MTG ART THREAD

MtG Art Thread

Pic related (just ordered it as playmat, will post soon)

Just gonna dump my favourite pieces from my favourite artist

>He's not leading you to treasure
>He's actually trying to show you Emrakul's lattice all over the place

>tfw he only made one card in Kaladesh

My fave art is monsters and girls by Wayne Reynolds.

I wish he did more dragons and hydras.

Rob Alexander does some beautiful landscapes

Goddamn beautiful

Carl Critchlow is my favorite MTG artist of all time. His art made me jump on Arcbound as an archetype when it first came out, so as much as I enjoy still finding use for Arcbound Ravager, I hate how they changed the art.

Speaking of mtg art, anyone know if there'll be a Kaladesh artbook? I know they made a Zendikar one. I'm not so interested in the cards for play value but all day colorful art and neat filigreed armor and inventions.

Yes, there is an artbook for Kaladesh.

Yea I like this one so much better than the new art. The new art just looks like a big mean monster that can grow, the Critchlow art expresses so well the volatility and huge potential that the card has. When you see the critchlow ravager you can almost hear the sound it would make, like some kind of high-pitched, lidded engine. Strangely I also got this impression from Spellskite even though it's a different artist.

Always liked pic related as well. The old white borders were so much better than any new ones.

McKinnon is the last real artist in the game. Once he stops, the art is dead. Every card as of recent looks like it was done by Noah Bradley, or 2005 cgi. Peter Mohrbacher was great too, but Wotc fucked him so now he won't do anymore cards.

Not mckinnon, but I really like Godo's art

>tfw Seb will never get to illustrate a planeswalker

>every set he produces less art
>almost had my heart broken during BFZ block when he did no cards

I really like Yeong-Hao Han, foil Sanity Shreds are really beautiful

>tfw there will never be Return to Lorwyn with plentiful Guay and Nielsen art

Also Stasis needs a place in the Louvre...

Absolutely agreed

Edge of Autumn's art is really beautiful

So, who's your fav artist, Veeky Forums?

posting best clique because i've been seeing the 2015 version posted and i want to balance it out and because jesper hardly gets any love in these threads

mckinnon's stuff has that gross cloying color smear that nils hamm does, but mckinnon's always ends up with the texture of a corroded jpeg

reynolds is consistently good

the alter is better

McKinnon manages to consistently produce pieces that make me want to look at the card for extended periods of time

He has his misses, notably Essence Flux and the entirety of his participation in Eldritch Moon set (which seems enough of an art abomination that Wizards refuse to publish any high-res art) but his consistency is amazing

I love new balance. Wizards lost a chance to give him a good story

>tfwywn draft alara

>Guay
>Nielsen
>Jesper Ejsing (how do you even pronounce it?)
>

Wow that art is great. I can't believe it was only one printing.

Thats beautiful. I wish it was a level in a game, I'd love to explore it.

i've always hated this artwork. the filigree doesn't seem plausible or natural and the face looks lifeless and dead. the hair and the eyes are so bad.

it makes me cringe.

Quinton Hoover (!)
Rebecca Guay
Anson Maddocks

Also:
Brian Snoddy
Kaia Foglio
Melissa Benson
Richard Thomas
Brom

10/10 would clang

Only Plains I use. When I was a kid the art on these really captured my imagination, and was probably a part of what made me fascinated with MTG in the first place.

That being said, I am forever a Rebecca Guay fangay. I think this was the first card of hers I saw and the allure was always clear.

I disagree, but to each their own. Chippy also did my favorite land, what do you think of it?

As I posted above, Carl Critchlow is my favorite, because of his odd, almost gross realism. There's an attention to detail, but it's all of the "ugly," which makes it even more appealing in my opinion.

I enjoy Svetlin Velinov, though only his nonhuman stuff. His humans look bland at best, shit at worse. The armor and monsters he does are top notch though. Gets my fantasy lover Pavlovian going.

Dan Scott has some good subject matter and grotesque detail in his darker pieces, which I enjoy, and Izzy's work always stood out for its excellent use of lighting.

Jesper fan over here too.
Karl Kopinski for best Mountain (and other good ones)
Slawomir Maniak had good stuff too

>you will never have Guay basics

Just a heads up, I bought Zendikar and Innistrad, and both feel like DnD books. If you like lore, then you're in for a double treat.

Cynthia Sheppard is pretty good.

Hyped for Plane Shift: Kaladesh
maybe we can get some good steampunk style 5e.

posting my favorite.
are there any like this?

Terese Nielsen, Jesper Myrfors, Quintin Hoover, and Chippy

>Chippy
Meant Rk Post. Don't know why I put Chippy

always been a fan of kev walker
i really like his mists and dusty-ness

i definitely plan to own that mountain someday

Gotta be Guay.

Also enjoy:
Nielsen
Hoover
rk post
Tedin
Rob Alexander

"Black vampire xDDDD" aside, this really conveys the "army of nobles" feeling

Old rk post is amazing stuff.
Newer rk post is terrible.

It baffles me how an artist can manage to lose so much talent. The technical execution is still good, so I doubt he had a stroke or something, but the content and style has slowly become garbage over the years. It's very strange.