Is there a good, generic fantasy that uses MP instea of vanancian casting? Veeky Forums says there is...

Is there a good, generic fantasy that uses MP instea of vanancian casting? Veeky Forums says there is, but I couldn't find any,

I'm not necessarily looking for someting video gamey, and I already know about Retrophaze and Super Console RPG (The former being more OSR and the latter being more terrible), I just want it to be D&D brand generic with it being balanced around MP for casting.

I already know you can convert a vanacian casting system, and that some systems have rules for that, like 5e, but I'm looking for a game that is designed around MP from the core.

Well, does it exist? Are RPGs like those a dime a dozen, or was TG memeing me?

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics&highlight=ernir
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Palladium Fantasy uses MP, it's just not called that.

5e isn't Vancian. It's MP with the points predivided into "slots." You don't prepare individual castings and you don't lose a spell after you cast it.

As much as I hate, Hate HATE to ever suggest anything related to 3e, like ever, if you take 3e, and ONLY use psionics and no magic, but call it magic, that's basically a more balanced MP-based magic system

There are a number of FF systems, most of them fan-made, and most of them bad.

BESM 3e uses MP

Magical Burst is surprisingly re-fluffable, and functionally uses MP

Legends of the Wulin uses MP, but calls it Ki, and is re-fluffable as long as you're OK with PC exceptionalism

Many versions of Savage Worlds use MP, and it's a good way to play it.

>5e isn't Vancian.
I wasn't going to reply, but you are a special kind of stupid. Have you only played OGL games for so long that a paintjob and a roll of duct-tape actually looks like an extremely different system? Really?

5e has mana rules in the DM's guide iirc.

I think Ryuutama uses mana

You could just take the mana system from a videogame and slap it into whatever roleplaying system you want.

Anima: Beyond Fantasy

Fantasy Craft

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics&highlight=ernir

Why do you say Super Console is terrible?

3.5 ToB+XPH+MoI and PF DSP-only work fine for MP-based casting.

And as far as fantasy goes, D&D is actually fairly specific. It's just that so many games and whatnot have been based off of it to varying degrees that it looks like it should be generic.

Well, considering WotC finally managed to do with 5e what Sqaure already had done with Final Fantasy all the way back in 1987, it must look revolutionary to many younger people.

>take the mana system from a videogame and slap it into whatever roleplaying system
Do you have even the slightest idea of how utterly stupid that suggestion is?

Savage Worlds uses mana points.

To be fair I absolutely despise classic RPG style mana systems, and have yet to see a game where they actually add something to the experience.

Exalted. Essence = MP

which pdf of savage worlds i need to play a generic fantasy game?

SavWorlds Deluxe, + the 2015 FAQ with the updated shaken rules, + the Fantasy Companion. The older version chase rules are also agreed to be better than the current ones.

Fantasy Companion isn't even that great, or needed.

OP may also want Savage Spellbook and Savage Armory fan supplements.

GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy has wizards cast from an MP pool (energy reserve), FP pool (fatigue points), HP pool (blood magic/ hit point pool), and external reserves such as their familiar's FP pool and charges held in Power Items such as staves, magic books, crystal balls or whatever you want really.

An optional magic system 'Sorcery' has you casting exclusively from the FP pool, with the ability to cast spells for cheap if you cast using somatic and verbal components. It's a bit harder to set up, but it's better at making blaster wizards if that's your jam.

True, but Anima is generally terrible.

How can one man be so wrong?

Unearthed Arcana for 3.5 has a mana/spellpoints variant.
You can find it via the google.
It's pretty solid/balanced.
You could easily use the math as a baseline to adapt it to older versions if need be.
The math is static when you look at it from class to class.

RuneQuest use magic points, and RuneQuest 6/Mythras is completely generic allowing sci-if, sword and planet, and a wide variety of fantasy.

Make that two.

no, it's terrible

use this:

5e *ISN'T* Vancian, though.

Vancian is:
>prepare a spell into a slot
>fire slot
>slot and that instance of prepared spell are gone, the minutiae of the spell forgotten to the caster

In 5e the spell slots are a currency and the spell list is independent from that--you don't prepare spells expressly for the slots. You can have Magic Missile be prepared once (because any prepared spell is only prepared once) and cast it with every spell slot if you want, and you still have it prepared after all spell slots are gone. That's a far cry from Vance's 'Dying Earth' magic.

He asked for good though.

But RQ is pretty good, as is the rest of the BRP-family.

Yeah but nobody gives a shit. It's not even part of the topic because OP wanted the game based on MP from the ground up anyways.