Why is he so popular?

Why is he so popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/invisible-sun
youtube.com/watch?v=XDlXierCCeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know who that is.

Nostalgia, insanity and pure dumb luck.

Okay, that's unfair. He also has a lot of interesting desires and plays around with weird and wonderful concepts. He just almost always undermines them (Numenera) or presents them in the most utterly fucking insane ways he possibly could (Invisible goddamn Sun)

What is Invisible Sun? See for yourself.

kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/invisible-sun

Invisible Sun is a game that costs $200 to buy. It's basically Cypher System (consumable cyphers, spending points to lower difficulties), but with d10s and D&D 5e's advantage/disadvantage.

Actual play: youtube.com/watch?v=XDlXierCCeQ

Invisible Sun is a special game because it lets you schedule one on one sessions with your GM between group sessions! For these, you earn XP and one-use superpowers that let you blow away major obstacles. So if the party was having huge trouble with something in the session, you can schedule a one on one session to win XP and solve that problem off-screen.

If you can't make it to a session, that's fine. Your character will "fade away" into the real world, and everyone will play without you. You won't earn XP (in this game, everyone can earn individual XP for doing things!), but that's fine, because you can just schedule a one on one session later to catch up on XP and one-use superpowers.

But even if you attend all group sessions, you can still schedule one on one sessions if you really want more XP and one-use superpowers. Invisible Sun is an RPG that rewards dedication!

This looks like a good way to get laid through RPGs. Basically you schedule """"1 on 1"""" sessions with the DM (who will be you) and get qt girls to join your game so that they play with you alone and you pour them some wine and one thing leads to another and next thing you know you're experimenting with that Testament of Suns whatever the fuck it is.

Monte Cook is trying to help beta spergs get laid with 6/10 women, that's not a bad thing at all.

If you don't mind me asking, how did he undermine Numenera? I always assumed it's somewhat lower-than-expected sales were just due to it being such a radical departure from his earlier work.

I don't know who he is either. So... probably not that popular.

Oh wait, he's a kickstarter whore, got it.

Why aren't you?

Ptolus.

It was all the rage once upon a time. Interesting take on the scale of a fantasy-setting city, plus gorgeous as a stand-alone coffee table book.

After that, huh... Numenera has a cool premise, I guess.

Wow, he got fat.

He's not.

It's supposed to be Awesome Far-Future Science Fantasy 15 BILLION YEAARS INTO THE FUTARE but is basically a bog-standard fantasy world with not!tech magic stuff thrown in at random. Good idea, poor execution.

Anyone else backing Invisible Sun? I don't know if I'll ever run it, but it looks like enough story fuel to be worth the cost, and I love good physical props and presentation. I waited long enough to get the set of keys, too.

Christ.
Fuck Ptolus so goddamn much.

He has a lot of expert advice on markets that he obtained from working at a major corporation. This allows him to utilize a reputation for high production value and interesting concepts to market his product effectively.

Basically, his products are good enough to be played and enjoyed, and his marketing is efficient.

Also, he was one of the lead designers for the single most played TTRPG in the world.

Because there are people that have fun with what he produces.

Becsuse even the people who don't like him make sure they listen to everything he says and read anything he writes.

Because even the people who don't like him can't stop talking about him... lIke you.

You might wanna start by explaining who exactly that is.

Monte 'Ivory Tower' Cook.

There's a very subtle hint in the filename. See if you can decipher it.

I liked his not!3.5 rpg

Monte Cook's World of Darkness?

Maybe? I honestly forget the name of it.

Arcana Unearthed/Evolved?

Or Iron Heroes, but that one's by Mearls.

Arcana Evolved! That's the one

shut up, monte. your constant self-promotion is starting to get annoying.

john wick, "star" designer of 7th Sea