1920+ General

>1920+ is an alternate history of the world and Europe, at the turn of the 20th century. Set in a period when tradition clashed with modernity, and the world was still full of mysteries and secrets. In the time of the industrial revolution, mankind was fascinated by engines, iron and steel, and experimented to build huge walking machines. The geopolitical situation is slightly different, but generally there is an alternative view of history, not a fantasy world. There is no magic here, although rumors say that the Tatars from the south can talk to animals and control the wind... but this is probably only figments of the superstitious villagers. The main difference is the vision of technical development at the turn of the century, and thus the presence of powerful walking machine, both in everyday life and on the battlefields.

as far as alt-history settings go i think that early twentieth century dieselpunk is underrated as hell. 1920+ isn't written for tabletop games but it would make a wonderful setting. there is a boardgame that uses this setting called scythe, but it's a strategy game more similar to risk than GURPS or d&d.

how would you run a campaign with this setting, Veeky Forums? will bump with jakub różalski's beautiful concept art.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAAKxiAKRBw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The whole “1920+ project” at the beginning, was based on on historical events: the Battle of Warsaw in 1920 and the Polish–Soviet War (February 1919 – March 1921). This battle is considered by many historians as one of the most important in the world’s history, since it changed the fate of Europe and stopped the Red Revolution. After the first world war, the atmosphere in Europe was filled with revolutionary thoughts. Bolsheviks decided to take advantage of this situation and started to move forward to the west with a huge army.

Is it Poland-wank, or is there fun pre-stalin Soviet stuff?

superblyat

the boardgame lets you play as the 'rusviet union' which is essentially pre-stalin. its figureheaded by the lady in the picture who roams about with her siberian tiger called olga. for a strategy boardgame that's a suprising emphasis on character - every faction's 'protagonist' has an animal companion for some reason.

Dieselpunk, sure.
But mechs?

Tanks and planes were the big new things. Play up those, there's plenty to draw from. Mechs are animu and drastically out of context. And to what end? In the setting the technological innovations of industrialized war are THE big game changer as is, why force a 90s trope in there?

yes

>Mechs are animu

I lik3 the look of this.

I would be down for a game, but i have 2.5 games on the go as it is. Plus i know very little of the time period.

Macross

woops, i mean the tiger's called changa. the fluff surrounding them seems to be a dieselpunk interpretation of the anastasia story which is weird because the soviets weren't much a fan from what i remember.

Do these metal boxes on legs look animu?

look at this shit and tell me that seeing these strolling across the polish countryside would not be cooler than a couple of tanks.

Absolutely.

youtube.com/watch?v=qAAKxiAKRBw

They just look really easy to disable. Their movement also challenges suspension of disbelief. Leaving power fantasy and fetishism, not a lot to build on.

And?
There is animu about tanks, too.

that's a bit of a stretch, user.

>rolling a soviet spy sent to the polish mech-yards to gather intel, blueprints and stealth out a little bit of sabotage before hopping in to a battlewalker and roasting the place to cinders

>fantasy? in my tabletop games? get out of here you rat fuck
besides, there's nothing wrong with playing an unrealistic concept if it's fun. you could play a standard mech-operator, sure, but you could be literally anyone else, like a crimean peasant caught up in an ambushed supply run or a member of the saxon aristocracy fleeing the city as it comes under mech-assault. or... whatever's depicted in this picture here.

bump

I do like this setting and the concept art is some of the best I've ever seen.

This is like anime-tier writing.

As the guy who mentioned anime aesthetics before I just want to say: That's not me.

And I have to agree.

I do like the vehicles, but I see what he's saying - compared to everything around them, the sort of things that existed IRL in the 20s, and basic physics, the mechs here do look wrong

The guns are too big and too advanced. They're too big in general, really. The legs are way, way too small, on all of them - the spider tanks look the best, but even then.

They're all very nicely drawn and done, but I do see what he's saying and agree with a lot of it

Have a robot (possibly a BattleTech Marauder) joining the attack on the winter palace

I really like what the setting sounds like, and that art is great imo. Seen stuff by that guy a few times on teegee but this is the first time I hear about the setting.
Where do you get the information from? I'd like to read a bit more about the setting.

It's look better than animu. Animu mechs to often are humanoid robots who looks like dudes in often silly armor.

Plus it's refreshing to see this stuff for post WWI times and factions instead another WW2 with Nazi super mechs.

if you like this stuff, run with it... fuck what these nerds say. They got nothing better to do than break shit down than help you build it up. This idea is awesome. Execution is all that matters in the end.

>dieselpunk
>WWI
>mecha
>zepplins
Muh

this

if only battlefield 1 was this

>hey, the army is fighting someone again
>are you going to help with this harvest or what
>but they have giant robots and--
>IT AIN'T GONNA REAP ITSELF
My great-grandmother would love the shit out of this game. It's her childhood but with mecha.

>"Looks fucking dope, wonder how it's gonna pla-"
>it's a console first person shooter
Why the fuck would you post this on Veeky Forums and get my hopes up

why are there yank flags on those mechs if they weren't involved in Europe at the time?

it has an adaptation in the works but the setting is really cool on its own

joint engineering maybe?