Occult Cold War/Nazi Magic Science

I'm going to be running a one-shot in Cold City this weekend (homebrew rules, because I'm a monster who can't leave a system alone), and I need a plot. The players are all part of the Reserve Police Agency, ostensibly an international coalition of the Occupying Powers that works as backup police across the divided zones of Berlin in 1950. In truth, the RPA is supposed to be quietly finding and disposing of evil Nazi magitech, preventing it from hurting anyone or seeing the light of day, and the agents are all members of various national spy agencies (Stasi, CIA, NKVD, SDECE, USAF, etc) with their own agendas.

tl;dr gimme magic spy stuff to do in Cold War Berlin

Other urls found in this thread:

wagingpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Proliferation_History.pdf
blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/
osti.gov/opennet/forms.jsp?formurl=document/press/pc26tab1.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein's_Army
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss_(fashion_designer)#Support_of_Nazism#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, does anyone know about the history of nuclear weapons? I know Russia detonated their first bomb in 1949, but how many would they/the USA have in 1950? Did any of the other powers (France, Britain) have nukes that early?

wagingpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Proliferation_History.pdf

Found this. France and Britain didn't have nukes in 1950, but it doesn't say what sort of volume the USA/USSR had.

> you will never be a guard on the Berlin Wall comfortably nestled behind an MG-3 in a comfy bramble of concrete and barbed wire watching a lonely alleyway when you see a young girl in a rough brown dress with a bundle of belongings clustered in her shaking grimy arms as she looks both ways crossing the cobblestone street toward the wall. She carefully slides through the bars, and she is leaving, defecting to the other side. This cannot be allowed. You center the sights of your MG-42 over the center mass of her soft round hips, and with a bark and a flash a bullet pierces her, flinging her to the ground. She whimpers, her belonging spilling out onto the concrete along with her blood. She tries to keep crawling, but a second shot fractures her pelvis, and a third shears off her left ankle. The sheer pain incapacitates her, but it is easy to tell she is not dead, and won't be for a while. Traitors are punished with death.

Thank God for that.

From the Cold City book, the three types of 'foes' they list.

>Die Veranderten/The Alternatives:
>What were once men and women are now simply shadows of their former selves. Put through the terrible machines and subjected to the most grotesque experiments and rites, a tiny fraction survived, often with strange powers and broken minds, bent on waste and destruction.

>Die Eindringlinge/The Incursors:
>Creatures that were brought into this world from other places and other dimensions, warped beings totally alien to our own way of thinking. They were dragged from their own space and time by science that sometimes stepped over the line into magic.

>The Dead:
>The re-animated corpses of those who fell on the battlefield or were killed during aerial bombardment. These shambling zombies (known as ‘STs’, short for ‘Spezialeinsatztruppen’ or Special Purpose Troops) know only pain and suffering.

Though obviously don't let that get in the way of imagination.

>The atmosphere created by film noir is very much the default tone for Cold City: there are stark shadows and harsh black and white, but the characters operate in a moral and ethical grey area, where they are not exactly very heroic themselves. The villains may be no worse than the characters themselves and may even have agendas akin to theirs. A noir tone suits the mood of the time: fear of destruction, mistrust (even of your allies), moments of brutal violence and covert (and overt) manoeuvring to gain the upper hand.
>Cinematic Inspiration: Kiss Me Deadly, The Third Man

From the national stereotypes section
>French:
>Cowardly, alcoholic, fond of good food and wine, rude, snobbish, amorous and romantic
>Cowardly

Did anyone after WWII really think that? The official response to the invasion of 1940 was pathetic, true, but 5 years of partisan warfare across the Mediterranean should have kept people from thinking that the French were cowardly or bad fighters, especially Allied troops who came into the region and saw what had been done, both the by the stubborn Free French and the reprisals by the Nazis that failed to break them.

Yes, mainly the British. This France is cowardly is entirely British. The historic animosities of the two countries shaped their population (mostly British towards French, rather than French towards British).

Looking for origins, it seems like most of the blame for "cowardly French" is placed on American stereotyping. Is this just Americans making everything about themselves?

Anti-French sentiment was pretty strong on the British homefront, but it was American media that spread it out. Mostly because in the early 20th Century, Britain was still the world's major power and controlled all telegraph lines heading to the US.

Working on the homebrew rules.

For skills, instead of an exhaustive list you pick a background (or two) and list some specialties within it. You can do anything that generally fits in your background, and you get a bonus doing something covered by one of your specialties. I have some examples, anyone know of other good careers to include?

Officer
>Command
>Logistics
>Protocol

Clerk
>Bureaucracy
>Codebreaking
>Manipulation

Infantry
>Marksmanship
>Stamina
>Tactics

Tanker
>Driving
>Machinery
>Navigation

Pilot
>Flying
>Machinery
>Seduction

Spy
>Infiltration
>Demolitions
>Interrogation

Scientist
>Science
>Paperwork
>Office Politics

It's not an exhaustive list of specializations, just a few to point them in the right direction

Does British perfidy know no bounds?

Rules question: Which system do you prefer?

1) Roll and Keep (Additive, like 7th Sea and Legend of the 5 Rings)
>Roll x dice, keep y
>add the numbers on each kept dice to determine your total result, which is checked against the target number
>ex. You roll five dice, and get 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, of which you keep the three highest (10, 9, 7). The result is 26, which beats the target number of 15.
>in a contested roll, both people roll their pools, add up the total of kept dice, and see who has the bigger total
>ex. Jim rolls 5k3, and gets 26 total. Shaniqua rolls 4k2, and gets 11. Jim wins.

2) Roll and Keep (Individual)
>roll x dice, keep y
>check each kept die against target number, determine degree of success (each die that beats the target number)
>ex. You roll five dice, and get 3, 5, 7, 9, 10. You keep the three highest (10, 9, 7) and compare them against the target number of 8. The 10 and 9 are higher, so they get two degrees of success
>In a contested roll, both people roll their pools. Starting from the highest match, they both eliminate one die at a time until one person has a kept die higher than the other. The number of dice between that high point and the loser's next-highest die is their degree of success.
>Jim rolls 5k3, and gets 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 (keeping 10, 9, 7). Shaniqua rolls 4k2 and gets 4, 7, 7, 10 (keeping 10, 7). They both have 10, so that is removed. Jim has a 9, which gives him one success. The next die is a 7, which they both have, ending the comparison. Jim wins with 1 degree of success.

I'm personally leaning towards the latter, though I don't know if it's necessary to have the keep system to prevent it from getting out of hand.

I am amazed at how bad the maps are for divided Berlin. You'd imagine someone would have put together something huge, with detailed landmarks. Historians are sleeping on the job, or the governments are really tight-fisted with their official maps about zones.

It still boggles my mind that the French were given an occupation zone.

They got one after the First World War, too. They want to take over Germany piecemeal, but they've never been able to make it stick.

This blog has astonishingly good articles on a wide range of topics. It's well worth reading. blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/

For some reason, that web address is hilarious to me.

Took a bit of digging into the sources, but I found it. Super useful, thanks
osti.gov/opennet/forms.jsp?formurl=document/press/pc26tab1.html

>1950: 299 bombs, 9.53 megatonnes, 264 new bombs built, 135 retired

Holy shit, America. 5 years after they dropped the first ones, they already had enough to wipe out the human race three times over.

Hah, not even close. There are other articles on that blog dealing with "how many bombs, of what yield, deployed where" it would take to wipe out the human race. Spoiler alert: more than you'd expect.

Seriously inconvenience, sure. Wipe out, tricky

Wipe out human civilization, then? When you're retiring more than 100 bombs a year already, it's a sign that you have more than enough bombs.

I prefer gurps

Without yield and delivery info though, that number is meaningless. You might as well say that anyone with ten billion bullets stockpiled could wipe out humanity.

It's all a bit more... nuanced. Keep reading that blog.

Based on what little I've been able to pick up of the game....

>tracking nazi scientists who have gone to ground. Last seen in (not your control zone). Sneak in and black bag them, or try and get the powers that be help in grabbing them and sort it out later?

>A construction crew broke into an underground bunker while clearing debris. A survey team sent down never came out. Find out what's going on and deal with it.

>An advisor in an insignialess uniform has been attached to your squad for the upcoming patrol. You are to refer to him as 'sir' with no rank given. He seems very interested in a specific block of apartments and keeps consulting his watch and radio.

>A person of interest who was confirmed killed in 1944 walks into your bunk room and tells you of a plot currently under way to undo the last five years before literally vanishing before your very eyes. The only evidence that he was ever there is a small notebook left sitting on the chair he occupied not a moment before.

>>A person of interest who was confirmed killed in 1944 walks into your bunk room and tells you of a plot currently under way to undo the last five years before literally vanishing before your very eyes. The only evidence that he was ever there is a small notebook left sitting on the chair he occupied not a moment before.

Damn time travellers. Can't trust them.

And to contribute some more inspiration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke

>‘Spezialeinsatztruppen’
Stolen from Keith Thompson's Liecheobershutzen?

Flipping through pages, looking at maps and whatnot, they seem pretty efficiently laid out for maximum destruction.

A guy with 10 billion bullets might not be able to kill everyone in the world, but he can made a damn good go of it.

>Witkowski describes Die Glocke, when activated, as having an effect zone extending out 150 to 200 metres (490 to 660 ft). Within the zone, crystals would form in animal tissue, blood would gel & separate while plants would decompose into a grease like substance

More Frankensteinian than those, but same general principle.

Bumping with more 50s wierdness. Not Nazi wierdness, but wierdness none the less.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project

If there's one thing pulp comics have taught me, it's that everything has Nazi weirdness if you look hard enough.

If you haven't seen Frankenstein's Army, watch it OP. Cold City sounds like it's in the same area code.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein's_Army

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

I love how Cold City has Operation Strangle. Paperclip took out all the atomic scientists they could get their hands on, Strangle got the occult ones. Makes me want to set the game in 1945, make everyone Americans, and make the goal to extract a Nazi who made rockets fly with magic, just so they fight each other over who gets to employ the Nazi.

You could say that OpStrangle is still a going concern. They got the scientists out in '45, now that things have died down and the world is focused elsewhere it's time to go in and remove the labs/equipment left behind and 'sterilize' the sites.

Could do. 1950, definitely lots of buried bunkers and labs in Berlin.

Fuck, I wish I could actually run a campaign in this. But we've already got one campaign going, another that was suspended that the GM wants to start up again, and 20-somethings work shitty part-time jobs that make planning in advance and having regular sessions a bitch.

The plot of that is almost exactly the backstory the Soviet example character has. Good find.

What worked for me in the past was have a game kit ready.

>Premade characters 80% done. Just need name/a few skills/talents/whatever filled in.
>Short one shot game all written out, NPCs made, maps drawn.
>Give players a 5 min intro, why your there, etc.
>Throw them to the wolves!

Doing the above let's you run a series of short, episodic games that can be linked together or stand alone adventures. Little prep Lanning is needed, grab the first 4 people who answer a text and run with it.

I can throw together a game quickly. The problem is mostly on my end- I'm two hours away from the city proper via transit, so getting out there and back is something that needs planning, or at least a decent run-up. I can work with scheduling problems because the guys who give me grief are reliable; it's a lot better than getting 90 minutes into the trip only for people to flake.

Ah. Yeah, that's rough user. Other than try it online I'm not sure what advice I can offer.

>comfortably nestled behind an MG-3
>You center the sights of your MG-42
Good consistency, gurofag

first thing that popped into my head when I saw the address.

Technically the MG3 was a rechambered MG42....

At least I always have you

Happy to be of service user.

Is that the hot goth from CSI?

No, that's the scene-chick from "Lost Girl".

How did the Nazis absolutely btfo everyone else in the uniform department? They all looked so cool.

Designed by Hugo Boss.

No they weren't. Stop spreading this meme.

Oh, my bad. Poor guy, being associated with Nazis forever now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss_(fashion_designer)#Support_of_Nazism#

Produced by, at least. Seems they were actually designed internally by Nazi party members, although whether or not Hugo Boss had any influence over their choices is a different matter.

Gotta wonder if fashion pride drove him to improve the designs. If his name was going to be on them anyways, might as well make them as stylish as possible.

>Poor guy, being associated with Nazis forever now

He joined the party in 1931, and after the war was stripped of his right to vote. Boss wasn't associated with Nazis against his will, he straight-up was a Nazi.

Is the Spear of Destiny too cliche?

Also, did the Nazis ever actually get any Christian artifacts of note?

>From the national stereotypes section
>tfw your nationality is too irrelevant to ever make it on to a list like this

To be fair, the only ones in that section are Americans, British, French, German, and Soviet (not any nationality specifically in there, just 'Soviet'). The game has a very limited scope for other nationalities.

What podunk country are you from? I'm Canadian, I'm in the same boat

Funny coincidence, I'm Danish, so pretty much the Canadians of Europe.

You can be in Cold City when your spy agency is cool.

Colour me intrigued.

Anyone got a pdf copy kicking about?

>Nazis loot Catholic churches for saint's relics, use them as fuel for eldritch engines of war

"Hans, ve are slowink down! Fetch ze toe of Saint Gertrude und put it in ze Herr Fusion!"

"The caged whale knows nothing of the mighty deeps."

To baltantly steal a Hellboy plot :

The Nazi's rocketed a corpse into space to provide a body for a eldrich abomination. Now the capsule is about to come back to Earth.

Fits easily with 'The Incursors' here

Countersign?

The ill-built tower trembles mightily at a butterfly's passage?

my.mixtape.moe/ovrpru.pdf

Salutations, Brother.

Now get out there and tell me what the Reds are doing, agent.

Jawohl Herr Hauptm...er Yes Sir!

I knew Gehlen Org was a mistake.

>Montauk/Camp Hero (NEW YORK STATE , USA)
>Located on a remote part of the Eastern tip of Long Island, Montauk Airforce Station (or Camp Hero as it is sometimes known) has long been a key part of American coastal defences. During World Wars One and Two, it played a key role in keeping watch for invasion forces. Since the end of the war, it has started a new life, a life kept away from the prying eyes of public or political scrutiny.

>On the surface, the station is mostly abandoned or mothballed, occasionally used for army and navy training programmes. But beneath the surface, there is an extensive warren of facilities, all built to provide a home for the captured twisted technology.

>In order to preserve secrecy, many personnel and much of the equipment has been brought to the base by submarine or in converted oil tankers in the dead of night. Aircraft and personnel sometimes arrive on the site to take part in ‘training exercises’, bringing with them unusually large amounts of unspecified equipment.

>Within the higher levels of the military and intelligence community, rumours are rife about the Montauk base. Most revolve around captured Nazi scientists and secret weapons research. Few speculators have even thoughts about what is really going on: human experimentation, highly dangerous research and the continuation of various German wartime experiments. Of particular note are the ‘gateway processes’, the means by which German scientists brought the Incursors into our world. US scientists seem to have made great strides towards replicating these experiments, treading on dangerous ground.

>Rumours also seep out regarding various mind-control projects involving brainwashing, surgery and the harnessing of bizarre new energies. If these experiments come to fruition, there is no telling to what end the US military may be prepared to use the results in fighting the Cold War.

I take back what I said before inThe random name generator has entries at the back for Italian, Polish, and Dutch names, alongside the Occupying Powers.

still no Danish fuck you

>reading up
>in addition to Paperclip, Operation Alsos was a mission to capture German scientists for American gain
>various members in either operation came into contention, usually settled at home in meetings between commanding officers, intelligence directors, and political advisors

Jesus, this thing writes itself. It's not a spy movie, it's a spy spoof

bumpo

What if Hitler developed rave tech? How many people would Stalin kill to drop the bass?

It's a bit later, but look up MK Ultra

As the poets said, it's not too late, it's never too late.

But IMO that's not really taking advantage of the setting for a one-shot. You're in Berlin in 1950, looking to take Nazi megitech out from under each other's noses. MKUltra is the end goal on the home front, not what RPA agents would be explicitly dealing with.

>Over the course of several days a large number of occupation and civil leadership is assassinated.
>In every case the assassin killed themselves immediately after or dropped into a coma.
>Investigation turns up a link, all of the killers had been patients of a Dr Germananon, who had himself been previously detained and questioned about his supposed link to a group of interest of Operation Strangle.
>Curiously, the case against him was dropped after several of his case handlers suffered psychotic episodes and his file was marked 'clean' by the chief investigator following an interview with the Doctor while in his home.
>The current location of Dr Germananon or his associates cannot be confirmed.

You'd imagine of anyone the Nazis would know how to build a properly armoured robot. That thing is going to be shredded by a stiff wind.

On a scale of 1 to /pol/, how bad would it be to use concentration camp crematoriums to dispose of mutated and mutilated bodies?

Other than Judaeo-Christian stuff and a splash of random paganism, did the Nazis bother with anything else? Did they try some Japanese rituals, see if they could make an Aryan kaiju?