Are cops the modern equivalent of Paladins?

Are cops the modern equivalent of Paladins?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s9eWbrc_ynw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, paladins get punished if they do evil.

There is no "modern equivalent" to paladin you fucking turboautist, because paladins are a construct of D&D and not a real thing.

But demons have funny color skin too and paladins smite them all the time and don't fall.

No, they're probably just Warriors by our standards.

What about internal affairs

>be paladin
>smite demon
>obese demon mother runs at you screaming MAH BABY MAH BABY HE DINDU NUFFIN
>wenches and beardless boys all call you a murderer

Well if you go by the original Paladins from the Matter of France, they're just 'knights who are very good at being knights'

Also there's only 12 of them.

Cops do as well.

>cast detect negro
>smite

Checks out.

They even have those special mounts unique to them.

No, Urban Rangers with FE: Negro or Mexican

Really high level ones have FE: Negro, FE: Mexican, FE: Cracker

A Paladin of Justice. So yeah. The good ones, anyway.

First post bait post

They're the modern equivalent of guards, you dingus.

Every now and then, sure. Most get away with it.

In the ideal cases? Yeah. In most cases? Nah, just normal classes, although usually more good/lawful inclined (at least I'd hope so).

If cops are paladins, what is he?

I'd recommend watching less tv dramas, user.

only Mariska Hagarty, only ever Mariska Hagarty

Class: Paladin
Race: Warforged

>Race: Warforged
I laughed.

Are you mocking the nobility and holy cause of Sir Robert O'Cop?

Technically you could argue that the Minister of Defense is kinda like a historical Paladin.

My country has a Sihk for one. Bonus points.

Sir Robert O'Cop the man wo lived and died and lived again in the name and cause of justice.

No, the M109 is the modern equivalent of paladins.

Too bad we can't also have this one.

Are paladins experts in regicide?

Paladins? If friend computer says so.

PC classes as modern day children:

>Warrior: Strong kid, hit a growth spurt way too early or that kid that can fight way too well

>Wizard: Prodigy kid who is good at school and studies a lot, not as good as putting his theory into practice but given the situation can come up with amazing stuff and plans

>Rogue: That kid who fancies himself a street magician and can do crazy sleight of hand tricks or the kid who can sneak past his parents and is always grounded

>Ranger: Boy scout or the kid who grew up in a farm

>Druid: That one kid who watches every nature documentary on TV or the one that can mysteriously befriend any stray dog they come across. Can disperse copious amounts of gross out or weird animal facts at will once per day at level 1

>Barbarian: The kid who was way too eager to participate in wacky hijinks and always seemed a little too excited all the time. Normally covered in bruises and band aids because who gives a crap?

>Sorcerer: The Wizard kid's greatest foe, the one who managed to balance high grades with a healthy social life. Still comes second to the wizard most of the time

>Bard: The budding musician or the kid who always brings some music playing device. Since he knows a lot about music he almost always has something to talk about with other people

>Warlock: The rich kid or the one that somehow has lots of contacts and can call in favors. Sometimes has trouble paying back said favors

>Monk: That one kid who practiced martial arts since he was very little

>Paladin: That guy who loves team sports and takes the concept of fair play very seriously. Comes with armor by default

>Cleric: The churchboy who is calm most of the time but can fuck shit up if pushed or that kid who always knew how to treat scrapes and cuts

Isn't the Generals paladin just a pimped out Abrams with laser CIWS?

Didn't the laser come in the expansion? I seem to remember lasers being a big thing in that.

No, they're the modern equivalent to City Guards.

Can we... Can we make this a game?

IIRC, the paladins always had lasers. Zero Hour just brought us a laser general with a unique laser MBT that replaced the Paladin and Crusader.

No, cops are the town guard. They're just as likely to range from 'justice seeking paladin' to 'I get my jollies beating up the underclass' to 'corrupt as fuck, bribe me now or be clapped in irons.'

No they don't. the vast majority of police who fuck up get incredibly minor punishments. Shit that would get normal people up the river for years sends cops to desk duty for a while, and then maybe they resign and get rehired by another PD elsewhere. They have to fuck up SPECTACULARLY, or piss off a plurality of other cops in their department before they get punished.

I think there already is some kind of 'kidpunk' setting out there... I don't think that's what we're looking for though.

I get the impression that rather than just playing and fighting imaginary foes, these kids face real (if minor) threats and have some actual stakes behind their actions. They'd probably be a bit mature for their age, while still staying children in a bigger world.

Damn, now I really want this too! Kids from the neighborhood discovering a dark and magical secret and now having to fight to keep it from getting to a point where it would be seriously dangerous to the world, potentially corrupting everything they know. While it's cool having magic and goblins and (small) dragons around and letting magic into the real world doesn't SOUND bad at first, then they realise that if this DOES spill out, it probably won't be the good kind of magic that comes through.

No, the modern equivalent are the UN peacekeepers in the sense that they keep failing

Just fluff your regular campaign as SatAM kid adventures with those as the classes stand in and with appropiate power level
Your "rescue the princess from a fortress guared by a dragon" becomes "help the sorcerer's girlfriend escape because she is grounded for the weekend, there is a mean dog in her house"
Your political intrigues become quests to find dirt on the corrupt mayor who wants to turn the local public park into an apartament building
The quest for an object of incredible magic inside a dangerous dungeon translates into a mission to recover the paladin's baseball that is signed by his hero from the clutches of that cranky old man
Kingmaker? Help the bard get elected as class president
How about the classic "Let's become entrepreneurs and make loads of cash"? It becomes into a group of kids selling lemonade or mowing lawns while avoiding those wretched scout girl rangers who don't like the competition
Your Call of Cthulhu's an intrepid group of adventurers find something they shouldn't have? Your group of friends venture into the forest and find a corpse

No, Sikh are. I dunno if I'd call them modern, though, since they've got a few centuries behind them.

I'd recommend looking at the real world, user.

Cops investigating other cops who are also ultimately beholden to cops.
Wonder why it doesn't work?

Fun fact: In WW1 it was discovered that British Imperial Indian forces didn't need helmets. Their turbans actually stopped shrapnel better than the steel helmets issues to the British infantry! The only downside was that they took much longer to put on.

>Your group of friends venture into the forest and find a corpse
And that's the point the adventure starts to have higher stakes. That body wasn't made by anything human. As the friends turn, the goblin shaman cackles and waves a hand before turning and loping away, leaving his gang of underlings to dispose of the humans.

The friends pull close together, frightened and not knowing what to do... Then the paladin steps forward and raises his bat. The ranger sees him and picks up a stone. The warrior cracks his knuckles and the monk raises his guard. The bard's voice raises in defiance and as one, they feel courage and strength fill them.

>Post you responded to said that cops do get punished when they do evil
> You say "No they don't."
> Then you say "the vast majority of police who fuck up get incredibly minor punishments."
>But they still get punishments, meaning they DO get punished

I just thought that you contradicting yourself is funny. The rest is just BLM fear mongering bullshit. Back to tumblr with you.

No, the modern equivalent of the Paladin are the Knights Hosaplier which are currently sitting in some old church in Malta, wondering where everything went so wrong.

The Sikhs too.

>I just thought that you contradicting yourself is funny. The rest is just BLM fear mongering bullshit. Back to tumblr with you.

Two weeks paid leave and being skipping on your next raise isn't a real punishment for killing a guy in cold blood. Don't gotta go to tumblr to realize that something's fucked up there.

Is that the real world or the "real" world as depicted by Fox News?

Canadian Paladins

>it's a "Fox news has more bias than other news station" episode

Okay, i made my previous posts thinking in a more realistic setting for the kid adventurers
But you just sold me on the idea of adding magic to it

>The only magical creatures that make it through the veil are so weak that they must hide from the humans to not be crushed by them.
>They come either to weaken the veil or to protect it
>Luckily, this obfuscating power relies on the capacity of adults to ignore the strange
>A capacity most kids don't really have
>Only the crazies, the odd, the conspiracy theorists are the only adults that can see them
>Naturally they are ignored by most people

Also
>The bard is not playing Bad Moon Rising on his phone
Too bad

Pity about all the rape, though.

No offence to Creedence Clearwater Revival... But they just aren't quite metal enough for THIS bard.
youtube.com/watch?v=s9eWbrc_ynw

The really scary moment would be when some adults DO start to take notice... And just want to exploit it. Suddenly, the kids have an enemy that's WAY out of their league, as some shadowy organisation starts to widen a rift in the veil...
Then as it all goes out of control and something horrible destroys the organisation, the kids have to quickly find a way to seal the rift back up and at least put things back to their more manageable level of chaos and beasties.

Adults aren't INCAPABLE of noticing goblins, small dragons, dire wolves and magic. They just write it off as kids telling stories; mistaking a big dog for something else; a trick of the light etc. If openly confronted by a chimera, someone summoning a portal to the other world, or even a goblin in the open and going for them with a knife, they'll see it just the same as the kids... Although they may be more likely to freak out, given how a child just accepts magic as real, but an adult KNOWS it ISN'T. It's willful denial, not complete blindness or a glamour.

Modern equivalent of Paladins?

>Executing prisoners in cold blood
>Burning them alive
>Torture
>Terror attacks against innocent civilians
Yeah NO. Daesh is the evil, militaristic cult that wants to drown the world in blood and fire to create its new order. You might find blackguards among their ranks, but you'd never see a paladin within 50 miles of them unless he's charging them yelling, "SMIIIIIITE EEEEEVIIIIIILLL!"

Id say cops are king slayers

CCR aint "metal enough"? Who gives a half damn bout metal enough? CCR got soul and got rhythm, two things sickly lackin in whatever generic guitar tabs by numbers stuff you posted.

Kids these days always impressed by fast picks and lots of yelling.

The Paladins helped Charlemagne protect Europe from the scourge of Islam. If anything, we need more of their number today.

>Sabaton
>Fast picks and yelling
Ex-fucking-cuse me? Every single one of Sabaton's songs (with maybe a couple of exceptions... Hill 3234 was never my favourite) is lyrically clear and relates the story of a historical figure or event!

I'm not asking you to like it; just that you listen before you judge.

>the kids have an enemy that's WAY out of their league

Oh, but they aren't alone. You see, the kids have a friend. A friend no one else wants as a friend.
They normally hang out at the arcade of Ed the geek. Mainly for three reasons:

>They aren't old enough to see Ed for the failure he is. To them, the manchild is just a grown up who understands them
>He always has the latest consoles and fancy devices.
>He is very aware of what's going on when it comes to these magic invaders

He isn't brave enough to face them himself, but hey, at least he can send a pack of middleschoolers to do the job. And equip them. Heck, he might not even be called that and "Ed the Geek" is like the "Mr. Johnson" of Shadowrun.

The busy sound of the arcade might even be what is keeping the magic things away, making it a safe heaven.

That wasn't me

>protecting against the scourge of Islam
Did someone says Sikhs?

>tfw ranger/rogue
I can live with this

It is when you're doing it in self defence.
>inb4 it wasn't self defence
If a guy maybe has a gun pointed at you and may be about to kill you and potentially dozens of other people, are you going to wait and see what happens or try and stop him however you can?

>Fae and Daemons are repelled by iron
>arcade

something something something Pinball Wizard

Not him, but isn't by law "Pointing someone with a gun" pretty much the same as"Shooting someone with a gun" and you are justified in responding to both the same way?

Let me tell you about Monsters and Other Childish Things, anons.

Yep. "Looking like you're pointing at someone with a gun in front of a policeman" qualifies as well.

They don't have the luxury of taking risks.

How about "guy handcuffed on the ground then you and your buddies stomp on his head"?

Is that self defense?

How about "guy covering up his junk after you break into his home at 2 a.m. and it turned out you were in the wrong home but you only found that out after you shot him?"

Self defense then?

Druid represent

>How about "guy handcuffed on the ground then you and your buddies stomp on his head"?
I don't know the entire context here and I'd guess you don't either, but yeah, this sounds bad.
>How about "guy covering up his junk after you break into his home at 2 a.m. and it turned out you were in the wrong home but you only found that out after you shot him?"
That's self defence combined with a mistake, which everyone makes sometimes.

>paladins are not a real thing
the romans, charlemagne and the crusaders would like to have a word with you

Police should always defend themselves and others, by lethal force if necessary.

Sometimes when police kill people, it's either (A) not in defense of themselves or others, or (B) not necessary.

These statements are not contradictory.

Look up assets forfeiture.

actually the seat of the knights of Malta is currently in Rome

Well this but as far as the idea ISIS is probably the closest equivalent being religious soldiers specifically for their religion.

No they're the modern equivalent of city guards.

>crusaders
>paladins

I think if i accidently killed somebody at work I'd at least lose my job. If i accidently killed somebody with my car I'd probably get my licence suspended.

Who are Sikhs? I keep hearing them mentioned but I don't want to scroll through a lengthy Wikipedia article.

That's because you probably work at some mundane, relatively safe job where your life isn't in danger.

>That's self defence combined with a mistake, which everyone makes sometimes.

Killing a man "by mistake" is manslaughter, at minimum. Shooting a man "by mistake" could reasonably be murder two.

If we don't hold our police officers to the highest standards of the law, how can we even pretend that the law has any real meaning?

>holy warrior of a lawful good god
>not a paladin

>buh-buh-buh muh life in danger
If it was easy we wouldn't need to pay them.

>a lawful good god
I won't even touch that, but even assuming so, you still have to be lawful good yourself.

Cops are in less danger than taxi cab drivers. Fuck off.

>implying that this isn't the avatar of lawful goodness

Those poor horses.

There is a difference between 'hard work' and 'offering your body up to be bullet riddled'. Construction is hard work. Police work can be life threatening on a whole different level.

If you can't do your job and obey the law, you can't do your job and someone else should be.

I don't see how hard that is to comprehend.

And I would hope that anybody with the authority to kill people would be held to a much higher standard than I am, considering the most I'm ever responsible for is somebody's lunch.

As in much less threatening?

Cops don't die that much compared to Alaskan Fishermen.

Even discounting that there were multiple crusades, with various Richard the Lionheart was complicit in masacre of 2,700 prisoners of war, following the siege of Acre. That'd make any paladin fall.

Bane isn't a lawful good god.

but user, executing orcs doesn't make paladins fall

you're a big god

Sikhism is a monotheistic religion that reads like a description of paladins from fantasy games. The religion was started in the 15th century or so in South Asia, and it grew in response to the spread of Islam. Some of their beliefs include:
>Equality: All are equal before god and no discrimination is allowed on the basis of caste, race, gender, creed, origin, color, education, status, or wealth
>Simple living and honest work
>Accountability for actions
>Family life
>Charity
>Accept God's will; life has both good and bad things in it

Shit that's prohibited includes:
>No superstition, pilgrimages, fasting, gambling, worship of graves and idols, and the wearing of veils for women
>No accumulation of wealth for its own sake (you can't take it with you to the afterlife, idiot)
>No living sacrifices (wives can't burn themselves on their husband's funeral pyre, no sacrificial animals)
>No asceticism: discouraged from being a mendicant, beggar, or celibate
>No worthless talk (gossip or lying)
>No drugs, no alcohol, no intoxicants, no tobacco
>No priestly class
>No eating meat that has been killed in a ritualistic manner (including halal or kosher)
>No premarital sex or extramarital relations

They seem pretty cool to me.

Missed the most Veeky Forums realted one.
>Always carry a weapon to defend the weak and the helpless.

Orcs are fictional, along with simplistic black-white morality schemes.

In none does executing 2,700 humans who have surrendered qualify as lawful good or even neutral. Even if Saladin was being a bit of a tit.

>doesn't know how the real world works

"Internal Affairs" has their own chain of command which is ultimately responsible to a police services board, which is staffed mostly by civilians, not cops. Besides that, the police chief is also responsible to the mayor/council and can be (many have been recently) fired by them.

you forgot never cutting your hair and washing once every 500 years

saladin was not a bit of a tit, he was much worse than people picture him to be these days