Okay, Veeky Forums, I'm having some trouble with something

Okay, Veeky Forums, I'm having some trouble with something.
Do space marines change their names once they become space marines, or are names like titus, midas, leandros, eliphas, and isador just common?

Pretty sure it depends on the chapter.

okay, thanks.

okay, thanks. it's been bugging me for a while

How are they "common" exactly.

Depends on the Chapter. Some use their original name, some get assigned a name, others choose it by themselves.

Depends on the chapter. Some might keep their names but even so, different chapters recruit from vastly different worlds so may have very different names.

these make me think you made the thread and then answered your own question, without knowing how to even post here

>7 posts
>6 unique posters
>1 newfag

I know some Chapter's dont bother with second names, such as the Unforgiven, probably don't see a point in it and because they tell their recruits to forget their past lives

I know some Chapter's dont bother with second names, such as the Unforgiven, probably don't see a point in it and because they tell their recruits to forget their past lives

What are you doing?

I am a space marine.

Then why did you ask the question? Don't you already know?

I'm assuming you mean common like dan or joe, in 40k does everyone have names like titus?

Now that I think about it there probably is a chapter culture of names. titus, midas, leandros makes me think they are high gothicish names, and must be taken on after becoming a marine. at least in the ultras with their roman kind of shit.

I don't know, if they're from Ultramar they probably do have pseudo-latin names as the whole thing is space Rome. Hell, most Imperial citizens are like that.
So it's not too insane to imagine that's their birth names.

If you've got someone named Tacitius Vafer who's supposedly from a feral world though, you can be pretty sure they changed their name.

I feel the warp overtaking me.

Hmm Joe Titus. Jeb Leandros. Yep, there's heretics in dem tar hills I reckon.

MARTHA! Git me mah bolter! We've got us some HERETICS!

Martha?

kek

His name is Robert Paulson.

what is this madness

yes and yes.
Ultramarines live in a greco-roman themepark, so their names are their actual names. It's why they keep family names.
Dark Angels pick up new names.

Depends on the chapter and their practices. Black Templars and Imperal Fists recruit from all over the place and have marines from all ethnic backgrounds you can imagine. They keep their names too.