What are some good locations/adventure ideas for a Wild West setting with some supernatural shit?

What are some good locations/adventure ideas for a Wild West setting with some supernatural shit?

Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7 homage.

Abandoned mine
Round up the gang of robbers hiding in the old mine hills. Don't mind anything else you hear, and don't follow anyone into a mine entrance. They're all supposed to be boarded up.

Ghost town
Find the money box buried under the floorboards of the saloon in Paradise. Of course you'll have to find Paradise first. The last inhabitants fled years ago, strange folks, but it must be somewhere over those hills.

Mountain pass
No one goes over the pass after the autumn storms have started. But this letter is crucial and must be delivered within the month!

Desert cave
Ancient redskin paintings on the walls of a large cave deep in the desert have piqued the interest of a well funded scientist from the East. Although he's not exactly clear on why he needs to get there so urgently, and he didn't mention that it is holy grounds to some injuns.

Cannibal homestead
It's the only farm for dozens of miles. People rarely go there, and the inhabitants never make it to town. Someone has to make it out there and sell them on signing a deed for the new railway to be built.

Trail of bad luck
It's understandable that you are in a hurry. But still, I wouldn't take that path. It's bad. Take the extra week and go the long way, it's much safer.

Gulch of shadow
Not much grows down there. Even the noon sun hardly makes it down there. All sorts of critters live in the cracks and burrows of that godforsaken place. Why would you want to go there?

Forgotten desert
It's pretty much the end of the world. Sure, eventually there's Mexico, but you'll never make it there. There's just no way to bring enough water. Everything that heads that way is soon forgotten.

River of tears
The natives transport everything by canoe, but never on these waters. I guess they're afraid of the gators, but them reptiles can't get up on the deck of a proper river boat. Don't worry. Upriver there's tricky shallows though, so the steamers only go up to here. Sometimes a dead deer will drift by...

look up Deadlands

What is now the Petrified Forest National Park

OP said some supernatural shit, not ALL supernatural shit with alt history.

I mean Deadlands is nice and all, but Dogs in the Vineyard makes for better games.

What about the arches in Utah?

Deadlands works great if you ignore the setting and just pick and choose the supernatural elements you want.

The Saint of Killers?

Literall ghost town.
Necromancer moved in, are your gang bad enough cowboys to take on the chain rattler gang by midnight?

They want some supernatural shit

So why not look at something with all the supernatural shit and take from that?

Utahfag here, any of our national parks make great inspiration. I recommend Zions and Capital Reef. Pic is the view from Angel's Landing.

And here is a photo of Capitol Reef. It has the perfect supernatural vibe ESPECIALLY as the sunsets and casts a pinkish glow on the desertscape.

>Small mining town where a bunch of Mormons have recently moved in. This has created tensions with the miners and whores and such being very anti-Mormon, and the Mormons being snooty.

I've always wanted to try something like this.

Sup fellow Utahfag.

Not much, just hating the culture of this shitty state but loving our godtier scenery and hiking opportunities.

Maybe because I'm a shut in, the culture doesn't bother me.

Ooooh, do you have that in higher resolution? That's beautiful.

I'm afraid I don't, but feel free to have some more photos.
Honestly OP, Utah has some of the best scenery and setting inspirations of the South West. Rivaled only by the Grand Canyon/surrounding area.

The Four Corner's region was home to the Anasazi people -- a nation that inexplicably disappeared. (true story).

What really happened was the area is at the conjunction of some powerful ley lines, which enable a certain gaian magic -- opening portals to other worlds. A distant and ancient race called the "Thern" have been influencing the development and destruction of civilizations on all the nine planets since time immemorial. The Anasazi went....elsewhere....but their magic remains, as do the gates.

This is a good hook, and I'd also like to suggest the OP lookup some of the mythology of the Pueblo dwelling indigenous peoples. There's some pretty 2spooky6me shit in there.

Magic sandstorm. Vampires live in since it blocks out the sun. But they need to bundle up to keep the sand out of their orifices, which in turn makes it kind of hard to tell they're vampires. So immortal undead sandraiders.

I have an idea for an adventure module set in a monument-valley/canyonlands sort of scrub desert. D&D 3.5, 9th level

The premise is that a powerful loner wizard had a tower inside a mesa way out in the desert, and it was pimped out and full of magical stuff. Well, he died somehow (possibly old-age; he wasn't evil so no lich), and somehow word got out. The party has to get to the tower and claim the stuff inside before a powerful evil mages guild gets to it.

They must navigate the desert to get there, so there's plenty of opportunity for survival hazards, random encounters, etc. They could fly, but there's either going to be a dragon in the area who is interested in the tower (and patrols the area to make sure no one comes) or the mages guild hired a mercenary company with aerial mounts to guard against intruders (with sharp-eyed scouts with spyglasses constantly scanning the horizon).

The mages guild has hired a band of thri-kreen hunters (led by a tashalatora) as muscle for this expedition. They seek to set up a teleport beacon to transport the mages quickly and easily (which the party can prevent).

Anyway, the dungeon itself is the mesa. I considered giving it a constant whirling sandstorm shell as a defense, but the jury is still out on that. I was going to have either a roc, a desert dragon, or a pack of Zu's (the big black birds from the FF series) act as outside dangers. The wizard's home was inside the upper section of the mesa, while the lower section is honeycombed with cave passages, some of which go around the outside of the mesa, exposed to the sky (thus the bird dangers).

There is a pool of water at the top (probably inside a cave chamber), that the wizard rigged to flush down certain tunnels when triggered, pushing people to the outside of the mesa and dropping them hundreds of feet to the ground below. This can only be triggered like four times before it needs to refill naturally.

1/2

The home itself has a sort of SW american indian aesthetic to it, with rugs, adobe, wood furnishings, clay pottery, etc. Lots of magic traps, books, labs, glyphs/magic letter stuff, etc. Construct guardians, summoned/bound outsiders, maybe a greenbound troll that looks like a cactus (like those things from the nausicaa comics).

The mages are a group of low to mid-level, with a wide assortment of races and builds, all mostly wizards/sorcerers. They provide the bulk of the enemies. Lots of magical variety there.

On the way to the mesa, depending on which way the party approaches, they go through broad flat scrub desert, winding rocky badland gorges (think the ester/wester sands from ff12), and a grand canyon style area. Lots of opportunity for climbing/aerial battles, or jumping from pillar to pillar.

So, the main three "tags" I'd give the adventure are "desert", "mages", and "vertical danger"

How about instead of just focusing on Southwest shitholes, you also include High Plains stuff? People always like to forget about things that happened North, like the Great Sioux War and stuff like the Revenant were also out "West".

For examples of non-Southwest Westerns, see Unforgiven, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Hateful Eight, and Dances with Wolves.