/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

You let the goddamn thread fall off the catalog!? Oh well, at least here's some Necromunda substitutes edition:
yaktribe.org/community/threads/alternative-necromunda-miniature-sources-image-heavy.15/

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Question of the Now:
You have any /awg/ WIP to share, user?

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

resinaplanet.com/euphoria
yaktribe.org/community/threads/alternative-necromunda-miniature-sources-image-heavy.15/
wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79749
librarium-online.com/forums/other-40k-universe-games/197611-necromunda-links-all-those-hard-find-pdfs.html
pig-iron-productions.com/kolony-ferals-c-3.html?zenid=40dd66d05ebf39215298de16aab5e398
shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/slicks-89-c.asp
thedogsbrush.[spot
em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html
thedogsbrush.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/28mm-sci-fi-aar-clash-on-fringe.html
mega.nz/#!PVMgmQxK!Re6pYbapzxfkwN_aC1WXmFKIcx2RP4iAaWncXiW5RMU
christianfoggjohnson.com/docs/Savage Worlds/
darkerdaysradio
kickstarter.com/projects/icarusminiatures/nexus-and-alliance-starter-sets-from-icarus-miniat
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/27764819/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>You have any /awg/ WIP to share, user?
At this very moment, I have nothing to share sadly.

Where's the mini from by the way?

resinaplanet.com/euphoria

Great, thanks. And these minis? My initial guess would be Pig Iron or the guys who do Nuclear Renaissance, but not sure....

>yaktribe.org/community/threads/alternative-necromunda-miniature-sources-image-heavy.15/

Not until Baccus send my order of 6mm infantry for Horizon Wars. Once it arrives, I will have my two huge alt history armies as good as done, and I can begin my next project - a super robot anime homage using Hordes models as kaiju.

I have all the fluff written, a few sample units painted and just need to buy a few more monsters of the week.

I have a link for a shit ton of Necromunda PDFs

wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79749

Probably pretty much the same material as in this, but I'll maek poast for crossreferencing:
librarium-online.com/forums/other-40k-universe-games/197611-necromunda-links-all-those-hard-find-pdfs.html
This has is a little more descriptive of every pdf, too...

I've heard something about a fan-revised version of the main rulebook, that was way better than the vanilla one? Iirc there were no big changes, just small balance nudges and "why didn't we think of that?" adaptions. I can't remember the name though...

pages of random minis
Thanks, I guess.

Got a supply drop from Ramshackle.

Took a while to get delivered so I think Curtis put in extra stuff for me as an apology.

> Ordered 1 Command team, got 2
> Ordered 1 Heavy Weapons team, got 3

Also the keytar guy was just a rad sculpt so I picked him up.

Now if only I hadn't left most of my hobby stuff at home when I moved back to uni.

Those are Pig Iron's Kolony Ferals

pig-iron-productions.com/kolony-ferals-c-3.html?zenid=40dd66d05ebf39215298de16aab5e398

That's a cool adept-mechanicus guy

Yeah, they do a bunch of cyborgy not-admech dudes.

Not enough for an army, but you could make a nice Necromunda warband or something with them.

Just filling out an admech squad, diluting the unit monotony, is gudenuff4me.
Those other guys look a little IG tho but whatevs.

From what I've heard they are generally a good company, and their stuffs aren't that expensive either. Thanks for sharing your experience, I should order at least a little something from them...

I've gotten a fair bit of stuff from them and can basically back up that statement. Curtis is a pretty cool guy who often throws in free stuff just for the hell of it.

If I do have criticisms it's that they can be slow getting orders out (understandable considering I think it's literally one guy doing it all) and their casts tend to have a problem with bubbles.

Repainting a bunch of Mageknight prepaints for a friend, and there are quite a few useful sculpts in there - if you haven't checked them already, I can recommend them.

Looking good! And cool model, but... but...
>square bases

This. Round bases are love, round bases are life. Takes 10 years off a model, removing Goblin Green and painted flock bases.

What's wrong with square bases? It's just a temporary base tho, the guy will put him on a 30 or 40mm round, he didn't have any other bases to mount it on. But seriously, what.

Nothing wrong with them, just a matter of taste.

I was started to think of remounting my LotR minis to squares because SBG wouldn't need much minis (so I'll leave a couple of them on rounds), in WotR it doesn't matter, and ranking them up will be much easier, plus I can play mass battles with them too. For the Infantry, the 25mm round can be utilized easily for other systems, but the 40mm round for cavalry makes them pretty much useless if I want to play Rohan in AoA or KoW. So eh, I'm getting in favor of squares more and more.

Cavalry is a tough one, 40mm is rather a lot for ranking them up, but there's load of companies making movement trays for round bases.

Wouldn't be too hard to make your own with a 25mm hole saw drill bit either.

pic related

Eh, I'm fine with using the same basing system for all my fantasy stuffs.

hole saws are great for making forests bases with inset removable trees, don't think the cut is fine enough for minis though, plenty of cheap laser cut options out there though

Hey, like those. ERM right?

DWfag here. Painting some more of my Polan for Dystopian Wars. Basing and his squadmates todo.

Adorable.

I was going to play Dystopian Wars as the League of Italian States but no one at my FLGS wanted to play

Story o' my fucking life, m8.

qt!

Grab two armies, paint them up, and if still noone's interested, play solo. It sucks, but it's better than not doing what you love and being forced to play Warhammer or the local equivalent.

shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/slicks-89-c.asp

Just wait until I get the small tanks painted.

try . I managed to have semi-regular games until I moved away from my old gaming club. Even if they were all against Russian fleets.

Violently coloured tables bump,

8/10, would take LSD and play wonky retro scifi games on it.

That some space pulp board.
It's so outrageous you don't even notice the ruins are unpainted.

And the bases don't even match the board, how unorthodox.

I'm curious about those dudes though, what game are they meant to represent? And hexagon bases, quite the odd peculiarity?

Rogue Trader and Battletech.

Just general scifi models. The pic is from a Clash on the Fringe AAR

thedogsbrush.[spot of blogs].co.uk/2015/07/28mm-sci-fi-aar-clash-on-fringe.html

I remember old plastics, that are under em4 ownership now, using hexagon bases back in the day.

Yeah, and they are insanely popular with Horizon Wars players. Once the game came out, it's practically constantly out of stock.

coo'

What, the mech plastics from em4 are Battletech?

Nope, Space Rangers: I'm pretty sure the leader model didn't existed back then? Also the models were cast directly onto the bases.
em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

Well, you have an excuse to visit home other than "I need to do my laundry."

Has anyone tried the Otherworld Miniatures Skirmish game? I love their models, but there's so little info on the game itself I have no idea if its worth buying or not.

Trying to get my friend into wargaming, he's interested in anything fantasy. I'm more of a /hwg/ guy though so not really sure what's out there let alone what's enjoyable. Any recommendations from people more in the know?

So I ended up getting the following for $50. I don't really know anything about Wrath of Kings though and just bought them cause I like the minis and I'm a sucker for a deal.

Is the game any good? Is this a decent enough start for an army? What would be a good starter to pair this with if I was to run a demo game?

I mean worst case I have several Frostgrave warbands and some conversion bits for my Legion of Everblight dudes.

Try Mordhiem I think you'll both like it

Where can one get Mordheim stuff these days?

From what I remember, that is an army, not just the start of one. WoK uses an army list system where you have a set amount of guys and slots that you can fill with whatever you want, as long as they match the slot and ranks needed. For example, If you had 18 troops, you could choose any troops to fill them, with Ranks determining how many slots you take. So Rank 1 takes one slot, Rank 2 takes two, etc.

I can't pull up the rulebook, because for some reason, none of CMoN's game sites have been working for me for over a month now. But I think the largest game size was like a troop box or two away from what you get in the starter set.

Third party, mostly.

Zog me, it's beautiful. More of this, please.

I actually like the unpainted/barely-painted ruins. Makes them stand out without detracting from the land and those glorious trees.

>thedogsbrush.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/28mm-sci-fi-aar-clash-on-fringe.html
fixed your link in a way that Veeky Forums won't complain about. It can't see new zealand.

If you can get your piratical hands on any of the other 7tv-based games, it's the same basic system. 7th Voyage might be closest, it's mythic fantasy.

All the starter play reasonably well with each other iIRC. I think tekkies is the most annoying as the pigment are 2 wounds and need to be kept track of.
Last I checked what you have is more than the standard army size, so unless you want some skew lists, you only need newer boxes/maybe the character packs. I would buy the hadross equivalent at that price in an instant.

check the trove I got the pdf from here.

Mordheim (as already mentioned)
SAGA (if your friend likes only Fantasy stuff, he could go for fantasy-viking-chaos-barbarians for example)
Frostgrave (mordheim-lite, your friend can go nuts with a fantasy warband while you could build a semi-historical group of men at arms with perry minis like pic related for example)

A couple of threads ago I ordered a couple of 15mm.co.uk minis.

Last night, I started to work on my Judges

I don't see it in there... weird.

That looks like a damn fine bargain!

Yeah, neither.

Got ya covered, senpai

mega.nz/#!PVMgmQxK!Re6pYbapzxfkwN_aC1WXmFKIcx2RP4iAaWncXiW5RMU

bump

True gent, this man!

After looking into it a bit I'm digging the system. I like how damage and wounds work, and the motivation system is a pretty elegant way of handling scenarios.

Might get the Hadross or werewolf dudes so I can contact someone into playing it with me.

Have some Savage Worlds

christianfoggjohnson.com/docs/Savage Worlds/

>Songs of Blades and Heroes
Anyone checked out the Advanced rules?

Haven't check the basic rules yet, despite all the expansions and shit...the "one stat fits all" keeps me away a bit.

>"one stat fits all"
It is a somewhat dull concept but it works pretty well for 1p40k.

>SAGA (if your friend likes only Fantasy stuff, he could go for fantasy-viking-chaos-barbarians for example)

Technically there is a "Totally not zombies" list for SAGA based on undead from Norse Mythology.

It's called The Revenants.

Thinking of which, it works well for Bolt Action too...tho it's a different animal.

If nothing more, I'll give it a try. Right now there are around 4-5 fantasy skirmish games are on my "to try" list, and one sole Warlord on the "have tried" one. I liked it, but I wish it had some kind of a custom unit builder or something.

Just wrote up my review for Fallen Frontiers which I backed on KS and now is on general sale. I need to play it some more to form more opinions on the gameplay, but first impressions are good. Plus the models are great. darkerdaysradio blogspot co uk/2016/09/review-fallen-frontiers.html

Oh Frostgrave seems cool. Interesting setting.

Does anyone have a link to download Into the Breeding Pits for Frostgrave? I've been unable to find it.

Yeah it was limited edition though and it's out of stock, you might still be able to find it somewhere I guess.

Personally I never liked the models, if you could just get the dice and the battle board I'd pick it up in a heartbeat but I could never bring myself to fork over £80 or whatever it was for loads of minis I didn't want to get some rules I did.

Does anyone have a copy of West Wind's Empire of the Dead? I've been looking for it for a while and haven't turned anything up.

I had wondered what happened to that game.

Interest bump.

/hwg/ is better than you autists

2numbersinarow of truth

Thanks for the shitty opinion bump.

Anyone here plays Warlord? I'm looking for the pdf of the 1st ed, and the expansion of the 2nd ed, or possibly an user who's willing to sell his books since postage from Reaper to Europe is fucking killing me.

Have you guys seen this?

kickstarter.com/projects/icarusminiatures/nexus-and-alliance-starter-sets-from-icarus-miniat

Saw it, but not my cup of tea...their first KS failed quite a bit, they even cancelled it, tho I wonder what they'll come up with this time.

I wasn't aware there was a previous KS by them. It seems they are able to reach their goal this time though.

Does anyone know where I can download a PDF for the LOTR miniatures game GW produced? I didn't see it in the trove, and I think this is the only thread where someone might have it.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/27764819/

First hit in Google for "LotR SBG pdf"

tiny Dystopian Wars Poland tanks from finished now. Will I ever get to play with them? Who knows.

just drive them around and make 'brrrrm' noises. I have to do that with my stuff :(

added to pastebin

I'm in the same boat as you m8s

Is there a good modern / sci-fi game for a guy who has a lot of modern / sci-fi character models?

Preferably something that plays simply and has a lot of customization like dragons rampant.

Savage Worlds Showdown, Rogue Planet, possibly even Rogue Trader.

Is there a PDF for Rogue planet? As much as Id like to buy it Im poor and have no idea if I even like the system.