Western esoteric traditions

So I love the occult and want to learn more about it. Partly as inspiration for campaigns, partly to be enough by it. /x/ is okay with this stuff, but what does Veeky Forums know about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

juliusevola.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/3-julius-evola-introduction-to-magic.pdf
global-mind.org/results.html#alldata
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Playing D&D gets you into the best covens. At least that's what Jack Chick says.

For anyone interested, the mindandmagick YouTube channel is great for beginners.

Get "The Secret Teachings of all Ages" by Manly P. Hall. If you can't get enough of this guy, also get "Lectures on Ancient Philosophy". Then activate your pineal gland and contact the goddess.

Read this, OP.

juliusevola.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/3-julius-evola-introduction-to-magic.pdf

Any practitioners here?

Go to church and get a job hippy
and get a hair cut

What I do know is that every esoteric tradition inevitably starts to focus more and more on sex magic, usually around the time the founder starts getting older and less attractive.

The only occult topic I know about is meme magic

Praise Kek

If you want to get good at magic, just practice in front of a mirror (or even better, a video camera, so you can practice misdirection) and grind until you get it right.

If you want to be able to do the more finger-bending stuff, get a stress ball and use it while watching TV (or youtube, or torrented anime, or liveleaks, or whatever).

keeping your mind open is a good thing, but the danger lies in getting your head under water, if you lose ground contact you become one of those crazy people that go to fortune tellers and blame everything on the supernatural, even when a perfectly plausible mundane explanation is available.

The underlying principles of meme magic aren't all that different from what Hermeticists have been practicing for countless centuries.

The only difference is in terms of scale and individual commitment. In the old days, ritual magic was conducted by small numbers of sorcerers for whom magic was the defining aspect of their lives. Now magic is being practiced by huge numbers of largely uninitiated anons who spend a relatively small portion of their time memeing about Kek.

Check out Steiner, OP. Western esotericism at its finest.

Only one rule when dealing with the occult, chummer.

>huge numbers of largely uninitiated anons who spend a relatively small portion of their time memeing about Kek
You know what Stalin said about quantity and quality, right?

Praise Kek, for it is proper that we should praise him.

The parallels to Serial Experiments Lain are surprisingly high. Esoteric shit is neat.

Plato's "The Cave" isn't just a way to visualize his philosophical beliefs in reality. It's a guide on how to magic. Remember: Reality is an illusion! Grasp hold of that which casts the shadows on the cave wall, and you can create new shapes. Just get that lucid dreaming shit down so you can talk with your Daimon/Guardian Angel/Spirit and then key in the command words to change physics in your favor.

Simple.

Most practitioners avoid sex/masturbation to increase the power of their spells. I think you're just thinking about cult leaders.

He lies. Catholicism isn't nearly as exciting as he makes it out to be and despite playing D&D for ~15 years I have not yet managed to master a single IRL spell or be invited to any covens.

Is it possible to sue Jack Chick for false advertisement?

>lucid dreaming
>mfw everytime it ends up with something trying to kill me
Not only do I consciously hate myself, but I also subconsciously hate myself. It's great.

>>Remember: Reality is an illusion!
Except it isn't.

>browsing /x/ right now
>see this thread
Well, at least you're posting on a better board. I can't deal with those idiots typing one line snarky answers and pretending they aren't retarded.

Did you remember to stay sexually pure, abstaining from intercourse until the age of 30 or above?

you can't become a wizard unless you keep your semen for 30 years.

A lot of older traditions have a lot to do with sex, because sex and birth and shit were powerful scary forces. There's a reason why the Maiden Matron Crone trinity goddess is almost universal and found in most cultures

I have to study stuff like this in college
Shit's weird man

Self reflection is much easier that physical manifestation. Conversing with the inner self can enlighten you to your personal issues and solutions

another point. Birth rate is very important when the morality rates are very high.

Dude if you think waking reality is any more real than dreaming reality that's up to you. Literally the only difference is that you and me and all the people and trees and shit basically agree on waking reality, and you only have yourself to decide on reality when you're asleep.

That chair you're sitting on is 99.9% empty space. The colors you see are arbitrarily made up by your brain. Everything you're experiencing is your brain taking in information and making up an interpretation of it for you. There's nothing inherently real about it.

Everything you experience or think is real, those things just get categorized under different contexts. Something that happened in a dream or book or whatever is still something that happened. If unicorns did truly not exist, we wouldn't have the concept of unicorn.

/x is bottom of the barrel pop bullshit, read up on the mythologies of every civilization, not just the wikipedia summaries. Read primary sources or as close as possible to the actual story and what happens in it.

Mesopotamian/Sumerian cultures are good as the ur-myths behind a lot of established religions.

African and South American mythology is also a good source of what we usually associate with "occult", look into Southern voodoo/hoodoo for the modern evolutions of it

Also don't be afraid to read "fake" occultism like Lovecraft, Howard, Derleth, etc. Pulp fiction has borrowed so heavily and comingled with occultism that a large amount of common knowledge "occult" is complete fiction.

Except the part where food will only work in reality, and otherwise your escapist fantasy land dissolves as your body does.

There is only one eldritch entity you need to know about, only one magical tradition worth following.

>it's another 'your consciousness is generated by your brain' episode

That isn't true btw

That is a nice falsehood. Meanwhile, ill be over here observing people with damaged or altered brains having damaged or altered consciousnesses.

>deepak chopra horseshit intensifies

We know what consciousness is now, and it's not some mystical woo-woo. It's a byproduct of the part of your brain that devises narratives about why other people do what they're doing (a vital tool for a highly social animal like humans) which happens when it starts making narratives about why you're doing what you're doing.
(Just like with other people, it's often wrong about yourself, too.)

>That chair you're sitting on is 99.9% empty space

And here we have yet another guy too stupid to understand electrostatic repulsion. But hey, your face is almost only empty space as well, so feel free to try and push that through the nearest brick wall. Don't worry, the pain of repeatedly smashing an already broken nose into the deceptively solid-seeming masonry isn't really real.

Can we remain civil, please? Don't devolve this into a materialism vs consciousness debate.

As long as you dont argue your fantasy land can exist without your real body eating food, we're fine.

People on Veeky Forums know this shit first hand.

Wow, damage to the organ that you use to interact with consensus reality changes how you interact with consensus reality. Such insight

It's news to me if anybody has come out and said 'this is definitely what consciousness is' instead of 'this is the best guess, but we don't really know and are still investigating how the brain works' but I'm sure one person figured it all out and told the rest of the huge number of theories to fuck off authoritatively.

>I don't understand the point about the enormous difference between perception and reality like this guy is talking about so I'm going to strawman the fuck out of it and say he doesn't understand atoms and shit

>guys let's talk about magic irl!
>but not about how your mind can change physical reality tho

The VERY FIRST thing a seeker must embrace is the truth of reality - WHY DO YOU FUCKING LIE??????????????

Sophistry never dies?

Pretty much.

Pretty sure that doesn't mean what you think it means

Ugh, these lying fucks do so much damage to impressionable folk who are interested in this shtuff. But, as you rightly point out, liars be everywhere always. Fear and loneliness drive them, I guess.
Be wary of the liars, folks! This shit is not an escape from reality: it is an embracing of reality. If they tell you fantasy and nonsense, punch them in the face!

No no, it means what I think it means. Buddy is an obfuscating shill sowing doubt and lies. He wants to confuse, not enlighten.

Well, this went to shit pretty quick.

More truth, less lies, the shit will settle. But this subject attracts the liars and the users, because this subject also attracts those who are less intellectually rigorous.
Maintain intellectual honesty and this thread will go far. Mire yourselves in fantasy and deceptions, and the sword of Siva will strike.

Problem is, most see this whole topic as fantasy. So when discussing i like to address the mythology. But people always devolve into argument. I just remember Veeky Forums is better than that. Or so I thought.

What does it mean then?

It seems the topics' authors all consider this 'fantasy', and gladly take the money and gullibility of the genuinely interested. And the genuinely interested can be led astray by people talking about the 'mythology' without really knowing it in fact. Too many folks involved in this topic 'think' they know; too few actually properly practice.
And they ALL want to have super powers...

See?
You see what you're doing there, don't you?
Fuck off and neck yourself.
And that's coming from the Dalai Lama!

You're right, and

these sorts come along with their 'bro you're totally not initiated man do you even O.T.O have you even sex magicked into A.'.A.'.' and whatever when it's so much simpler than that.

I see what I'm doing, I'm saying it means 'you're a fat fucking neckbeard NEET and you're not going to magic your way into wealth and concubines all at once' while you're over here saying, in effect, 'the laws of magic themselves say magic doesn't exist and that in right, poor benighted soul'. Unless I'm wrong, which is why I asked you what it means.

Mr. Crowley put it best himself when he explained that YES! His mind possessed the power to influence reality, by coming up with ideas and plans and ways of putting those ideas into practice in reality. He could influence the mind of Henry Ford with the power of magik, which is to say the power of a pen and paper and the global mail delivery system....yet people still think, despite his protestations, that 'magic' is really real, if only you believe enuf......

>bro magick is just confidence and charisma dude!
>it's not a subtle art of reality manipulation it's mundane af my man!

This guy gets it. Straight from the Beast's mouth. Magik is using your brain correctly. Full stop. No special powers; no breaking physical laws; no nonsense. Just simple, pure, applied reason and logic and - gasp! - science. That is Crowley's message. Too bad his followers didn't get it. Which is strange, as he literally spelled it out.
But liars gotta lie.

Besides, Crowley said he was visited by a mechanical space eagle. One of these things is not like the other.

Yeah, too bad we don't possess some means of discerning which of these two statements might be true, and which might be a metaphor for something else....

Could it be the one statement he made or the book he wrote dictated to him by an other worldly presence? Hmm...

Look, you have part of it, and the line can be blurry between what is just your brain doing shit and your brain actually influencing reality, which is why it's a subtle art. But if you're denying outright, say, extradimensional beings that actually exist totally independently of us, or the ability of your individual mind to actually bend reality (in small ways), you're missing a big part of the whole thing.

>being a south polar cthonic atlantean sodomite apeling
>not being a north polar solar hyperborean divine electron
ISHYGDDT

Crowley also spent a lot of his life strung out on hashish or heroin, and was a champion of extreme sleep deprivation as a gateway to magical power. There's a lot of room for crazy in there.

>le subtle art maymay
Come on! You can buy into the 'subtle art' bullshit and end up doing nothing with your life; or, you can use your brain and your body to effect real change in reality for real.
Imagining that you can, say, burst clouds with your mind is pure nonsense. I'm sorry: the soviet and american intelligence agencies took this shit COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY and engaged in YEARS of research with EVERY self-proclaimed psychic on the planet. They discovered precisely dick all. The most intensive scientific inquiry ever found nada.
Crowley drug-adled himself because his followers were idiots who wouldn't listen to him tell the truth - so he made up the bullshit that they all craved, and hated them for it.

Jung's followers have investigated this line for nearly 100 years now. They have found nothing.
The 'answer' is not 'supernatural power'. It never was. 'Supernatural power' is just the bait, the carrot to lure in the ignorant. Stop being ignorant.

I think this truth right here is what people don't want to face - people seeking after superpowers are going to be people who want a quick fix, not a long regimen of work and growth and effort. Magic is all about discipline; and discipline is NOT what people are seeking.

Alright look, I'll spell this out easy like. Let's say you make a sigil/do a ritual to some chthonic being/ask your higher self/whatever bullshit floats your boat, asking for wealth. Are you going to get a wheelbarrow full of gold dumped in your lap? Probably not. Are job opportunities going to open up for you? If you did it right, most likely. You, individual man, can only do so much. Your ability to change the world can't make gold materialize out of nowhere, but it can mess with probabilities to make events more likely. This is why it's subtle. Generally (but not always) there is no smoke and fire and reality trembling to its foundations, you still have to be paying attention and you still have to act. Can you really say anything happened at all?

What you're describing is synchronicity, or The Secret(tm), or doc dyer's power of intention, or positivity, or like attracts like, or sympathetic magic, or the power of Belief, or any of 100 other names. Hell, the satannic bible says the same thing.
Sadly, the 'results' are soo subtle as to be completely beyond measurement. Which is to say, 'magic' had nothing to do with the results. Being OPEN to possibility is key, yes! Absolutely! OPENNESS is an absolute requirement. But there's nothing magical about being open to possibilities - that's just an alert and aware state of mind, no more.

global-mind.org/results.html#alldata

According to this years long project, the results are not beyond measurement. The double slit experiment suggests it is not beyond measurement.

How about this? Have you ever felt somebody watching you? Have you ever had an impending sense of dread that came true? The one that really got me into all this is having a dream about the future that came true. It's happened a few times. Nearly everybody I've asked has said it's happened to them, but then they just go on like it's nothing special.

How many accounts are there of mothers who felt something horrible happen to a child (died in a car accident, say) only to have it confirmed later? How often, for example, will you be talking with somebody about a movie you haven't seen in years only to come on Veeky Forums the next day and have somebody start a thread about making a setting of it? How many people have experiences with the dead, or are themselves dead but can recount details of what happened in the room before they're revived?

Where, really, is the difference between 'controlling and disciplining your mind can substantially effect how you interact with reality' and 'your mind can substantially interact with reality'?

>Institute of Noetic Sciences

Look up the Greater and Lesser Keys of Solomon. Goetic shit in general.

I love this shit.

>Leonard

"Hey, you want spells? I got your spells! Step right up, Leonard's got you covered! I got spells that make Moloch envious, at prices that make Mammon weep!"

Funny how the Goetia's depiction of Baal is Pepe, Wojak, and lolcat...

>This must be the work of an enemy Stand!

It's not all it's cracked up to be...

its like trying to give Jarjar Jedi Lessons

>consensus reality
trads pls go
this is a crat board

Look at historical esoteric books. Keys of Solomon, Heptarchia Mystica, stuff like that.

You spelled "hory" incorrectly.

You should be sent to the re-education center for insanity, and even though you would be joined with the fundi christians, in this case they are right. The occult is nothing but nail polish laced opium.

Can you recommend some of those primary sources?

The Popul Vuh is a good basic one for the Maya, but if you really want to go in detail you should go for a translation of the codices.

looks like putin to me.

please don''t do magic. it's bad for you.

The only sane post ITT

>made a sigil a few months ago
>designed to try and influence this girl into wanting to fuck me
>promptly forget about it, ambient wanking all the while charging it up
>it works
>she shoves her thumb up my arse mid-blowie
>just as i remember the sigil's existence
>magickal orgasm