Showing gf 40K

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm about to show my gf Warhammer 40k for the first time . How can I make it really intresting for her?

Any ideas ?

>inb4 you don't have a gf

Show her some macho men and lady girls. Tau are also favored among the females of the species.

Women don't really like miniature wargaming. When H.G. Wells was playing Little Wars he even talked about how women didn't understand it.

Just show her your well painted models. Trying to get her in to it this early will come off as pandering to her needs which she will hate.

Also she is probs going to laughave at you with her friends if you suck at painting.

Does she like other Veeky Forums shit atleast?

She's gonna vomit from that shit paint scheme.

Also, just show it to her and explain what it is. Don't try and force anything, if she's interested she'll show it, if not oh well.

at least she's not the laughing type

she's into pen & paper

I'm to forcing her. It's just a passion of mine, which I would like to share with her. I already explained to her that if she doesn't like it, thats no problem.

*not

He also has nids, allegedly a very popular army with women

3 big points are it being a game you play with your friends, the art/modelling aspect, and the cool universe and lore.

If she likes sci-fi and shit, tell her/ask if she knows about the world first.
If she likes being creative, show her the modelling stuff.
If she likes hanging out with you and your friends, you get the picture

Show her a decently painted army first

That's a good idea! Thanks!

>at least she's not the laughing type
Already seen your dick then has she?

If she is into pen & paper RPGs, I doubt tabletop wargames are really going to phase her.
Nids also seem to be popular with women for some reason as well.

Best not to spring a massive collection on her, it will look strange to people with no idea of the hobby. Test the waters by telling her about this interesting miniature kit you'd like to try assembling, see how she reacts. When introducing it focus on the hobby aspect. Theoretically could play games with them too, but you really like assembling and painting them.

You don't want to come across as a man child who is obsessed with little plastic toys. You want to be the mature dude who has a quirky hobby.

If she doesn't seem interested, drop the subject and go on with life as if you never brought it up. Eventually she will find out about your minis if you're still together, which you can explain away by saying you've been putting them together since then. You didn't tell her about it because she didn't seem interested.

If she is interested, show her a sprue. Then show it to her again once it's assembled and painted. Most people will be impressed at what it takes to get a mini even just to tabletop ready status. That way she'll have more of an understanding of what the hobby is like, if you're lucky she'll even be interested in trying to assemble something and paint it herself.

The trick is to ease her into the concept of what we do instead of springing it all at once.

I am a married man who got his wife to tolerate his plastic addiction, so you can do it too. The fact you have a gf shows you can at least temporarily control the autism lurking in you.

And avoid other neckbeards like the plague for now, you don't want her to associate you with that sort of character.

Can you give her my number since she's about to be single?

>Tau,nids,and Eldar

I understand Tau or Eldar.

but nids always puzzled me they are a bug race that nom on the guts of people brutally and EAT EVERYTHING

Commonlaw with my gf. We have an understanding. I don't say anything about her new clothes/shoe purchases and she doesn't say anything when i get a new kit. Carcassonne is about how heavy she can get into tabletop.

>nom on the guts of people brutally and EAT EVERYTHING
Just like babies. See, there's the connection to women.

Maybe I'm dumb or something but why would you even want your GF involved in wargaming.She more than likely won't like it and will either not be interested or only fake her interest out of devotion.

Anyway, I like having wargaming be my thing. Popping down the club and having a break. I imagine it would be like going golfing and everyone brings their wives.

Women can relate to an incomprehensible overmind controlling a relentless tide of ruin-your-day bullshit.

Also, pets.

>Brood Mother
>Norn Queen
>Dominatrix
>Harridan
>Hierodule
>Harpy
>Hive Crone
Tyranids have a stronger female presence than any other army, SoBs aside.

I tried this.
It can only end badly. Either she doesn't like it and you come off that much stranger in her eyes or she does (purely theoretical, highly improbable) and then she'll slowly suck the fun out of your hobby.

the rulebook. it has a great fluff intro to the world. you mentioned she likes pen&paper, so there you go.

Tentacles

Show her that LSSAH armoured car on the right. That'll woo her.

Tell her you "build and paint models as a hobby, it helps relieve stress".
"There's a background and a bunch of books that go with it but it's whatever."

Then leave it at that.

I've made a few girls call me Lord Commander when we bang. The day I got my red wings was the day I fell to the Red Thirst.

>All these anons who are scared of showing their girlfriend their hobbies

I don't even understand this mindset. If she thinks you're awesome you'll still be awesome after. It's not like you're saying, "hey girl, by the way I love Hitler/Stalin. Gas the kikes/bankers, race/class war now!"

Just be confident (jus b urself) and you should be fine. Chances are she has already realized you are a nerd. If you are very much the opposite of a stereotypical nerd, then one hobby won't be enough to overturn that.

tl;dr grow some balls and just do whatever, OP.

I would recommend, "Hey, I haven't mentioned this before but one of my hobbies is painting sci-fi miniatures. I just finished painting some models, would you like to see?" If the answer is "no" that's okay. If the answer is "no, you should sell them and buy a mini-van" then dump her.

So you show her the fluff, not the models. Does play and paper because of the minis? No? Well then what the fuck are you doing showing the models first?

They want to fug the tentacle monsters.

I got my girlfriend to roleplay as an eldar farseerer while I acted as a space marine scout sergeant we both lost our soldiers and I decided to punish.

>She even said Mon'Keigh

If I play tyranids, paint them well, and take care of them, will it help me pick up girls?

>space marines
>fucking anything
>esspecially filthy xeno witches

I wouldn't make a big deal out if it. Just have it on display wherever you have it on display and let her ask about it. If shes curious she will ask, if their skillfully done she will be impressed, (decent) girlfriends will atleast appreciate your passion for a hobby.

My partner is quite arts/crafty herself, she found one of my old models and she commented on the paintjob and asked why I didnt do it anymore.

Be chill brah.

I second this.

Just have them out or something. She can ask about it. Painting is a good way to get someone into the hobby too.

If you do a demo game, you better have a good handle on the rules.

Women can like this hobby, they might even be in this thread right now

My partner loves Alien. The house is covered in xenomorph swag.

So under-rated. The one other guy in this thread who isn't single.

>do you love me?
>For the Emperor.
that got sadder than I was expecting

My gf doesn't like Nids, but is one of the only women I've met that doesn't. I knew a couple who rocked 2000pts of Space Wolves and 2000pts of Nids.

We've started painting models together and soon she's going to get some of her own She only wants AOS models though.

Duh, all women secretly want to be/are anorexic, so bugs that eat everything are an escapist fantasy.

ayyyylmao

this guy knows whats for real

See what aspect she's interested in. Mine doesn't care for the actual game, but she's happy to poke her head into the modelling and painting side to help me out with what looks good/needs touching up/etc.

Even then, don't be pushy with anything. Nothing turns people off faster than someone really trying to get them to like something. At most play a quick and simple game so she can get an idea of how it works and whether she's interested in continuing. Real GW store demo game level, and stack the scenario in her favour a little. Being shown an unfamiliar game and then being pasted by your vastly more experienced partner has a pretty good chance of turning people off it.

yes

I can appreciate that.

It's what makes or breaks ork models for me too, if they hit just the right balance of ugly, clunky, cluttered and clean, to much of one and you get Kromleck/Warpath orks.

normie wife finds my nerd hobbies amazing. like "wow you painted all those tiny army men?". the gaming aspects of it are totally confusing to her but she likes that i do something that takes skill and isnt drinking vodka. to the point where she doesn't flip out if i come home with a new airbrush or more tanks.

but i play historicals so maybe its different? in any case i didn't thrust it in her face when we were dating. she happened to see my mustachiod hungarian infantry painted up on my desk and thought it was cool. then bit by bit as time went on she found more stuff and didn't run a mile.

ease it in gently OP. just like all good things in life.

Is that a San Fransisco 49ers themed Nid army?

I was thinking it was Aku themed.

Screw the guys telling you it's a bad idea, they either never had a gf or never had a decent gf.
My gf first thought me a fool for spending crazy amounts of money on little army men and I didn't try to make it appeal to her but joked about it as well.

Later down the road I asked her if she wanted to try to paint some minis and she really liked doing it. Tried playing it with her but that was not as successful.

Now I intend to make a really neat little ork army (she likes da orks the best) for killteam and than try playing it with her again. She liked the concept of the core game by thought it too rule heavy.

On a side note we play most tg together.

They're pets.

This

All those army looks like garbage preschool army.
Also, never ever paint tyranid in gold fucking moron, that's about the worst thing you could do.

Gf bought 2500 points of wood elves and sylvaneth. Have fun

nope...

What?

>hey girl, whaddaya say we head back to my place and I'll show you my distraction carnifex
Nope.

Dicking and eating out a bleeder.

user I have a wife and have a retarded number of models all painted up. Does she play 40k or have any interest in the fluff? No. Does she love seeing me happy doing something I enjoy to make something that is actually is quite pretty? Yes. I have a whole case of the things on display in my living room. People who don't know me may think I'm eccentric, but I'm long past the point of caring.

The other guy who said 'keep the autism under control' is sort of right! To my wife, it's just something I do. What is funny is that girlfriends of hers come over and say 'oh hey you paint little soldiers, so does my partner/bf/husband' and before you know it you make a new mate who runs a beautifully painted green tide list.

>UN 40k models
I cannot believe you have a gf

What did you do to that Brummbär?!

But was she a bimbo?

Gonna try these next time

you can't. take her to dinner and just call it your dork hobby. they accept us that way. no need to full on autism.

I've equally found women tend to find Tyranids appealing. I think it is because the vast majority of armies in 40k are designed to appeal to men,well teenage boys to be precise.

Tyranids on the other hand are pretty much genderless and so become more appealing to women as a result.

You can't make it really interesting for her, she has to choose it for herself. She has to be into the lore, enjoy modeling, enjoy painting, and enjoy (comparatively to other options) excruciatingly difficult tactical strategy games.

That being said, five years ago my gf said she will never play 40k, and now we've played two or three games together. You've gotta make the game approachable and interesting for her, never get mad or get lost in aggressive win-at-all-costs strategies because it's very easy to pound newbies into the dust so hard they'll never come back. I'm not saying let her win, I'm saying uh, enjoy some fluffier lists against her.

Actually bother to forge a narrative and deliver the 40k experience the way GW wishes it actually worked.

>excruciatingly difficult tactical strategy games.

Wew

Do what this guy says. I do the same albeit i have ww2 historicals on display

Same experience, tons of guys i know pick up models and express that they are cool and whatnot.

yeah,fantasy is a lot more consistent when it comes to aesthetic

Thinking about it now, there is no army that looks bad, everything can be turned into the glorious shieldwall of lined up warriors with banners above them

and im not talking about AoS of course

>gf

Hahaha

Would a man ever belittle his female partner for her quirky hobby?

Don't really think so. Why is this such a point of insecurity for you guys?

I don't hide my minis and have them on display in my living room and I had several girls still wanting to have sex with me after they saw them. If a girl laughed at me for that ehh she's probably a bad person anyways.

>Why is this such a point of insecurity for you guys?
Because woman do belittle their male partners for quirky hobbies.

>Women don't really like miniature wargaming.

Exactly. But they might like the painting itself.

This.

My gf does not care about silly plastic men on my shelfs. She is, however, glad that i have all sorts of hobby related tools and different kinds of glue always at hand.
I asked her like twice if she wants to try and paint something (she liked pics of necrons) but her answer always was
>nah, i'm not patient enough for stuff like this

I think she might be afraid that her results would suck or that she does something wrong and i would blame her afterwards or something similar which only makes sense in the head of a women.

But whatever, she isn't negative about it (probably because she doesn't know how much i spend on it) and everything is fine.

if she has no idea about your hobby and with what you spend your spare time then just tell her you are modeling/painting when she asks you the next time about your plans for the evening/next weekend/tomorrow

That is vague enough so she has to ask "what" you are painting/modeling and then you show her a pic of your newest model.
That way she won't get scared by a room full of minis and if she is interested then she might ask further questions. If not, she will be fine with it and ignore your hobby. If she is opposed to a single mini, you can dump her right away.

This.

If she likes Pen/Paper its almost a win there. There is a fucking 40k Pen/Paper game after all.

>All those army looks like garbage preschool army.

For you.

For someone completely unrelated to the hobby a simple 3 color paintjob is still looking good simply because she has no images of golden demon winning minis in her head to compare it to.

This is some psychopathic shit dude... I am scared that there are people like you out there.

This is how you creep a girl out.
I'm an ultra nerd and have a hot as fuck GF, OP just don't be mega autistic about it TO her. Unless you just want to fuck her for a while and don't care. Building you relationship on advice like this faggot is more likely to lead to her getting creept out when she finds you larger collection. Just don't be a faggot.

Men josh and joke with their friends over likes and dislikes, and in that case we know it's not taken seriously, it's just playful banter.

But it doesn't seem that way for women - they're at least stereotypically known for backhanded compliments and talking about people behind their back. They'll judge more than a guy would judge.

>How can I make it really interesting for her
try grabbing a couple of your more distinctive figurines and making them talk to each other in really high pitched voices. Maybe make them kiss at the end of the game

Well I described the Blood Angels Black Rage to my female friend the other day and she said it was "metal as fuck" so that's a positive.

But senpai,

I'M the one with 2500pts of Wood Elves

But there are limits. Painting something that looks explicitly organic a metallic colour just looks...So off.

There are many things in nature.

Tell her about the Tau, Necrons, both Eldar, and Tyranids.

Most women don't care about the Imperium or Chaos, and its more likely to turn them off to the setting.

>I'm an ultra nerd and have a hot as fuck GF
I am an average nerd and never had a GF, and never will.
F*** you...

>F***

And I can see why.

FUCKING NORMIES ITT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What's psychopathic about it? Seems pretty sensible to me. Obviously a lot depends on the way you do it, if you're a bad liar or that sort of thing doesn't come naturally to you, you probably shouldn't do it exactly like that.

Like this guy says too, take it slow and ease it in gently. Maybe just don't lie as much as the first guy recommends.

My girlfriend's favourite colour is red, she likes vampires, and she likes head to head games. It wasn't a far reach for her. Shes got about 500 points of Blood Angels now. You just have to relate it to other things she likes.