EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Whats going on in this cards art?: Edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/immortal-corruptor/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-alesha-1/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/stonekiller-2012-08-08
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

... How difficult would it be to build a */* creature deck?

There're at least a dozen in the last few sets.

White > Blue > Black > Red > Green

value frog user still here
eager to talk about my deck with helpful user

Thats funny. I was just thinking that. Was about to do a search on gatherer and check what my options would be.

>Whats going on in this cards art?: Edition
The golem is carrying that pillar for the lady. What's difficult to understand about that?

Doesn't sound like it'd be very fun to track those *s throughout the game

They're almost universally = number of critters.

Though there are a few tokens that come in as clones, and other clone options.

I am thinking of putting this in my zur deck just as a fun boardwipe. Thoughts?

>every single Lhurgoyf
It doesn't matter if Tarmogoyf and Mortivore are the only notable ones

The guy knocking rituals is objectively wrong on that front. Since your deck draws a fuckton of cards, rituals are good both early and late (early it speeds you up, later it gives you the tempo you need to play your huge hand)
Necropotence or Diabolic Revelation could be good too

I am inclined to agree, user. I am skeptical of some of the suggestions. I think the deck might be a little more subtle with the landfall subtype, to its benefit and to its detriment.

Dilemma. I'm charmed by the concept of a Xenagos deck, but in practice a lot of people say it's one note and gets boring.

depends, user
is winning boring to you?

Does anybody else have problems with wanting to choose flavor over function for their card choices? Like, putting Eldrazi into a General Tazri deck, no matter how much it works it just feels wrong?

Has anyone picked up any cool cards lately?
I just got this guy in the mail, built a fun deck around him already.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/immortal-corruptor/

That user here

>early it speeds you up
Yes.

>later it gives you the tempo you need to play your huge hand
Do you know what also does that? More lands on the battlefield or a rock/dork that taps for big mana. Dark Ritual generates a net of 2 mana, which is comparable to tapping a Worn Powerstone once. The deck in question is very battle cruiser, so a permanent ramp like will generate mana on multiple turns and if it's an ETB dork like Wood Elves you can sacrifice it for additional value.

Other than what I've already said, multi mana lands like Coffers, Crypt of Agadeem, and Nykthos is all I've got for suggestions.

>problems
It's not a problem, I consider it a fun challenge to build a strong deck without breaking flavor. It's not hard, either. Do you have a problem sticking eldrazi in every one of your decks? Tazri has access to every card in the game and you can't build it without jamming in a titan?

I don't have a Tazri deck, I was just using it as an example of the deck flavor not working.

Not really, but the complaints I've seen all seem to agree that the deck's gameplan becomes real same-y very quickly. It's not tutoring for the exact same card(s) every game like some decks, but everything's going to be doing the same thing.

user please call it 5-colour anuses

>but everything's going to be doing the same thing.
hallmark of an effective deck

Rainblowhole?
Omni-Starfish?
The brown-eye pride parade?

I say it adds fun to the deckbuilding. I feel it wasn't right either to add Bruna, Fading Light and Elesh Norn on my OG Avacyn deck, and I added new Odric and new Thalia on it instead.

Post secret tech

Fair enough I suppose.

I just won a 6 man F4A by infinite turns. It felt good to win but dirty at the same time, will I get accustomed to this feeling?

No. If it feels dirty at all then you are like the rest of us non-dickhead people. The only way you don't care doing annoying shit like that all the time is if it never effects you in the first place.

you'll get accustomed to nobody wanting to play with you

This is why I don't play anything beyond 4p EDH.

Either someone plays a game of Solitaire and ends the game nothing anyone did before hand matters, or the game takes five hours.

This guy can be pretty hilarious since most edh decks run at least a couple good equipment, at worst he can pull off a pair of boot.

That's good.

It was a janky ass combo I would have never pulled off if I didn't get the proper card draw. My group runs a few infinite combos that we all agree to concede on this was just the first time I ever pulled one off

>6 man F4A
Just break up into two 3 mans, Jesus Christ. To answer your question though there is absolutely nothing wrong with going infi.

My group enjoys 5 man one-of-each monocolor EDH.

That sounds pretty fun. I've always liked the Idea of "themed" edh games

Star? That would at least mitigate the never ending game problem of 5+ FFA.

That's what it went by, yeah. Good times. We'll even half-roleplay it, calling each other by "[Color] Mage" as we play.
"Are you sure you want to do that, Blue Mage?" is the most common thing to hear.

This is a pretty hilarious way to either fuck an opponent's had OR help them grab an answer to a more dangerous threat

Is it playable?

Absolutely

that's very playable, unless your in a game with some serious ramp most players aren't going to want to throw away that much mana just to prevent you from drawing 1 card and that upkeep cost is pretty manageable.

Think Ayli or Sadistic Hypnotist is a better choice for a sac outlet in an Alesha deck?

just got this
guess the deck

Zedruu or no balls.

Cool, I'll see if I can find a slot for it. I tried it years ago and didn't find it very helpful, but I was just starting EDH at the time and mostly played 1v1 with a friend who only shat out creatures

I've had good luck with the Sadistic Hypnotist in a mono-black deck. I suspect instant-speed free sacrifice isn't that important to you, otherwise I'd recommend Viscera Seer.

Can someone explain to me why Zur the Enchanter is run in Scion of the Ur-Dragon decks?

My friend runs Zur in his, and he say its to grab tech like O-ring, Phyrexian Arena or what have you, but...isn't the gist of Scion to send things to the 'yard or some combo like Moltensteel/Skittles and Savage Ventmaw + Aggravated Assault?

I don't know, Zur just feels like it's less impactful. You're better of committing to the schtick of the deck, no?

Since no one's done it yet, Post em'

Viscera's already in there actually, I'm just adding some extra options.

I'm thinking of making a Star Boxset for my playgroup - three commander decks per color. Would this be too boring? Should I have a mono-color set, and two dual-color sets? Or is there enough variety in just mono-color to make three decks for each?

What the fuck am I doing? Is this feasible? I'm just looking to be able to play star without having to rely on folks building their own decks, then losing those players or requiring them to be at every meetup just to play the variant.

Is kaalia worth playing?

Post template

Playing, sure. Buying, nah.

When she works, she destroys the table.
Thus, everyone hates her out of the game any time she so much as she tries to be cast.

Show us your Chainer deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-alesha-1/

Here, this is what I'm working with at the moment.

Very nasty and fun. I would use it.

At worst he's a 2/2 haste for 5.
In red.

I don't know that I would call them cool, but I did grab Sorin LoI, Sad Sorin, and Elspeth KE for my Marchesa superfriends, which brings the total to 15.

Between Elspeth, Ajani, and Sorin, I get to Voltron Marchesa without going Voltron.

That's a woman

These things are always awful and autistic.

I got a $50 coupon from eBay, so I put in a low bid on a Crucible of Worlds. Nobody else bid against it, so I ended up getting the Crucible, a copy of The Gitrog, and half a dozen $1-2 cards to fit in the deck.

It's going to be a while before they show up, but that should be fun.

I could say the same of you.

Wait until Return to Alara when we will inevitably get a new Kaalia.

She's from Alara? I don't recall that blurb from the first Commander release mentioning which plane she's from

One of the most underplayed cards in the format.

Hypnotist, but why not both?

There are only two types of person in the world: autists who act like attention whores and autists who call out attention whores.

None of you have any idea what the fuck the term autist even means anymore.

She shows up in part 2 of:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/stonekiller-2012-08-08

She got a story at around M13 telling of her backstory. Her real name was Lia or something, the Kaa is a title from the leonin.

I think there was an Uncharted Realms article about her. She was a young red mage from what was once Bant picked up by some cat people from postNaya who were hunting Nefarox.

Nefarox killed her village and the cats in an attempt to raise a dragon for his army. I think Kaalia managed to destroy the dragon's skeleton in time though.

>Play Sen Triplets
>Target an Opponent with the ability
>Head Games them
>Tutor through their entire deck, grabbing cards I want to cast that turn, and basic lands for the rest
>mfw they're left with a handful of trash and I've gotten a better Conflux for 5 mana.

Just difficulty finding room for all the toys I suppose. Posted the list above if you feel like suggesting a cut.

I forget the whole story but she's basically an outcast from Bant.

We still don't know where Nekusar is from.

Mystic Remora should be evaluated on similar grounds to Rhystic Study. It's a tax-card, where if it doesn't tax and slow down the game, as it should, it instead will draw cards for you.

Because of that, it fits into an early-game Stax package quite cleanly. It's not hard stax, as it's not a definite denial of resources or mana. But because of it's low mana cost, it fits a role that Rhystic Study can hit too late for.

It's very nice to stall people's early game plans just because you hit this for a bit. Then you drop a more legitimate piece of slowness when you're ready. It's a great card overall, and fits into the strongest archetype in the format.

I'm not in love with Utter End or Break Through the Line. While we're at it I think Comeuppance is a great Sunforger target that will punish/deter a lot of attacks against you.

In my experience you will draw cards. I'm one of a handful of players in my area that pay one damn mana for Rhystic Study, no one is going to pay 4. The trick is to play it at a point where the cumulative upkeep doesn't paralyze you before you get a satisfactory number of cards.

So, I picked up a foil Atarka, World Render and a couple other dragons, and I think I might try and make something out of them. I figure the deck practically builds itself, but I was just wondering if any of you guys knew some funny R/G Dragon tech.

Also, I have a CMA Sylvan Library sitting around doing fuck all and I don't have much experience playing the card, would that work out well in there?

Not tech per se, but Savage Ventmaw is one of the things that goes infinite with Aggravated Assault. Sylvan Library is always good; be sure to play cards that care about the top of your library and some shuffle effects like fetches

I like it because the errata means it hits everyone. It's a very tasty turn 1 drop

Comeuppance is interesting, thanks.

Don't think I have too many creatures?

>We still don't know where Nekusar is from.

We don't know where most of the commanders are from, with the exception of the 2015 cast who all made it pretty obvious.

>Don't think I have too many creatures?
Not at all. Alesha decks should be creature heavy.

I thought we were actually aware of most of the commanders and the ones not tied to a specific plane were in the minority. Even 2025 had Arjun though iirc he was the only one of the bunch to have no specified home plane.

>Rashmi used to cost 5 and they decided to push it down to 4 and change it 'each turn' because they'd love it to show up in constructed

Someone please take control of UG away from Wizards.

Do you suppose either Grenzo would offer me much? I rather like Havoc Raiser and I'm kinda looking for a place to fit him. I think I have some of the things he wants but maybe not enough evasion.

>"We designed Depala specifically for commander"

The deck is about 1/3 creatures so Dungeon Warden might be good. How often do you have an empty hand or excess mana laying around?

2014 and 2015 all make it pretty obvious where theirs are coming from, with the exception of Ob Nixilis and Arjun, so ignoring those, let's see:

>Known
Kaalia: Alara
Edric: Fiora
Karador: Theros
Ruhan: Ir
The Mimeoplasm: Muraganda
Derevi : Alara
Jeleva: Innistrad
Prossh: Dominaria
Shattergang Brothers: Ravnica
Sydria: Fiora

>Unknown
Tariel
Basandra
Animar
Riku
Ghave
Vish Kal
Zedruu
Nin
Damia
Skullbriar
Oloro
Marath
Roon
Nekusar
Gahiji

Come on now.

EVERYONE bitches about "every boros commander is all just cheap combat tricks! Give us diversity! "

We get a commander that isn't strictly combat based in boros. She's not only dwarf tribal, but uses vehicles too. She almost makes up for the awful card draw in red/white with her "becomes tapped " ability . Aka when she pilots a vehicle.

I think she's great.

>"Adriana, Captain of the Guard is probably our best take on combining muiltiplayer politics with combat-based fun"

Empty hand usually only after a card effect, but excess mana with some frequency. I find I don't need that much turn to turn if I can keep Alesha alive.

What happened to your little bro?

Marath is from Naya (Alara)

who in your opinion is the most bro tier commander?
hard mode: no phelddagrif

I still wanna see the Roon deck

Dungeon Warden seems like a pretty good place to put it then. He doesn't even need counters to fish out most of the creatures in your deck.

Source?

Best I can find it only says Marath is from a "plane ruled by shamans".

Roon looks like he's from Bant

But Depala IS just another "turn shit sideways and kill people with combat damage" commander. Her ability will only occasionally draw you a card, which will be a very specific card and it will cost you a buttload of mana.

I would've preferred they did red's impulsive draw or looting or some mentor of the meek style card instead. It's trash.

Riku is from Kamigawa, I believe.
Nin might be from Mirrodin, as she's a 4 arms Vedalken.