Veeky Forums, what's a good system for a western themed mech game? Why is it good?

Veeky Forums, what's a good system for a western themed mech game? Why is it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/o456wmkz6phtl/Books#g4jbcg5w649m8
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116
rpgnow.com/product/989/Heavy-Gear-RPG-3rd-Edition-Players-Handbook?it=1
comicvine.gamespot.com/copperhead-1/4000-464947/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Western themed mech? Like Cowboys and Outlaws riding around in big robots or something?

Pendragon. Knights = Mechs.

Basically, yeah.

Mechs, hostile wilderness, and pockets of civilisation.

Do you mean SPACE WESTERN or just TECHNOWESTERN, specifically?

There's a difference.

>Dogs in the Vineyard
The mech police have to uncover and address and malfunctions reported by the populace.

>Mythras
It has great firearms rules, and the sci-of basics. The system is really strong with dangerous games build around unique cultures and societies.

looking at Mythras now, seemingly not much indication that it supports mechs, but that's just first impressions.

Dogs in the Vineyard mite be cool this one idea I had... Swat Mecha

I like the sound of the dice betting mechanic too.

guess I'll post some pics to bump the thread

Why are his legs so short?

You need some of the supplements. Mainly the Star Wars supplement which has the sci-of skills you need. They're also in the free rules for the most part.

But... I put Dogs in front for a reason. It's an excellent system for episodic western inspired games where the background fluff just needs an authority investigating crimes.

The Heavy Gear setting has the Badlands which are very much the wild west with mechs.

Oh, and the reason it is so good for mechs is because the Size stat. As long as you are not planning 30-story mechs and want them ranging between 15ft to around 50ft the stat allows ways to easily differentiate the mechs.

Savage Worlds

Rifts, with the New West, and maybe even the Vampire Kingdoms splat books.

By limiting yourself to only core and the two splats, Rifts can remain manageable to run for a GM. If the group itself is only really familiar with D20 systems, it will be easier to grasp. Make sure you go over all the characters before the game starts to make sure everything's on the up and up and there's no glaring disparity.

Gurps

Or maybe all the mechs are wearing nice hats?

He's on a planet with intense gravity

that's dope, I appreciate the breakdown

I actually really want to run a game of Dogs in the Vineyard after what I've been reading. Was the commentary about the mechs for DitV or this Mythras Imperative?

I'll check out the free books, but might have to get my hands on a full pdf...

Sell me on Savage Worlds? I hear it mentioned but never really discussed.

Don't know anything about Rifts but for the D20 crowd it might be a good one to check out. I myself am not too familiar with D20 based.

The hats are mandatory, they're a rank/status symbol

BTW I'm not OP. I'm running a Space Western Opera that uses Aliens incredibly sparingly and has a small cozy scale.

Savage Worlds

>Sell me on Savage Worlds? I hear it mentioned but never really discussed.

Not that guy, but it's a very simple, fast, generic system that's easy to customize. Your stats are measured in dice size (going from 1d4 to d12, then d12+1, +2, etc.). Classless. Has a lot of setting books (though Mecha Western is probably not one of them).

It's a pretty good medium crunch option.

Is there any Savage World Mech book?

Google turned up a few things, but none are official.

It's mentioned that the sci-fi toolkit book has mech building rules.

I'm not very proficient in SW however, maybe somebody more familiar has one on hand.

I'd recommend Strike! for mecha, as long as you don't mind a system being heavily gamist.

Im poorfag D=

DL link?

Rifts in either case. Savage Rifts, if you hate Palladium's system.

PDF trove here:

mediafire.com/folder/o456wmkz6phtl/Books#g4jbcg5w649m8

Strike! here:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116

GURPS has everything you need for that

OP, don't listen to faggots talking about Dogs in the Vineyard, Mythras, etc.

Rifts is pretty much what you are looking for. See the cover of New West here:

Thanks!

Well, unless what he is looking for involves a system that isn't shit.

(of course, has you covered there).

I recommend a noose to hang yourself with.

Thanks anons. I'll have to trawl through a bit.

What does Rifts do that the other systems here don't?

Being a hodgepodge kitchensink of a setting where you can find anything. Possibly being appallingly badly balanced, but I'm not familiar with the other systems to know for sure if it's unique in that regard.

Pretty much this. But Terra Nova in general is a very "frontier" planet.

Well I'm not OP

but can it support Space Opera Western?

With good environment interaction?

And a way to support political intrigue, including but not limited to flesh vs robotic harems?

I'm still going to check out the three mentioned, with Rifts as a backup failing those three

Stoked about Dogs, but I'm homebrewing the setting anyways so maybe I'll save that for the Swat Mecha.

>anime fighting machines

that's just my problem

I want to run sensible but small hard suits, with an option to take on a bigger one for space battle. The former no bigger than say this.

It's GURPS, you can customize it to your heart's content. Considering that no one uses the book that was posted, you should be fine statting up mechs as you usually would with the basic set.

I've poked my nose into GURPS in the past...

Is that the one that supports extended tactical rules? Or am I thinking of FATAL or something?

There are extended tactical rules via the GURPS Tactical Shooting book and the GURPS Martial Arts book. That said they aren't a must have. You can do everything that you want entirely with the two core books, or even GURPS lite. While I concede that it doesn't have a mecha-western setting out of the box, there are existing rules for cowboys and such, and there are rules for robots and such, (It is a multi-genre game after all) that you can put together with ease. It has much better mechanics than Rifts or SW IMO.

Should I heed the memes about GURPS? It's certainly mentioned enough, but not often praised.

As for the tactical shooter aspect, that came into concern when I was seeking out a SUPER HERO rpg system to adopt. I hate how there's not crunchy cape games out there. Usually the power bands are abstract or impossible to balance. I ran into that issue when I started up a M&M group once.

I'd play me some Chrome Cowboy

And didn't a fa/tg/uy just post his homebrew a while back that was supposed to be decent? I'd say give that a look cause its short enough other players might actually read it.

Mythras. Dogs uses dice-as-stats and the scenes play out as back and forth conversations that escalate, while Mythras is a more traditional RPG.

Don't pay attention to the memes, no.
GURPS Superheroes are relatively easy to balance, what you're gonna have a problem with is players. Using up a thousand (or more) character points sensibly just isn't possible when you're just starting out. Would be much easier for newbies to start with lowish level one-trick ponies like X-Men.

>Dogs uses dice-as-stats and the scenes play out as back and forth conversations that escalate
that sounds super cool though, but I wonder how much people like that. Conversations I hope equate to a more narrative heavy drive?

I prefer my cape setting deadly, low powered and only for the extremely sharp of wit

Well you can do that too, m8. GURPS by default is pretty deadly, and there's no overall assumption that superheroes are inherently better, it all comes down to how points are spent.

>I prefer my cape setting deadly, low powered and only for the extremely sharp of wit

GURPS is pretty nice for deadly settings imo. Most of the rules make logic sense and ask you to take basic precautions since you don't always have a lot of hp to burn. Nothing teaches a lesson as a gun to the back of the head when the player is used to play pathfinder with characters that have hundreds of hp.

Yes, it's more narative but the dice drive the narative in a logical and tactical way. It's hard to decribe, but Dogs is a really really solid system.

In Dogs, the loser of a conflict can, instead of lose, Escalate; the argument turns into a fistfight, the fistfight turns into a gunfight. Dollars to doughnuts somebody dies if the guns come out, so it creates a dilemma of "is it worth it?"

The frontier towns of some areas are pretty paranoid about their security.

>I want to run sensible but small hard suits

>with an option to take on a bigger one for space battle.

yeah those are certainly up my alley

pic related is my favorite kinda look, maybe barring a little more personalization

Note that Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles are completely different settings though both games use the same system.

What is the name of the main Heavy Gear RPG core book?

.... Heavy Gear RPG

rpgnow.com/product/989/Heavy-Gear-RPG-3rd-Edition-Players-Handbook?it=1

"Requires the use of the Silhouette CORE rulebook(tm) published by Dream Pod 9, Inc."

Try again.

Either way you've got your answer right fucking in front of you.

Also Heavy Gear 1e and 2e are self-contained.

Yeah I know. I own almost all the books.

Go to the heavy gear thread and download stuff for 2e heavy gear.

comicvine.gamespot.com/copperhead-1/4000-464947/

is that loki on the cover?