware. Now surely you can extrapolate where I was going with that.

This. God is omnipotent and knows all, so clearly he has a plan as to why all these other heathen faiths and/or demons and/or whatever exist at various points in time.

It doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but it's kind of like the old "What if god made a boulder he, himself, could not pick up?" question. It's not a matter of logic, it's a matter of faith.