What system would best work for Raildex?

What system would best work for Raildex?

Other urls found in this thread:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116
1d4chan.org/wiki/A_Certain_Role-playing_Game
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your Supers System of Choice
GURPS
FATE
Savage Worlds

Strike!

Whichever one lets me play as an uncrippled vector.

Fate
Risus-with-Aspects

Depends if you want mostly...
Simulation:
- GURPS
- HERO
- M&M3

Narrative focus
- FATE
- Worlds in Peril (refluffled)

Fast/fun gameplay/combat:
Savage Worlds
Strike!

>Strike!
So I keep seeing dudes on here recommending this. Two questions.
1: Can I get a quick rundown on it?
2: What's with the exclamation point?

Strike! is the name of the game, like RIFTS is supposed to be all capitals even though it isn't an acronym.

Considering one of my players IS a living railgun, I'd say Anima.

Strike! is half narrative stuff half turn based squad sized tactical combat.

It uses 1d6 for basically all of its rolls (with advantage/disadvantage).

I'll give you a more detailed rundown when I get home.

>I'll give you a more detailed rundown when I get home.
I swear. every time someone asks about Strike! someone responds with a line like this and then I never actually see the fucking detailed rundown no matter how long the thread lasts for.

i have a copy of the pdf on my pc im on my phone but someone made a system for raildex its really rules light theres a chart for powers and abilities like athletics are done freeform with a point buy if that's what you want try to look for it

Well that's just dumb.
Sounds interesting though. You better deliver.

Mage: The Ascension from World of Darkness

Well, quick rundown then, I got a 10 minute break:

Character creation is modular. At the bare minimum you can just use the core which looks like this:

- Pick a job. You get a number of skills and some money and a trick.
- Pick an Origin. You get 2 more skills and a complication from that.
-Make up your own skill and complication

Alternatively, fill a questionnaire to determine your skills/money.

Done!

Skills can be anything from "cooking" to IDK, "particle manipulation". You are supposed to keep them relatively in the same scope within the party tho.

When you use a skill, you roll a d6 and consult a table. The results can be combinations of Success, Twist, Bonus and Cost. If you got the skill you roll on a better results table than if you are untrained. If you have advantage or disadvantage on the skill (such as having good tools/having no tools) you roll 2d6 and pick better/worse.

That's the core system, but the reason Strike! is recommended is the Tactical Combat system.

That tactical combat side of your character is separate from your skills, but since it's fluff neutral, you should use your skills for the fluff.

You make it by picking a class (there's 5 roles and 10 classes in the core book and about 12 more classes, I think, in a coming expansion, each class also tends to have 3 or so "paths" to build).

The Class gives you your basic powers and your role modifies them. For example, a Magician class has a magic missile power that never misses. With the Blaster role it becomes AoE. With the Striker role it deals more damage. With the Controller role, it weakens/repositions the enemy, etc.

Combat itself is turn based, inspired by 4e. Attack rolls are again, a single d6 with adv/disadv. Positioning/spacing is key (opportunities hit automatically), as is teamwork.

Numbers are kept low, an average attack deals 2 damage, a player has 10 HP, HP doesn't grow as you level, but enemy damage does.

Break's up, more from home.

I'm home.

First off, download:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116

Second, still interested? We could build a character.

Let's do it. And let's make a Raildex character since that's what the thread is about.

Alright!

I'm uh, not actually familiar with the source material. Gimme a name to google.

Kazari Uiharu

reading...

Okay, doesn't look hard, especially since her powers aren't that off the wall. I'll be back in a moment.

Top tier taste, user.

Acceptable tier.
Personally I'm more of a Kanzaki guy.
In the immortal words of Wolverine's voice, "I love the kind of woman who can kick my ass."

Alright, first off, she needs a background. She seems to be the smart one/tech expert, so lets base it on the Programmer.

Let's replace the 'Techie Friends' connection with Judgement.

Second, we need an Origin. There isn't an Esper origin, which is fine for us, so we can just make one.

Basing it in Human, the Thermal Hand is perfect in place of a Cantrip. We can choose one more skill, I'll just go with $ since I guess she's probably funded. Also a complication: "Always Got The Cold".

Finally, she has an additional skill to pick (I'll go with Hacking) An additional Trick (Hacking master: can hack into any system she's familiar with), and an additional complication (Weak body, sounds appropriate)

So, she looks like this:

Skills:
- Coding
- Hardware,
- Online Communications
- Encryption and Security
- Hacking
- Thermal Hand
Connections:
- Judgement
Tricks:
- I know This Code
- Hacking Master
Complications:
- Always Got The Cold
- Weak Body
Wealth: Rich (2)

That's the non-combat side.of the character.

For the combat side of the character: Do you want Mecha or non-mecha? Can she remote control her mecha or fight alongside it?

These days, Kanzaki only reminds me of that "HELP ME, KANZAKI" poster on /a/, and of course washing machines. Has she done something relevant again after the anime ended?

Wait, Uiharu has a mecha?
Not that user, but if that stuff is from the Silent Party arc of Railgun S, you can ignore it, Silent Party isn't canon.

I'll do a non-mecha version.

Since Kanzaki seems absolutely terrible in a straight fight, she's going to be a Warlord class with the Leader role (since warlords are tacticians first and foremost, not fighters).

Her healing ability is probably best fluffed by just her encouraging/directing an ally to keep it together and not give up.

Leader doesn't give us any choices to make at level 1, so I'll hop onto the Warlord.

I'll go ahead and say I'm terribly sorry if I misunderstand her character.

Warlord gives 3 paths to take:
- Rousing keeps allies alive by protecting them
- Enabling is about moving himself and allies into position
- Incisive is about figuring shit out and then using that knowledge to aid allies in taking stuff out.

Out of these 3, Incisive seems to fit her the most.

We need to pick 2 at-will abilities from a list of 5.

I picked two that don't deal any damage, just to keep in theme.

'Hit this guy!' is just asking for the support of an ally, 'Morale boosting punching bag' is working in tandem to take someone down while keeping the team's spirit high (the S in the damage line means it generates a support token).

Finally an encounter power; since we have a number of encouragement theme stuff going on anyway, I decided to go with 'Don't give up!'.

We also need a feat, but because I'm lazy and don't know what'd fit, I'll just go with Lucky.

A character has 3 actions a round: A Role action, an Attack action, and a Move action.

Her Role actions are:

- Is anyone in a bad spot? Tell her to move away from there right now, if you have Tactics left.
- Is anyone Injured and in need of a heal? Heal him, if you have a heal left.
- Assess the situation and gain a support token, that you can later use to double someone's damage.

Her Move options:

Move her speed, Shift away from melee, or Assess (as above)

Her Attack options:

Hit This Guy, Morale-Boosting Punching Bag, basic attacks, use a Skill. I can see Thermal Hand possibly coming in handy against, say, fire/heat manipulating enemies (is that how it works?), albeit rarely, but there's also the chance for combat hacking or something like that being occasionally relevant.

She can also use Don't Give Up! and Try again! out of her turn, along with spending a support token.

Well, there's this:
1d4chan.org/wiki/A_Certain_Role-playing_Game

not really complete enough to use, plus all the links to the full book dont work from what i remeber.

I don't remember much from this series besides em girl being a bitch to the girl that was literally in love with her.

It was really all over the place between magic and esp.

Anima.
You literally get a railgun psychic power, and if I recall Raildex was one of their inspirations for one of the game updates.

You could probably do it with Ki Techs, and I'm pretty sure one of the Lv 3 Psychokinesis powers lets you redirect attacks, but I could be mistaken.

FATAL

Now, are we talking always. Or am i gonna have a recharge and some bullshit gimp as a character.

Now build Accelerator.

Oh boy. I was hoping I wouldn't wake up to those words.

Gotta go to work, but I'll spend some of my breaks doing that.

But Accelerator is shit.
There are so many better characters. If we're talking about lvl 5, Kakine/Beetle is much better. Soggita may be even greater but his powers are a clusterfuck.

Friend did mutants and masterminds and it turned out Siiiiiiiick

Has anyone ever tried using the ORE, like Wild Talents?
It seems like it would be fantastic fit for the fundamental way the supernatural powers work Raildex.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!

Whats wrong with Strike!?

We've had a lot of luck running it in Mutants & Masterminds, 3e.

Okay, so I was reading up on the guy, and the only problem he's giving me (before he turned into some kind of angel thing and learned fucking magic) is his ability to no-sell attacks. Otherwise, while he's an offensive powerhouse, he looks sorta manageable.

He could be easily statted out as an "unfair" enemy, but as a player character, even at level 10, without homebrewing/houseruling any feats (which the game sorta expects but it'd defeat the point of this "challenge") the best I can do with core book only is making him generally hard to hit and negate a few attacks. I'll look over the playtest PDF to see if any of the new classes has some sort of "perfect defense" type deal going on.

I haven't given up bump

Always. Psychic powers work on a Check/Exhaust system. You only have to burn resources if you fail your Psychic Potential check.

For the Railgun power specifically, you run some risk, but with enough stocked up PP and enough investment into Potential, you'd never really have to worry about running out.

Mutants and Masterminds 3e is basically the best choice here

I think Abberant would work, but you would have to homebrew some rules about how to build and level up espers and magi since their abilities develop so differently.

I still think the Willpower system in Wild Talents actually does a good job of capturing the exhaustion and psychological undertones of the setting.

Likewise, while I've done Mutants&Masterminds for Raildex, the toughness and wounds system is a bit too hand-wavy for my group. Also depends on the type of Raildex game you want to run. M&M starts to fall apart at the normal human level, which pretty much rules out supporting cast characters like Uiharu and Saten, unless you're running an entire Level 4/Level 5 party.

Wild Talents is probably better if you're trying to play a lower-powered Raildex party, or exploring the darker sides of the city a la the manga/light novels. If you're following more of the anime's feel, M&M is probably ok, but unless someone knows a good toughness workaround, it might be a little awkward.

Build Aleister Crowley.

I believe in you user. Show us accelerator!

PL X3. Crowley some buuullshiiiit.