What did they mean by this?

So, when Wizards posted their august 5e survey, they've dropped info that went largely unnoticed in Veeky Forums - basically, pic related.
So, major rules expansion - the first one. Which means that adding new subclasses like they did in SCAG, chase mechanics or whatever from DMG or (god forbid) adventure paths do not count - they want to release something much bigger, not just a compilation from their Unearthed Arcanas.

So, I have two questions for you - first, what do you want it to be? Second, what do you think it's going to be?

All I know is I don't want it to be.

Every single edition of D&D has died because of rules bloat and endless splat books. Every single one. They still seem set on making the same mistame which is a damn shame.

Two years in and we've had what, 3 official subclasses and one book which is mostly fluff? I'm fine with this. And, fifth edition won't last forever, obviously. Besides, there's plenty of homebrew rules bloat already. This will just expand stuff for adventurers league. Part of the problem was that whenever an adventure designer wanted a boss to do something specific, he had to write a new spell which PCs could have access to. Spells are easier to write than classes. Keep the level of content roughly on par for each class and there isn't as much of a problem

Every single edition has died because people get tired of it and Wizards of the Coast has to make new material to sell.

Literally every supplement is optional and you don't have to, nor are you supposed to use everything from all of them.
Rules supplements like Unearthed Arcana are just full of optional rules and tweaks you can slot in if you feel like it

Variant rules and subsystems, Mearls has teased a new system for traps for example.

this is fair but they seem to not want to add new classes and just add archetypes. the only classes I expect to see in this are psionics and the new ranger, M and several new archetypes (barbarian needs one, Druid desperately needs one, sorcerer needs plenty). I don't think we will see new classes, psionic aside, until we get setting specific stuff, like for eberron.

I just want warlords. Proper warlords, not the mockery that is Purple Dragon Knight, and for that they'll need to be their own class.

>this has been announced more than once
>it'/ discussed every day in /5eg/
>unnoticed by Veeky Forums
It at a minimum will have the Mystic, and probably the revised Ranger.

I think it will be a generic "there are the other settings" book with a variety of races and classes for those settings.

(me)
I want more modular options
>feats
>fighting styles
>metamagic
>invocations

Just new class features in general, focusing on more specific styles of game or on interesting utility.

I want a book full of optional rules for when the core rules are too simplistic.
So I can expand what I want to, and keep simple the things I don't want to.

New/variant class archetypes

Rules for magic item creation that make crafting one a big journey in of itself.

Yea, I think feats and invocations aren't as needed because there's a lot of options there and usually there is a choice, but metamagic and fighting styles are barely choices at all. Fighting style may be intended to be so, just a bonus to a specific fighting style so if you're an archer you're not meant to choose between 2-3 different ones that you may find useful, but viable metamagic options are so needed.

>All I know is I don't want it to be.

Same here. I like the current level of rules content. I don't feel like a hamster on an endless crunchy wheel forever trying to keep up with new splatbooks.

There are enough third-party, amateur and homebrewed rules out there for anyone who wants them.

people like you are what ruined 3rd ed

>Implying 3rd ed wasn't already a sack of shit on the onset.

There's a reason why nobody likes 3aboos.

Third edition was dead on arrival.

I don't think they died because of bloat that made people stop caring. I thought they died because they ran out of things to right about.

Totally wrong. D&D is a business to Wizards. Not a hobby. Just as it was a business ever since Gary Gygax parted ways with TSR. He's probably the last guy to be majorly involved who saw it as something else. What kills editions is the fine folk at Wizards saying, "Hey, we can make more money with a new one."

Cute. You clowns don't remember the state of the hobby before 3rd ed, do you?

>You clowns don't remember the state of the hobby before 3rd ed, do you?
What was it even like?

I thought you got banned?

Oh wait...it's Friday so the three day ban would've worn off...shit.

Oh well, time for another long winded speech about how D&D was the best game ever because it was popular.

>I think it will be a generic "there are the other settings" book
That'd be pretty good.

Feats and at least one fighting style are almost guaranteed.

>So, I have two questions for you - first, what do you want it to be?
Something that fixes the long-term class balance.
>Second, what do you think it's going to be?
3.X splatbook bullshit and retardation like the Ranger ''''fix'''' they put out before.
>2d6 Hit Dice
>17th level Rogue feature at level 1

>metamagic

Just play a sorcerer.

That's not the current Ranger fix. They actually listened to feedback. Wizards of the Coast is not the same company that it once was.

>Wizards of the Coast is not the same company that it once was.
It's more that the current D&D team is good, rather than WotC in itself; though WotC does give them and the M:tG guys a lot of autonomy, which is pretty great regardless.

So long as they know what they're doing, anyways. I'm not big into Magic and judging from Veeky Forums threads there's constant outrage over something or another...but then again, that's probably just Veeky Forums.

He means more metamagic options.

What could they possibly add that doesn't end up becoming broken ass garbage?

Casters are always broken as fuck. I'm happy with they way they are they don't need anything