Artifact Creation: Holy Sword (Help!)

Alright Veeky Forums i could use some help on this one, I'm all for helping players create their own unique magic items for my game, they like it and i like it.

a player of mine recently decided he wants to create a weapon. he keeps changing what he wants with this weapon, and he keeps changing what his character idea is. so i can't help him at all.

Ive finally put my foot down and said he has to send me a version of it before the next game, and he hasn't gotten around to it, so I'm just going to make him something.

i really have nothing to go off of besides that its a holy sword, he doesn't worship any specific god, but currently (which it may change) it is a part of a church that is bent on protecting humanity from otherworldly monsters.

so I'm trying to build him a holy sword tonight and I'm a little drained on ideas aside from Smite and Heal, basic holy shit.

Could i get a little help?

hes forfeited his right to a personalized weapon when he refused to make up his mind so go crazy.

Pic related is what he sent me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ErRAM2wuMJg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Artifact? Those are usually sentient.

Hmm.. The sword changes the god it smites for every day/week/new moon. It will always proudly and loudly proclaim to serve that god, so all around it may know.

It will also object to being put away when it feels that there's smiting to be done.

OP what sort of power level is this thing?

A couple minor powers like an attack buff and a ranged smite.

Or are we talking divine light to buff all your allies and smite a battlefield. Likely not this one, but what level are we talking.

Have you considered cooldowns and limited uses as well, what about ritual requirements? I like to put limits but add more powers when I make artifacts.

Hmm, I suggest since it's a weapon maybe no healing powers. However maybe a detect evil if your setting has alignment

ha, that does very much fit the player, changing his mind every day. but wouldn't the sword be more dangerous if it were to support lets say khorne and believes everything need to be smote?

better than a +2 sword, but not excalibur

>wouldn't the sword be more dangerous
Well, yes. But that's part of the charm. You better live up to it's expectations.

+3d6 (scale this to their level) damage to outsiders

+2 sword

what I've gotten now

- allows the warrior to create a shield out of light
- get stronger by being exposed to direct sunlight
- cast a protective barrier or self or allies
- increase speed and damage of allies within range
- create a 15 ft radius dome of protection with lots of hit points

I don't really know what level your group is, but that might be far to strong if they are too low of a level.

Give him a weapon which can change shape and has an empathic intelligence, because it's technically an angel. It fits with his personality. It hangs out as a gauntlet when it's not being used, and makes him look unarmed.

What are some of the ideas he had?

That's clearly what he wants. I've done something similar in my game, given PCs something strong enough that it's implicit in their character, not something they'll give up quickly.

I do agree that it's a lot to start with though. Additionally, it seems to be all shielding stuff. Does it have to be a sword? Maybe it's the scabbard where the real power comes from

OP, WHAT GAME IS THIS, what is the projected scale and advancement of the pcs, what are the details of the pc in question?
Such a thing should be tailored to their projected growth, reinforcing some strengths and offering a way to mitigate weaknesses of their chosen method of battle.
Until this is answered, this is shit on a wall, yeah, it sticks, but it still stinks.

this is just a thought, but what about setting up the powers it has, then limiting its initial strength? make it a quest in and of itself to gain that artifacts full power.

I'm not sure why you're acting like a sword would give protection powers. A sword is a weapon for killing, and it's powers should reflect that no matter how Good it's creator was.

Why don't you list off the other players weapons? Additionally, you should make flexibility a central part of the weapon. What about a glove that lets him draw a weapon from the environment? Stone sword, grass axe, etc. different powers for different material

Or maybe he starts out with higher stats and no weapon. His destiny has been rerouted. Maybe a villain has a sword meant for him.

Someones never watched rurouni kenshin. Literally at the end of the first episode, kenshin basically states that, yeah, weapons are tools to kill people, and learning to use them is tantamount to learning to kill. But he also said he would like to believe in the illusion that swords can save lives just as much as take them.

There isn't a reason for a sword to give protection powers, but there's no reason for it not too either.

someone gets their life philosophy from childrens cartoons

We're playing a game of fantasy and magic. If anything, the childrens show about cartoons makes more sense.

That said, the statement isn't wrong, regardless of what you want to say about its source. A sword can be used to defend others, just as much as to kill.

>Childrens show about cartoons

wow i'm retarded. Meant to say childrens cartoon.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErRAM2wuMJg

did u even play revengence

That highlights my point perfectly. What a sword is used for is entirely dependent on who is using it and their reasons for doing so.

The weapon should have an ability to glow when faced with deception, to alert the users to lies and trickery. It'll glow when somebody tells a lie or covers their identity up with magic.

Basically, Truthguard.

he was wrong about his sword being a tool of justice for like the entire game. He lost a duel because he tried to rationalize the sword as a tool for justice instead of as a weapon for killing. Seriously. That was like a major theme

So you are saying its literally impossible for a sword to be used to protect someone because one time in a video game a dude went into what amounts to a berserker rage to beat a roided out senator?

Thats cherry picked as fuck

No one said its easy to protect with a sword. But its not impossible either.

i agree, it may be a little much for a low level party, but is right, i try to make it so these are something to stick with them for the foreseeable future. fine line to walk.

game, slow advancement, anima beyond fantasy. as for the character, i don't know, like i said he keeps changing the idea, the only thing he has right now is "holy sword"

i tried giving him suggestions of other objects besides a longsword, he was married to the idea, its the ONLY thing that he refuses to change

I suggested this earlier as well, but limiting the initial abilities of the sword and having them unlock at specific events or milestones is one way to turn that fine line into a manageable one.

Making a quest out of it could be fun in and of itself.

>the unchanged sword

>>this sword cannot be changed. It does not rust, it cannot break, and once it has bonded with someone, it does not leave their side.

>>the wielded gets a measure of the swords unbreakability. His skin is like iron and he ages at half rate

that is a good idea