Accidental Magical Girl CYOA General: Righteous Edition

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use. A majority of activity (including campaigns) instead happens in the IRC, which is open for newbies to join. Some players have split off and created a Discord server which can be used for the same purpose.
This thread houses three systems: First, QuasarBlack's CYOA PDFs which may be used as writing prompts. Second, AMGC which expands on the CYOA character creation and provides rules for combat. Finally, the SCS is an alternative to AMGC with a similar purpose. IRC uses mostly AMGC and Discord uses SCS.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

1.51 CHANGELOG (Important if you intend to update a character that was created with the CYOA writing prompt in mind): pastebin.com/ub28mT8t

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images (updated 02/26/16): mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

IRC Channels on Rizon:
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle #MGPnP #Overcity
IC Shenanigans: #TheWand&Circlet #MGCafe
IC School: #MGSchool
rizon.net/chat

Discord Server:
discord.gg/FsuCpTJ

Other urls found in this thread:

titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz
pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY
pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
pastebin.com/cbcBUc03
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/edit
titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq
titanpad.com/AMGCupdate1-14
discord.gg/mQ4fC
pastebin.com/raw/FTFPiVXy
discord.gg/VbvPd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

This PDF is for AMGC 1.132, used for PnP in the IRC.
>Features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

>Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

>Torque's Google Docs Character Sheet
drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished! (Outdated)
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

AMGC Corruption PDF, for mechanics of a monstrous nature.

AMGC Puchuu Expansion, for the myriad creatures that seek to instruct or command most magical girls

Introducing the MGCYOA Supplementary Combat System!

The SCS was made as an add-on to the CYOA to cover the combat side of roleplaying. It allows players to easily take characters made in the CYOA v1.5 and use them in Quests and long-running campaigns alike.

This PDF covers the basics of magical girls and sets the groundwork for future updates (which will include Patrons, DMGs, and Monster Girls).

>Addons to the SCS, currently only the Order & Chaos / Friend & Foe expansion:
pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
>Changelog: pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/cbcBUc03

The SCS Order & Chaos, Friend & Foe expansion, for adapting patrons to SCS play, a basic bestiary, and creating dark magical or monster girl characters.

The SCS GM guide. Includes

>Statistics for Mundane weapons and their use in the SCS.
>Alternate and Additional Rules for use in campaigns and quests that help change gameplay to better interest/suit specific groups and/or campaign styles.
>A list of common questions regarding rulings and gameplay.
>Tips and suggestions for GMs looking to run a game.
>Rules for converting AMGC characters for SCS use, as an alternative to completely rerolling characters.
>Tips and suggestions for constructing cinematic scenes and narratives from mechanical interactions.

Confirmed for a future release:
>An SCS version of a community-created “stock” quest.
>How to use coins to anchor minor additive enhancements to yourself and your abilities.

AMGC also has a character archive and a linkboard full of information.

>Character Archive
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/edit

>Linkboard
titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq

Also, community participants may suggest further suggestions here:
titanpad.com/AMGCupdate1-14

Hmm.

Rolled 4, 18, 8, 12, 16, 20, 6, 10, 6, 7, 19, 15 = 141 (12d20)

a kiss of life before bed, and i'll check my roll tomorrow

I think this might count? Maybe?

What's happened in the RP lately?

From what I've heard, nothing much.

Is the main Rizon channel still #MGCYOA? It is mysteriously absent from the OP.

It is. There've been some logistical issues with the last few OPs, and we're trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Not sure why the CYOA chat was omitted, though.

Looking at it, the Discord link is also dead, so I'll go ahead and refresh that now: discord.gg/mQ4fC

Can you link to the last thread? That also seems to be removed for no reason.

Rizon is dying, most active role players and a few gms have moved to the discord group. Everything's slowed down since summer ended though.

I think you're confusing your fantasy with reality.

>have moved to the discord group.

You mean the one that can have more than eight hours pass before a single word is said?

Yeah. I rewrote the OP based off of an old posting in between two appointments, and it looks like I left a few things off in my haste.

Appearance Test:

This PDF is for AMGC 1.132, used for PnP in the IRC. It features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations):
>titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

Torque's Google Docs Character Sheet
>drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo

Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished! (Outdated)
>orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
>pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

OP and AMGC text for next thread:
pastebin.com/raw/FTFPiVXy

Rolled 15, 5, 17, 3, 13, 16 = 69 (6d20)

Let's throw some dice for monster perks and see what happens!~

The last time there was any RP in the Discord was in early August. That was the only RP too. There is, however, a lot of system talk. But that's it pretty much.

Have you given love, married, and had a kid with your puuchu today?

>kid with puchuu
What kind of degenerate are you?

Bump-kun!

Rolled 6, 2, 7, 15, 20, 5, 4, 6, 2, 19, 8 = 94 (11d20)

Whoaaaaa there.

Rolled 5, 18, 7, 3, 13, 13, 18, 15, 13, 13, 3 = 121 (11d20)

I predict Air, Melee, and Flowing in this roll.

Rolled 17, 6, 1, 20, 6, 4, 15, 19, 12, 2, 19 = 121 (11d20)

Rolled 14, 8, 6, 1, 12, 18, 12, 4, 1, 10, 14, 12 = 112 (12d20)

Let's see where this door leads...

Rolled 1, 4, 12, 20, 17, 16, 14, 16, 10, 10, 8 = 128 (11d20)

Gimme that Death bonus, b0ss.

Rolled 8, 2, 13, 9, 10, 5, 19, 8, 11 = 85 (9d20)

Ally roll

Rolled 19, 8 = 27 (2d20)

Weapon and outfit for twin

1 gold (+4 MAG)
4 silver (+2 STR, +2 AGI, +2 VIT, +2 LCK)
4 bronze (+1 VIT, +1 AGI, +2 MAG)

(1) Age: 7
(4) Body: Underdeveloped (+1 LCK or MAG)* (MAG)
(12) Spec: Light (+1 AGI, +2 VIT, +1 MAG)
(20) Weapon: Fist (+2 STR)
(17) Outfit: Uniform (+1 VIT)
(16) Power: Third Eye
(14) Perk 1 (C): +1 Any, Ally. (LCK)
(16) Perk 2 (C): +1 MAG, Sorcery * (divination)
(10) Perk 3 (S): Absolute Direction
(10) Perk 4 (S): Hammerspace Handbag
(8) Perk 5 (Any): Disguise Artifact

STR: 8
AGI: 8
VIT: 10
MAG: 13 (5 out of costume)
LCK: 7

There's a good cottage industry to be had finding things and divining things. Pets found, stolen goods found, lost people found, lost electronics found, throw in a bit of divination, and the power of light will compel most anyone. Can't hide from this light. Throw in some kind of police uniform and at the age of 7-but-actually-looks-5 run around in costume forever, saying that it's just a costume for playing.

Ally

2 Silver
3 Bronze

(8) Age: 14
(2) Body: Underdeveloped (+1 LCK or MAG)*
(13) Spec: Wood (+1 STR, +1 VIT, +2 MAG)
(9) Weapon: Mystic (+1 MAG)
(10) Outfit: Flowing (+1 STR)
(5) Power: Twinned Soul (-1 All)
(19) Perk 1 (C): Awareness
(8) Perk 2 (C): Disguise Artifact
(11) Perk 3 (C): Enhanced Sustenance (+1 VIT)*

(19) Twin Weapon: First (+2 STR)
(8) Twin Outfit: Flowing (+1 STR)

Name: Miya
Body: Average [+1 LCK*]

STR 3/5
AGI 3/4
VIT 3/6
MAG 4/12 (S)(B)
LCK 4/16 (S)(S)(B)
Soak 5 + VIT Soak
Parry 5 + 2(1m)
LckOut 8

Specialization: Psychic [+2 MAG, +2 LCK]
Weapon: Melee [+1 STR, +1 VIT]
> Duelist
Outfit (B): Uniform [+1 VIT]
> Reinforced
> Defender
Power (B): Scrying [+1 MAG]

PERKS
Enhanced Outfit [+1 Soak]
Mystic Artifact [+1 MAG]
Interdimensional Tourist [+1 LCK]
Absolute Direction [+1 LCK]
Patron [+1 LCK]
Mana Channel [+1 MAG*]
(G) Eternal Style [+1 Soak]
(G) Snapshots [+1 LCK]

Cheery mageblade with refitted monk robes who travels with an immortal mahou-turned-patron that can't stop blathering nonsense. Her services lean heavily towards intel and scouting; though she carries a dagger, her lack of combat prowess makes her seem like a terrible combatant. In actuality she's quite competent, only really bad at taking down foes, but sheer dumb luck just isn't marketable. Her partner seems powerful but also genuinely insane and uncooperative, hence largely being a background set piece whenever business is conducted.

She makes for a great tour guide.

ORIGIN: Bloodline (Chose Air, +1 Agility)

Age 16 (Silver, change from 11), Overdeveloped (+1 Strength*)
Air Specialization (+4 Agility)
Melee Weapon (+1 Strength, +1 Vitality) [Close Range]
Flowing Outfit (Bronze, change from Elaborate; +1 Strength) [+2 Evasion]
Power of the Third Eye (Bronze, change from Duplication)
Perks: Purification Artifact, Monstrous Metamorphosis, Familiar (Silver, change from Masculinity), Healing Artifact, Fated (+1 Luck*)

Statistics (Transformed)
4 + 1 + 3 + 4 = 11 Strength (1 Gold used)
3 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 1 = 10 Agility (2 Bronzes used)
3 + 1 + 1 = 5 Vitality
3 + 1 + 2 = 6 Magic (1 Silver used)
4 + 1 = 5 Luck

Rolls predicted B)

In the darkest hours of night, when the sun fades from the horizon, and criminals run rampant, the moon shall shine its light upon the one maiden who shall end it.

Born from a legendary bloodline, her step is as a gentle passing breeze, and her sword a roaring tempest. Evildoers beware, for the Zephyr Edge shall be their undoing!

Rolled 13, 19, 10, 3, 5, 12, 2, 6, 12, 5, 8, 8 = 103 (12d20)

Alright, well. Why not.

>Name: Chelby
>Age: 10
>Body: Overdeveloped (+1 VIT)
>Spec: Darkness (+1 VIT, +1 LCK)
>Weapon: Melee (a hammer) (+1 STR, +1 VIT), Duelist
>Outfit: Flowing (+1 STR), Artful Dodger
>Power: Avenger (+1 VIT)

>PERKS:
>Martial Training (+1 STR), Flexibility (+1 AGI)
>Natural Aging (+1 VIT), Interdimensional Home
>Defender (+1 VIT), Disguise Artifact (+1 LCK)

Can I just dump all of my coins into boosting VIT and LCK to be indestructible, or is that not kosher?

Enjoy never doing damage to anything ever going that route.

That build is perfectly viable in SCS and MGX. It's only worthless in AMGC, where every build is bad unless you minmax hard.

>Wants to minmax LCK and VIT
>Has the expected downside.
Hurr durr, clearly AMGC is the worst. Please friend, tell me how LCK is good in MGX. Last I checked it was straight worse than AGI.

>evenly distribute stats across 3
>can't hit often
>can't dodge often

So what's the upside of not being a glass cannon or a wall?

Even distributions are bad in most systems, you should invest primarily in one ore two stats with some points in a third stat. Glass cannons are more vulnerable to bad luck and Walls don't kill things.

That's a single-player mindset, though. Ideally, you should have various builds in a party covering a lot of different vectors of both offense and defense.

Rolled 11, 15, 7, 3, 10, 10, 19, 13, 9, 16, 5 = 118 (11d20)

Because who comes to a session prepared with a character? Not this guy.

>perfectly viable in MGX
>Luck has almost zero function in MGX
Naisumeme.jpg

If this post is divisible by 3, I'll go DMG.
If it's divisible by 4, I'll go Nat MonG.
If dubs, I'll go CMonG.
Otherwise, normal Mahou.

Natural Monster Girl + DMG.
I see.

Gelda was formerly a young teen by the name of Claire. Fleeing from a boy who mistreated her terribly, Claire managed to trip her way into a life-changing situation where she was forced to become a magical girl. While the Puchuu was fairly understanding of her situation, the girl quickly escalated the situation out of the Puchuu's control, her twisted perception of the world warping the magics influencing her. Becoming what she insists is her "True Self", Claire renamed herself Gelda Osiris Devarii. Seeing other magical girls and monsters as highly beneath her, Gelda pursues the purge of all of these beings so that she may incorporate them into her own being, a weird galactic mass hidden behind the shell of a young woman.

At first glance, Gelda seems to be relatively normal physically, even in her monster form, but close inspection makes it hard to feel anything but unease around her. Instead of eyes, swirling stars and the blackness of space can be seen, and her words feel as if they have the weight of Time itself behind them. Small minor details, such as lack of imperfections and unusual movements make Gelda seem otherworldly on sight.

How do I get started on all this IRC nonsense?

IRC clients exist.

Just join, talk, take it at your own pace, lurk the RP, and when you feel you have an idea of what you want to do or feel comfortable just jump right on in.

Do I need to register my character somewhere first or something?

Nah. Most people have about half a dozen characters anyway, so registration would get redundant.

People will assume your shit's legit unless you're blatantly cheating.

Pretty much what said. There is a google spreadsheet of characters and their stats. I personally don't use it and just keep all my sheets in pastebins. Makes it a little easier and I can add notes to the sheets and easily share them. But that's just me.

Right, which is a further case for specialization. However, the effect you identify here is system-independent.

Right. It being a community-based mindset problem doesn't make it not a problem.

I'm not the guy arguing that it is, I just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

I would argue it goes even above the community, though, and the original point was to bash AMGC for whatever reason possible. Since it's AMGC-independent, the motive to push the point is gone.

Eh, even in D&D communities only the most self-aggrandizing of munchkins will build their own character in an attempt to do literally everything and invalidate party play. Even most solo campaigns require the player to recruit NPCs or obtain magical items over time to cover weaknesses in a build, as opposed to just being perfect out of the box.

AMGC's mechanics do encourage focusing on the "me" instead of the "we" (especially if that "me" can kill everything before they can act), but it's more of a problem with the playerbase as opposed to the system, since you can just as easily have a well-rounded party in AMGC. In a magical girl setting, really the only people that should be running solo are DMGs and MonGs, who both get power-ups to compensate their lack of a party.

This counts right?

That kind of looks like the girl from Kill La Kill that eats a lot.

That's because the meta is to have a character that's built to pvp and take down the other as quickly as possible.

Quick sessions are a priority thanks to how large the irc is and the diversity of time zones, so trying to have stall/attrition builds are just going to irritate the gm and other players. It's also objectively a suboptimal way to play when most of the meta builds can deny you in the first or second round.

I must confess that I was surprised when I went through AMGC's mechanics and a number of things seemed to point towards the system being crafted for long term campaigns. I think it's a case of the system devs simply not understanding their target demographic, or for that matter, understanding how to reflect the values of mahou shoujo accurately. One shot monsters of the week should be the norm, not whatever AMGC seems to be written in mind for.

AMGC is just an amateur project, which is why the system is so...

Simple. Yes, let's call it that.

There's no complexity or thought put into what a character can do other than attack /defend.

That's why bursting is the meta.

There is no other way supported by the system to play. Period.

At least in AMGC. If you want complexity, group play, and a developer who understands magical girls, well...

Try SCS. Trust me on this.

AMGC is an amateur project, but good projects aren't necessarily always made by pros. Some of the best ideas I've ever had are things that I came up with when I was much younger and less experienced, and the only thing that changed with that is how refined those ideas were. Doesn't make them bad ideas. Hell, Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general have had loads of good ideas that random people have come up with, most of them not exactly designers. AMGC's not any different. If I recall, KS was primarily made by some dudes that had no fucking clue what they were doing with a couple of good artfags in tow.

Besides, AMGC was originally designed with the intent to be an extension of Jayne's system with additional perks and powers to expand on the CYOA, and in that department I consider it a supreme success. Do I think the SCS is better as a mechanical system? Well, obviously, but I'd be a fool and an idiot to not see the potential within AMGC. There's a lot of good writing potential in there, even if the mechanics are less than stellar (in my own opinion, which people are free to disagree with).

>If you want...a developer who understands Magical Girls...
There are many people in this community who understand the genre loads more than I do. They're the ones that helped make the SCS as great as I consider it to be today.

so why did you harass and threaten to sue sahara lmfao senpai...you're two faced and fuckin skeezy as hell

Citation required.

source: i talked to sahara you fuckin nerd and she announced to the chat she quit because of it months ago
and didnt rp again
Senpai please try harder

Nobody cares, go away.

Link to the Discord please?

Here you go!
discord.gg/VbvPd

Source: sahara said that nothing was wrong with the IRC and that leaving was due to having a new job.

See how reliable this shit is.

SHITPOST INCOMING

SHITPOST INCOMING

Fla/m/y

Rolled 10, 8, 2, 12, 5, 18, 13, 20, 20, 7, 15, 8 = 138 (12d20)

Rolled 16, 9, 14, 17, 14, 2, 14, 19, 8, 18, 15, 20 = 166 (12d20)

Rolled 2, 4, 11, 5, 16, 6, 8, 6, 18 = 76 (9d20)

ally roll

If your mahou were a soup, what kind of soup would she be?

Alcohol used as the main liquid with anything else in it.

is this a runemaster, or...? I see SQ4 on there

The spicy sort.

How does your mahou view their duty? Do they see themselves as a beat-cop cleaning up the streets? A noble crusader for justice? Or are they just the night janitor?

>How does your mahou view their duty?

As they either don't have one, as a platform to further their own objectives, or as an excuse to vindicate what might be seen as less than desirable behavior.

What are the limits for the ways I can use Reinforcement? Can I project barriers and throw them as ranged blunt weapons?

I mean

that's not direct harm, right?

maybe they also stop harm from both ends?

Borscht.

She is one of the many soldiers in an endlessly expendable army, to be thrown at the enemy until the foe drowns in their blood.

So, the same way she viewed fighting in WWII.

>I dropped a door on his face but that's ok because doors aren't classified as weapons normally.
How is bludgeoning someone not direct harm?

Does she expect to be shot by her teammates if she steps back?

Direct harm from her, that is. But eh, semantics really isn't my thing. Maybe that's why I'm not a great powergamer.

*from the Reinforcement girl

Yeah, by that logic any weapon that isn't your fist qualifies.