/5eg/ D&D 5e General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

In last weeks episode: Lets see some D&D Demotivators while we discuss good DM/GM resources(bot RPG and general books/novels).

Other urls found in this thread:

pandius.com/Players_Guide.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for orcs

bumping my question from previous thread -

you could at least post a cosplay elf or something
not a drawn one

Robert Greene's books but especially the "48 laws of power" is helpful for a DM. Its good as an audio book too. Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" are great to see how to portray truly heroic characters.

I would rule that it would only increase with Ranger levels.

I believe that apart from a few features (Channel Divinity, Extra Attack, Unarmored Defense and Spellcasting.) all class feature depend solely on the level of the class they come from.

So no, it's HP, and so on, will not increase with fighter levels.

I think there's a sage advice about this sort of thing saying as much but I'm not fully sure.

I'm gonna ask again, since I posted late in the last thread: is the Tome of Beasts pdf not downloading for anyone else? Keeps erroring out

thanks user

have another orc

ask your dm even if its not listed that way in the rules he might bend for the sake of fun.

Never read much Rand but if you want truly heroic characters go look through Greek plays; they set the template for heroes in the western tradition. Being both more than human in general but also profoundly human in a specific area.

Lets go deeper with the mobile monster base idea.
Anyone haver alternative monster suggestions?
Ideas of what other features should be installed, both mundane and magical, inside the beast?

Teleportation circle seems nice, that way you can get out without putting yourself in the path of a Tarrasque. Another way in that's not getting eaten is good too though.

Installing a plate between sections of the tarrasque's brain might be able to act as a functioning lobotomy. We might be able to curb some agression if we cut the right parts of its brain off from the rest of it. It cant regenerate through tough enough material, after all - it's gonna have to wait until the area no longer has a foreign obstruction.

Even if it's done to the rules you could still have fun for RP purposes and if you pick something with a non-DPS/Tank mechanical role it may still be useful, even with weak stats.

Like how my favorite idea for a pet is a giant crab which can be used as a grappling machine.

You da best user. I think it's mega being stupid with 150mb+ files or some shit

im about to roll up a level 5 character tell me what to roll up.

pic unrelated

Btw, the size change fixed the problem. Thanks again

Tell us the party composition, what the game is like if you know, and what you enjoy.

everything about this idea is what I hate about D&D

wizards get the fuck out of this thread mARTIALS STRONK

no not for a game just for fun.
but as far as using it in the future i will play anything except for warlock.

A martial is perfectly capable of accomplishing most of this, user!

You think a WIZARD is going to cut holes into it? What's the cleric gonna do, pray for it not to bite his face off while he's installing the lobotomy plates?
You need grit and moxy, son.

Since the Ranger has just been rejiggered how about:

Water Genasi, Beastmaster Melee Ranger with the Gladiator Background.

any good third party campaign recommendations?

alright my man ill be back in like 20 minutes with this guy.

to be honest you quit before it started being good
after that first adventure the players and DM get a better handle on the game and the DM goes some really cool places with the camaign
that said is goofball players arent you thing its defo not a podcast for you

I have a 20 pound ruby, the fuck do I do with it?

eat it

Have it cut into smaller pieces.

Anyone got a cool backstory suggestion for a LG tiefling Devotion paladin with the Urchin background? What god should I pick as my patron?

Give it back to the giant on the PHB cover, if he only has one in his hat it ruins the whole look.

Your tiefling paladin was an unwanted street urchin (not uncommon when you kid ends up looking like Satan) and was taken in by a more experienced paladin mentor.
What setting are you playing in?

How about an urchin who worships Ilmater as remembrance of their time on the streets, but follows the Oath of devotion to prevent others from experiencing the same?

Some god of light.

Be the tiefling trying to lift the curse of his people so they may walk upright in the light.

Years ago your father was turned into a fiend for sinning against some god.
When you were young, a different god told you you could reclaim your honor by finding and protecting a holy priest while he performs a particular service to your newfound deity.

Forgotten Realms, we're starting Tyranny of Dragons.

I was thinking about having a mentor character, but was trying to think of a good reason why a paladin would take in a little street urchin and train her in the ways of his god.

Ilmater seems like a good choice, I like it.

Was actually planning on doing something similar to this, I know for a fact that another play is going to be playing a Fiend Pact Warlock tiefling, a was thinking I would be on him a lot for perpetuating the stereotype and such.

ILMATER IS LOVE
ILMATER IS LIFE
PELORFAGS PLEASE LEAVE

I'm playing DnD for the first time ever, and I've decided to play a Half-Elf Bard (being from WFRP, I wanted to take options I've never been able to before). In the course of determining my character, I've decided that this Bard should be a rapier-wielding version of Fabio.

Kind gentlefolk of the board, please help me realise my dream of fielding Fabio the Bard. Pic rather related.

(Was a thread, deleted it when I saw there was a General)

okay here it is
some notes
i left cosmetic stuff off of the sheet so if i use it later i can tailor it how i want
also i didnt make a spell list because of the same reason as cosmetic stuff

For a second I thought your character was called Charlemagne Vapestep

kek

Whats the best character sheet out there?
Ilmater is pretty fucking based.

maybe your paladin wants someone to succeed them and doesn't have a wife or children to speak of, so they picked up an urchin because who better to teach a pious life to a poor unfortunate soul such as an urchin

explain

Make it like this:

She was working as a waitress with her sister in a poor part of a port town.

They'd get harrassed a lot because of their heritage but it was managable and didn't go beyond insults, wierd stares and the occasional groping.

Some day some drunken sailors decided to have their way with them, stripped them and trying to rape them when surprise old man in shining armour comes in to save the day.

The two sisters tried to murder the sailors in revenge once they were incapable of defending them selves but the pally stopped them.

He said : ''Why would you sully your hands with this trash that i'm going to throw into jail?''
They awnsered: ''Because we kept being abused, and if we don't make an example of them then this is only going to happen again...''
Pally: ''But what would you do then? Two tieflings murdering a bunch of sailors... You know how it will look to the common folk. Rather come with me.''

Pally takes them to his order and gives them propper work where they won't get harrassed.

He's revealed to be the half-elf son of a tiefling light cleric and elven paladin.

Ever since he was born he made it his goal to help tieflings transcend their curse but he's getting old now and will need someone to carry on his torch.

Thus he offers them to become novitiates of his order.

Sister became a cleric while your PC had more of a knack with weapons and thus became a paladin.

CREATIVITY

sometimes a new take on something is good. sometimes its like this
pic related

There's not much to say. Half-Elf bard is a good choice, and Half-Elves are probably the best race in the PHB. Go Lore if you want to be more skillful, or Valor if you prefer combat.

Rapier's a good choice for a melee weapon, though you'll probably want some armor (in deference to Fabio's chest hair, of course.) A bow would also be good.

Bards use instruments as arcane focuses - it's not really explained if you have to play them or just hold them. It's metagamey, but if you get something that can be played with one hand, you can hold it and fight at the same time. Castanets could work. Most GMs will veto this but it is hilarious.

As a Half-Elf, you can easily start with a 16 in both dex and cha. Focus on increasing your dexterity if you're going to be swordfighting - buff spells don't care about your charisma. Good feats for you are Resilient (Constitution) and War Caster, to keep your concentration buffs up.

Are there any particularly good classes or archetypes from DMs Guild?
Anything that might cater to JoJofags? Ripple, Spin, or Stands?

I've never played this game but I really want to try it, but only if I can play a goblin.
Do you guys think a DM would allow this or are goblins exclusively a slave/enemy race in the D&D universe?
I wanna be a little bomb guy or like a swamp curse boggart.

There are options with the official Zendikar supplement.
You'll have to re-fluff them unless your DM's cool with playing in the Zendikar setting.
As for being in a party, you'll probably have to play as their slave or someone who's forced to stay with them, unless you're an exceedingly chill gobbo.

Who in their right mind would want a nasty little goblin as a slave.
Maybe I'd start as a slave for some kind of crime and end up getting Stockholm syndrome.
lmao

While the answer to that question is pretty firmly rooted in "Ask your DM", they're...occasionally civilized in Forgotten Realms (the default 5e setting) and official player stats for goblins are coming in November.
Unfortunately for your concepts there, there are no alchemist or witch/shaman classes, the closest you'll get is probably wizard and warlock, druid, or death cleric.

But hey, you could try to get in a game with something that does have supported framework, because the game in general is pretty fun

Bomber isn't really possible without homebrew stuff, but an asshole that throws curses around could work if you're a Warlock or a Wizard. Not sure how the stats line up with gobs, but it can probably work.

> Whats the best character sheet out there?

Depends on what you are looking for in a sheet.

Normal sheets I'd go for either the Tall Glass of Standard v1.4 from reddit or the Veeky Forums sheets.

Veeky Forums sheets: mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Tall glass of standard v1.4: reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2do179/treat_yourself_to_a_tall_cold_glass_of_current/

The most popular sheet generator that does most of the stats for you is Forged Anvil: enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234

How do you guys settle down on a character concept for an entire campaign? I've been DMing for over two years, and nobody else in the group is passionate or studious enough to learn how to do it, so I'll be stuck here for a while. I've got a folder full of PC concepts that I've wanted to run, but if I ever do get the chance to play, how should I find one that keeps me interested? Simply exploring options and chargen is part of the reason I've got so many in my boredom, but how can I know what I play will satisfy me to stop that?

I do the same thing. Typically, I look at the campaign themes (if it's pre-published or if the GM is willing to talk about it) and what the other players are playing and choose something that both fits in the campaign and fills a hole in the party lineup.

As for liking the mechanics behind it, its easy enough to run some scenarios in your head to see what you can do.

What class , race and options interest you?? You can pick almost anything for the background, bonds and flaws. No one says the character can't evolve and if you get bored you can multiclass into something else. You just can't fuck with your race once you have....you could change the apprearance to another race somehow but you are stuck with the racials and deep inside you'll always really be the original race.

If you are DMing and have so many PC concepts why aren't you using them as enemy NPCs. You could be trying them all out with your group.

sometimes i cant desu, but a good way ive learned to do it is while playing one character make it fun to role play as them, like really get in the head space of the character you want to play that way you feel more connected to that pc and care about what happens to him/her and wanna see where they're story ends

there is no pelor in the realms

so to be honest in shorthand corrects into desu. ....thats cool i guess

Try using abbreviations for shaking my head to be honest family.
baka desu senpai

thats pretty lit senpai

Sun soul monks are ripple as fuck, but otherwise you're pretty much SOL

THEN WE RETROACTIVELY WON, PELORFAG ALPHA IS GONE

Now if only we could eliminate him and his ilk from all the planes and all the universes.

What do you think the order of the invisible hand and order of the knife will be like?

Thanks mate, I'll be sure to post about it here. And if it doesn't work, I'll be back to make Fabio as a Barbarian.

Or Fabio as a Druid.

Or Fabio as a Warrior.

Or Fabio as a Rogue.

Incidentally, are there DnD versions of spray-on tan?

I'm sure alchemists can whip up something.
I find it amusing you used the cover of Rogue for your bard rather than your rogue.

>Incidentally, are there DnD versions of spray-on tan?
Prestidigitation

Okay are there any old schoolers that happen to have a hard copy of...

FOR10 - Warriors and Priests of the Realms (2nd Edition)

Need a scan of page 88.

Both the PDF in the wild and on DMsGuild is missing the page.

Ask your wizard for some color spray

Eh, I can deal.
I'd say something about an Italian man portraying a Native American, but I'm sure there's some spaghetti westerns that have done it first and worst.

Seemed more fitting for the look I was going for.

Huh, I was looking at taking that as a cantrip. Looks like we have a champion.

(Pic unrelated)

One of my players played this annoying, not quite but practically evil character. before last session he decided to ditch the party because he wanted to kill them. We had a talk about it and we agreed he was going to play a new character (because redemption was just not believable for his old PC anymore), and his old PC will return later as an enemy to the party. His PC was a rogue 2/warlock 3 before he left. I'm guessing the party will be lvl 7 or 8 when they encounter him again. How should I play this evil ex-PC? As a PC but with extra lvls (would be logical, he was going in search of extra powers to beat the party), or find some matching template in the MM, tweak as necessary? If I decide to run him as a PC, what lvl would be appropriate to challenge a lvl of 5 characters lvl 7-8?

>5E
>Hot elf chicks
I thought sjws had conquered this edition. Aren't monsters like driads and mermaids drawn wearing burqas?

Look up the CR for a monster that would be a decent challenge for the 5-man lvl 7 party.

That's to say something on pair with a young adult dragon with a few minions.

Describe the PC in question, why he has grudges, party composition etc.
You could use some high level gimmick build that's damn annoying to fight like Rogue 2/Warlock 3/Shadow monk 6/Ranger 3

Mike Mearls is triggered by the feminine form. Its a fucking shame that the best edition since 2E has such fucking bland shitty artwork.

Fuck... My copy has the same issue (pdf not physical). They posted page 89 twice...

Anyway, your best bet would be to ask the OSR guys, so go ask in their thread.

There are some cuties...

Yeah, that druid in the antlers and bikini is an elf, too
And the green elf butt (possibly female) at the start of the spells chapter, too
It's hardly without elf babes, it's just you also get dreads wizards and female monks and stuff. More diversity of characters means classic archetypes aren't so overwhelmingly present. I think it's a good thing to encourage people to think outside the obvious, too- more entertaining roleplay.

That and the price range are the reasons why I never bought 5e and never plan to buy it.

I agree the book prices are fairly exorbitant, that's why I only got the PHB and the adventures while using pdfs for everything else

Roleplaying tips for paladins of Ilmater in cos?

My guy will have been from a previous set of adventurers summoned by strahd (because i joined two sessions late, someone droppe so I filled the spot)who, except for himself, all got killed off. He's been sitting in town trying to keep his hope and faith, but he's barely keeping it together. What are some good ways to show his unhinged behavior, increasing paranoia, and initially bleak outlook on the entire situation in this realm? He shouldn't be a broken man, but close to breaking. But not too close that a promising party, who has resources his prior group didnt have, won't eventually renew his vigor and faith.

The most outward displays i can think of are a bit of alcoholism, deep dark circles under his eyes, and the same weary expression that a cancer-ridden mom would have when assuring her children that things are fine when she knows that they arent (which I'm having trouble describing in a less specific way, I can picture it exactly I just don't have the words for it in my head.)

I need other ideas for behaviors fitting.

It's a long story. The char wanted to overthrow the royal family in the city, therefore he joined the royal elite squad (the party). Then he really really quickly developed a grudge against the rest of the party, then he had a change of heart and confessed everything, then he became an asshole again and wanted to kill everyone. Honestly, it all came very close to That Guy territory, which is why I asked the other players about it and then asked him to change his playstyle.

Going by just the CR, it seems a lvl 20 PC would be fair game for a lvl 7 party of 5. Right?

So with the new Ranger errata, can I mount my beast companion if I am a halfling or gnome? I'm about to start a new campaign and figured I'd give it a whirl like everyone else. If I'm lucky enough for my DM to let me have a panther, or any other companion with climb speed, can it still climb 40' with me mounted? Or will I need some sort of harness? Or just outright no?

Well a single meteor swarm does 40d6 to all those 7s who are now dead

So he's basically having doubts of his original goal and then went back to it anyway.

A lvl 20 PC character is too much.

Make him a lvl 14 character and use the gimmick build i told you in my previous post.

Give him a number of lvl 3 PC class subordinates.

Basically:

Rogue 2/Warlock 3/Shadowmonk 6/ Hunter ranger 3

He can theoretically get in tens of attacks within a single turn (which is fucking devastating with hex) or retreat and move as he wishes.

Make the other subordinates a party of their own and make them into some form of loyal disciples-followers of the former PC.

Lvl 3 Swashbuckler
Lvl 3 Tomelock
Lvl 3 Shadow monk
Lvl 3 Hunter ranger

Just use tactics and think about their abilities.
This could end in a party wipe if you do to well tho.

Yes. I'd suggest buying a military saddle so you get advantage on the Dex save to stay on your mount if it is pushed

I'm in love with the pure "ye olde fantasy" of Mystara, however any info I can find is either vague as fuck or too specific, geographic info and I have no idea how to start.
I wish I had some sort of info on the overall culture, stances towards magic, density of magic and monsters.

Is It okay to just get country names, vague idea of who lives there and just wing the fuck out of It?
I heard that some cool shit happens in Mystara, like magical cancer mists or pale elves not being just drows with different name.
Where do I get that info?
I know about Pandius but I feel like this site is perfect for someone who already knows what's up and only comes there to check on specifics
>pic only vaguely related

Here, this should be good for a beginner. Otherwise head over to the osr general for specifics.

"haunted" is a good word to use to describe him.
I personally wouldn't have him turn to alcohol, it's more horrid to have him putting all his effort into being strong and failing to remain so - I would have him abstain from alcohol, and then any pleasures (fruit, music, optimistic thoughts) to try and bolster his spiritual toughness.
He has been close to death, but hasn't been taken. He doesn't know why. His god is silent in this realm, and he feels he is being tested. If he gets closer to death through giving up human(oid) experience, maybe he can reach into the afterlife and get some guidance. A twisted logic and strong faith is spooky, and fits a lawful character.
All in all, as messed up as he is on the inside, keep something strong and positive at his core. Maybe his willpower, charity for others, or whatever. So even when he is feeling defeated this spark will push him to action. This will give you a character that is fun to play, hopefully.

Does anybody have a pdf they can share of the planar bestiary?

And then these is the "official" 5e mystara guide from Pandius that boils most of the shit down quite nicely. And remember, technically Pandius is the official source since WotC gave them the go ahead to work on it. The link provided details each nation on 1 page and lots of other rather neat stuff such as archetypes and stuff which are, again, technically official.

pandius.com/Players_Guide.pdf

This might be a dumb question. I'm playing as a wizard for the first time and in 5e. I'm not really sure how extra dimensional spaces work, specifically with Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion. While in that space, can I use the teleport spell to get to some other place on the prime material plane that isn't the entrance to MMM?

How can I roleplay as a bard if I have no real creative talent? I can't sing, dance, nor play an instrument, and my oratory skills are lacking. I can't really do descriptive roleplaying as my group likes to talk in character.

Teleport destination must be on the same plane of existence

Tired of DMing for my circle of friends who all flake on the first couple sessions, or they do their best to not even play(Friend played a monk who broke his vows every time he smelled gold).

Should I DM at my local game store? Theres a bunch of entry lvl players looking for a DM there, and I think Im decent enough. Or is that a trainwreck waiting to happen?