GW are coming full circle and a lot of these new plastic kits are basically monopose with little room for conversion...

GW are coming full circle and a lot of these new plastic kits are basically monopose with little room for conversion, it's just they come on a sprue instead of being cast in metal now, and seem a lot more expensive for it.

For example, most older plastic kits had separate head, arms, legs, torso, then the accessories like pouches etc. Now even infantry models have split bodies with halves of legs on, or one half of a pauldron attached to the torso and the other half on the arm rather than a single piece.

Do you think this is deliberate, especially with AoS, where because it's a new IP they can say exactly what a Khorne Bloodbound™ Bloodsecrator™ looks like, whilst for example there's been dozens of Space Marine Chaplain models over the years so basically any black-armoured marine with a skull helmet is understandable, so there's a dilution of sales.

Or is it just them trying to make the models more dynamic?

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/de-DE/CSM-Terminator-Lords-Cadre
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's definitely deliberate, there is no easy way of swapping components without destroying at least part of one of the models.

>49371067
I guess it's the latter, posable models always mean some kind of compromise, so they've opted to make the models more pretty to justify prices as THE BEST MODELS ON THE MARKET©.

What the hell?

Agreed. As much as I do actually like the new Wulfen models, I was really disappointed that they were ALL mono-pose.

It means the thighs dig into the torso. They are at some awkward angles, and have 20 of them means that there are 4 of each pose so I have to distribute them differently across the squads.

Even the arms have a single fit pose against the shoulder with no reposing.

It's not desired compared to ball and socket joints or even the flat surface joints for space marine arms and torsos... I don't know what triggered this regression in design.

Chapter house lawsuit you derps.

If everyone is allowed to craft your bits through simple press molds, you make them obsolete with updated designs.

B-but that scenic base

woah ebay is cheaper

>new releases are literally monopose

MUH CUSTOMIZATION

Plastic SM Captains have always been boring, that price point is ridiculous though. This guy was pretty dull but at least you got loads of options and could spread them out.

It does seem they've regressed, even three years ago they were making some ridiculous kits with loads of spare bits. Now it's all like says.

Like the free model on this White Dwarf is apparently £18 from GW.

Even on ebay, the one below will be 30% off retail max.

I dont see a problem with monopose, in some cases they look better than the multipart kits.

It also makes sure players are less likely to make mistakes when sticking their models together. I'm sure I could dig out pictures of guys with thier heads on the wonk or oddly posed

I'm just glad they revamped the Dark Eldar when they did, just before this monopose stuff came in.

The DE kits are awesome for customization, it just means I take ages with them so I can magnetize all the combinations.

>tfw 90% of games at FLGSs look like this anyway

This is just all the result of surveys conducted, and I'm sure they've discovered that conversions are no longer popular and that there are more people having issues actually putting these things together and it's more economical to help people assemble the product and sell it to them than it is to design something on the presumption someone is going to make the effort to convert.

>I'm sure they've discovered that conversions are no longer popular and that there are more people having issues actually putting these things together
What the fuck, surely not
Even as a kid fucking around with models I loved converting, making mutants like in the Eye of Terror book was a blast, what kind of person cannot and will not convert?

>what kind of person cannot and will not convert?

Hillshills.

True, this guy was pretty boring, but it was a proper kit and it was a nice alternative to the monoposed metal minis they were selling during that time.

There were options and optional bits and the pose was entirely up to you.

Todays HQ plastics are just an insult. At least they seem to move away from their shitty finecast.

At least they still sell pic related. Thats a proper HQ miniature and actually worth its price (its actually cheaper than many of the monopose plastics)

True, but see Other examples are the Chosen from the dark vengeance box. Certainly among the best chaos minis, yet cheap as dirt

Now i feel ill

>Or is it just them trying to make the models more dynamic?

This. They can do shit with the sculpting here they couldn't otherwise. Which I guess makes for prettier looking stock photos, but missing out on easy customisation doesn't call for any conspiracy theories.

>It also makes sure players are less likely to make mistakes when sticking their models together

Yay, I get a massive embuggerance to deal with so that the idiots get less chance of fucking up? How happy I am.

>I dont see a problem with monopose, in some cases they look better than the multipart kits.

There is no problem with monoposes, but there is a problem if they ask $20+ for a single mini with monopose.

>in some cases
Exactly. In others it looks boring or even bad. But thats mostly taste.

That being said, a kit like just offers more options which is always better for an experienced hobbist.
In my book monopose minis should be reserved for Starter sets and other "beginner-friendly" boxes (like the paint set for example) as a cheap alternative, not the only (expensive) option.

its almost like ones from a bundle pack sold to be at a discount to new players.

Not to mention that back in those days you could get this HQ and unit of Terminators and make them cooler and also "your dudes" with the extra bits. Thats shit today.

30 dollar ugly monopose space marine? That's like, a third of the cost of an Infinity army, with it's glorious models.

they still sell that bundle:

>games-workshop.com/de-DE/CSM-Terminator-Lords-Cadre

It actually saves you 10€ compared to buying both separate boxes (36 + 19,50)

Its also 50% of a start collecting box.

HQ prices are just retarded.

>That's like, a third of the cost of an Infinity army, with it's glorious models.
But user, Infinity minis are all monopo~ oh wait...

What a load of shit, if this was about making things easier for people, why would they then cover them in ridiculous amounts of trinkets and over-designed detailing?

Except for the Sigmarines, Little Timmy is never painting newer stuff well, I can't imagine some of the horrors on GW tables. No kid is painting stuff like the new Nagash model very well.

Like the Chosen in the intro box. Before, with a set like Battle for Macragge, he might have got his Space Marines done okay and the Tyranids skin and armour plates two different colours inside the lines, and felt he'd done a good job, now he won't have that chance.

He doesn't need to. He can simply play the Dark Angels.

I went in a GW for the new White Dwarf, some kids were playing AoS.

One had the Sigmarine with the magical swirls around him, and it was literally just sprayed car-paint gold. Looked like a cheap chinese Christmas tree topper.

Seconded. Customisation while assembling is easy and fun. Even putting a squad of basic guardsmen together is fun when you can dick about with poses and minor conversions.

Man fuck little timmy, I groan every time I run into that level of detail. I just about dealt with painting up all the chosen and the Chaos lord from DV for a Kill Team. Fuck doing that for a whole army.

Still better than unpainted

This table is appalling, doubly so since it's on the 40K Wikipedia page and represents our hobby to curious outsiders.

It's a shame too, because it looks like the defiler in the back left has some awesome greenstuffing.

Yeah it's shit but it annoys me when people moan about Stealth Suits being black, they're fucking stealth suits lol.

Is this meant to be a joke about how there's no stealthsuits visible there or something?

This, which turboautist thought this would be a nice picture on wikipedia? Without looking there's probably a 2000-word edit war defending using it.

I haven't had a game since 6th Edition WHFB, and now I refuse to try and play a game of AoS at my nearest GW until I have at least a small army fully painted.

Problem is, I am a slow painter and I insist on painting to this level of quality minimum. Am I being to fussy?

The few time I have been into the GW and seen people playing, most models seem to have been painted. I didn't stop to inspect them closely since I figured it would be rude to the people playing, but only a couple of newer models were ever unpainted/primer only.
Am I being to fussy?

Maybe, but there is nothing wrong with the want to have a good painted army.

Point about character models isn't to be individually packed stock models, but something different from the regular models. As said, the SM captain is rather dull, because it has to adhere to the basic tactical marine build and thus can't do flashy poses or anything. It's just a tactical marine with extra shit tacked on. As I remember, it never sold that well, which is why you never saw plenty of releases like it. Why would you even buy it, when you can take some spare bits from all your other kits and make something similar that way? It takes way more sprues, which means more work and investment, takes up more space, etc.

End of the day, how many characters were you planning on getting for your army? One or two? And that's assuming you don't just kitbash them from spare bits. So how much should GW invest in making boxes of spare bits over making flashy models that are not like the regular models? Sure, the prices are crazy and I agree, but on the other hand, it's what the people are willing to pay for them and it covers their cost. It's not like with tactical marine boxes, where every marine army has at least one or two of them. Not everyone making a Marine army is buying that librarian or captain model.

Of course there's always the option to just not buy them and let the free market decide, but then we'd just perpetuate GW just ceasing production of all character models and turning 40k into Age of Emperor. Can't wait for future faggots telling me it's my fault for not buying those shitty GW minis and supporting the game.

>tl;dr, excessive GW shilling and premium shit peddling

>Why would you even buy it, when you can take some spare bits from all your other kits and make something similar that way?

While this is right, its also true for most of the character models. Granted, some huge beasts like Nagash or other "named" Characters are special, but generic stuff like "Space Marine Heroes" is nothing but three regular marines with some flashy bits slapped onto them, for the price of a whole tactical squad.
Same result, less flexibility for the customer.

Then fans buy Raging Heroes because ball and socket joints. You adapt to the market and offer a superior product at competitive pricing, not rely on your greatly reduced number of stores to enforce playing with your models.

>nothing but three regular marines with some flashy bits slapped onto them

That captain has things you couldn't do with regular bits, like the cape wrapped around his body like that or that combi-bolter arm. The sword arm does look like you can switch it out for a different army.

The librarian does come in pieces that look like you can mix it with regular SM kits. With some creative mix of it and spare SM bits I'm sure you could make 2-3 librarians with it.

Don't know about the chaplain.

Id say those new Death Watch Veteran Squads are a step in the right direction

>If everyone is allowed to craft your bits through simple press molds, you make them obsolete with updated designs.

Sounds more like chinashit than 3rd party companies.

If making spare parts for your products is the reason you're dying, how is it that other industries have not gone under? I don't remember car or gun companies suffering when 3rd parties make cosmetic parts for their products. Hell, you'd think it'd boost their sales because they'd still need that original to put all those bits on them.

>Of course there's always the option to just not buy them and let the free market decide

It drives me up the fucking wall when people say this shit.

Complaints and word of mouth are PART of the free market you shitheel.

I want you to take a moment and explain to me what exactly you thought I said and what exactly is your point.

>bee building ork army for years
>never finished painting it
>because they're unpainted I've never wanted to bring them in for a game
>will probably never paint them because I don't really have the room
>still want to buy models and paint them
Will I ever get a game in?

When i start a new army my first goal is to get at least the bare minimum to make it playable painted. My army won't be the strongest, but at least i can get some games.

I'm pretty sure if GW sold a pack that would make 3-5 Librarians for their Conclave, and another that made 3-5 Sorcerers for their Cabal with a dick ton of bits, and priced each one at $55, they would sell like gangbusters. Release a bike conversion box that's compatible with either kit and has either Chaos or Loyal regalia for another $40 and people would still eat them up. People do buy a fuck ton of characters, but they are
1. Psykers
2. Need bits to differentate them since they all have different powers
3. Use power axes.

Chaos/SM players chime in, wold you buy these?

>sell one 3-5 model conversion kit for $55
>sell 3-5 models for $55 each

In all fairness, imagine if Apple released an adapter that fitted all their proprietary plugs? Wouldn't they make gangbusters? For a while. While crippling their proprietary cable and charger sales.

Yes, that's also why they force their new illustrators to paint characters that look EXACTLY like their models, with NO ROOM FOR IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY.

watching gw make shit, idiots keep eating it, and grogs on tg cry sweet tears of frustration is deeply satisfying in a perverse way

I miss the time when everything was interchangeable and when you could make a librarian out of bits and crap.

But silly user, you can just buy your Librarian for $30 and save yourself the trouble of building it. GW are such a nice company, they have a pre-made model for everything.

Unlike today, when multi-part kits are coming out for everyone. You expect me to get some GK torsos and mix them with my SM bits? Are you mad?!

I remember when people ran single piece metal armies. We didn't complain about "muh bitz" and "muh opchuns" back then. We enjoyed what we got with a stuff upper lip saluting the Queen, damn it!

>hehe, everyone is stupid, but me!

Wow that is lazy as fuck.

This is the policy that will kill GW.

Destroying WHFB was a mistake, but even then there might have been hope for the future.
This on the other hand destroys the only things GW has going for it: Their settings, their art and the creative side of modelling.

Monopose miniatures aren't a new thing. But they are regressing backwards and moving away from what keeps people interested in miniatures games over computer games - the conversion aspects.
Their outsourced art is a real step down from the old in-house stuff, but even worse is the fact that they're straightjacketing the artist's creativity as well.
GW was built on the creativity of its artists, and without that, it has nothing.

>they are regressing backwards and moving away from what keeps people interested in miniatures games over computer games - the conversion aspects

By releasing plastic monopose character models instead of metal/resin monopose character models?

Their individual dudes in blisters have been $30 for a while now. While I think that they look nice, I agree that as far as value goes other companies do a better job. Look at Wyrd's figures for instance. Individual hard plastic guys like GW but with much more dynamic poses and at a third of the price. Do what I do and buy them for $5 a piece from Chinaman.

Not all of their multipose miniatures looks food either.

>looks good

That pic of your mans? They look bretty damn gud! Pull them off of those shitty square bases and put them on proper round skrimish basings.

>10 wyches $25
>Sucubus $20

I genuinely prefer models like this. Not an inch of pretentious overdetailing on them.

That's the problem.
The GW models have too much random bullshit. Spikes for the sake of spikes. Logos and emblems just to fill space.

There's no sense of design. Just toss on more and more shit to make sure they're copyright distinct. Here, have a skull on top of the other skull.

>Pull them off of those shitty square bases and put them on proper round skrimish basings

Oh god no, I intend on keeping them ranked up in combat. There isn't really much reason for me not to, seeing as it is their job to slowly grind things to death and hold the line. Just because I can skirmish, it doesn't mean I have to, Dwarfs still largely benefit from staying in formation.
I don't expect anyone to cry "unfair!" since they only have 1" attack range, and even if they were on 25mm rounds they would still get in the same amount of attacks.

I started that unit before the End Times wrapped up, then put it off and put it off until I finally finished them a few weeks ago, and I figured since I have one unit on square bases, I may as well make all of my Dwarfs on square bases.

Sylvaneth stuff, and most likely my old Wood Elves will all be round however.

I think those guys are not even Warhammer, they are generic fantasy.

No way. If it was unpainted i could tell they arent interested in the painting aspect of the hobby and accept it. When someone sprays one colour its just a shitty attempt to hide that they are lazy fucks.

That's not the point, they're GW models. Look at their other plastics from the time.

I've never considered if Heroquest was set in the Warhammer World though, other GW-MB games like Battle Masters were though, and of course Space Crusade was set in the 40k universe. It did have Fimir and Chaos magic.

Monopose means people only need one set

One of these boxes would be brilliant for Frostgrave

I know someone who has those and does use them in Frostgrave.

Not like busy is something new in GW.

It's funny that in the old days their art was busy and minis war plain, now that the models are busy the art is plain.

Well, it's a matter of taste. Nothing wrong with that. I personally like a compromise somewhere in the middle, such as pic.

that was the nail in the coffin for me with GW
>20 cadians £15.00
>20 cadians £18.00
>10 cadians £18.30

>49371384
People buy pre painted minis and the amount of people I've met who say they have/do play warhammer but the painting and building is the worst part makes me think that conversions are hardly a major selling point.

>Pull them off of those shitty square bases and put them on proper round skrimish basings.

tfw stocked up on cheap ebay black reach marines before they became completely unavailable.

missed out on the terminators though fuark

Heroquest isn't explicitly WHFB, but it is. The gargoyle is clearly a cheap plastic version of the then current Bloodthirster, it has Chaos Warriors, and it has Fimirs in it.

Disagree on the models being great though. They are good for board game pieces.

GW isn't a stranger to releasing boxes that cripple individual box sales. Is there ANY reason to ever buy an individual carnosaur now?

The only thing that GW had over pretty much any other model range was the ease of mixing and matching parts to customise your guys and they've thrown that away over the last 3-4 years.

>This is just all the result of surveys conducted
>GW
>market research

But they looks much better than Warhammer,

There should be plenty of dark vengeance termis available though. Also dirt cheap.

Start Collecting boxes aren't really permanent things. They can drop them and make new ones any time, since they're just a collection of existing kits. A whole new sprue requires a whole lot more resources.

>Hell, you'd think it'd boost their sales because they'd still need that original to put all those bits on them.
You don't really need the originals if you use 3rd party model bits anymore. Although full resin models will be more expensive.
Still, with a bunch of legs, torsos and heads from 3rd party suppliers you could use all the weapon options from a kit and get a unique looks to your troops as well; works particularly well for orks and chaos marines, which is likely why 3rd party producers make mostly those.

I just imagined what would it look like if other companies had the same policy.
Corvus Belli in particular. They sometimes do really stupid poses.

Look up the new Conan boardgame

You gonna love that

My nigger.

I only use Evil Craft chaos space marines and the Dark Vengeance chosen bought off of ebay for almost nothing.

GW can go fuck itself

I'm not talking about complete 3rd party models, only bits. Claim was that GW is making models less convertible to stifle 3rd party bits sales to go with their models.

Elf's going to lose a body point hard if he doesn't turn around.

A bit late to the party, but allow me to explain.

GW is actually going back to making proper miniatures.
The problem with multipart kits is that 95% of autistic tryhard neckbeards can't build a multipart model without it looking like a slack GI Joe toy.

A monopose miniature can look more natural, more like what it's supposed to be rather than a spastic rag doll.

That's the real reason.

If that was the real reason, so many of the monopose models wouldn't look so awkward and unnatural too.

So the real reason is that GW doesnt trust their own fanbase to make their miniatures good looking?

How the fuck does that favor them? THey only need to make great looking multipart miniatures, not care about what buyers do with those kits.

And their single pose models still look unnatural and cartoony. Most are shit.

Round bases look Aesthetically better.

Just make movement trays anyway.

where is that neat lil mini from??