I'm trying to come up with some new schools of magic

I'm trying to come up with some new schools of magic.

Any ideas or things you've seen used in the past that you thought were cool but underused. Or maybe a new way of casting magic.

Something like noise magic, or rage bending.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.erfworld.com/Magic#Basics_of_Magic
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Momentum based magic, such as reducing the force of hits or increasing the speed of the PC

Necromancy using oil I've seen on Veeky Forums before

nothing new, but im quite fond of "the will and the word" as seen in the belgariad books.

Well, what schools do you have already? Coming up with stuff in a void is hard, it's easier with some kind of building block.

Is Fireball from the School of Fire Thermal? Destruction? Material? Rage? Purification?
How granular or conceptual are these Schools anyway?

Work out what exactly it is you want, because once you've done that you can already see the end result.

Offensive transmutation spells. Cones, beams, etc, that transmutes their targets into different forms. Like petrification, but instead of turning something into stone, they turn the affected flesh/whatever into a crystalline solid, liquid, gas, or whatever without changing what it actually is.

Typhomancy: Smoke magic
you could poison people
make dramatic entrances/exits
You could get people high
Escape work/school via fire alarm
send signals to far away peoples
be a roadie for a band
do vape smoke tricks
Make the smoke look a ship and sail through douche's smoke rings
become a fumigator
fuck with smokers

My school of magic would be Typhomancy for all the above reasons and more.

Got you

If someone gets mad you could piss them off more by making smoke come out of their ears

My writefag friend came up with a few ideas for magic his new setting to write stuff in, I helped him define them some more and we got something like this:

Magical talent is a thing, but talent alone only allows for the quick and dirty method of doing magic, which is fueling it with your emotions.
Any emotions will do, they're not specifically tied to an effect a mage might want to produce. So a lot of people with magical talent lead hedonistic, dangerous and weird lifestyles: circus artists, burglars, spies, mercenaries. Also self-harm, also visiting breathtaking places, whatever really. Any powerful emotion will do so it becomes a matter of mage's skill to find a way of invoking emotions in a way as safe and enjoyable for him as possible.

Visiting various places that hold emotions of many people works too, like battlefields and suicide bridges and first settlements and famous haunted houses.

Other than that, it's a simple matter of wishing for something and creating the effect, much like "the will and the word" mentioned above (just googled it).

If you need to concetrate on your work but want to load up no magic, create talismans. For that you'll have to experience a emotional burst and quickly force the effect into the item. Like, look at the photo in the medallion which belonged to a woman who broke your heart. Go through all of the painful memories, harness your anger, and in the right moment quickly imagine a spell. They will last for a few uses only but it can be helpful when you need some emotional stability for whatever job you might need to do.

There are other methods of doing magic but this is the most significant I think. Retrospectively, I think I was thinking about Unknown Armies when fleshing it out.

A system of magic based entirely around words and runes make it complex enough to allow literally any affect to come into being because of it. Just try to avoid the B.S. in The Warded Man.

That's a shitton of typos I made. Gotta drink some more sorry folks,

I like the idea of very simple basic schools leading into more powerful. Like Dustomancy leading into necromancy because dust is mostly dead skin

Wouldn't necromancy lead to dustomancy, since control over dust, does not necessarily mean control over the dead, but the opposite will be true?

Take a look at the magic of erfworld:
> wiki.erfworld.com/Magic#Basics_of_Magic

Some schools are just renamed versions of the usual eight, others are pun-based to fill in a punchline, but I think there's some interesting concepts in there.

Well logically yeah, but why would you build into dustomancy from necromancy? I was thinking that maybe dustomancy would be an early skill in a magic school, and a cult would take note of the kids who were proficient in it and recruit them for the necromancy cult.

-You heard of the wonders and miracles I made, right? Your curiosity is most peculiar. I ask you only one question, did you come for my services or to become my apprentice?
-I came here to learn.
-Good, good. My first lesson is that our perception of reality dictates how we can interact with this world and more importantly allows us to interact with things of transmundane nature. Do you remember your dreams?
-I always felt enraptured by them. There is beauty in dreams, I always felt them to be a place of comfort for me, I always tried to remember my every dream.
- Good. You will fit right in, if you don't go insane of course. Dreams are nothing less and nothing more than our minds perception of things transmundane. Most people's minds are not attuned to see things of transmundane nature while awake, thus they cannot interact with it fully. Their only way of doing that is to Dream, but even there most men and women are not able to exercise their will there, they can only watch.
- Wait, does this mean that all people are sorcerers? Every person dreams, after all
- Did you listen to what I just said? No, most people lack awareness and will to partake in our arts. To be able to interact with things beyond our normal imagination. This is why results of our craft are sometimes maddening to normal men, dreams may seem peaceful and beautiful when we sleep, but awake many turn out to be stories of maddening horror. The second lesson can't be expressed with words, for it is a practical one, give me this pipe, elders smoke first.
- Yes, master.

Please, o wise man, continue

ZA PAPPA

What about void magic?

As Master smoked, there started to begin a strange feeling in the air, as if madness started to slowly seep into the room, yet nothing visible was actually happening.
- Now it is your turn.
- Yes, master.
For the apprentice reality ceased to exist for a brief moment. There was no longer any difference between sound, sight, feeling of temperature and thought. It seemed like an eternity has passed, until he "heard" a voice.
- Good, good. What is your name? Who are you?
As our apprentice started to be again aware of reality, he started to remember who he is again.
- My name is Alexander. I am your apprentice.
- Most people after this ceremony are unable to posses even slight awareness of the mundane, they lose all form of lucidity. Now stand up, bring me that teapot, water in it is already boiling
Every step for Alexander was hard as if it was his childhood. His perception always shifted between the regular reality and unreality. Yet he felt strangely calm when looking at his newfound teacher, who somehow managed to persist the same no matter how much he slipped into unreality. Perception of time was strangely slown down, every step took eternity. But alas, he managed to bring the teapot with boiling water.
- Here...here it is...
- You maintained enough self control to not get lost in the dreamworld and be able to still exist in regular reality. Now, look at me, stare into my eyes and do not pay attention to anything else.
As Alexander looked into his teachers eyes, reality around him started to shift, yet he couldn't notice that. Yet, suddenly he felt being thrown into cold water. Alexander realised that he was swimming in chill waters of unknown lake.

No, momentum is OP, literally the golden rule for making "powers" is never allow a power to freely manipulate time, gravity, spacial distances, velocity, momentum, mass, or size.

all magic is powered directly by dreams

Some less cancerous magical traditions are:

Astrology: you look at the stars and calculate results.
Alchemy & Herbalism: you put A and B together and obtain C.
Rune Magic: you engrave runes and then you get results.
Ars Goetia: you ask a devil to do shit and then it does shit
Ars Theurgy: you ask an angel to do shit and then it does shit
Necromantia: you ask a dead guy to do shit and then it does shit
Consensus Reality Manipulation: you can a bunch of people into believing stuff and then it becomes real

Basically, that was already idea of the writefag above(aka me), but I didn't finish it. Basically dreams are the source of magic, you can deal with others memories, communicate with spirits and visit dreamworlds using dreams. However if you want to actually affect more material things, you need to get high as fuck or be incredibly enlightened, but the end result is hardly predictable and often times results in a lot of fucked up shit, if you are not careful, because dreamworlds seem peaceful and good only to those dreaming, while awake it may turn out that in things happening there are incredibly fucked up from the waking world perspective. This means that all people who practice magics are questionable morality(aka many end up as such sick fucks, that Slaanesh would be fucking disgusted). Basically it is kinda like Warp, except the only thing separating it from waking world is inability of regular humans to perceive it under normal conditions, there is no barrier between dreamworld and reality outside of limits of human perception.

>all magic is
This is very limiting and a fantasy setting should never be that.
I prefer instead to only ever talk about specific types of "magic" (supernatural powers) such as super-science, martial-arts ki powers, psionics and druidism.

whatever the fuck some of these in pic related are

also

>meme wizards
As in the scientific meaning of the word, think shit like basilisk hacks for attacks. Would be great wizard lords with the whole mass population mind control thing

Your mom.

Unsounded has a really cool magic system.

Essentially you steal aspects of other things and use them as spells.

Like the sharpness of a sword to cut shit or the loudness of a barking dog to amplify your own voice.

Empathy magic: magic based solely on the power of emotions. The more powerful an individuals emotions, or the greater the amount of individuals surrounding the caster, the more powerful the effects are.

Fate-spinning, or the magic of nudging probabilistic outcomes. Very obvious to the player, subtle to the point of imperceptible in-universe. Since the beneficiaries (or victims) of such magic see only the actualized outcome, they have no means of proving it's effectiveness without statistical analysis of controlled experiments.