Retro fantasy art

ITT: retro fantasy art, oil painting, metal-album-tier images

>here, enjoy the use of your left arm
>hey wall, did you know my axe is a flying squirrel
>where the fuck did this glowy arrow come from now my precious strawberry will be lost forever
>look at this shit my feet hurt I'm hungry

>retro
>fantasy
>oil
>metal-album-tier
sorry, i couldn't stop myself[\spoiler]
tfw still being as edgy as when i was 15

literally my favourite representation of elric

Damn, this stuff is good.

>Iberia connected to North Africa
That wouldnt work with the Mediterranian sea still being there, the Mediterranian never recieves enough annual rainfall for the water there to eventually evaporate away, as has historically happened around 7 million years ago
Ree

Nothing is impossible when you've got pre-atlantean eldritch magic at your disposal.

Mongolia is a lake, I see.

>posting Nasmith's characters
>implying he's good for anything but landscapes

I like his characters. They have this bulky and simple look to them that is quite charming.

What's the skeleton's story?

>be sea-barbarian crew
>land on an unexplored island
>it is inhabited by a necromancer living in a tower
>raid the tower, fight with numerous undead
>hgürd is slain
>reach the top of the tower and kill the necromancer
>find some magical rod that raises the dead
>zap it at hgürd
>return to boat
>resume pillage and looting

>what is perspective?

What are these from?

>hurr durr a painting needs perspective to be good

Goddammit, user.

Perspective is one of the most important pillars of painting anything that isn't abstract.

The artist is Vsevolod Borisovich Ivanov. I don't have all of them, there is no official online gallery, afaik. There are poor and good quality version of each painting spread out on various sites, sometimes you stumble upon one you don't have..

What is wrong with it?

Drawings and digital paintings simply pale before true paintings.

>Firebreathing six legged crocodile airship

Who is this artist, this is amazing.

Each medium can produce good and bad. You can shit out sketchy blurry digital shit as much as you can shit out bland, flat paintings. Each medium has its own feel, and its own strengths and weaknesses.

That bird... it reminds me of something... something about gifts...

Looks like it's just about to become post-atlantean. There's a big island in the central Atlantic which is receiving eyeball lightning bolts. Also, the Sahara is a huge bay, northwest Africa is too close to Greece, there's no Adriatic, there's a large island southwest of Ceylon, southeast Asia and what we can see of North America look kind of screwy to me, the Red Sea is a lake, the Caspian Sea is about the size of the Aral Sea c.1900, the Aral Sea doesn't exist, and there's a huge sea in central Asia as previously mentioned, and I'm not sure what we're looking at across the Atlantic from southern Africa. There also seems to be ice covering everything in northern Europe. So I guess this is supposed to be a picture of right around the time Atlantis got wrecked, apparently with a lot of other, less well known changes having occurred between then and now.

Get Lamentations?

>low-key swastica

>The Color Wizards meet to discuss: Is White a Color?

Based pagan Slavonic artistry referencing ancient Indus valley civilizations.

Good eye.

>Frogs Find Females

Why does the guy with the staff have 3 hands?

Maybe a zombie is...uhh, punching through his ribcage to grab his staff? Maybe he cast a Bigby's spell wrong one day?

Fuck if I know, wizards are weird. That's a pretty hilarious catch.

The funny thing about that picture is that everyone is doing something crazy but several are also staring at something horrific off-screen in the bottom-left. What could be so scary that it's making a mage-king with a fire-breathing bull gasp in shock?!?

Another Mage-King with an even BIGGER bull?

this kind of art always feels so much more...

vibrant?
alive?
imaginative?
"realistic"?

...than most of the fantasy art I see floating around. I like it.

Yeah, it's more alive than most of the stuff in modern RPG books, which seems more posed and artificial.

I think you chose a terrible example for that statement.
All of those villains are posing.

Hah, yes, you're right. I'm picking art at random.

>is that Nicholas Cage?

Perhaps it's just a petrified hand gripping the staff.

Kinda boring, but it's plausible.

You're right. The king has a the same crown as the top of staff, and the king has no hands, so the guy holding the staff must have yanked off the king's hands with his things still gripping them. Well done, mystery solved.

Also the second hand is lying at the Kings feet

You know it's a protective symbol the predates the nazis and has been associated with many cultures.

Ever notice how so many of these fantasy artists use the environment (snow, grass, water, mist, etc) to not draw feet?