Let's talk about gameplay and story segregation. Not just Yugioh...

Let's talk about gameplay and story segregation. Not just Yugioh, but I'm using it as an example because its the game I'm most familiar with. Look at pic related. It's a fucking dragon monster that's bigger than a city. It loses to elfs, a super spy, and a fucking frog.

Here's the fuckign frog

Your repeating digits (and a general interest in the concept) inspires me to contribute

Okay, so it's a giant thing (actually that's a hell of a lot of stars for something with 1800 atk iirc...), but maybe it's so big and cumbersome it's ability to attack is low - I see it's in water, maybe it's fuckheavy?
Sure, it's hard to kill at 3k def, but if it's attacking then it's vulnerable to frog's poison or a well placed shot by a spy or an elf

What's the effect? I don't read moonrunes and I haven't Yu-gi-oh'd for a decade.

One game I do think handles most gameplay/story segregation pretty well is Android: Netrunner - other than a few odd things, most interactions and costs make sense in the game.

One of my favourite in that regard is a card where one player (the hacker) steals a load of money from the other (who represents part of a mega corp) - for every piece of money the hacker gets from the corp, they get two pieces - to represent the fact that the corp's money represents large liquidities, investments and resources - to a megacorporation a million dollars might be as valuable as a hundred dollars is to the hacker, and so on.

On the other hand a burner phone costs as much as a hover-motorbike, but I suppose it could be a crate of burner phones

Watch that evil aura in the frog, the dragon dont have a chance.

Helps that netrunner's asymmetric though

For reference, 2 credits on the Corporate side will pay for a new model of phones or other type of consumer electronics

Should have posted the effect
If this card is in your hand: You can destroy 2 other monsters in your hand and/or face-up on your field, including a WATER monster, and if you do, Special Summon this card, and if you do that, you can banish up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards from your opponent's field or Graveyard, if both the destroyed monsters were WATER. If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 non-WATER Wyrm-Type monster from your Deck in Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Bahrstos Fuhrer, the True Dracoruler" once per turn.

It's name is Bahrstos Fuhrer, the True Dracoruler. I wonder how it will be handled in the TCG.

Cool, thanks.

So, let's see - Bathroom Fuhrer is most likely to be summoned by just killing a couple of low-level water creatures, and if that happens he'll wreck some spells and shit. If he's killed by anything other than being fought directly (and he's hugely tough, so actual fighting will be pretty hard pushed to kill him) he can summon a wyrm buddy, also defensive

He arrives in a burst of power, then sits around defending your ass - sure, he probably shouldn't look so angry and aggressive given he's defensive nature, but "more bark than bite" is a pretty good defence.

That frog is pretty deadly though

It's not even the strongest frog (or toad)

Treatoad

2 Level 2 Aqua-Type monsters
Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck, except "Frog the Jam". Once per turn, during either player's turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect: You can send 1 Aqua-Type monster from your hand or face-up from your field to the Graveyard; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then you can Set the destroyed card on your field. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 WATER monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Jesus fucking christ

So glad I left the shit show that was YGO back when Seven Samurai became a thing.

weak ass sea dragon doesn't stand a chance against lesbian elf twins

Off by 1 number

Clearly a godfrog of some kind, but yeah that's a bit BS.

On the other hand aqua was always small shit that was surprisingly deadly iirc (remember Tribe Infecting Virus? that's goddamn tiny, but you could slaughter even the greatest of dragons with it)

And XYZ is always nuts (poor union letters, their name got stolen)

Speaking of Unions

ABC-Dragon Buster

"A-Assault Core" + "B-Buster Drake" + "C-Crush Wyvern"
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control or in your Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 card on the field; banish it. During your opponent's turn: You can Tribute this card, then target 3 of your banished LIGHT Machine-Type Union monsters with different names; Special Summon them (this is a Quick Effect).

And

A-to-Z Dragon Buster Cannon

"ABC-Dragon Buster" + "XYZ-Dragon Cannon"
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing cards you control whose original names are the above cards, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (You do not use "Polymerization".) During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect: You can discard 1 card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. During either player's turn: You can banish this card, then target 1 "ABC-Dragon Buster" and "XYZ-Dragon Cannon" among your banished cards; Special Summon them.

They are incredibly awkward to get out though, iirc?

No-one is going to argue Yugioh's balanced, but they seem alright for tanks and cannons fused from robot dragons and shit

>Can't summon Frog the Jam
butwhy.jpg

ABC is meta in the OCG and will probably be meta in the TCG when it comes out. Dragon Buster is ridiculously easy to summon. Your turn 1 with the deck usualy ends with Dragon Buster, 1 or 2 Xyzs, some backrow and 1 card in hand.

A-to-Z Dragon Buster Cannon isn't used.

Also helps that their field is really good.

Union Hanger

When this card is activated: You can add 1 LIGHT Machine-Type Union monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, if a LIGHT Machine-Type Union monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned to your field (except during the Damage Step): You can target 1 of those monsters; equip from your Deck to that monster 1 appropriate LIGHT Machine-Type Union monster with a different name from that monster, but that Union monster cannot be Special Summoned this turn. You can only activate 1 "Union Hangar" per turn.

Forgot picture

>in the TCG when it comes out
What the shit, I had some of the XY stuff back when I barely played, a decade a go - how has that shit still not been released?

Also none of this has to do with OP's question

The ABC card are new. They're in the new Kaiba Structure deck

It effect looks like a goddamn essay. I think it is a safe bet to say it can deal with Vanilla Monsters with 1900 attack and more.

>If this card is in your hand: You can destroy 2 other monsters in your hand and/or face-up on your field, including a WATER monster, and if you do, Special Summon this card, and if you do that, you can banish up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards from your opponent's field or Graveyard, if both the destroyed monsters were WATER. If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon 1 non-WATER Wyrm-Type monster from your Deck in Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Bahrstos Fuhrer, the True Dracoruler" once per turn.

See

It is something that pisses me off with Yu-Gi-Oh. It's randomness.

In MtG, pretty much every card and every attack makes sense. The game itself makes sense. Just 16 values of attack and health, instead of 60 or more (counting all hundreds and fifties), health is health and attack is attack, not like in YGO where attack is your health 90% of the time, foot soldiers will be weak while big monsters will be strong, unlike in YGO where attack stats are pretty much fucking random, like you can see in OP and effects actually make sense concerning the card's flavor. In YGO you have some penguin that returns 2 cards to hand for some reason. What the is a Penguin Soldier, anyway? Also, the types and attributes that are so forced so often, like shit like Light and Darkness Dragon obviously should be 2 attributes, but can be just 1. Or plenty of monsters that don't fit any attribute.

And with all that being said, I really like Yu-Gi-Oh. I like how colorful it is. And I love how cards work with one another.

Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh is probably the most "let these two things fight" game I can think of - even more so than the meme-fest that is Smash Up

gameplay > "story"

>whynotboth.gif

If you can make both work then even better, but gameplay comes first

The second-most powerful creature in Magic canon. This thing can destroy entire worlds. It can be killed by fifteen squirrels

IIRC Frog The Jam was called something else in Japan. Because Yugioh uses a system where cards that share words in their name are part of the same tribe, every single Frog tribal card has to de-reference Frog The Jam.

How does it lose to any of those? Were you too stupid to special summon it in defence mode?

I compare mtg and yugioh like classical and jazz freestyle.

Yugioh is if you took all the johhny and timmy parts of mtg and ramped it up to infinity a shame they dont do more stuff like The Battle Packs; yugioh is a really fuckinggreat game when it lets itself.

The ineractions and comboing and creativity is amazing, its just most of that cool stuff isnt viable compared to linear archetypes

Is thatncard real? Looks annoying as fuck to read. Do people fight about iits effects?

Good idea tho, would play a game designed like this...

Now I'm imagining a card game where decks are printed and sold in those little giddeon bibles.

That is just a really cool version of this card that someone made.
And I wish it were an official promo, and that there were others like of

Reminds me of the way yugioh cards were supposed to be giant stone tablets

>every single Frog tribal card has to de-reference Frog The Jam.
God forbid an old card become useful because of a new archetype right Konami?

You're giving Konami too much credit. Konami just assumed Frog the Jam would never ever be relevant. They were wrong. That's why the newest printings of Summoned Skull have (This card is always treated as an "Archfiend" card.).

I don't see the problem user, the pic you posted iis from a different dimension than the elf and frog

This is actually something to consider.

Most recently, the YGO story's been consolidating into a single setting (Terminal World) but there are a lot of cards before that effort was made and it's questionable if they have any amount of connection with the new storyline at all.

Man, I need to look back into the lore again. I lost track of it once the Infernoids showed up.

Frog the Jam wouldn't be used regardless either way
The only other instance of this is Red Eyes and Red Eyes B. Chick and that's only to make it act like it does in the OCG, even though they're part of the same archetype already.

Duel Terminal was the thing with an actual story through the cards. The only recent one that told a story in the archetype I can recall is Kozmos, which is Wizard of Oz x Star Wars themed

>Frog the Jam wouldn't be used regardless either way

Takana Cup, Local Tournament, 07/24/2016, 40 Players
—————————————————————-
1st Place: Speedroid Frog

3 Frog the Jam

Well, the storyline of Duel Terminal was continued in recent sets.

For example, the Qliphoth, Yang Zing, Shadoll, etc appeared after the climactic fight involving Kerykeion and Sophia, things like Steelswarm Roach being converted to light and turning into Exciton Knight after watching Kerykeion and Sombre's ascension to godhood.

The -Tellars are evolved Constellar monsters, for example. As I said, I don't know much about the most recent sets or if they suddenly cut off the storyline but I don't see a reason why they would.

They should have just translated the original name better, it sounded better too. Something like black dragon hatchling.

Don't forgot using pre-sixth edition rulings.

But throw in missing the timing for fun.

I always liked how in early Yu-gi-oh, even the most shittiest normal monster had a flavor text making it looks like some super powerful monster.

but Emrakul can't be blocked by fifteen squirrel tokens, Emrakul has flying and squirrel tokens don't.
And if the other person has fifteen squirrel tokens WITH FLYING, then why haven't they won the game already?

But even the various anime series apparently take place iin different dimensions where different cards are more/less powerful. Iirc pendulum's, xyzs, and fusions arenall supposed to originate in different universes and have different powernlevels.

I mean if we're taking the anime into consideration(which we should since the cardngame is based on the anime and niot the other way around) you can't forget that not every card is based on a realnancient spirit, most were made up out of Pegasus's ass for fun and profit most notably his toons. So obviously internal power levels wouldn't be consistent.

Even if they were flying, Wouldn't her annihilator kill half of them and she only take like 8 damage?

The defending player choose what to sacrifice, and Annihilator forces permanents to be sacrificed, not just creatures. If someone has a 15 squirrel airforce, I'm pretty sure they're going to be sacrificing lands.

Speaking of, anyone who likes YGO should go watch Arc-V already. Shit's pretty good.

All this lore talk makes me want to do a Duel Terminal RPG. I wonder if there's any system that would mesh particularly well with that idea.

I was watching up until the very beginning of the Synchro arc.

What episode are they on, now? It hasn't completely gone off the rails, has it?

What's your favorite interaction/combo in yugioh?

Best combo is setting man eater bug and spellbinding circle turn 1, then killing thr opponents monster and sacrificing for Summoned Skull turn 2.

nah, it's going second, dropping Lord of D. and two Flutes of Summoning Dragon and the handful of bigass dragons you've got.

Highly situational, pkuss it dumps your whole hand. Change of heart into Gyakutenno Megami or Sword stalker is more useful in most cases.

Classic Gyzarus spam now that Bestiari is at 3.

Setup: A Hero Lives + (any Gladiator Beast or Test Tiger) in hand

1) Pay half your lifepoints to activate A Hero Lives, summoning Elemental HERO Prisma from the deck.
2) Activate the effect of Prisma, declaring Bestiari by revealing Gyzarus from the extra deck, and sending Bestiari from the deck to the graveyard.
3) Normal Summon/set any Gladiator Beast, and Fusion Summon Gyzarus, destroying 2 cards your opponent controls.
4) Attack with Gyzarus, and make sure it survives. At the end of the battle phase, activate Gyzarus' effect to return to the extra deck in exchange for 2 Gladiator Beasts from the deck. Choose Darius & Laquari.
5) Activate the effect of Darius to Special Summon Bestiari from the graveyard.
6a) Fusion Summon a second Gyzarus to destroy 2 more cards.
6b) Fusion Summon Heraklinos to lock your opponent's spells & traps (Ideally you shouldn't do this unless you have a possible War Chariot loop)

Have you seen the cards we will probably get?

Gladiator Beast Andabatae
"Gladiator Beast Augustus"2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by shuffling the above cards you control into the Deck. (You do not use "Polymerization".) If this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Gladiator Beast" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, except "Gladiator Beast Andabatae", ignoring its Summoning conditions, but if it battles, shuffle it into the Extra Deck at the end of the Damage Step. If a "Gladiator Beast" monster you control is shuffled into the Deck or Extra Deck: You can make this card gain ATK equal to that monster's. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: You can shuffle it into the Extra Deck; Special Summon 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck.

That's just the anime effect. It could be stronger if it ever gets released.

Nice, but then I have to run Augustus, king of dead draws. Not saying it's not worth it, but it's a possible issue that there's no way to get the fucker out of your hand if you draw into it.

>there's no way to get the fucker out of your hand if you draw into it.
Special another Augustus overlay for 8 Except all of the times you open with every copy you run in hand.

When I was running HATE, I used 2 Moralltach and 3 Sanctum and I still opened with both Moralls way too often. Consider it paranoia.

Oh trust me, I know that pain. I also know the pain of running 6 effective copies of a single key card due to searchers and 5 draw spells and even some deck thinning and going through 10+ turn shitty durdle games and never seeing that key card.

How do you know it's that big? Maybe it's the size of a shih tzu, you never know.

>Death Frog
I wouldn't fuck with a fucking Death Frog, would you?

The things in the bottom corners are buildings.

Also, Agnimazud is pretty fucking big too.

Don't mess with frogs in general

A reminder that Des Frog equipped with an ax can take this thing 1v1.