Armies acting like they do in the lore

>playing kill team against brand new player
>loaned him my IG and am playing my Lamenters against him
>Newbie asks who they are, as he's never seen this chapter before
"basically theyre the unlucky marines, everytime they do something they get screwed over and suffer hideous losses."
>"awwwwww they can't be that bad", Newbie laughs and we start playing
>Turn 2 half the lamenters die after every single shot I take misses
>Lamenter with the missile launcher misses a Chimera in the open 4 times, the last one from TWO INCHES AWAY
>MFW I lost the game with 90% losses and never had a single lamenter run due to break tests, even as they were getting gunned down left and right

Ever had your army do everything it does in the fluff to the point that it hurts to watch Veeky Forums? Because I have.

Oh god that was painful to watch. Other than the dice screwing me over, it was very inspiring to see them hold on like that even as the dice came up 1's and 2's over and over again.

Trying out the full bike white scars list.

I mean it can work but is it viable? Not really

I do love those mother fuckers on my shelf though

Fucking do it. Ride eternal.

Ive done with with some success but when someone gets Grey Knights out im fucked that or Tau.

Another classic since im a huge Catachan nerd so I decided to get like 3 squads.1 command squad, 1 Chimera,3 heavy weapon teams,Team of ogyrns led by Nork dedogg,all 3 HQs (Strakken,Harker,Marbo) and 6 sentinels

If people let me use 3rd edition special Catachan rules then I can actually wreck.

but no one really wants to play 3rd ed

Fuck viability, that shit should have no bearing on your army.

Play what you like and what you think is cool.

>6 Sentinels

If I make some modifications I can totally do it.

I mostly just like collecting what I want but if I were to buy a drop pod+Stern Guard veterans with 2 storm talons then I could have some serious fun with my bikes fucking shit up

Then they work fine, you're not supposed to in 100% of the time.

Also love the Catachan stuff. I wish Sentinels saw more use. I have a few, but I don't see many other people use them.

I don't follow 40k but I think the lore is neat. If the lamenters are so shitty how are they still around? I feel like the slapstick failings would quit being endearing at around the third story.

Because they have heart. They are brave and unwilling to let innocents take collateral damage unlike most chapters, which means they are forced to do things the hard way, and to never back down with lives on the line.

We don't love the Lamenters because they get shit on.

We love the Lamenters because they get shit on and keep getting up for another round, because it's what's right.

The sentinel formation in the Damocles book is pretty good friendo. I've been running it with success

Their paint scheme is a right bitch to do though.

Why chessboard, why.

Ohhhhhh. I thought you were saying in OP that they point rocket launchers at their own faces and pull the pin and forget to let go of the grenade.

You just meant that they never back down no matter what. Neat. I like them too now.

"For those we cherish, we die in glory"
All you need to know, really.

op here, the idea isn't that they're idiots, its that they have horrible luck. Look up their lore. Most stories involve

>horrible things happen to civilians in X system
>Everyone else ignores it because reasons
>Lamenters say "what the fuck man somebody has to help them"
>Lamenters go in to help
>Initially kick ass, take names, and save lots of lives
>Inevitably take losses because no one will back them up as theyre believed to be cursed as a 21st founding chapter
>Lamenters either barely save the day or suffer a phrryic victory like Slaughterhouse III where they have to mercy kill 90% of the civilians (at the civilians request) to save them from slavery at the orks hands.

People like to joke that the curse is the reason Lamenters roll bad.

I want to play them now. Stop making me like 40k more than I already do. I can't afford it.

Congrats, you've picked the most masochistic Chapter you can pick in 40k. Not just in background, but in paintjob.

I've painted like 20 and man that emblem doesn't get any easier.

That said, its so rewarding to see them on the table. Even a halfway decent job on them turns heads. Plus people love to see them on the table after they hear the lore.

Why haven't The whites scars get anything ever?

I too play Lamenters. They make a great excuse anytime I lose I can just say "I'm just reenacting the lore!"

it does feel very liberating that if you fail your lore pretty much backs that up a 100%

>Well of course my sarge failed his dangerous terrain check by jump packing into the building! You didnt seriously expect me to pass a dangerous terrain check and an armor save did you?

>Stop making me like 40k more than I already do
No.

They're current status is lost: presumed dead I think.

They haven't answered the call to defend Baal, but they were already stalling Tyranids to give world populations time to evacuate and lost contact. Their Chapter Master is still a character though, so they might still be out there. We'll probably never get confirmation one way or the other.