So how can a modern society handle Terraria style evil biomes like the Corruption or Crimson...

So how can a modern society handle Terraria style evil biomes like the Corruption or Crimson? Could they keep it from spreading? What kind of equipment would soldiers sent to said biomes be given?

Assuming this is a mostly ordinary world save for those biomes.

Other urls found in this thread:

somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/
somethingawful.com/daily-dirt/instruction-for-america/1/
terraria.gamepedia.com/Lunatic_Cultist
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

I don't play terrania, what exactly are the corruption or crimson?

They are biomes that spread around. Corruption is dark and spooky and lifeless and the Crimson is all blood and gore. Basically imagine being in a field of grass and butterflies and sh it and then you get to a small patch of weird blood red dirt. You ignore it and go home. The next day you walk by it and the red dirt has grown to footballs size and weird flesh has grown around it, with teeth and eyeballs, and weird fleshy monsters are crawling out the ground, and you can see that the red is growing more and more.

Keep human soldiers out. Break out the agent orange and napalm, carpet-bomb the entire place into toxic cinders.

Depending on the scale of the biomes, atomic weapons may also prove useful.

Chaotic blights that spread through almost everything, including subterranean soil, until they run up against equally chaotic "hallowed" ground. Each (including the hallow) brings a host of horrifying murder creatures.

The only real countermeasure to the spread is to completely quarantine it inside thick walls of neutral materials.

>quarantine
>not dynamite

In Terraria, it's better to just quarantine it because you need it for certain drops.

IRL it would be a different story, just bomb it. Unless this includes the Hallow...then in that cause, quarantine the Hallow to farm greater healing potions, kill the evil.

Considering that little hand held bombs work to hold back or destroy those biomes in terraria... yes. I imagine we could.

Well that works with surface Corruption or Crimson, underground would be harder because we need more time to mine. So it depends on how fast it would spread underground.

>underground would be harder because we need more time to mine

Bypass "mining" to place bombs by using really big bombs on the surface capable of excavating a crater to the underground Corruption and vaporizing it in a single blast.

That might work, but you would need to completely obliterate every last shard of the Crimson and Corruption.

In theory if there's even one little rock left it will just grow back.

And in Terraria, that's one 2x2 foot block. In the real world, that might very well be a single point of dust. You can't get rid of the Corruption or Crimson with normal explosives. You'd need antimatter to make sure it was GONE.

This.

Our best bet would be to contain it, which would mean we would have a heavy demand in miners and clay to block the spread of the Corruption and Crimson.

Keep in mind in game those murder monsters tend to not wander out of their biomes, so it would be like a bees nest.

Purification Powder also works to swiftly obliterate corruption/Crimson.

But we don't have purification powder.

I guess we can loot some magic from the Corruption and Crimson to try and make some, but it would be like trying to learn holy magic by starting with unholy magic.

Someone's gotta be the first fucker to look at a cow's udder and think, "I'm totally gonna drink the first thing that comes out of that".

Well yes, but I'm just saying it would be a bitch to do so without hallow.

Come to think of it, would any of the Crimson or Corruption drops be good enough to justify sending in soldiers to get said loot?

ha ha, thats a great meme but they definitely saw calves drinking from them first. there was a demonstration of some sort of effectiveness.

a better comparison would be about how you make antivenom from the venom itself. consider the idea of reverse engineering the crimson

If one twat with a pick can get down there, we can. Plus we just need to keep drilling, putting explosives down, drill into the new hole, put explosives down THAT hole and so on.

Unless we say that the Terraria guy is some superhuman being from the outset, they're just a dude with good equipment.

But the Terraria guy can drill to the center of the earth with nothing but a Iron Pick. Without slowing down. He's clearly not a normal human.

That and hammer space pockets. You need somewhere to put all the dirt and shit you would encounter, soldiers to fend off the monsters trying to eat your face, and money to pay for all this shit.

They'd build concrete and wooden walls that extend into the ground exactly one foot, and that'd be that.

Unless you're talking about Hardmode Corrimson, in which case they build *really* thick walls that extend exactly one foot into the ground and hope it doesn't reach an aquifer or something.

You'd still need to worry about cultist and other organizations that would try to spread it.

You mean like the cultists that want to spread the Crimruption in Terraria? The ones that very obviously don't exist? The ones that wouldn't exist in a realistic setting because that's a fucking *retarded* idea for a group of people to rally behind?

Best case scenario, you get ISIS dropping a few dozen evil seeds in lawns across the country and people are forced to pour herbicide on their lawns when they wake up the next morning and find their grass is all icky and purple/red. Worst case scenario, ISIS does that in the middle of a forest preserve and a few volunteers go in with guns and gasoline to burn the afflicted plants and animals down. Absolute "holy shit fuck" scenario, they have to do the same thing but pay for a construction crew to dig up and cart away a bunch of Crimrrupted sand and stone.

The Corruption/Crimson isn't nearly as dangerous as you insist it is. There are clear, very obvious limitations to it spreading, and there isn't even any massive world-destroying monster that defends every last inch of it at all times like you'd find in most other "green apocalypse" stories.

>You mean like the cultists that want to spread the Crimruption in Terraria? The ones that very obviously don't exist? The ones that wouldn't exist in a realistic setting because that's a fucking *retarded* idea for a group of people to rally behind?
You mean like the idea of people blowing themselves up in a crowded city center because of virgins they get in the afterlife?

There's a difference between "kill our sworn enemies to earn a top spot in heaven" and "hey guys let's spread this deadly invasive shit we somehow have, this god I just made up will totally reward us for it".

Ecoterrorist groups wouldn't bother with it. *Actual* terrorist groups may be interested in it, but it's easier and stealthier to use anthrax and AIDS. The modern military probably won't be interested in it, because this isn't Resident Evil.

Now, I like you. I like that you're interested in stories about creepy meat-spores taking over the countryside and forcing modern humans to retreat into bunkers. In fact, there's already a setting that covers it very well. Because I like you, I'll show you it, and you won't have to resort to making speculative fiction about an environmental hazard from a video game to sate your hunger.

somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/

When you're done with that, read this. It's a very good story, especially if you read it from both perspectives.
somethingawful.com/daily-dirt/instruction-for-america/1/

It has naturally growing guns and magic wands down there, but you could clear that out and bomb it after assuming the hearts won't respawn in the real life biomedical version

>Cultists that don't exist in Terraria

terraria.gamepedia.com/Lunatic_Cultist

Different object of worship. The Lunatic Cultist and his friends worship the moon, Celestial Pillars, and Moon Lord. It's not even known if the Corruption and Crimson are even *related* to the Moon Lord, let alone the rest of the bosses.

ur a knob

>What is Eye of Cthulhu.
>What is Brain of Cthulhu.
>What is the fact that Corruption is heavily based on a HP Lovecraft story and Moonlord is very obviously Cthulhu.

The Moon Lord's only relation to Cthulhu is his silly flagella-face. The fact that Moony's still got his eyes and his brain suggests that the Eye and Brain don't belong to him.

Terraria doesn't really have an overarching plot. The Corruption and Crimson are kinda just *there*, like the Underground Jungle and Hell. They exist as separate entities, and have no connection beyond you needing to beat certain bosses to unlock further content.

Developer straight up said that Moon Lord is basically Cthulhu's brother.

That's because the little eyes he has are called "True Eye of Cthulhu's".
He's either Cthulhu or he killed Cthulhu and took his eyes.

>Terraria doesn't have a plot

>I'm totally right though, you guys are wrong about the lore that I just said doesn't exist

Nice one.

Not him, but if I remember correctly then the Moon Lord is supposed to be the brother of Cthulhu.

Cthulhu is the giant corpse in the background of the Crimson.

My mistake, then. I don't follow Red on Twitter, so this is new information for me. That doesn't make Crimson-and-Corruption-worshipping cultists suddenly exist in Terraria, and it doesn't make it reasonable for them to *start* existing in a modern, realistic setting.

With the vast amount of people in the world it's not that hard to believe that some unstable individuals will begin pooing up to worship some new mutating horror virus thing. They won't spring up close enough to gather in groups, but scattered individuals would seek to spread it.

You grossly underestimate the depravity and frailty of the human mind.

If the Crimson is the corpse of a dead god, wouldn't the fact that it's spreading get some people to think he's still alive? If that kind of information was provable then Lunatic Cultist could start popping up.

>Hey Veeky Forums can you defeat *contrived situation that cannot be defeated*
>oh you can't? Look's like I win again!

t. OP, king of all faggots

How is the Crimruption impossible to defeat? It can be purified, so you can probably reverse engineer it to purify it. Especially if it comes with Hallow due to being hard mode.

This is the same argument that people *always* make to try and force unreasonable ideas into a realistic setting. Am I missing out on the existence of some cool Ebola cults right now?

Unless that's been confirmed by Red on Twitter, I wouldn't count that as canon. Beyond that, the OP didn't specify if an entire section of Crimson, Hearts and all, would be transplanted onto Earth or if a fresh growth would begin, in which case that mysterious mega-corpse most likely wouldn't even appear. Even if that *was* the case, what's going to make people assume that this is the corpse of a genuine Elder God and not just some big alien corpse or a particularly horrifying growth?

You're still a nigger

Why are you still talking, nigger? No one but you gives a shit about your little 2D minecraft clone.

>Even if that *was* the case, what's going to make people assume that this is the corpse of a genuine Elder God and not just some big alien corpse or a particularly horrifying growth?
Because it came with a unexplainable virus that's turning things into body horror monsters.

Not to mention, for some damn reason, if you break it's hearts you get guns. Even if they don't go "elder god" they'll think it's some form of god.

> Ebola: Liquifies your insides.

> The Crimson: Converts all plants and soil into new blood-themed horrors covered with eyes and teeth and spontaneously generates flying cockroach monsters and humanoid abominations with jaws the size of infants.

This.
Don't even get me started if someone makes Shadow or Crimson armor. Because one makes you faster despite wearing heavy armor, while the other makes you regenerate like fucking Wolverine.

The shit you can make with that stuff is insane.

Especially since people will make the connections between reality and the game. People will KNOW how to fuck things up with these materials, even if it takes experimentation to figure all the smaller details out. You know what you need to experiment to figure out what to do with them.

Come to think of it, does this include harvesting souls? Things can get fucked up when the Pope finds out this new terrorist group took souls to grow fucking angel or demon wings.

> Pope calls a new Crusade, using Hollow forged weapons.

This may actually be fun. Scary and horrifying for the first few years of purging, if I live that long, but fun nonetheless.

So the Pope is spreading the Hallow or...?

"So what're we worshipping?"
"Oh, just this really big dead thing that landed on some farm out in Illinois and turned the landscape into angry tumors before it was burned away by the National Guard."
"Good to know we've got some dogma down pat. What's it do?"
"If you spread the shit growing out of it all over your lawn, it turns red and starts growing big, toxic mushrooms. It can do the same thing if you put it on rocks or ice, too!"
"Well, shit! Sign me up! Praise be to the Almighty Cancer Fungus!"

The Pope calls a new Crusade using weapons forged from metals you can't get from either the Hallow or the Crimson, and imbued with souls you can't harvest without a special altar that doesn't grow naturally and can't be constructed. Brilliant idea!

Many people just want to serve a higher power.

[spoilers]And some glorious motherfuckers want to make things as METAL AS POSSIBLE.[/spoilers]

Can't you get Hallowed bars by killing the mecha bosses?

Okay 1, are you seriously suggesting farming mecha bosses?
You'd need some seriously heavy equipment for that.
2-A mecha boss doesn't give that much Hallowed bars anyway.

But on the other hand, said bars had to have come from SOMEWHERE, so you can probably craft them. There's no way to do it in Terraria, but if we can get our hands on some we can probably reverse engineer it with time.

Wouldn't that actually be pretty valid? You have hard physical proof that your god exist and still has power.

What does other religions have compared to that?