MTG LEGACY THREAD - Don't Buy Boxes of Kaladesh Edition

Convince people to not buy boxes and cases. The singles market is the only stable market. Trust me, I'm a first year economics major.

>Playing?
>Testing?
>BDIF/Favorite deck in format?
>Your opponent goes T1 Island, Ponder, pass. Do you rush aggro out the gate or do you play around his counters?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!l1ZUzIqI
mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?25772-Primer-Deck-Burn
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tortured-faeries/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Dragon Stompy
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Sea Stompy
>Spanish Inquisition
>Shitty Wannabe Defunct Sneak n Show Monoblue Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

>new thread
why

2nd for Nourishing Lich talk

Do we need to turn on the ovens again?

Holy fuck you Americans actually only have to pay 100 buckaroos for a box? They're between 135-155 syrup dollars Jesus. Guess I'm going to the states for release if I want a box

Our dollar is so shit, it's seriously not worth it. Look at the exchange rate.

>Your opponent goes T1 Island, Ponder, pass. Do you rush aggro out the gate or do you play around his counters?
I adhere to the wisdom of Patrick Sullivan and play Mountain and pass. On my second turn, I play another Mountain and suspend both of my Rift Bolts.
The dredge übermench have already prepared the oven

Swing by my shop while you're here and git sum Ausfag. Gonna kick your ass just like we did back in World War 2.

Can you upload the cards you've made (in a set, uploading the pictures would be ridiculous)? I'm a bit more ambitious than the people on /cct/ and I'd like to see what ideas you've had.

Nah man, nah. They were horrible and probably deserved to be shat on. Many of them were ridiculous exercises in wishful thinking and gave no thought to conservation of design space.

I really couldn't care less about the conservation of design space, and besides that would like to see if any of its ideas are salvageable.
Wishful thinking gets a bad name imo; it's good to have a high ceiling for what something can potentially accomplish, you just need to accept that some ideas aren't salvageable and polish the ideas that are.

I just did the math, I'd be saving around 30 bucks a box and my friends are thinking of getting some too so travel expenses wouldn't be much either
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to convey

I was just being silly. Also playing at being a historical ignoramus.

Ah I see, it makes sense now. Sorry for my lack of perception atm

posted from last thread because I'm a fucking idiot with ctrl+f

I ordered Underground Seas, Badlands, the BG true dual, and some force of wills from Villa Zheng.

The final result:
The front of the card is pretty fucking spot on. Like I can't even tell its a fake from the front.

The back, however, has pretty noticeable mismatching colors.

Aside from the back colors, though, Villa Zheng's cards are nearly spot on. The cardboard feels the same, it is just about a glossy as a regular card, and the mana symbols/text matches really well.
The real killer is the back color, which will DEFINITELY be recognized by any judge.

This has been an unbiased review from user

How long did it take for you to get your order? I'm still waiting on my order.

Your math seems wrong.
155CAD=117USD
So you're saving up to 17USD or 22CAD

>Testing?
teferi's response and meekstone as sideboard cards
I'm not really sure there is a best deck. Infect is my favorite, but if there is a best deck, it's probably not mine.
i have a great matchup against the "best deck" though
it obviously depends on the contents of my hand, but if I have a t2 kill, I'm almost definitely jamming it, especially game 1.

it took me maybe a week. I wouldn't play any of the cards at comp rel, though.

I haven't touched these in ages. I'm amazed I even have an old set editor still installed. I only kept a handful it seems.

Have at it: mega:///#fm/iRRziTQI

>Playing?
Belcher, LED Dredge, TES with a bootleg manabase, own all the cards for Oops but don't really see the point of playing it with its consistency issues
>Testing?
Different wish targets for Belcher, latest being Reforged the Soul in addition to Diminishing Returns and Telemin Performance for maximum outs in various MUs.
Probably TES, since you can play the long game almost as well as ANT with the wishboard and the antihate cards g2/3 while being able to pull off t1-2 kills with almost the same consistency as Belcher. There's no single best deck since at the end of the day mtg is rock paper scissors with some sprinkles, variance and decision making on top.
Either cabal therapy Force or if I'm on Belcher just jam it since daze usually isn't an answer, unless I can probe and see a Force I can't push through with either a Wish or a Belcher. If I can read my opponent as the "counter the nth ritual just in case" type I might trade 3-4 cards to get it out of his hand, but playing out the permanent mana sources out and waiting for empty is usually better.

I'm sorry, but I'm not very familiar with mega and I don't know how to convert "mega:///#fm/iRRziTQI" into an actual link where I can get the files.

I've had a bunch of these in my position, I even played with some at a local Win-a-Mox. The dual lands seem really passable, and some of the older cards discoloration can be chalked up to printing problems at the time. I would be leary of running them at larger events. If your opponent knows what to look for and calls you out, they won't pass under close inspection.

I still lead with a Vial or a Chalice if I have one, but I'll probably wait for Vial to tick up if given the opportunity. You don't beat Miracles by not playing spells.

Just copy paste, my man. Right click the file when the page loads up and the rest should be self explanatory.

>all the preorder Masterpieces are being sold out

I believe you.

>>Playing?
Dredge (led), shardless BUG

>>BDIF/Favorite deck in format?
Above
>>Your opponent goes T1 Island, Ponder, pass. Do you rush aggro out the gate or do you play around his counters?
Dredge only knows one way to victory
For Shardless, thoughtseize is the way

I'm pretty sure you didn't give me a public link, only a link to the folder in your personal account.

Kikes, kikes, fucking kikes.

Tell me about Parfait, what is it missing? On paper it seems great, with awesome CA engine, main BLood Moon, and a way to shuffle cards away, a'la Brainstorm. Why isn't it good enough?

Aight, try this: mega.nz/#!l1ZUzIqI

>own all the cards for Oops but don't really see the point of playing it with its consistency issues
It's fine, you have belcher, the hero Legacy needs.

I said 135-155, I've seen them go from anywhere between that. The store I'd be going to is 145 a box which is roughly 110 USD. Yeah you're right I'm a fucking idiot and can't simple addition/subtraction. Well I'd still be saving a lot of money considering I've got 150 USD already and I have several friends interested as well.

>playing
Miracles soon to be lich
>BDIF
whatever deck you're good with
>FDIF
miracles
>t1 your opponent goes island ponder pass
I wait to see till turn 3, which is when I can Deploy my first threat

lie, miracles players don't have friends
even through you seem a decent guy

>>Your opponent goes T1 Island, Ponder, pass. Do you rush aggro out the gate or do you play around his counters?
lel if that's his t1 he may as well have prepped his anus for my BBGGT dick

Island, ponder, pass is most likely miracles or storm. He could also be on a Show and Tell deck or UR Delver. In either case, I don't think I can just wait around.

>The singles market is the only stable market
If you're going to look at your cardboard like an actual investment at least get some shit with the governments name out it.

It's in arguably the weakest colors (RW), aside from RWG. There's so much value and power in URx and UGx builds that most decks will almost always outvalue or overpower you. RW simply doesn't have the tools to deal with the major threats in the metagame such as Jace, Stoneforge, Dread Return, Berserk, etc.

This is what I saw

>meet relative at family event
>tells me that he does booster drafts with his wife and 7 kids
>tfw youre dad will never raise you on magic
feels bad man

I think we've established that I don't know what I'm doing.

Key: !m7NdRl1ou83AEJ-tUOSI1ClCi1SDxA8XZl3xGtkmqS4

original user here. Zheng said it would take 10 days and it actually took around 2-3 weeks.

>7 kids
What the fuck

I want to draft with my kids when they are old enough, how many Fallen Empires boxes should I get?

Yeah, some of these are fairly interesting and could work in lower powered environments. I don't really like the skeleton thing though.
Also I'm guessing you play dredge lol, I misread disagree at first to say 'target player discards a card' but without the cantrip and thought it was pretty reasonable, then I reread it and was floored.

Definitely not a dredge player though I can see how one might be lead to believe that. Disagree is actually my favorite. I understand how ridiculous it is but if you axe the flashback and imagine for a moment that dredge didn't exist it almost seems reasonable. I would have used it for reanimator in its current state.

Only 2 of them are interested in legacy but neither will buy into it. One wants to play cloudpost so I'm sure you can see how okay he is facing me. The other hasn't witnessed a countertop on board in a while

Nice man. Only things I'm missing from Grixis Delver is all the expensive shit - aka Wastes/Duals/Forces. I'm gonna place an order.

I'm making a Parfait deck, but I'm going White/Blue because Back to Basics is 1/3rd the price of Blood Moon and I like the colors. I was wondering, which enchantment should I include as the "fuck off aggro" solution?

Island Sancutary - Moat for 2 mana, don't have to worry about card draw if the tax/scroll is online.
Web of Inertia - Combos with Rest in Peace to make it impossible to attack, but otherwise removing one card from the graveyard to attack isn't much of a deterrent.
Ghostly Prison - gets mana-heavy for attacking creatures, promotes opponent to play more lands and therefore keep Land Tax going.

I'm tempted to go the Web of Inertia route just because it's such a spicy and weird lock, but I know Island Sanctuary and Ghostly Prison are the more "normal" choices.

Do all of them

Dammit, esper.

So I got some testing done vs Shardless with Daze in my DDFT list. Still on the fence about the card. Dazing a Hymn or a Goyf felt prettty good but the card gets outclassed fast. Maybe I should have been more agressive about Dazing threats instead of holding it as protection.

>Island Sanctuary
This doesn't stop Delver, which is one of the most played creature cards. Corner-case, but important to remember. Otherwise yeah, a 2 mana Moat is insanely good.

>Web of Inertia
I really, really like this card. Problem being, as you noted, that you need Rest in Peace out in order to make this work to its maximum efficiency. If this is the main lock you wanted to go for, max out on this, RiP, and Enlightened Tutors.

>Ghostly Prison
The catch-all be-all, I think this is a powerful card in your deck. It drops early and really fucks your opponent's plans, especially against my deck or an aggro deck with few lands, ala Stompy.

Final conclusion? One or two of each

So friends, what other formats do you play often and what do you play in them (besides legacy)
When I seldom play modern I play Mono-red skred , the only viable control deck in the format
When I draft I tend to go for either midrange or aggro because I can't get a control deck to work in any draft format
When I play EDH I play pretty casually with a terrible Karona deck and a fun Maelstrom wanderer deck
In standard I try to make a control deck of some sort, usually planeswalker based and Esper colors I also make up boss Sligh decks

For legacy I play muddy water Stax, and Manaless dredge. For Modern I play Gx Tron, and EDH I play Daretti good stuff jank.

Thanks to the Misha's Bauble price spike I was able to finish off my stax with relative ease (city of traitors still hurt though). Wish I had bought more chalices when they were cheap so I could have sold then to all the leldrazi players. It's pretty funny how much people ignore Mirridon- Alara cards untill someone Top 8s with a playset

For Modern, I run Burn and a shitty budget blue Affinity deck with Tezzeret the Seeker. I really just wanted to run old Tez in a deck for some reason, so I built the darn thing for only $70. I plan on someday outfitting it for true Affinity. I'm $150 away from finishing Bant Eldrazi; once I have that done, I'm retiring Modern Burn and playing it strictly in Legacy.

In EDH I'm a huge That Guy, playing both Elfball and Narset Voltron. My next deck is Skithiryx and I plan on making it one ungodly fast, purposely mean deck.

I never draft because I'm terrible at drafting and if I got back into standard I would pile together a bunch of red cards and some Mountains and call it a deck. Idgaf what the meta says, I'm forcing monored and I will make everyone groan at how horrible it plays.

Fucking-A, man. You do you and fuck the status quo metagame. This is the inspiration Magic needs.

I love drafting but never get to do it
I generally just stick to creature strats bc if there's one thing that hearthstone has taught me is that you can usually win just by playing creatures on curve

In pauper I play tortured faeries (which either became big in RL pauper because of me or someone else thought of the same idea or something, but whatever, I'm taking credit).
When I play modern it's generally some variant of a pyromancer's ascension combo/control deck.

>muddy water Stax

Okay, I gotta know, what the heck is this?

How to play TES? Am I just looking to get a bunch of mana and then wish/tutor for tendrils/warrens?

Generally you tutor for either warrens or AN, but sometimes you go off with PiF.
I don't think I have ever gone off naturally with tendrils, you basically need a support spell.

I play Vintage and Legacy. Right now I'm jamming Ravager Shops, but I'm hoping this little number will bring back Stax

Guys, why not play Gitaxian Probe in virtually all decks? It's almost FREE INFORMATION and deck thinning, at the mere cost of two life.

Tendrils isn't even in the mainboard so that would make sense.
If you have cabal therapy available Empty for 12+ usually sufficient if you know their outs and hit those/brainstorm so they can't dig. If you can resolve Ad Nauseam with at least a combination of 2-3 Lotus Petals and Chrome Moxen still in the deck, do so. You don't need LED with Burning Wish->Tendrils.

Midrange and control decks (just Miracles really) don't win fast enough for that information to matter more than the 2 life, if you probe and your opponent goes brainstom crack fetch you've basically just cantripped for 2 life. You need to either kill when the coast is clear or at least set up your next turn with Cabal Therapy.

Are there any Legacy decks that play like the Mono-Blue Prison deck from Standard? I'm a standardfag looking into saving up some cash and getting into Legacy.

Is there currently an up to date offline resource for all cards?

I've seen a couple things, but people warn they may not be current.

I think that knowing whether or not my opponent has a FoW is important, but your point about him playing brainstorm afterwards is legit...
There are plenty of prison decks in various shapes and flavors. See Wasteland + Life of the Loam/Crucible of Worlds as run by the Lands deck; Pox; Stax (white or black); Tezzerator (artifact based control); and Miracles (Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top)

>Checked the store (where I buy cards from) yesterday
>Masterpiece Sol Ring goes for $150 each
>They got 5 left
>I decide not to buy
>Check today, out of stock
What the fuck
Do you guys think the masterpieces will drop in price, or increase over time?
I'm kinda scared I've made a mistake of not buying a playset of masterpiece Sol Rings.

>Tortured faeries
p-post it

Any budget legacy lists? I don't care if they are jank as long as there is theoretical possibility to win.

Why would you need a playset? I mean, they're only played in Vintage & EDH where you only play one.

Nourishing Lich is as jank as they come.

Look at this post and ignore the cards you think are too expensive. Run 20 mountains along with burn and cheap red haste creatures. As long as you can goldfish a turn 4 victory, you'll have a shot at some decks. Just remember Smash to Smithereens in the sideboard against Chalice.
mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?25772-Primer-Deck-Burn

I like the sound of Tezzerator. What's it involve, and what are the more expensive cards that are necessary to get it to run?

Define budget. In my opinion Mono-Black Rack Pox has the highest Winrate:price ratio since there are so many ways you can cut costs in the deck. Burn is probably the most "real" cheap deck

Budget as cheap as fuck. I suppose burn is where it's at, but I rather not touch it.

Can it be ran without underground sea? And does it still end up costing shit ton for being absolute jank?

you might want to double check that exchange rate

Sacland storm? First list i grabbed
Lands
4 Geothermal Crevice
4 Sulfur Vent
2 City of Brass
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

Other mana
4 Lotus Petal
4 Rite of Flame
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual

Card draw/filter
4 Manamorphose
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Night's Whisper
2 Faithless Looting

Protection
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Duress

Business
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Empty the Warrens
4 Burning Wish
2 Dark Petition
2 Past in Flames

Sideboard
2 Krosan Grip
1 Stomping Ground
2 Dread of Night
2 Duress
1 Infernal Contract
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Chain Lightning
1 Pyroclasm
3 Tormod's Crypt

>>Can it be ran without underground sea? And does it still end up costing shit ton for being absolute jank?

Shocks are decent substitutes, and I guess the most expensive cards are the 1-2 Liches and the Shoals.

>be yuro
>if i buy a box during prerelease events id pay 80 bux
feelsgut

You could probably get away with shocks and no Lich, just Nefarious Lich if you run some lim-dul's vaults.
For cheap as fuck, you can play mono black rack pox.
4 smallpox
4 hymn to tourach
4 thoughtseize/blackmail if you're a fucking hobo
3 ravens crime
3 funeral charm
4 the rack
2 necrogen mists
1 pox
4 cursed scroll/shrieking affliction
4 innocent blood
2 dark ritual
1 nether spirit
4 mishra''s factory
3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
Fill the rest with basic swamps.

You can win some games with that and it'it's more fun than burn. You can also upgrade to with money cards once you're wealthy.

Oh you could probably use a copy or 2 of dakmor salvage in there to power up raven''s crime

>>these cheap ass niggas in this thread
Go back to pauper please

Prove your wealth before dissing others. Let's see those guru islands senpai

-2 necrogen mists, +2 Bottomless Pit
-4 blackmail +4 duress
-1 Ravens Crime +1 Haunted Plate Mail

I play modern the most, only because that's what the stores around me play. I play infect in that format, too.
I play kuldotha jeskai and jund reanimator in pauper.
zo-zu the punisher in edh.
I refuse to play standard.
In draft I almost always force white weenie.

Elitist scum, provide pictures for dissing.

I forgot this deck! Might actually give it a try. Thanks for the reminder, this is just the type of jank I was looking for.

You may reveal swag from your collection. If you do, prevent 1 point of damage for each piece of swag revealed this way.

Had a fever dream last night where all the namefags went to a GP together and Esper stepped on a spider pregnant with other spiders, and everyone just sort of scattered.

I'm taking a Nyquil and going back to bed. End blog post.

Sounds like you spend too much time in the legacy thread friendo.

Try magiccardmarket if you're EU.

Show me your summer magic underground seas please.

Actually I really curious if you remember what all the namefags looked like in your dream.

Why has nothing like this opened in the US?

Is there some legal issue with it?

I don't know actually. Theres tcgplayer for the U.S tho right?

literally the first result if you google it (is for me at least)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tortured-faeries/

I'm suprised, this sacland tendrils can actually go off on turn 3 quite consistently. It's just tough on manabase when I want to probe->cabal early on and it fails to deliver that critical 1 black mana.