/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Classic Art Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

So how does your magic sound/taste/feel/look, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Avolakia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are there any combat grids for the starting drow fortress in OoTA? If so where can I find them?

Octarine

>So how does your magic sound/taste/feel/look, user?
I tend to let my players flavor it how they wish.

Actually I disagree, but only because of how the original Planescape was actually written.
Unfortunately it was constructed like the Old World of Darkness games, heavy on invincible NPC's who cannot loose and detailed organizations and places where they tell you "you will totally instantly die if you go here, how extreme is that?" but few actual player plot hooks and not much space for independent adventurers not affiliated with the wildly opposed to each other factions.

If it was substantially re-written flavor wise but with the same setting and style you might be right.

this is a fantastic way to let players roleplay. I also let my players fluff their spells to how they want it - change Firebolt to Icebolt permanently, for example, if it fits more to their magic.

The damage-changing can have some effects on balance, but if they want something more fitting their character I'll usually go in and crank something out for them. Sacred flame that deals lightning damage, a radiant firebolt to replace sacred flame... actually both of the players who asked for cantrip changes like that were clerics.

Abjuration- Tastes like Salt
- Smells like Wood

Conjuration- Tastes like Tin
- Smells like Sawdust

Divination- Tastes like Green Tea
- Smells like Incense

Enchantment- Tastes like Sugar
- Smells like Wilting Flowers

Evocation- Tastes like Paprika
- Smells like Rain

Illusion- Tastes like Rosewater
- Smells like Chocolate

Necromancy- Tastes like Cinnamon
- Smells like Cold

Transmutation- Rotates through tasting like Red Wine, Pepercorn, and Grass
- Rotates through smelling like Glue, Oak Leaves, Granite, and Livestock.

Divine sources of magic taste/smell like approximations of these things. So divine based evocation is not paprika per se, but might be cumin?

You're right, gods should be easy to kill, hell should be fun to walk through, dozens of planes with infinite space aren't enough, the smallest trinket being a quest hook isn't enough quest hooks, and multiple factions for players to choose from just confuses them.

Man I wish I played in your campaign.

, This is what I've been doing as well actually, letting the players imagination run wild with it as long as it fits the basic description of the spell.

We've had two Clerics, a Light and War Domain one; the light one had lots of brilliant flashes of light and gentle glowing, but the War one had stuff like battle drums and powerful glows accompanied by war cries and much less visual affects, emphasizing more the physicality of his deity.
The Wizard we had had lots of instant magic runes; formulae and equations appearing as he twisted energy into shaped that worked for his learning.
The Sorcerer had lots of slow gathering of raw power and energy from the environment, kind of like he "inhaled" energy which took the form of existing spells.
Warlocks were easy; I just made the magic look super evil. Lots of raw crackling power and glowing eyes and warped voices and belching hellfire and weird demonic runes appearing over the body and shit.

Well yeah it was written with a lot of nearly impossible to kill enemies. It's second edition most things in the Monster Manual can turn you into paste. The only reason it doesn't work now is because the game is balanced so the players are fucking superheroes after 5th level.

How would the rest of you guys handle an exorcism?

No, it wasn't setting. The setting was brilliant. It was how it was PRESENTED that's a problem and actually just symptomatic of what other games were doing at the time.

I don't actually judge settings by fluff content because that's inane and stupid, seeing as that shit is all subjective.
I judge by presentation and mechanics, and I think presentation aside Planescape might be the most "flexible" D&D setting edition-wise since the mechanics of D&D planar stuff really doesn't have much to do with rules.

A good game of Planescape would probably feel like those Myth Incorporated books.

Well you have to remember people forget there wasn't a time where you couldn't make Skippy the 3rd level Kobold god in game.

It's going to be a 'burn the witch' type setting, so subtle where applicable.

No matter how powerful the characters get, I like magic to feel mysterious and ancient, a force that will never truly be understood.

I think it's called Velkynvelve? Any help?

Level 8 Devotion Paladin here trying to figure out what to do for leveling up.

Setting is CoS. We are about to enter Strahd's castle. Character theme is a space marine librarian (leaning towards martial combat versus support). During a warp jump, warp beasts broke through the hull and steam poured in. When it cleared he found himself in Barovia.

Rolled stats are 20/8/14/7/14/16 w/ GWM feat. I mostly charge in and beat shit up.

Should I continue leveling pally or I was thinking going levels in sorc (wild magic). I could quicken spells or cantrips and wild magic surge might make sense for a librarian tapping into the plane.

Rest of the group: life cleric, thief rogue, wizard/fighter, pally/lock (6/3)

Boy that Barbarian lady has nice thighs.
Why can't no-pants adventurers come into fashion again?

Diskworld for the win

I don't know about chanting, just because I feel like it would take too long for a six second round. But variations on crossing oneself that are appropriate for the setting is a cool idea. Will be using.

I try to give the players an idea of the setting itself and let them come up with spell flavors on their own.

There's no battle map, just the regular map.

That's a good point. The planescape books were mostly just, 'There's an infinite space for you to work in... But here's what you'll find in a few of those places.'

I like this. I would do the same if my players didn't need the push to imaginate that kind of thing on their own.

Because it's "not realistic" and "degrading to women"

There's a scale on there, just match your battle grid to it.

And yes, it is very, very cramped.

Unfortunately, there aren't any combat grids for the starting area

but if you're autismo like me you could always just go into paint and use the sizing guides to make your own grids

How do you play your pirates, you sodly pack of ingrates?

I'm not that kind of autismo, but I did find a map of it.

If you wanted to play an intelligent strategist/planner character, what class would you choose?

I'm looking for ideas for cool Divine verbal and somatics. So far running on the setting appropriate version of crossing oneself and suchlike, combined with ground shaking, booming, etc.

Bard or Battlemaster Fighter, for mechanics.

Literally anything you want, coupled with using strategies and planning. Be a badass Wizard Admiral. Be a clever Tactical Druid. The weirder the better.

A Wizard fluffed as a warmage, or a Fighter/Paladin with higher than average INT.

It needed a bit more actual hooks I think, and a lot less trying to be "tool cool for regular D&D" as was often popular among games at the time.
Kinda sucks when that happens.
While certainly not realistic (or even remotely practical), it ironically stems from a decade when women showing how fit and attractive they are was considered extremely empowering.

Of course the same decade also gave us hair with more volume then the average human male torso, so it was a toss up.

I feel like if you do want a combat strategist you're gonna wanna take Combat Maneuvers. Definitely the one where you direct an ally to make an attack.

Mastermind Rogue.

I've done Viking-style pirates, Carribean-style pirates, Mediterranean-style pirates and interdimensional space pirates for D&D, JUST in this edition.

Any thoughts?

I have one, but it's impolite and disparages your choice of theme so I won't say it.

Hah! Touche.

I honestly have very little experience in the game but I'm unsure if dipping into Sorc for 3 levels for Metamagic would be very useful on Paladin. I could be wrong though, I don't really know exactly how spellcasty you guys are compared to Cleric or Warlock, who I think both benefit more from metamagic.

>While certainly not realistic (or even remotely practical)

Tell that to the Greeks.

How exactly are you planning on fluffing all the OTHER abilities vanilla Space Marines have, like.say, bulletproof skin, two hearts, or, you know, BEING 2.5 METERS TALL?

And lest I forget, he better hope he never returns back to the 40th millenium, since he clearly wasn't paying attention to all those 'kill the Xenos wherever you find it' classes.

he has a massive shield to protect his thighs with

In a bit more constructive tones; playing a Devotion Pally on CoS is an excellent choice, and Pally's are awesome.
Why dilute it with Sorcerer simply because you feel the strange edition hold-over urge to multi-class? If it's because you're already bored, then that's fine though I'n guessing that won't fix the core problem for very long.

If it's because you heard on herr that it was the way to go, the only thing you should be taking on here without several heaping grains of salt with it are the resources posted in the Mega.

The Greeks pulled that off with formation fighting, not skirmish combat.
And they STILL ended up wearing pants when they went north anyway; they used to think culturally it was the height of barbarism to wear pants (Rome was pretty warm before the climate shift that appeared near the end of it's Empire), but they ALL ended up wearing them anyway when they went north, shit was cold as fuck.

I second this

Mastermind is so overlooked.

Yeah, because playing an adventure where the ending is literally your characters admitting that nothing can ever kill the Lady of Pain because she iz da greatest being evarrr is totally fun.

Your framing of Planescape makes it sound like the worst when I know it's not. I get what you are going for, but if fails horribly.

Because Heaven forbid the players aren't allowed to fuck with the cosmic keystones of the universe. That would be restricting their freedom, amirite?

Race stats it is a reskinned Goliath. The racial helps with that as well. (Although I realize that it isn't quite as bulletproof).

The other races are a halfling, warforged, human, and dwarf. There was a begrudging truce with the dwarf due to the necessity of the situation.

I hadn't really planned that far ahead to be honest. I might just stick straight pally. If I went sorc it would be to convert high level slots into more low level slots or use quickened self-support spells like jump, bless, protection from good/evil, or even cantrips like booming blade or greenflame blade. (which AFAIK you can use GWM feat with).

It was just a thought to see what others thought.

, Neither of those things were my problem, actually.

Given the fact that the no pants thing was kind of standard for Greeks and Roman's it's not exactly unfeasible to imagine that people would have fought skirmish style.

I'm just saying it's not completely unrealistic.

That shield ain't protecting those thighs. Too small.

It isn't you are correct, just a little odd for the roughly late 14th century technology most D&D settings seem to have.

I need an idea for a character, any ideas?

What's so good about them?

What do you want to play?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
Play this asshole

I kinda want to play a bard

ranger that just lost his animal companion. Uses this as the motivation for favored enemy

Oi, da fuck are your verbals and somatics like?

Do it then. Bards are awesome.
You wasn't hit more stuff or focus more on the magical side of things?

Why would you limit yourself to 14th century? This is an RPG. Besides I find pre-feudalistic society far more interesting than medieval Europe.

Play a Wizard Gnome that had no direction or ambitions in life, so when he was kicked out of home by his parents he just joined the first group of people he met, constantly asking them what to do with his life.
Basically yourself.

I don't, I was making basic assumptions based on the type of equipment available for characters and the technology available of a "standard" type of D&D setting.

I've done weirder stuff before though. And

>Too small.
it's covering most of his thigh even while standing stock fucking straight

magical side of things, I just need a good character background

You get great features for espionage like perfectly mimicking voices right away, along with can grant advantage to allies within 30ft as a bonus action. Their ribbon is like Battlemaster but can out dangerous targets that wouldn't look like it. They can use their reaction to force a creature to hit another being used as half cover. The 17th level is weak, but only because it's so narrow - can lie to thought reading spells and such.

Yeah, having a game where the players endeavor to do something other than go full murderhobo on the strongest thing they can find does sound fun.

I always went under the assumption that D&D was more of a Conan-esque setting than anything else, mostly because of statements from Gygax and the whole barbarians as a class thing, but in that instance I get were you're coming from.

Only joking love.

Think of an interesting method of making music, that isn't particularly a burden to always have on you.

I have always wanted to play a beat boxing, whistling, or tap dancing bard.

It may have been intended that way by some (especially considering when it was made originally), but neither Greyhawk nor FR or Dragonlance really much resemble the Hyborian Age in style and execution.

>Divine Enchantment.
>Tastes like saccharine.

Maybe but then again you have to consider that the Hyborian Age was nothing more than a mismatch of a lot of cultures and technologies in the same area. There are 17th century pirates next to Greek city states, and 15th century kingdoms.

I know, but "classic" D&D settings even when they have differing cultures tend to be mildly more uniform.

Only mildly though.
In hyper-detailed settings like FR the most common thing you can usually that all the cultures share is that they all seem to have pretty decently advantage metallurgical skills regardless of whatever other civilization they might look like.

>No no, of course I totally trust and love you, divine tool #4484793
>I mean Cleric Dave
>Of course I know all your names, faithful servant.
>No, I didn't just have an angel look it up for me.
>Stop asking questions and smite damnit.

Posted in the last thread, still curious.
How would I convert these guys over?
realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Avolakia

I don't think I'd change too much actually.
Maybe give it more HP, drop it's AC a bit, drop it's attack score a bit, , give it Resistance to nonmagical weapons except for fire and acid?

How would you represent a 3-dex character?

In chronic pain from arthritis or something.

My group is running a gestalt game.
Im a bard/fighter.
We handle initiative as doing it at the start of every round, which means certain effects (like capstone abilities) will activate far more often.
We are currently only level 3, meaning my character is bard3 fighter3.

Is it worth it to dip one or more levels into the revised ranger? If so, which class should I shaft for it?

What's your go-to resource for campaign music, fellow anons?

Something like this?

Sexy. Enervation isn't a spell anymore, though--would an equivalent be a 3/day Con save or gain level of exhaustion?

And I hate to be that guy, but it's avolakia, ending with an "a"

I missed all of the new UA ranger discussion

what do you guys think?

Go Warlock for the separate short rest spell slots which can share both your spell lists, and vice versa with your pally slots.

Do Undying Pact, the Emprah is your pact lord.

It's good.

It's not bad, definitely better than the original. Still a few hang ups here and there but nothing that makes it bad.

I'm going to play D&D for the first time with a real character tonight. What alignment would stealing your former employer's weapons because they didn't pay you and threatening to cut of a goblin's fingers to save some villagers fit in?

Chaotic good to chaotic neutral.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking about actions in terms of alignments. Focus on whether or not your character would do such things and what the possible consequences would be.

Alignment isn't about what you do, its about who you are.

What even is a Mastermind Rogue?

>Desperately want to play in a game
>The character concept I have is best represented as a Bladelock
>tfw my options are suck a DM's dick so they make bladelocks good, run my own game with houserules and run a DMPC, or suffer in silence
Feels bad man.

Would you have objections to a party member portraying a rotund and jolly monk with far more dexterity than their appearance would beget?

Stupid question: How do people usually make custom character sheets? Just slapping shit together in photoshop? I can never find one I'm happy with, and I'm sick of having like 6 pages for my character's shit.