/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Previously on /5eg/:
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Session:
What are some lessons your party learned the hard way?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!2UwEwQyD!hDiI9GNC5XWArR84KRjLvzOuhNG0O1rMUoOau54Zf-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What are some lessons your party learned the hard way?

That bluffing giants only works if the giant is actually thinks that you are a threat to them.

I can't use this prompt. Fuck you.

Fireball doesn't amount to shit if everything is still alive after it. Make sure a couple people can do aoes.

Everyone fighting a separate target is a quick path to rolling death saving throws.

Third for The Fighter, Revised

That a brand new DM has zero issue with throwing your party into the fucking deep end without a flotation device.

>Your party is all level 3? Here's a room of 6 CR 5 monsters, have fun!

United we stand, divided we fall.

>Fire giants raiding a frontier village for a relic
>We're strong guys! We can take on the fire giants!
>Fire giant crits the cleric and instantly kills him after smacking the party by kicking a caravan into three of the party memebers

Sounds like your guys would get along with mine .

Whats wrong with Fighter?

>what are some lessons your party learned the hard way?
All Cops Are Bastards

Never trust a demon, no matter how much they need your help and you need their help.

Question, Is anyone else pissed that WotC isn't going to be producing anything but Adventure book for for 5th ED and otehr unimportant fluff Volo's Guide to Monsters?

I mean FR is the main setting and their isn't even a updated Book for it? Where's our new classes, feats, monsters, etc.? The adventures seem pretty legit and they add a little here and there. But Jesus", wanting to tell the 'stories' of why Orcs and Goblins are bad" instead of making variants of Orcs/Goblins by tribe for use in our campaigns. Do we really need this?

Anyone tell me if I'm taking crazy pills here. This is pretty much my biggest beef with 5th ED and the main reason I'm not 100% sold on it.

They're relatively weak plus the archetype that grants maneuvers is dumb as it gives you like 5 to choose from...whoopty doo.

How many 5e campaigns have you played in?
How long did they go?
How many characters did you go through?

It's a really, really good edition dude.
If you ever feel you're missing something, it's the easiest edition to homebrew for they've ever created by a long shot.

The endless content train of Pathfinder, 4e and 3e is literally a bad thing.

>Fighters
>Relatively weak
>Battlemaster is too weak
>There isn't an updated FR book
There is, the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide, only only published non-core book that isn't an adventure.
>Volo's Guide is unimportant fluff
You ask for unimportant fluff and then dismiss it as bad?

Anything can be a mimic.
You're low level and just got a a magic item that's above your pay-grade? It's probably cursed.
I mine every theory / speculation that the group has about the story for ideas.

> How many 5e campaigns have you played in?

> How long did they go?
Been going since release (I'm the DM)

> How many characters did you go through?
One of the PC's got murder balled the first session. So the party of 3 has had 4 characters.

I wasnt trying to start another shit flinging contest about whether or not a class sucks dick, I was just wondering what made fighter weak. I've seen it said before but I don't see it. Are barbarians just better tanks?

>been playing the system for 2 years
>"not totally sold on it"

>Where's our new classes, feats, monsters, etc.?
I could use more monsters, but I would rather avoid the rule bloat of prior editions as long as possible.
Archetypes might be cool though.
>Anyone tell me if I'm taking crazy pills here.
You're not and I would really like a setting book on the Realms at least.
I think basically they're trying to not fuck up the setting too much by playing as safe as possible and not telling us much about it at all, combined with cost-benefits of keeping print lines of books relatively cheap.
It's kinda notable that each new adventure they do in the Realms goes into a decent amount of detail about the regions in question in takes place in though; they seem almost like adventure-location supplements with a storyline attached.

Apparently sometime in 2017 the next big adventure will NOT take place in the Sword Coast and North and involve "mazes" or something. Though if I'm guessing right that will be made only after a big adventure revolving around Waterdeep that basically doubles as a city-guide is published.

I'm not arguing for a splat book every 3 months or w/e. But any additional crunch at this point would be nice.

They aggressively refused to set watches for some reason, preferring to fight whatever random thing blunders into their camp. I tried to drive the point home both subtly and bluntly for weeks.

They were still doing this as they moved into more dangerous areas. They slept in a forest known for its deadly creatures. One of said deadly creatures, a massive serpent, set upon them in the night as they slept, and poisoned, killed, and ate the Bard and the Paladin.

Now, they're crying unfair, because they "should've heard it coming".

Always set a fucking watch, kids.

EEPC, SCAG, Volo's Guide, and the monthly Unearthed Arcana.

There's your extra crunch. Volo's Guide is MM2 by a different name.

>fighters
>relatively weak

In comparison to what exactly? Outside of when my party fought a hoard of oozes my fighter has never been anything short of a beastly juggernaut. Maybe in comparison to paladins and certain full casters they seem lacking but other than that they are very well rounded.

Though a revise on the champion archetype would be rad.

Dude the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was garbage. 90% of the information was already online for free. I was actually pretty pumped for it to be released.

>mfw enemy has a magic weapon so he ignores stupid bearbarians

Homebrew. It doesn't need to have an official stamp on it, nor is it supposed to this edition.

I'm in a web of groups that all have large ass google drives full of various homebrews.

I recall someone saying how they want to keep the character building stuff from becoming so big and menacing that it's nearly impossible to get into. Getting into 5th edition was easy cause I got the players handbook and that's all I needed.

I tried to check out 3.5 but there are so many books and compendiums that I don't know where to start. This set up makes learning D&D easy. And easy D&D means more players, which means more customers, which means more money.

If you really want extra stuff homebrew it, they give you guidelines to follow and everything. They even point out which homebrews they like so you can go there.

Then how come most of the homebrew is still shit?

For a specific campaign, it's really easy to makeitems and such and abilities for NPCs I find but finding someting that can be fairly used across many campaigns like a class seems to be hard.

I find many homebrews have serious problems in them somewhere.

Let's talk warlords. Do you think warlords can be done in 5e? Do you think warlords should be done in DnD? Do you think warlord should be it's own class, or a subclass? Is there a decent warlord homebrew?

They don't allow it, or tweak it. Just be sure you actually know how to calculate dice, and aren't just ruining people's fun because it doesn't FEEL right.

Have you actually hinted that it would be a good ideas to the players?

At least one of the characters should have the common sense that deserves you spoonfeeding them a hint 'Your fighter should know from experience that you can't sleep soundly in the middle of the wilderness. You should probably have something set up in case things try to attack you at night.'

Now Storm Kings Thunder is out, do we have any idea what the next campaign will be? If not, do we have an idea when they'll announce it?

Calm down man, they clearly have ideas about putting psychic classes in and they've surveyed about what other settings to visit for 5e. See what they announce next year.

We did demons, dragons, undead, giants and elementals already, so it'll probably be an adventure about aberrations.

>I tried to drive the point home both subtly and bluntly for weeks.

Including, yes, several times explicitly saying "Are you sure you don't want to set a watch? It's dangerous to sleep without having a watch! You're all experienced adventurers and KNOW that!"

And they say to me, paraphrased, "Watches are for pussies. If something finds us, we'll just kill it."

I think with the heavy reduction of the tactical element and wargame-like aspects of the game combined with the simplified rules that Warlords are significantly less necessary and not as important.

If it had to be done I'd make it a Fighter archetype that was a pseudo-Bard, getting a few abilities to buff party members while still functioning as a normal Fighter.

I love Warlords and I definitely think they have a spot in 5e. Everything around like that right now is a poor substitute

>The updated setting book was garbage because the information from old setting books is available online for free
And what would even more new updated setting books provide, then?

The next one is codenamed "Labyrinth" and is due out in April. Most bets are on it being Undermountain-focused, but given CoS was "Cloak" and SKT was "Dagger," predicting it based on codenames is a stretch.

No, but there's been some hints.
I could recount them but I'm not sure how reliable they'll end up being.

This guy right here is an absolute fucker

It already exists. It's called Purple Dragon Knight, it's in SCAG and it utterly sucks.

I think there is a really strong possibility that it's an Undermountain adventure too; it fits the archetype of their last several adventures and they dropped serious hints in a specific place in SKT about it.

If you don't mind? I quite like speculating.

Reposting from the end of the last thread: unusual druid backstories anyone?

"I sure wish I had a fighter archetype that could buff allies like a bard!"
Soooo when are you rolling that refluffed valor bard user?

Woah, tone down the hostility guy.
If someone asks for an opinion and you don't want to hear opinions then filter the word out, because chances are you're GONNA get at least one opinion you don't agree with.
Meh, I agree.
That's why I think it should be a better thought-out archetype if it's included.

>Then how come most of the homebrew is still shit?
Because most people are brain dead and can't even manage to do something as simple as create balanced/decent homebrew?
Here - have some homebrew that's both mechanically balanced and that insults you at the same time!

So basically just that 3.5 book then? Interesting seeing as in retrospect that almost seems like the precursor to their current style.

Oh, right. You probably wouldn't even be in the wrong if you decreased all of their wisdom/intelligence scores by 1 because 'It fits your idiotic characters better' then. Of course, that's a completely dickish move.

I hope they understand the big deal of 'being caught while sleeping' and 'surprise rounds'. Or I hope they don't understand it, because that would make them even more foolish if they understood those rules and didn't act to keep things in their favour.

They really need to at least get the 'alarm' spell.

Do you let them wear armour while sleeping? I'd love to stop people from wearing armour if heavy armour wasn't already so shite.

Does the weapon do psychic damage? Because magic weapons don't break through barbarian resistance normally.

>no slashing unarmed attacks
Literally all you need, and it's not there.

Did you ever play a 4e Warlord?

Why would a cat girl have a slashing unarmed attack?
They would need terribly long finger nails - that's unhygienic.

Have all of their things stolen, or a bunch of enemies that strike them at once, or an enemy that silences and spirits away one of them.
They will learn that they are responsible for letting the wolves in.

>cat girl without long sharp nails

Okay.
So a lot of the Faerun adventurers drop hints at the next adventure in Faerun; OotA had you run into that guy who was a worshipper of the Elder Elenental Eye without any explanation of what that was for example, and then cue PotA which has that same wizard douchebag starting up a lot of the problems of the adventure in the backstory and is ALL ABOUT the Elemental Evil Cult.

STK has a scene in Bryn Shander where the frost giants are searching for an artifact called the "Ring of Winter", which is actually powerful enough that if they got ahold of it it's game over. In addition the guy who is the son of a guy who was searching for it (Artimus Cimber) is a character in an old 2e novel about his search for the Ring of Winter.
They mention he was last seen in Waterdeep, but if you follow up on the lead it goes nowhere, only that the Harper's believe Cimber has gone rogue.

The next product is nicknamed "Labyrinth", and in Waterdeep there is a MASSIVE dungeon under the mountain next to the city called Undermountain.
In addition the book could serve as a 5e setting book for Waterdeep detailing it's locations, something that most of the adventures have done already.

I rule it so if they sleep in their armour, they gain level one exhaustion. Never more than level one, though.

They KNOW about surprise rounds and being caught sleeping, and they've almost died from it before, but since it was only "almost", all it seemed to do was convince them they're fucking immortal. So now they know they're not.

The Bard and the Paladin were bitten by a giant venomous snake, died, and were eaten while the other two slept. They wouldn't stop bitching so I called last week's session there. We'll see if they've learned the lesson when we reconvene this week.

Of course they wouldn't stop bitching, you just "snakes fall, two of you die"d them

Oh, and aside from detailing Waterdeep and Undermountain they could detail Skullport (which is technically part of Undermountain) and include a famous Realms character which they are often wont to do, namely Halaster Blackcloak.

Races are easier, but it works out.

I feel it could probably use a slight extra feature.
Something not too powerful, but unique. Right now it's just wood elf with enthrall and +1 cha instead of +1 wis and missing a couple of elvenish things.

I think an ability like 'If you have not used any movement actions in combat yet, you may use a reaction at the start of someone's turn to move up to half your move speed.'

Obviously doesn't work on a surprise round as you don't have reactions, it's kind of like alertness but provides benefits that something like the 'alert' feat doesn't give and it's probably not too powerful in itself. Just sort of fun little utility to get in someone's face or run away from someone on a not-surprise-round.

That makes a lot of sense. Was hoping they'd do something a bit less generic like Strahd was, maybe a campaign set in Eberron or Dark Sun

PotA came out months *before* OotA.

I can't really add anything to it really. Any more actual features will put it in the "too good" territory. As it stands it's already a race that's actually competitive with variant humans as an optimizer's choice for a decent number of builds.

Apparently sometime next year we might get that too, but I dunno.
All I'm doing is working with available information, of which there isn't much.

If you want my opinion, they won't do Dark Sun until the Mystic is finished and won't do Eberron stuff until the Eberron races get more widely used and statted out.

That actually reinforces my belief; minor drow sidecharacter becomes major plot character in next book.

To summarize everything my main point was that 5th is all around a pretty awesome system. The officall releases are done really well, minus SCAG IMO, and go into into amazing detail about heir section of the realms, like terrain features on a landscape painting. I feel like the landscape background is missing, so there's this nice scenery with no background to base it all on, and a background would be nice.

One level of exhaustion isn't too bad if you're not constantly having to sleep in dangerous places.

I mostly want to avoid penalizing sleeping in heavy armour just because there's very little benefit of choosing to wear heavy armour except if you're a GWF fighter. Otherwise, it's generally always optimal to go dexterity and wear medium armour. Even if you're a paladin, unless you want to multiclass. and have bad stats. .. Which sounds pretty stupid.

So, a beefy plate armour wearer may only have an AC of about 9 or so in a mid-night fight, compared to a dex fighter or paladin or something. And that would be okay, if it wasn't that there's almost no upside to wearing heavy armour aside from '+1 AC' and 'you might get to wear more magical armour if your DM is nice'

But yes, if the night battles aren't major and it's only a level of exhaustion, the ruling should be fine. I'm still salty that heavy armour sucks, even moreso when you can't sleep in armour.

To be honest, he did state he constantly warned them that bad things might happen. And it's completely feasible it might happen.

I think a friendlier DM might have given them some benefit of the doubt so that the players had some chance of fighting back, but they really did deserve to die. And for all I know, they did have a chance of fighting back there.

To not run in the middle of goblin ambush without checking for an ambush.

Also makes sense, cheers dude

If you do anything with a bag of holding it ruin everything.

I was split from the party at the time when it happened
>Get stuff stolen by bandits
>Pursue bandits a day later with two NPCs
>Find bandits massacred and disembowled
>Searching intensifies
Basically they learned that you cant search through dead bodies and organs without people becoming absolutely horrified

It was essentially Murderhobos learned there are consequences to Murderhoboing

Hmm..
I went over comparing it to the wood elf, and I think it is actually balanced in comparison to the wood elf.
So you're probably right.
I saw elves having elven weapon proficiency + trance + mask of the wild + extra language but losing those small flavour boosts is a fair trade for enthrall + 5ft extra speed.

I guess I just think it's a little boring. You see there elves get four little extra things, traded for two things. Though still more exciting than, say, a half-orc.

>perception
Like an elf.
>surefooted
Similar to charm resistances, kind of nice ability.
>40ft speed
Like a wood elf, but a bit better.
>enthrall
Pretty fun. A bit situational, but certainly should be kept.
>+2 dex, +1 cha
A bit similar to +2 dex, +1 wis. Dexterity is kind of the god-stat, and both charisma and wis users like dexterity.
>darkvision
Same as an elf.

It's different enough to be perfectly fine, but I think it'd be better if maybe something was ever so slightly tweaked (Such as speed from 40ft to 35ft) and some new little unique ability be added.

Having that one extra hit to take is pretty exciting to me.

Yeah. The half-orc abilities are good, but there aren't really any minor little extra things other than 'you know orcish and you know intimidation'.

It's fine enough, but then you get ones like dwarfs and elves who get a whole list of tiny little extras.

I've had a character concept rolling around for a while of a warlord type character, but it's basically just a refluffed valor bard.

It's still a little caster heavy than I'd find ideal, but it's not awful.

You could add something if you'd like - I kind of like keeping the feature count low and the impact of the features high.
Elegance in simplicity. And in cat girls~

It's called heroes of the orient, it's a 5e on Dms guild
I'm looking for a PDF of 5e orient expansion, titled as above.

That's not crunch, that's an excuse.

$0.02 has been deposited into your account, you can fuck off now, Shekelstein.

I would personally drop it to 35ft, let it speak to cats and let its unarmed attacks be slashing.

>new classes, class archetypes, spells, races, and monsters
>not crunch

It's not good, it's just simple and thus more attractive to Wizards New target audience: hipster wannabes who watch Big Bang Theory and have the attention span of a coked up kitten.

> it's a really really good addition.

Yep, that extra "really" totally sold me on it. Next time come up with something better. But I guess when (((Mearls))) only pays you a penny per post, you have to make as many as you can so that your wife's son can go to college some day. Good luck.

mega.nz/#!2UwEwQyD!hDiI9GNC5XWArR84KRjLvzOuhNG0O1rMUoOau54Zf-I

I don't know much about it, but I agree.
Battle master seems really dry.

Oh, it's just Virt.

It actually is good. Really good. Some might even say really really good ;)
How are you enjoying playing that monk in 3.5 bro?

Is it possible to play 5e with only a d6? also have anyone has thinked about damage rolls with adventage?

Races are just worldbuilding strain. 90% of new races are filler or slight variations on an already existing concept.

New feats would be nice. Oh wait even adding a single feat will disrupt DnD 5e's PERFECT balance. Because, you know, Booming Blade is balanced. Totally doesn't rape the action economy.

They added new feats in an Unearthed Arcana like two months ago, Virt. If you're gonna use bait, at least use more up-to-date bait. Yours is old and stale, like everything else in your life.

>Is it possible to play 5e with only a d6
Yes but you're going to have to come up with your own fucking math for it, since that won't mesh well at all with the game's mechanical base.

>booming blade is unbalanced
k e k

> this strawmanning / projection

As if the 5e monk is any better. Rogue s only viable because they let Expertise shatter 5e's ((((bounded accuracy))). Which clearly wasn't that important in the first place.

Who strawmanned?
Strawmanning involves making an argument and ascribing that argument to having come from you despite it *not* having come from you.
I asked how your monk was doing ;)

So the action e economy doesn't matter then? Let's start adding new types of actions like they did in 3.5 then, that will end well.

Fucking dumbass. I bet you think bounded accuracy is good game design, too. Have fun with your 20 percent to-hit increase during your transformation between half-trained peasant and nascent god.

I'd like to see a Paladin built around the idea.

Yeah. do however you want to do it but I already know a couple of DMs who've seen it after I might have posted and may or may not have the race included now.

It's mostly just that it kind of tramples over the wood elf a bit, whose main feature was the fact they were the fastest race Ignore aarakocra. 50ft fly speed was a mistake. and having a race that's very similar except even faster kind of devalues it.
And then, they don't actually have any abilities that are generally useful in combat other than advantage against being knocked prone, moving a bit more on your turn and having darkvision that most races have as standard.

I'd think those are really situational features, though. It's not often you have to use slashing instead of bludgeoning.
It wouldn't be bad to have as a little extra.
Though I do agree with 35ft speed instead.