Might have already been churned over but did anybody see this piece on Vice about 3d printing and Wargaming (sp...

Might have already been churned over but did anybody see this piece on Vice about 3d printing and Wargaming (sp. Games Workshop)?

Frankly the models featured have done nothing to convince me that home 3d printing won't just be a pipe dream similar to how nobody with a printer expects cheap publisher quality home printed books.

vice.com/en_au/read/warhammer-3d-printed-miniatures

Other urls found in this thread:

tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26528
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Those where 3D printed? I'll stick to Geedubs thanks. Or I would if I had any cash.

it wont effect companies like GW (well not in the short term anyways.) The only difference I can see 3d printing making is when it comes to people trying to get their homebrewed games kickstarted. In the long run I mean years and years down the road this could lead to more competition for GW which could maybe slow down the rate of inflation on GW models .

High resolution prints will do well, but frankly those models in OP's pic are shit.

yeah I saw this on facebook today. I had a hard time taking the article seriously and Im not even a GW cuck, those models just look like shit. The predator IMO looks okay though. A bit of filing at the front or some plasticard plating and it might be able to pass at tabletop level.

Everything else looks fucking degenerate though, like total fucking garbage. You couldn't pay me to field those things at the FLGS. Utterly revolting

Eh, I imagine the technology will improve it'll be a matter of how much that improved tech costs in comparison to the set methods.

Dunno how much demand you'd get in the home market for high detail 3d printers. You'd see it a lot more in the small scale production side though.

The small minority, myself in there, care more about the game. I play whfb, and I could give a rats ass how my clan rats look. I like playing the game, and only really put time into rare units, ect. I get how alot of the gw fan base is about painting and posing and what not, but before I had the funds to get a decent are going, friends and I just Fucking used beads on the trays or whatever we could use (Lego men, monster hunter mini figures for monster units, ect.). 3d printing really allows a better visual aspect (and hinestly more key rules following).
Accuracy of the model isn't my biggest concern, but for the majority it is. It won't be a real problem for GW till printers become more sophisticated or GW finally puts the jew that broke the players back and makes it so even aesthetic players won't pay.

If you don't give a shit what the models look like then surely you'd just use army men or tokens rather than fucking around with 3D printing?

Of course, that's what we did, but if we have an option to get closer to the actual product for a fraction of the coat, it's a quality of life thing. Would I like a whole army of models? Definetly, but cost effectiveness makes me care less. The printer would be a gradual step toward regular play, while having uses outside GW games (other war games, pnp game minis, ect.) Where as buying gw specific stuff means money dedicated to that. Again, printers are not going to blow GW out of the water, but I think slowly, they will start to take notice.

Just stick to using chinks desu

>The predator IMO looks okay though.
>inb4 new GW models will all be full of small details and adornments

>and I could give a rats ass how my clan rats look.
I thought you cared more about the game?

3D printing is still a bit off for being viable for 28mm miniatures, but you can do some awesome stuff in Epic 6mm scale. This drop pod was designed and printed by a guy at home with his, albeit expensive, 3D-printer

Considering most GW moulds cost more than most 3D printers, and it is STILL the most cost effective way to get that level of detail, 3D printing is unlikely to be effecting GW anytime soon.

Also, as the technology improves, if it gets to the point where it is both usable and cheaper than compression moulding, then obviously GW are going to change to that, and they are far more likely to be able to afford the machines than 95% of people on the planet.

By the time 3D printing machines are both good enough AND cheap enough for the average person, copyright law would have caught up to the point where getting the specifications to print GW models will be difficult.

Also, what direction are those marines even looking.

3D printing will affect Games Workshop in the same way regular printing has affected Wizards of the Coast.

At the point 3D printing would be good enough and cheap enough, it's likely GW would be able to afford even higher-tier stuff due to mass production offsetting the prices.

With the current prices of the plastic spools used in 3D printing I don't think you'd really save anything compared to just buying the models.

I've thought about using the one at work for printing custom minis or terrain though.

3D printing is only a step in the small scale, independent production of models and figures. While "home" 3D printing is leaps and bounds behind what is available in industrial scale machines, there are producers who will print and ship models produced by very high quality machines. Shape ways, for instance, has recently started producing figures in high detail acrylic that have excellent detail and fidelity. For the price of a single box of tac marines, you can get your own prototype. Learn how to cast resin and you have something like 30 cent marines. THIS is how 3D printing will and has already revolutionized miniatures.

Will we see an out of the box machine capable of printing figures that are table top quality, a machine we can keep next to our computers? Not any time soon. But that's not the real question.

Will we see a system where individuals skilled at 3D modeling can prototype and cast figures with less than a 100 dollar entry point per figure? We already have.

Nice. Did he do any other model or just drop pods?

He has done a lot of stuff, he has 24-page long thread on Tactical command about it.

tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26528

For tanks? Hell yes! For other things? Nah!

>he plays Warhammer for the game

What the fuck is wrong with you?

The papercraft stuff you can build using a 2d printer is better than that stuff.