Magic exists. Are stage magicians out of a job?

Magic exists. Are stage magicians out of a job?

Is magic flashy?
If not, then no, stage magicians are not out of a job.

Nope.

They have to step-up their game.

Who cares

Mundane slight of hand probably has its uses.

Magic exists. Magic users are rounded up by the government for military contracts, experiments, or simply execution. Stage magicians are free to continue their careers normally.

>a group of rogue antipaladins that call themselves the Order of the Fallen seek out a mishmash ensemble of gear that, when assembled, will lead to the dissipation and destruction of all magic on Golarion by way of destroying the god of magic, Nethys. That gear consists of the Maw of Oblivion, an exceptionally powerful sphere of annihilation that the gods themselves fear; the Lens of Galundari, a mirror lens able to hold beings of great magical power, possibly even those of a deity; and the Runescroll of Rhal'sae, a parchment with a series of runes so powerful that rumor has it that the scroll has the power to summon a direct audience with a god. The Order of the Fallen is lead by one Miles Revan, a former paladin of Iomedae that came to hate magic-users because of how easily the tide of battle could be changed with magic and how so much destruction could be caused with a simple chant of a spell. With this view fully cemented in his mind due to the needless slaughter of several of his kin by a twisted sorcerer, Revan threw himself to the books to learn about magic at its core. It was there that he learned of Nethys, and he committed himself to finding a way to destroy the magic mad-god. The road to killing a god is one fraught with questionable morals and ethics, so it came as no surprise that Iomedae eventually denounced Revan, fully severing him from her own holy magic. Revan's crusade deepened as his own god turned her back on him, causing him to believe that Iomedae was just as corrupted by magic as the rest of the world, and spent several years seeking out other fallen champions to spread the word of the unyielding corruption that is magic, slowly amassing a cult of paladins completely shunned by their gods and other sellswords, which would become the Order of the Fallen.

"My lady, you deserve a first-rate wizard. But I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a second-rate pickpocket."

>"Hey, if you were a REAL magician, wouldn't you be in Auschwitz?"
I feel like this would hamper stage magic more than actual wizardry.

There are a number of illusionists that make it no secret that they aren't doing real magic, doesn't make it less entertaining. If anything the issue would be real wizards pretending to be fakes.

>There are a number of illusionists that make it no secret that they aren't doing real magic

That'd be an interesting parallel to real-life magicians: instead of convincing audiences that they're observing magic, illusionists would have to convince audiences that everything they're doing is just clever slight of hand with smoke and mirrors. Audiences in the real world try to identify where the magic DOESN'T happen, while audiences in the "wizards go to jail" world would try to identify where the magic DOES happen.

>Medicine exists. Are snake oil sellers out of the job?
>Reason exists. Are priests and preachers out of the job?

They are now instead hired to perform shows for real wizards, who watch the show with detect magic or some such going, appreciating how much the magician is able to do without the things they rely on most.
*tips fedora*

DEPENDS

ON

THE

SETTING

YOU

HAVE

NO

IMAGINATION

Nope

No, Stage Magicians use it to make their tricks even trickier, and become the first to master it.

No, stage magicians are simply the performance aspect of it.

A few possible responses:

1. Stage magicians aren't limited by mana or spells per day.

1a. Stage magicians do not risk paradox, drain, insanity, or warp perils while working their trade. Real magic is far more dangerous than mere card tricks.

2. Not everyone can afford a magician to do tricks for them. A powerful noble might have them perform for dinner parties or feasts, but peasants and other rabble could settle for simple sleight-of-hand tricks.

3. Magic-users tend to have huge egos and will not normally stoop to such lows. They are no mere conjurers of cheap tricks! As such there are very few magic-user performers, but they are in demand due to their rarity and spectacle.

4. Bards, if they exist and can use magic in your setting, could fill this niche.

There are real martial artists yet stage fighting is still a thing. I imagine the answer is a similar "no" to your question.

>"real" magic is boring compared to stage magician magic, like the difference between a real life gun fight and a John Woo gunfight

3D computer animation exists. Are cartoonists and stop-motion animators out of a job?

This is pretty fair.

MMA can be a bloody mess, but most of the time it's 3 straight minutes of two guys hugging and rolling around on the floor breathing into one another's armpits.

But fuck stage magic, think of the WWE of magicians.

All the spells are showy as fuck, they're doing suplexes from temporary clouds. Gandalf the Gripper is calling out Lich King Kong for a grudge match in the pentagon for the Belt of Champions. The S-S-Sunday night S-S-Smackdown between giants from east and west launching flareballs, lightning beams, and the Touhican Triangle Dust to end the ladder match.

The allure of magicians and stage magic is wondering how the fuck was the trick done. I'm pretty sure if real magic arrived and magic shows were all explained as "lol it's just MAGIC", it would get pretty dull and boring real quickly. Real magic wouldn't last that long as an entertainment medium.

Chances are very few real wizards would actually be willing to enter show business, so stage magicians would be fine.

You make it seem like being a magician and knowing sleight of hand contradict each other

>real magic is boring
>Mages #1 and #2 both start casting sleep
>Mage #1 finishes first, knocks Mage #2 the fuck out
>Fight's over in under 10 seconds

I'm okay with this. I could see it as part of a wizard dueling tradition or magic tournament. It would be kind of like jousting, a way to allow magic-users to safely show off, while encouraging them to keep themselves fit and ready for war.

Finally, they're gonna be called and recognized as ILLUSIONISTS!

The public will still have some concept of things which are impossible, and that's what magicians are about. Whether they use tricks or magic AND tricks, they'll be aiming to do things that commoners do not think even magic can do.

Makes sense, real magic users would probably be offended by people pretending to do magic.

that goddamn creature on the right.

It's a show. If anything, they'll just get more tools to work with.

Guys I found the Technocrat!

My first reaction too.

Magic exists.

Are carpenters out of a job?
Are actors out of a job?
Are scientists out of a job?
Are priests out of a job?
Are cooks out of a job?
Are musicians out of a job?
Are politicians out of a job?