One of my players is going to have to deliver a baby in game sometime in the future...

One of my players is going to have to deliver a baby in game sometime in the future. I'm kicking around some ideas on how I want to do it but I'd like to see how some other DMs would do it. Assume its a high stress situation and explain how you'd do it in whatever system your most comfortable running.

Tell us what the setting is and whatnot. Is it going to be another PC giving birth or an NPC? Did you want to involve any mechanical effects?

Personally, I'd probably make the PC make a couple of rolls just for drama. I think the more important and interesting thing would be keeping the mother safe while she gives birth.

Wait what?

Dude rolling dice isn't going to help you deliver a baby take that shit to the hospital or get a professional mid wife or something goddamn.

He's delivering and NPCs baby but she's been travelling with the party since session one. Near future campaign, assume medical technology is the same as today but he will likely only have things you could find in your average house, a medkit at most.

>in game

Assuming "high stress" means unmedicated and not in a hospital.

Lose 1d6 HP
1d2/1d6 SAN loss
And that's just if the baby comes out human.

Just play a video of a woman giving birth for your party.

Forgot to add 0/1d4 SAN loss for anyone watching the birth.

>keeping the mother safe while she
And also I forgot to mention it's a man

> roll two d20s to roll for the number of hours it will take to give birth
> look up birth complications for the mother and the baby and make a table for that and have them roll it every one or two hours
> make sure the party has all the proper equipment- bowl, hot water, something to wrap the baby with- missing equipment will have detrimental to the baby and the mother's survival

Pathfinder, Orc monk, Flurry Of Blows

replace mother with father

Gonna have to throw a few more d6s on that SAN

Play the movie Junior then.

>Birth takes 40 hours

Idkboutdat

Kek

>she's been travelling with the party since session one
>also I forgot to mention it's a man

Which is it? Or did you mean that a man is doing the delivering?

You sweet summer child.

The man is pregnant. Well, "man"

U ruined it

OK, is this going to be an issue for delivery? Do you want to deal with particular complications? Otherwise, I still think just keeping people safe during the birth is challenge enough. Maybe needing to improvise some tools or whatnot.

GURPS

>"in game"
>"one of my players"
>not characters
>"players"

In extreme cases, labor can go on for longer than 40 hours. It's rare, but it happens, and OP did say he wanted drama.

>One of my players

This thread is making me roll san checks irl.

What do you mean like is a tranny giving birth or is this some whacko fucking seahorse shit?

Might even be a woman disguised as a man that's been pregnant this entire time!

Eh... I just honestly ask for a Heal check with a 12 DC, since it's not like it's a hard thing, old ladies with warm towels can do it and all. That's the bare minimum for some pain and a child who survives the birth.
You can adapt that to any system, assuming it isn't DnD. Just use whatever skill there is for medical/surgery related stuff, grab a DC and ask for the roll.
The only way I can imagine a "high stress situation" would be asking for several checks, it taking several full-round actions to complete, all while the rest of the party has to defend you from monsters or something.

This, I've had a PC deliver in one of my campaigns and I just had the cleric do some heal checks. Adventuring whole pregnant and subsequent taking care of the child is far more interesting to roleplay than 10-20 hours of "yep, sues still working on delivering the baby". The only way you cold make it involved is if you went into way too much detail that I'm sure most of your players don't give a shit about

In the back of a moving wagon, during a chase scene. On the one hand, your friends are up front, fighting the bad guys on the other wagon, on the other, you're delivering a fucking baby back here, could you, please, try to keep the gods-damned wagon steady you fucking twats?!

Player takes -8 to all actions for 1h to 8h (600-4800 rounds, I'd use 1d8 x 600)
Then, create a baby token on an adjacent tile to player (1hp, low stats)
Afterwards, player still takes -2 to all actions for 2h
Overall it's a bad combat move.

>This thread

Con saves for the mother, medicine checks for the healer who's helping out (please tell me she's not the only one with medicine trained). Good rolls make it quicker and cleaner, bad rolls extend it and bring the risk of injury or death. Don't just let them throw a few heal spells at the situation and be done with it that wouldn't do shit for complications like the umbilical chord being wrapped around the baby's neck. Mom should also be taking damage rolls, but they should be small ones that are only dangerous if things get drawn out.