Let's fix Dragonborn! D&D's most complained-about race!

Let's fix Dragonborn! D&D's most complained-about race!

Would Dragonborn be more interesting if they were smug frog-people instead of literal dragon-people with dragon heads and dragon warrior dignity?

Other urls found in this thread:

glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonewts
glorantha.tumblr.com/post/96654096148/whats-the-deal-with-dragonnewts
athas.org/articles/dark-sun-dragonborn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Give them tails.

Done.

Give-
Came here to post this.

nah, make them warrior monks that hire themselves out to pay the bills and get some worldly experience when all they really want is to sit and meditate on how best to perfect the gap between bestial might and terrible cunning that they somehow find themselves in the perfect spot to figure out

How would they run? You'd need to restructure their legs, too, and make them more kangaroo-like. Frogs are structured much more like humans, but a frogman might have to drop its pants all the way down to urinate.

My only problem with Dragonborn is that they don't have tails.
If I want to play a reptile person, I would rather play a Lizardman than a Dragonborn, because Lizardmen have tails.

Playing a Dragonborn is like playing a cat girl who has the face of a cat but has human ears instead of cat ears and doesn't have a tail.

glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonewts

These is your dragon people now

Make them Kobolds.

>glorantha.tumblr.com/post/96654096148/whats-the-deal-with-dragonnewts

Honestly, they sound pretty great. Would be a proper bitch to RP well, though.

They're just draconians without the Dragonlance faggotry. That's good enough for me.

>D&D's most complained-about race!

This one of those things where the OP assumes their own personal experience represents the majority?

Obviously you can change it how you want, but you have to keep the 'I'm going to kill you with a dragon bone sword I made from my own dead body' part.

Normal people, but their heads are full, though small, dragons. Just the full dragon, but as a head on a normal body.

>most complained-about race
'Dragonborn' is a funny way to spell Kender.

>Dragonpepe
>Talks in cliches
>Likes lolis and are pedos
>Fight over trivial facts
>Have fictional waifus and will fight you over them
>Misnames song titles
>Deity is called Bane

>Would Dragonborn be more interesting if they were smug frog-people instead

Based solely on my experience, I'd say no, They already have a frog race- Bollywogs, or something like that. I forget how it's spelled but that's because no one I know has ever wanted to play one. Granted, it was in the Monster Manual rather than a Player Supplement or DDI Article but still. No one has ever come to me and said "You know what? I want to be a giant frog."

That said, there's probably plenty of people out there that want to be frogs. More power to ya. But we don't need to change Dragonborn for that.

athas.org/articles/dark-sun-dragonborn

You don't since there isn't anything to fix. They make for an excellent visual counterpoint to the more human-like races, and are great Klingon expys.

Pepe should die in a fire. And if you want frog people, just use Grippli or Bullywugs.

I get that some people have a hard time getting over the assumptions they have built up over the years of fantasy where anything vaguely reptilian must have a tail, but fuck them. Sometimes a beast race doesn't have a tail. It also better differentiates them from lizardfolk and makes assumptions about armor costs and other such things when swapping between other humanoids as few as possible.

And fuckers who seem to confuse small kobolds with the much larger dragonborn are fucking annoying.

Most of the complaints are grognards unable to handle something different from their weird expectations and assumptions about how things work.

>dragonborn
>in dark sun
>the setting where there's exactly one dragon
>and it's explicitly the most broken force of destruction

Kobolds should have dogs heads anyway, fucking scalies forcing their weird fetishes into perfectly normal furshit

I wish Dragonborn were Lizardfolk rather than Dragons, I hate how connected to dragons they are.

Why are white supremacist memes allowed on Veeky Forums?

make them "path of the dragon" from dark souls

Why would you want one race to be just like another race? Dragonborn are descended of dragons, it's what makes them dragonborn. You want lizardfolk? Just use lizardfolk.

because apparently Veeky Forums is a board of peace and dindu nuffin.

Go away frogposter.

froglok best race

Ok, obvious shit out of the way:
>Tails
>Dragonborn are scalebait and anyone who doesn't like them has the right to (request to) remove them from a setting
Now that's over with, this is how I dragonborn in my setting

To start, they're born looking rather bland, like a human child covered in scales, but as they get older the more draconic features start to crop up. Their signature breath attack develops at around young adulthood, horns and tails develop in the middle aged years and then when they can be considered elders they finally sprout their wings. Most never live to see their wings spread, but it's a goal most wish to reach. Their color is also indiscriminate of their ideology - metallics are just sub groups of the chromatics, the same way a typical american is different from an aryan it's more about slightly different genes.

Is it an autistic as fuck way around it? Probably, but I think it's up to player interpretation in the end, and as long as it's not rule breaking or disturbing the peace with the group you do you

Also
>tits or no tits?
Again it really depends. I go for it as muscles for fire/cold/poison breath ect, resulting in big abs on the guys and a modest rack on the ladies, but that's about it. They don't need nips because they're reptiles, but if there's an excuse for breasts that makes sense then, again, up to player interpretation (poison sacks, bones, muscles, non existent)

Too many scalies in this thread.

Nope.

Nope.

Noooooope.

Bane is an actual forgotten realm diety. Hes a pretty big god. For you

But no seriously he's actually a major power

Make them argonians

Does he crash planes with no survivors?

Does he wear the mask?

But they aren't reptiles. They are dragons. Dragons in D&D aren't reptiles.

Reptile eggs are soft shelled, dragon eggs are hard shelled like birds.
Dragons are hot blooded and endotherms like birds and mammals, and unlike lizards.
Dragons have a mammalian body plan, and not a reptilian body plan.

Yes and yes. He literally piloted his celestial domain, his plane of the afterlife, into Gruumsh's so that he can wage eternal war. He also wears a helmet, which is kind of a mask, at all times.

The problem is that doesn't explain why they would have tits as opposed to muscular chests. There's no reason why a lizardwoman would develop mammary gland analogs.

I fix them by continually telling my players that dragonborn don't exist in this setting.

Not him but my problem is that the faggy dragon race is the core one, as opposed to a lizardfolk type deal which I think is more setting agnostic

They could be flotation devices

thats it im /out/ fucking furry shit...

mate attractors, no weirder than brightly colored scales or plumage.

We already have our deity of darkness, obscurity and chaos.
Sometimes spelled Kuk

Instead of...whatever the fuck they are...they should be sort of like Warcraft's dragonkin; cultists devoted to a particular dragon and given their form either the dragon itself, or their own crazy rituals.

As PCs, their dragon is either dead-leaving them distraught and without a purpose, alive - meaning their adventuring is essentially a way to spread the dragon's influence.

Give them have bonuses to strength and constitution, but penalties to willpower and charisma, seeing as they are glorified servants.

Take away the wing crap, they get a breath attack corresponding with the dragon they served/served.

Trips truth.

Most people playing dragonborn or kobolds are wanting to play dragons but still fuck or wield cool tools. There could be a sentient dragonlet race, people wouldn't play it because no fucking. There could be humanoids with dragon wings, people wouldn't play it because not dragon. They want to play dragons who fuck and use cool tools, and I personally don't want that goofiness in my game.

Warcraft dragonkin don't have wings.
Also you would basically want Drakonid body with Dragonspawn mentality right?

Pretty much.
And the wings were referring to the Dragonborn wings they can choose instead of a breath weapon.

You know, I was gonna say that if someone argued that the opposite was true then males would also have tits, which would bring in all sorts of magical realm conflict which I would not want to deal with, or neither would have tits which is much more appropriate, or what said (just there to turn the boys on), but then 4chin crashed.

So....fuck it, I'm beating a dead thread with a keyboard, you do you, ignore what anyone else tells you

Make them old slaves of the dragons who were mutated by dragon magic over time. However, the dragons eventually abandoned them in favour of more easily-controlled kobolds and they formed a caste-based society of their own afterwards.
Have them be a race from a small, barely functioning nation that was only able to resist human occupation because of the difficult terrain. In 4e, they were the same as any other race - a proud fallen empire - but with nothing else to make them stand out. So lets make them a joke on the international stage, with dragonborn mercenaries explicitly stated to be no better than humans and only wanted because they look scary.

>Invited to game
>one is rolling tiefling
>another is dragonborn
.....uh....sorry guys I'm gonna be busy sunday.....next sunday too

Give them tiny tails.

It's cute.

>looking back on that post
>heavily implies that half a race are qt draconic girls
>the other half are traps
>because biology you probably wouldn't know even if they dropped their pants

I'm reconsidering the things I did leading up to that post

idgaf, they're good

DWI

Gonna be busy sucking cock and being a big smelly faggot.

For real man, why is that so much of an issue ? I DM and play, every group I've played in has a very diverse roster of characters.
Sorry not every one wants to play your accounting simulator of a campaign aka *yawnsville*