Shit players say

>"I want to play a mute character"

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

One of my friends played a mute in a fallout homebrew campaign. It worked well.

>"I want to play a mute character"

>"You sure? Well good luck with that"
Really I expect the player will go 2-3 sessions before wanting to retire the character after discovering just how annoying that particular handicap is in an rpg.

thiiis.
It's so rough when players make choices that self-sabotages their characters and they wont listen to reason.

We had two players do this at different points in time.

The first was eaten by giant spiders, as she was unable to call for help.

The second I forced to get some high tech voice box bullshit so it wouldn't dick over the rest of the party. It worked as an in group radio so he could communicate with his squad.

He failed to take sign language as a skill and only took spoken English as a skill. His only written language skill was Cantonese. (He was from Hong Kong.)

He delayed a mission when he got lost in an airport and the staff thought he was special needs.

>not carrying a whistle or a horn with you

That's what you get when players do not think... like, at all.

>"I want to make a big fighter."

Sometimes character flaws like that work in other media, but not in RPGs.
I had idea of this cripplingly shy knight that was sort of forced to make great name for his family ( despite wanting to be a scribe / scholar ).
So shy around people that he preferred to stay in his armour and wear helmet lot of the time.

But then I came to realize how fucking awful it would have been to play. The ability to roleplay the character would have been nearly null.

So I scrapped him and went for something else instead.

No, she was a cutesy mage with a terrible past and woe as me I've become mute from trauma.

Being consumed by spiders was a hell of a lot more traumatic.

She's had a problem with that before though. She once played, "A man from the east." It's standard fantasy so I don't really give a shit, but she spent some points to have skin with 1 dr. She flipped out when it didn't stop a battle axe from taking her down, and she couldn't stop a troll with one strike from her curved sword.

>Hey I'm a piece of shit who gets a new character idea every single time I see anything I think is cool on the internet
>I'm not interested in the game you're running at the moment but could you please please please please run a game literally for the sole purpose of letting me play my latest character idea that I'll probably lose interest in after a few sessions

I fucking hate this. I'm a GM turned player (because I literally am just much better at being a player than a GM). Pretty much my best piece of advice for players that want to get gudder is to not have a character concept before session zero. Don't bring your per-concieved shit into the game if you can help it, whatever grand idea you have will never be as interesting or as fun as developing a character specifically for the campaign and with the party as you play.

Also as a side note. Fuck parties that plan away from the GM/DM, that keep secrets from them, and in general try and just dick over and pull a fast one. As a GM watching your players plan is one of the funnest parts and when the players hide shit it just makes you feel separated from the group and like they don't trust you. Its a major cause of "combative" sort of relationships with the DM. I mean the adult thing is just to suck it up and deal with the players doing it, which is what I do, but it still feels like a dick move that a lot of players probably don't even realize they are doing.

Think about that next time whenever you hide something like that. Am I doing this because it will be a fun surprise? Yeah go ahead then. Am I doing this because I don't trust the DM not to dick over my plans? Something is wrong with the group and you guys need to talk it out.

>>not carrying a whistle or a horn with you

I actually did this with a monk, it was one of several vows she was under.
She however was also of the improvised weapon variant and so she fought with a collection of signs she scribbled on.

She actually worked out rather well. There is a certain joy to stabbing someone with a sign that says "Ow."

She also was a immortal engine of rape because neither I nor the dm realized the amulet of mighty fists pluses were SET and not modular, ie, just cause you can get a amulet of flaming fists +1 doesnt mean a aoMF +2 allowed you to swing flaming one turn and electric another.

So She ended up blowing encounters to smithereens. Which was hilarious to me.

My 5e campaign has a ranger who was actually cursed to be mute. It's awesome actually, he really enjoys it out of game because he actually plays it well. It's a little difficult understanding him, but he never goes off on his own unless he's stealthing, and then rejoins the group immediately after.

Yeah, it's not a big issue when everyone in the party has a wrist-mounted computer to communicate.
I've played in a party with a character like that, and she was far more nuanced and expressive than my own character due to player skill.

"I shouldn't have to roll a will save."

Said his character would fail, and that would break his immersion as the hero.

If he wanted to have an immense, amazing will, he should've built his character for that.

Pssh wuss, my mage got dominated and specifically ended up acting like a bound devil and doing whatever she forgot to say he couldn't, and neglecting his work whenever he could. The witch had to spend so much time reeling him in she was distracted from the rest of the battle.

He just thought of his character as the protagonist of... everything. It wasn't even a dominate. It was like, glitterdust or some shit. He just thought he shouldn't have a chance to fail at anything.

Well then ask him what the dice are for.

This.
As long as they have a easy way of communicating in character, it's not a problem.

Even a simple chalk board and chalk works to communicate.

I've been thinking about a my next character, I'm thinking a monk from an order of monks who takes their vow of silence very seriously. Lips sewn shut, and a ring of sustenance.

Pretty much this.
My gaming group has a couple of people who always take Fearless/Presence Defense (Not DnD) so they can play the cool collected type.

I wasn't the GM, and I left shortly after. I had many arguments with him about this kind of thing, actually. That game was terrible.

>player's turn starts
>"Hmm... what should I do?"
>a minute passes
>"Maybe I should... hold on, let me check something."
Motherfucker, there were six people that got a higher initiative and each of them took two minutes at most to do their shit. I don't care if you have ten different spells to choose from or if you're trying to figure out which guy to shoot at, you had plenty of god damn time to think about how your character would generally act in a combat situation both in the ten sessions of peace before and during the fight.

We had a PC play a mute character in Only War. It was actually awesome and brought a lot of depth.

Giving your character a flaw to work around is more fun than your mary sue shit.

I managed to do it, but the character was only functionally mute, not literally mute. No flaw or disadvantage or whatever for it.

I only ever had to break it every few sessions and got by the rest of the time through gestures and taking my own initiative to act.

The problem is when PC's take the disadvantage because it sounds cool, and then never think about how to work around the issue.

>Be me
>Build character to have the highest Fort and Will possible
>Somehow saves almost never happen to me, and when they do they're Refl
>Nat1 Will, mind controlled to kill a PC, do so
>Later in the campaign Nat1 Fort, instant death
GG

Sucks to be you mate.

>Playing race that can't have "mute" as disadvantage
>Crit renders me mute
>DM forces mute on my character
Not like it matters, I actually made for nice shenanigans

Yeah, nomatter what you do, rolls are going to fuck you over and turn stuff into the most anticlimatic and random shit ever. Every time a GM says "fantastic", "heroic" or "epic" as part of a game description I just laugh internally

I'm sorry, can you run that by me again? I didn't understand quite what you meant and I like making monks so I wanted to steal the idea.

>Monk
>Blowing encounters to smitherrens
Pfffhahahahahahaha...ha...ha

Maybe CR-7 encounters

>Stuff that didn't happen

This is a big pet peeve of mine.
There are other players at the table, plan what you were going to do ahead of time. Don't fucking wait to think about it until it's your turn.

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists

>>Alternatively, this amulet can grant melee weapon special abilities, so long as they can be applied to unarmed attacks. See Table: Melee Weapon Special Abilities for a list of abilities.

Assumed this meant that I could simply pick and choose each turn. The dm was similarly wrong.
So I ended up going "Okay so I got a amulet +3 this thing looks like a robot so I'm going to have Bane Construct , Flaming and Corrosive

Each hit did +4d6 damage. So it ended up paste under a flurry of blows.

I wasn't supposed to actually be able to do that, which is how i managed to pull it off.

But the monk was fun on her own.

Trust me if i was going to make up a story "I accidentally cheated so I got to be badass" was not going to be the one I went with.

She and the rest of the group also started at level 10 if that means anything, the idea was so we could play with cool stuff if the rp got cut short. It did.

>There is a certain joy to stabbing someone with a sign that says "Ow."
Oh boy, aren't you so randumb

She already HAD the signs it wasn't that ran. I'm not arguing with the intelligence though, but I had fun so whatever.

>Playing 5e
>Warlock casts hex every single damn encounter
>Even if it's a a single enemy that's half dead on his turn
>Wants to take a short rest every time he's out of spell slots

>"Hey guy's, let's have it so that for every single action, randomness is more important than your abilities by far"
D20 is the stupidest system ever, why anyone though such a poorly distributed model was smart I'll never know

Monk is shit and AoMF is shit because it costs 3x more than a weapon with the same magic bonus, is literally impossible to break the game with it unless you play with vegetative state people.

Literally modular AoMF will not change a thing, I know because I ALLOW THAT THING and still doesn't make up the difference in Tier between monks and everybody else.

>Hex lasts hours
>Hast to take a short rest which takes a fucking hour negating Hex duration
The actual fuck? is he a downy?

the cost has been lowered to 2x in PF, if that's what you're playing. Still not a huge deal, though.

I am more forgiving for newer players, but for seasoned people who have "x years of experience at this game" I give sixty seconds and you lose your turn. I have yet to encounter anyone who has an issue.

It was and eh, guess the dm poorly balanced the quest, not that I would know having not seen his sheet.
Oh well.

I think most people don't think of it lasting between encounters, plus it needs errata to explain what the 90 feet is, most reasonable people would say 90 feet is how far you can target someone with it, but you could also argue that you need to also be 90 feet within the person you knocked out to transfer you hex.

>Dealing 1d6 of any type whenever you want is broken
Never play a magus, your head will implode

That's reasonable attitude in any system with vancian magic (unless there's obvious time pressure for some reason).

Range only applies at the moment you cast a spell, user. If you have a problem with that you can transfer it to yourself

Remind the stupid shit it's a concentration spell, and duration is Level/hour.

-and that's when they get ambushed!

That's what I do with experienced players too.
I even got a little egg timer.

I wish other GMs would do this. I'm in one gaming group with players who have been at it for 25+ years. One of them still has to look at his sheet and recalculate his bonus to hit. Every time it's his turn.

Yeah? Go ahead.

I played a mute character in GURPS because I don't want to play someone with a serious mental illness.

It worked suprisingly well, until the party sold my character and he got raped on a ship. Thrice.

Don't create mute characters, people.

I know that feel. Some people thought I was being too harsh. Nah. You have a six second window to act. We aren't going to wait five minutes for you to make a turn that might do absolutely nothing.

I have relegated myself to forever GMing because when I play in a campaign myself I always have at least one companion who has to stop and protest even when the GM says they will come back to their turn. It's bothersome.

It was mostly that my hits were Bane whatever i want. But trust me my pride in it has already been shattered. ;n;

>As long as they have a easy way of communicating in character, it's not a problem.
I'd argue they don't need even that. Sure, if another party member knows sign language, for example, it's easy to communicate. But even without that you can simply say what you point towards and show some simple gestures. It's no harder than communicating with someone who speaks a language you don't understand, something I have to do on a nearly daily basis.

You can communicate quite a lot without words.

Ah, ok
>Bane to anything at will
Never play Magus or Inquisitor, your head will implode

Don't play gurps with people who sell you to rape ships.

Exactly. Playing a mute character isn't as easy as a person thinks. Generally people who are better at physically acting out things might be better at playing it, but even simpler gestures a lot of people just cannot comprehend. Our player, his mute character does just fine, if not once in a great while a little spontaneous.

>If you have a problem with that you can transfer it to yourself
...you can do that?

>Never playing inquisitor
HERESY!

I actually did that when they removed my tonsils + another sugery in the thorat, do you have a problem?

No, you can only transfer the spell when someone it knocked to 0 HP, so if you did that you'd be stuck with it on you. But it doesn't matter because you can still recast it even away from the body as he said

>Playing a mute character isn't as easy as a person thinks.
Unless you're the beatstick. You might be expected to nod to show agreement and turn your head to show disagreement. Well, it's half right. The latter is actually shown by punching things in the face.

>makes a warlock six times in a row
>dies every time because he's playing them like a goddamn fighter

Eventually it became a running joke at our table

That is true. I'd honestly only play a mute myself if I was a low-int beatstick. But then i'd probably troll and play Barbarian while doing it.

Bladelock is such a trap option

I'm assuming you don't mean a ranged fighter either.
I have a bard in my group that does it too, they chose the lore path. They've cast 1 spell in four sessions Please kill me

No he would get too close plant ass and try to blast them in melee range

I have no idea why

He wasn't dumb, pretty cool guy, just failed at warlock

he was black, is that the d&d equivalent of holding your gun sideways?

Your last comment sir made me chuckle. I'll see you in hell.

>Zap zap muthafucka

>he was black

Ah, he's trying to play a character from his shonen animes. I'm sure he'd be a magus in pathfinder

>Sir
>Chuckle
>I'll see you in hell
Why not just give him an upboat?

>"I'm totally fine with character death. I can roll with the punches, blah blah I dunno about the other guys, but I can take it"

>[gets KO'd first session, immediately ragequits and makes a new PC]
>[spends the next month of real time bitching about the system is unfair and he's not sure he wants to keep playing]

I swear to god.

>he's trying to play a character from his shonen animes.
I guess it's possible

He didn't seem exceptionally weeb to me but we did have another guy in the group who was otaksmo maximo and would always describe his characters in a manner that would make me think of pic related

>i want to play a mute character
>sure we're playing GURPS so theres rules for it and you get bonus character points for the disadvantage.
I really dont see the problem with this its an interesting character trait thst could lead to some fun problems, and if your players have such poor foresight and attention span to get annoyed/bored with it quickly you could always get it cured in a fun sidequest.

I played a mute before. The game was Dark Heresy Ascension and my character was a Stormtrooper from Krieg.

Mute character + gas mask on all the time = sign language and body language to convey emotions. It was fun and challenging.

Thanks, Reddit

That image...

ITT: Stuff Shit GM's complain about.

Who the fuck cares?

>Buying an Amulet of Mighty Fist on a Monk

When will people stop falling for this?

I played a mute Ninja/Monk in Pathfinder who kept a scroll and brush on him to talk. It was pretty funny whenever he disagreed/argued with someone.

Except that doesn't mean shit, my divine caster monk hybrid got crit by some Mook with a maul and got instakilled, with his dying breath he asked he prayed for assistance and ended up trading his voice to continue living

Although the character didn't start off mute he became one of my favorite characters, ilmater gave him the ability to cast his divine spells if he suffered for it(basically used blood magic) and he would carry around charcoal and a board to communicate with his party, made for some really interesting interactions

>inb4 hurr durr dnd is shit

I don't care about your opinions and this thread nor story is here to argue them

Whenever I advertise an online game there's always someone who insists on playing a blind character - regardless of the system. If I had a penny for every time I've had to explain that blindness would make the character functionally impossible I'd have like... eight pennies.

> GMs must never complain about anything ever
> Even when their players are being little shits, like players do 80% of the time

>GM's should complain about everything, including something as minuscule as a player who wants to try a mute character.

>user must always munch on bait
>even when it's obvious, lazy bait

Except not everyone does, only vault dwellers.

Dead money has a mute character. It was decent. All the characters in dead money was good.

Friend of mine does this with characters constantly.

Nice gal and all, but I've shot down three different characters that can't see (one was a guddamn archer). I normally wouldn't object too much if it were say a caster class or a bard or something (Had a player in a oneshot make what basically amounted to Drow Stevie Wonder, was pretty hilarious)

Not gonna lie, think it might be some sort of magical realm type deal, really unsure.

Do you just give her daredevil sight and go with it?

dude, unless they otherwise say so, it's usually safe to guess most black guys in this hobby absolutely fucking LOVE shonen anime. especially naruto/bleach/other shit like that. it's just facts.

Christine:

>he's trying to play a character from his shonen animes
Are you the guy who goes around telling everyone to specify "shonen" animes instead of lumping all anime together? Or did he correct you before?

Pretty much yeah, we ended up reaching a compromise with a blind monk (it's a staple of the martial arts genre, figured I and the rest of my players would be better able to suspend disbelief for a blind monk over a blind archer.) who worked with echolocation and a quarterstaff used to get a feel for his general surroundings.

All and all it was a pretty fun campaign, much ass was kicked and many blind jokes were made.

>"I want to play a ferret"

>"It's ok I'm giving the ferret powers"

>"Can I play two characters? I'll play his owner too"

>I want my character to be mute.
sure. That's a hefty penalty which gives you around 40 points to work with on sk-
>I'm going to buy one-way telepathy at range of 200' around me for 20 points.
And then he gets pissed when I say the disadvantage loses points for not actually being a disadvantage.

Shonen animes and the Yugioh CCG are very popular among black guys. Anyone who went to highschool with black kids could tell you that.
They could also tell you about how the black kids who were into D&D, MtG, or similar had to be secret about it so their family wouldn't beat them for being "too white", but that's another story.