What would a fantasy setting based on Australian Aboriginal mythology, culture and society look like...

What would a fantasy setting based on Australian Aboriginal mythology, culture and society look like? Kinda like a "mythic Australia"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qClBRaretEk
youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E
youtube.com/watch?v=hkC1K629lKM
youtube.com/watch?v=UVulkb8DPN0
youtube.com/watch?v=3Qt_62_f5iU
youtube.com/watch?v=0CJOxkxzh8s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamtime
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

Roadkill, probably.

It'd be pretty wild. The Indigenous nations had some great and terrifying mythologies. For example, those Wandjina in your picture have no mouths. Why? Because if they had mouths, and they opened them, the water pouring out would drown the world. The Indigenous peoples in the Kimberly region, where the Wandjina cult started, repainted them at the start of every wet season, in an effort to contain the coming flood from the sky. If, at the end of the wet season, the world was not underwater they could consider their efforts to have been successful.

The maxx rpg

Like that other user said some crazy shit, spirits and creatures roaming the land everywhere and all with different agendas. Not to mention all the megafauna around like the giant monitor lizards and kangaroos. Plenty of chance for adventure as A lot of Abo tribes were nomadic ,

Aborignal Mythology is great, but so is Modern and Classical Australian Myths. The bunyip, Tiddalick, Dropbears, Golliwogs and Brownies for example.

Also that story about the truckie and the white naked monster that dragged him to a nest with hanging legs.

What was the name of that alternate history series that featured a civilized Australia? Kinda made me sad that the Australian Aboriginal never amounted to anything in our own history. To think that the destiny of peoples over tens of thousands of years can be changed so drastically by variables like how easy to cultivate is the local species of yam.

Wandjina's some crazy shit. Apparently, it was common to believe that they came from the stars and gave man knowledge. Some tribes even pointed out specifically to a region of the Milky Way as their homeworld. Then there's their appearance...

Ayy lmaos?

That's not really the scope of the thread though. Besides:
>bunyip
>tiddalick
Both Indigenous.
>golliwogs
Not Australian.

>Apparently, it was common to believe that they came from the stars and gave man knowledge. Some tribes even pointed out specifically to a region of the Milky Way as their homeworld.
That's all reddit-level conjecture, there's no first-hand accounts of any Indigenous people saying anything like that. The resemblance is amusing, though.

bump cause I too would like to know about this

I can't remember what they called it, but an abbo mate of mine once told me about the little red men who live in trees.

He said if you fall asleep under their tree, they come down and eat you whole. Then, when they regurgitate you, you're a little smaller and a little redder.

If it happens enough, you become one of them.

Some fucking weird mythos they have.

There's also these little guys, who hang out in the waters of Lake Disappointment, and come out on moonless nights to drag campers into the water for a feast. They don't use their little hands to drag you away, though, oh no... They come up on you in a pack, the leader clamps his snake-like jaw over your nose and mouth, preventing you from making a noise, and then the others clamp their jaws onto your legs, and pull you slowly into the water.

There is quite a lot of UFO shit out in the middle of those aboriginal communities though. I remember seeing essays written on the subject in my university's computer system.

They're of modern origin, though. Tied to the UFO craze of the fifties and sixties.

Fucking horrifying.

Perhaps, but things like the Min Min Lights have been around for longer.

They may have been around, but they're not attributed to any extraterrestrial presence until the modern era. Cut it out, Giorgio.

What is it with you and trying to strong arm ufo's into this shit? My tribe had legends of Little Green Men, literally their name directly translated, living in the mountains and deserts or deep inside the underside of the hollow earth with lizard men occasionally raiding topside and we don't even strong arm aliens from zeta reticula into that shit.
It's just drawings of things out of proportion just like the rest of their art work cause their centers for information processing and image recognition in abo's is literally equivalent to those in monkeys and no more so their art will tend to suffer.

Oh yeah, they're called yara-ma-ya-who. Kinda like an Aboriginal vampire

>literally equivalent to those in monkeys
>literally
Good to see you're using that word properly.

Scientifically speaking abo's are legit subhuman across the board.

Oh absolutely. All the cutting edge science says so.

Just exempt the penis bifurcation thing

That's a bit odd in a way that isn't fun to role play

I know of one legend where seven sisters lived in the sky and one constellation was lit coals they used to cook with.

There are a few 'desended from the heavens' characters in the dreamtime, like in every mythology around the world because everyone could see the stars at night.
That doesn't neccessarily mean ancient aliens though.

>A subincized penis can be penetrated by another penis, provided the latter is sufficiently small. In some Australian cultures, one traditional practice involved the penetration of an elder's subincized penis by the unsubincized penis of a young boy who was usually under age 7. Some authors have theorized that this was the original purpose of subincision.
Wow. Those abo's sure are smart, ain't they.

>That doesn't neccessarily mean ancient aliens though.
My thoughts exactly.

>Subincision is traditionally performed around the world, notably in Australia, but also in Africa, South America and the Polynesian and Melanesian cultures of the Pacific, often as a coming of age ritual.
It's a human thing.

I wasn't questioning the practice as smart but the purely Australian Aboriginal reasoning behind it.

>Some authors

Eitherway. It's apparently just an abo thing cause i'm not seeing other cultures molesting 7 year olds with their pseudo vagina's.
My point remains it's just plain fucked and sounds exactly like something they'd fucking do cause a lizard-man told an 80 year old man high on poisonous substances it was a thing.

>What is it with you and trying to strong arm ufo's into this shit?
Some mods for xcom came out or updated, it's probably the only thing those posters can do or think about at the moment.
That, and Aborigine stories are ayy as fuck.

> Ayys give them kwnoledge
> They cant even count

I remember there used to be dreamtime stories on TV when I was a kid. A couple of different ones stick out in my memory.

>Fire spirit brought Koalas from the stars during an ice age to stop small children from freezing to death (I think this one is from central NSW)
>Tasmania formed when glaciers pushed it south during an ice age, no spirits or gods involved (From northern TAS)
>An old man tried to trick his son into looking after him by pretending he was blind. His son brought him two puppies from the same litter to keep him company, but eventually, they could only keep one. The old man bonded with one of the puppies and pointed out that it was his favourite when asked which one they should keep. His son took both the dogs and made his dad live alone in the desert for being a lying sack of shit (from Northern SA, I think)

It was Land of Red and Gold

Noone ever said they're were smart ayys.

The solution to every single last problem would be “burn the forest down” (so make a tribe of people who sound like Michael Caine).

Also, the rape and genital mutilation of children would be part of everyday life.

>>An old man tried to trick his son into looking after him by pretending he was blind. His son brought him two puppies from the same litter to keep him company, but eventually, they could only keep one. The old man bonded with one of the puppies and pointed out that it was his favourite when asked which one they should keep. His son took both the dogs and made his dad live alone in the desert for being a lying sack of shit (from Northern SA, I think)

Wow, even in their legends they don't work.

>southern hemisphere
>human

this is correct

>humans
>Abs
>Sub-Saharan Africans
>Native South Americans
>South Pacific Islanders
pick only one my friend

There are five distinct species that leftists call “human”. They’re not all human, user.

Amen.
Shame we never exterminated some of the more repugnant ones.
It's really just sad keeping them around, pretending they're like us and expecting them to live up to our own expectations.
It's like blaming downies for not being able to hold down jobs and correctly pay taxes. Yeah maybe you can successfully train some to do it, but most won't be able to cope, and will end up homeless sleeping on the roads if no one takes care of them.
youtube.com/watch?v=qClBRaretEk

Drink petrol and fight trucks.

I can't help imagining a scenario where the driver starts driving towards the abo, only for everything to suddenly go slow motion, metal music plays in the background, and the truck just crushes against him and flips into the air and explodes while the badass abo is left standing on one leg in the middle of the road.

Fucking magic abos.

>immovable aboject

>Austrian Aboriginals.

Don't forget these.

Beware the Drop Bear

And shun the frumious ______

bump

So we can all agree then? Keep the mythology but get rid of the abo's?

Yawkyawk.

youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E

>Dropbears
Allegedly the Dropbear myth was told to the first Europeans the the Aborigines.

Still,Terror at Lake Disappointment wouldn't make for a good horror movie title.

Oonga noonga welfare doonge boonga petrol.

First, the timeline wouldn't. Their history isn't linear.

Second, that Black Mountain is quite terrifying. A giant pile of exploding stones? No thanks.

Summoning circles of beer cans

the shamans huff petrol to have visions

Still arguably better than Disappointment at Lake Terror.

Question for all your Australians: I know they huff petroleum, but do they also drink Listerine like our injuns?

Pretty cool

There are two settings in one: The Waking World which is incredibly low fantasy with essentially no magic or monsters, and the Dream World, which is a bonkers surreal High Fantasy where the entire landscape is a patchwork of land spirits.

Okay, this is something I can work with. I'm stealing this. I have amazing ideas now.

I'd like a setting that is low fantasy until contact with a high fantasy land is made and everything goes to shit as wizards with no sense of right or wrong start teaching magic missile for laughs.

So the Maxx?

Hadn't the aboriginals forgotten how to make fire by the time the Europeans colonized Australia, or am I thinking of New Zealand?

No, that was the abos.

Beer is cheaper and is far more available.

Glad I can help. I've tried contributing to Australia threads on Veeky Forums before but not many people want to know their actual mythology or history, they just want to spout memes.
If you want some more info I can help you out.
There is one tribe called the Gagudju (also the name of their language) who are one of the tribes that live in Kakadu National Park. Like many tribes they believe themselves to be caretakers of the land and they do this by starting wildfires, painting images of animals so they do not go extinct and by visiting sacred landmarks and commune with the gods of those landmarks. See that mountain? Actually a giant crocodile.
When they light those fires, they do it before the dry season is in full force so that the wildfires do not become as devastating as they would be if they were allowed to happen naturally.
Also, they believe that the god that created the world is sleeping. It takes the form of a huge boulder sticking out of a lake. I've seen it in a documentary, but I cannot find any images of it online.
In the Dream World, I imagine they would appear to be a huge stone giant sleeping in a lake or something.
Definitely not Australians, though when Australians first reached Australia 40,000 or so years ago, they had farming technology. But since food is so plenty they can feed themselves for a whole day on an hour of hunting or gathering. That's the main reason Aboriginals produce so much art.
Basically.

I'm getting conflicting answers, here.

>But since food is so plenty they can feed themselves for a whole day on an hour of hunting or gathering.

There'd be even more food if they hadn't burnt their continent to the ground.

Don't know what you're talking about as smoking ceremonies fire, not pipes or cigars, cooked meat and even Damper bread were rather common.

It is in part 2 of the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=hkC1K629lKM
youtube.com/watch?v=UVulkb8DPN0
youtube.com/watch?v=3Qt_62_f5iU
youtube.com/watch?v=0CJOxkxzh8s
What the fuck are you talking about?

>Abs
Yeah, you don't have one.

I've heard that the Aboriginals lit fires to scare their game out into the open so that they'd be easier to hunt. The overuse of the tactic led to the deforestation of Australia.

>When they light those fires, they do it before the dry season is in full force so that the wildfires do not become as devastating as they would be if they were allowed to happen naturally.
Ah, so like those avalanche guys in Canada/Alaska that sets off small avalanches to keep big ones from happening?

Yes, Australia used to be covered in lots of forests and rain-forests.
Yes, it whole chunks burnt down and quicker growing eucalyptus and scrub took over before it could ever recover.
No, this was likely unrelated to native Australians. It was likely long dry summers and lighting. Like most of Australia's worse bushfires.

I would pay to watch that movie
It'd be an anti-horror movie where all kind of horror movie situations happen but nothing comes of it

And like the state of california TRIES to do but hippies don't let them so the entire state burns down on an annual basis

Like the beginning of Cabin in the Woods, but there's no payoff and the characters just get increasingly irritated that nobody's getting murdered.

Oh I see. Wherever humans go they alter the environment to suite their needs, often with repercussions not felt for generations.
I'm not so sure that the Ancient Australians had nothing to do do with forests being converted into grasslands, since that's what humans pretty much always do wherever they are (though most people then turn the grassland into farmland).
But since Australians have lived their so long that they have oral histories that recall when the coastlines were different and the sea levels were lower, it might have been normal climate change exacerbated by man-made deforestation.
Pretty much. They figured out when the fires come, saw how bad they can get and adapted by starting fires sooner when the grass wasn't too dry. I'm under the impression that the aboriginals were able to adapt to climate change they may have had a hand in. Their belief of sympathetic magic, in which creating an image of an animal helps prevent that species from disappearing, is related to the fact they recognized that certain species went extinct and they developed beliefs to combat that in the future.
Please help us we need water but our state is selling it to water companies who sell it back to us in bottled form.

California deserves it's fires

What the fuck is Dreamtime?

I don't get it

Is it a religion? A place? A state of mind?

One aussie told me that Abos think THIS world is only a dream, and REALITY is actually the weird shit we dream

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamtime

It's nonsense.

Beer is cheaper in australia cause they have shitty cheap beer by the boat load as compared to shit in america where listerine is still more expensive than, say, PBR.

Foster's is australian for piss

In native Aussie mythology, collectively called the Dreamtime, the world was made before time itself.
It was shaped into existence via the dreams of the original creators and until time came into being, it was essentially one massed communal dream in which everyone lived inside the dream.

That's the massively abridged version anyway.

>implying American beer has any quality to it.

Beer is cheaper and more available because there is a massive beer-drinking culture.

Most environmentalists will tell you that Aboriginal fire-cultivation of the continent is the closest thing mankind has ever come to permaculture. The environmental impact is massive, but benign.

It has better quality than german beer which is a world standard and we routinely best said germans at the annual beer contests. Australia has the shittiest and lowest standards (health and quality wise) and thus always gets dead last in said contests.
It's not even a question of opinion or taste at that point.
5 of your beers have actual metal shavings present due to your low ass standards.
I'm not even taking a swing at you its just a plain statement of fact. If it makes you feel better britains not far ahead of you.

Actually, ask any Australian what the cheapest alcohol is and they'll tell you it's wine. We have massive taxes on beer and spirits, but fuck-all on wine. Our beer is overpriced as shit. A six-pack of something midshelf can cost upwards of 16 dollars.

On the other hand, four litres of cheap wine can cost ten dollars, or your average wine bottle can be anywhere from 7 to 15.

That's true, every time I visit grandma she's always got more bottles of wine on her rack.

Wine comes in boxes here

Adding to what I said earlier, Australia has a pretty good culture of midshelf beers, excellent South Australian wines (due to terroir), and the best whiskey in the world. It's made in Tasmania.

Nah mate, the Drop Bear myth is 100% fake. It's a tourist story sort of thing. The magic of it is not to tell anyone it's fake.

Yeah but sullivan's cove isn't exactly an australian thing, I can get that anywhere.

Unplayable.

Aboriginal mythology, while pretty interesting and with few original points, revolves around maintaining status quo and being just a fiddle in hands of fate. If you stick to it, then the biggest adventure you will ever have is going from point A to B and not dying from exposure and wild animals.
And if you take "creative steps" to spice things up, you might just not use it in the first place,

Thus just skip it.

Just think, if evolution had gone just a little differently, we'd have found actual dragons in Australia.

Instead we found abbos.