What is the deal with players who play primarily alchemists (or some analogous class) having an undying fetish of their...

What is the deal with players who play primarily alchemists (or some analogous class) having an undying fetish of their characters wearing a plague doctor mask all the time?

It doesnt even have to be their primary class, but if they can have it, they will try to get the mask.

I get that it has some nice aesthetics, but for fucks sake, when it becomes a constant across groups and settings, the alchemist players getting the plague doctor mask becomes a forced meme / bad trope.

Did you guys have the same experience? How did you try to avoid/combat it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZOqpiOQ2c7o
youtu.be/WPZVGpvHdtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have this issue currently, and the player slowed it down after people stop saying "Plague mask AGAIN!"

I have reason to believe they're baiting for attention, and the phase will end like a goth phase would for most teens.

I'm playing a plague doctor RIGHT NOW, and she's not even an alchemist. She's a light cleric.
The reason for their polarity is... Plague doctors look cool! They have this spooky, unusual costume that nobody else really used - and unlike, say, ninjas, they actually used it historically. However, despite that, plague doctors have almost minimal presence in popular culture (I can't remember them appearing in video games outside of Darkest Dungeon, for example), so they're not an overused cliche yet.

I recommend you do not try to change them. If they are thst annoying, kick them from the group. As boring as it sounds, some people can only roleplay one trope or character type. My players made the mistake if pressuring our rogue player (who has played rogues for 4 years now) into playing a cleric, and his enthusiasm and overall energy levels have plummeted. Not everyone can do every role. Let him be his eternal alchemist.

Why do wizards insist on their fucking fetish for robes and shit?

Have you ever noticed how EVERY GODDAMN GUNSLINGER wears holsters? I get it, cowboys are cool. But not ever gunslinger needs a holster, right?

Or, christ, paladins and knights and their fucking armor. Armor this, armor that. You can wear something else, you know?

But user, the class is called alchemist, not plageu doctor.

>holsters
wouldn't spurs or a ten gallon hat be more accurate

Plague Doctors were in the multiplayer of the Assassin's Creed 2 games

I think one of them showed up in an Assassin's Creed game, and there was a costume resembling on in Bloodborne. So they're gaining traction.

Medieval alchemists weren't known for masks though

Notice how Gunslingers are banned from most peoples' games and Wizards get whined about at every venture on Veeky Forums and how most GMs deliberately dick over Paladins and Knights?

I know a guy who got a tattoo of that fucking mask.

Plague doctor went from being my least liked to most used class in darkest dungeon. Dem double backline stuns, so good.

It's cool looking but was actually designed to serve as a functional piece of protective everyday wear. Unlike other fancy masks they were made of durable materials like thick glass and leather, and they're something that someone who works with the sort of caustics, combustibles, and heavy metals that were used in practical alchemy probably should have kept on hand especially if the planned to do the sort of glass-water-baloon-full-of-scary-stuff that TTRPG's often fluff it as.

Frankly, I think it's just a side effect of TTRPG's tendency to just smush everything together into one big generic pseudo-European setting coupled with excessive use of "rule of cool" to excuse poorly thought out worldbuilding which then results in even more "rule of cool" spackling to cover it over.

Much as I dig the Plague Doctor aesthetic, I've never seen a take on the alchemist as a PC class I actually liked. They've all seemed like solutions in search of a problem, and that's not really much of a foundation for good gameplay.

Wasn't the point of the "beak" was it was a reservoir for potpourri?

I think these two have got it right. It looks cool, it has some foundation in history (be it slightly later than the medieval period) and the primitive
gas/surgical mask (I know, it's neither) goes nicely with professions that might conceivably come into contact with air-borne germs, noxious chemicals etc.

Yes, to keep the 'bad air' out. It was though the plague was airborne and that air came from the plague victims. So close, yet so far away from being any kind of right.

Because holy shit the plague doctor look is iconic and has been for hundreds of years?

I mean, that is like asking why fighters want fancy plate instead of arming maille

Because it's someones personal taste. It's a generally cool design with historical backing and you seem to be overreacting. Stop treating it like the plague.

i use one but its because i spread the plague

>thousands

This.

I never get why people treat some character concepts like a plague

It might help to know that the Plague Doctor Mask was the earliest version of the Gas Mask.

And was also in line with the then prevailing miasma theory of disease.

Also they would burn incense or some herbs inside the beaks in order to scare away the plague and act as a purifier.

Were there other forms of early gas mask? Surely if you're playing in a fantasy setting you could make up something of a similar design.

Yeah, I also hate it when my players have fun.

I try and control it by making them miserable and later vent by means of shitposting on Veeky Forums.

it looks cool

>burn incense or some herbs inside the beaks
>burn
>inside the beak
I have never heard that.
Potpourri right in your nostrils, yes, but not lit incense.
Though, to be fair, it wouldn't take much for me to believe people would do a dumbfuck thing like that.

>Alchemist
>Plague Mask
Well that seems odd.

Most of my alchemists are simply eccentric (usually old) dudes who suffer from mercury exposure.

uhh gas mask, fucking terribad dm is you

I'm going to see if I have any plague mask character art sitting around, I'll post it here if I find it.

1/?

2/?

3/?

>Alchemists used gasmasks.
>Alchemists were concerned for their own well being.
lol

4/?

5/?

6/?
A bit borderline as to whether it's a plague mask or not but it's a beak so whatever

Okay, this is awesome.

that's a really nice coat there user. can i borrow it?

7/?

Hey man, can't just up and die before achieving immortality

THANKS FOR THE FUCKING TRIGGER WARNING

THERE'S NOT ENOUGH INSIGHT IN THE WORLD TO SEE A PLANE IN WHICH YOU'RE NOT A FAGGOT

8/?

9/?

I think that's as many as I can find, lads.
I have a question though, do you think the infatuation with plague masks overlaps with an enjoyment of Venetian masks? Because it sure does for me.

I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. That whole time period is staring to get romanticized, and I partially blame Assasin's Creed for it.

I mean, I don't really have a problem with it myself. I suppose I will if it starts to get stale for me, but I still really love the aesthetic.

Hey user, thanks for making the thread! Now I gotta play a plague doctor themed alchemist.

what do you mean user?

Oh. Oh God.

every alchemist PC I've ever encountered had an open secret that they were trying to become Batman. So thankfully, no plague doctor masks

user, talk to me. i want to help you though whatever problems you are having

What if my character IS a plague doctor, and an alchemist seemed like the best mechanical representation of that character's abilities?

Sure. I'll talk to you.

Just come meet me on these stairs.

What about post-apocalyptic plague doctors?

can i bring my pets?

I'd be rather uncomfortable. Let's just have a bit of chat on these stairs here.

Dammit user, think of the children!

Plague Doctor masks were stuffed full of various herbs so there's a supposed use to wearing the mask. Especially when there's magical herbs and shit in a lot of settings.

No, just hundreds. They started wearing them around the 1700's.

For fuck's sake, guys, can you not come up with this ridiculous shit just to show everyone how much you hate everything?

you know what, user brings up an excellent point. let me go grab my daughter and we can all have a family/friend night on the town

HAH! Leaving the Cathedral so soon, Crowsteel!? Have you not forgotten? Have you not forgotten your pathing? How does it feel, knowing that your own damned power is slowly killing you? You've fallen for my stairs-trap, and now you'll pay for eileen!

youtu.be/ZOqpiOQ2c7o
youtu.be/WPZVGpvHdtQ

Test rolling

TRY again?

Dice+18d6

I don't know about other players OP, but I did this once and it was brilliant.
My character wore the Plague mask the whole game with dark flowing robes that went down to the ground. Constantly bought alchemist fire everywhere it was available.
The party thought I was just playing some fucked up wizard. "user, why are you always trying to help me flank, you're a magic user?"
Not only was I also multi-classing thief, I would say to the DM, "I cast Ventriloquism" or pass him a note when ever I wanted to use a different voice.
>The whole game I was really pic related in disguise the whole game.

Rolled 7, 3, 4 = 14 (3d8)

Can I not roll from phone?

> The jokes on you, I was just pretending to be retarded!

I mean, if you're going to do something like that, fucking commit. Get use magic item and don't flank obviously. Hint, if people are asking you about it, you're being too obvious.

You're a terrible spy.

Why the fuck were you even using another voice? That was random as shit. Like, you just wanted me to know that you threw your voice a bunch for extra randumb confusion?

Please, either get better at writing or playing, ideally both.

> Dress like a Alchemist and buy Alchemist fire (ignoring all other skills and traits).

> Flanks like a thief.

> Party somehow thinks he's a wizard because he throws his voice.

Like, your entire post is an incoherent word stew when examined closer. So you were a wizard multi-classed into thief dressed as an Alchemist?

You were an alchemist and multi-classed thief, but nobody noticed that you were chucking and chugging potions for your spells and so they thought you were a wizard?

I mean, if you have the MAD for being an alchemist, multi-classing thief isn't a bad plan I guess.

But overall your post was bad, and it made your story sound bad, and even cleaned up it still sounds like you were dicking around for the sake of it because you wanted to be spy vs. spy. And your party noticing that you were acting all fucked up in your role ruined the one point of reason in your post.

Nigga, I don't even play an Alchemist and I wear that shit. I'm a noble, and peasants stink, and monster guts stink, and the dwarf is actually surprisingly clean. I had to apologize for my misconceptions of his people. I guess the whole grooming thing is important when you have a beard that big. Can't imagine why I thought they would ever stink in the first place. And he keeps the half-Orc clean. Oh, he says it's distant hill giant, but those tusks don't lie.

The Elf smells like nothing at all. Definitely not like the woods, I grew up hunting in them myself you know. He's always got some blooming flowers or growing greenery on him, so it was tricky to find out. Personally I think he's trying a bit too hard, none of the elves back home ever did all that. Bastard tried to tell us his smell changed with his mood.

But yes. I see no reason to expose myself to the horrid stench of justice, nor to possible contaminants.

Anyways, I feel I've worked it in to my mummery fairly well.

That's right. I'm a bard. I also manage the money and if I'm honest provide most of it. Another bonus of the mask, it hides my noble countenance so I can move unhindered among the masses.

I mean, I'm a fourth son but still a son of a noble house!

>I mean, I'm a fourth son but still a son of a noble house!
That would explain your need to egowank at everyone.

If alchemists didn't wear masks the people around them would be constantly captivated by their beauty

Did you even see the image?
>Why the fuck were you even using another voice? That was random as shit. Like, you just wanted me to know that you threw your voice a bunch for extra randumb confusion?
Kenku have the ability to use Mimicry/Ventriloquism at will, which is a boon in any setting. Obviously just using it at will gives away everything.
OP argues that the Plague Doctor mask is an overdone trope. It's not when used as a disguise. How else would raven-folk blend into humanoid society? But some people need everything spoon fed to them.
>Like, your entire post is an incoherent word stew when examined closer.
Yes, unless you examine the entire post including the image.
You know what, never mind you dense mother fucker. Have a PDF and figure it out.

They're pretty scary.

It's a moderately sensible and thematic way to give your character a fairly aesthetic look. What's so wrong with it OP? If you don't like it just make fun of them for doing it over and over again and challenge them to make something different.

Then they'll make an Alchemist that has an 'elephant mask' based off old WW1 gasmasks. It makes sense since it'll be easier for them to shove more herbs into there and they don't have to worry about the beak bumping into things or poking out someone's eye. Everyone is happy!

> I roll to intimidate.
> That won't be necessary.

Yeah, that's how I'm playing the character.

He's an obnoxious dickhead and I love it

Actually, the post does help since I didn't have the errata for Kenku.

And your post was still written like you were in the throes of a stroke.

You'll note as well that I didn't begrudge you dressing up like a plague doctor, just that you didn't commit and thereby ruined it.

You also still haven't told me why they thought you were a wizard. I mean, was it just the mimicry and voice throwing?

I guess if that is true, then you're in good company with the other players.

Hey, he apologized to the Dwarf about thinking he was going to smell! And while he may have noticed that the elf is trying too hard with his "one with nature" shtick, he hasn't called him on it.

And peasants DO smell, almost as bad as the monsters.

Also he might use the mask for drugs as well during combat. My plan is to eventually upgrade it into a magical device capable of sending out clouds of drugs to affect the party or anyone nearby. Use Magic Device bitches! Haha like we'll ever get there.

>You also still haven't told me why they thought you were a wizard.
Again, I guess you need spoon fed.
Saying "I cast..X" usually indicates that one is playing a wizard. Creating any sort of sound that can create a chain reaction of events with PCs/NPCs is powerful. Some may say it's magical the things that you can do with that.
>You'll note as well that I didn't begrudge you dressing up like a plague doctor, just that you didn't commit and thereby ruined it.
What I committed to, (concealing my race,) I pulled off wonderfully.

We found he, begin the purge

plague doctors are cool
player wants to be cool
player will play as a plague doctor

very simple

Ignorance and rule of cool. Alchemists should have stained hands, burn scars, and other signs of working mainly in a lab that may explode/catch fire at any time. They should dress thickly, have eye/hand protection, and even a primitive gas mask. An alchemist (at least one who has been an alchemist for a while) should have almost ocd levels of preparedness and finely tuned senses (so he knows when to run).

>it has some nice aesthetics
It doesn't.

>plague doctors look cool!
If you're 12.
>they're not an overused cliche yet
Yes they are.

Plague doctor masks are not an integral part of an alchemist costume.

> I'm pulling off my disguise perfectly, nobody suspects I'm a Kenku!

Except they know that you never show your face or body, and despite being an Alchemist (I'm assuming that's what your other class was, and that you therefore are using potions.) you act like a thief.

And you make a big deal about being a wizard because of your gimmick that it sounds like your GM lets you abuse.

Like, did you ever stop to think that maybe the best way to blend in isn't to be as mysterious as inhumanly possible?

I'm very disappointed in your party that they've actually noted all these things, and haven't at least got a betting pool for what you actually have under the clothes.

Maybe you're undead, maybe you just look like one due a an alchemical mishap, maybe you're actually a Clockwork man, maybe you're a fucking Kenku since they're a known race especially around Waterdeep it turns out and the whole "mimicry at will" thing is also done by other birds, and nothing fuels creativity and inquisitiveness like winning a bet.

I hope to god you actually talk to one of the players OOC and get them to set up a wager, and then learn what each person bet on you being, and then clearly but subtly demonstrate that their choice is impossible, so now they're desperately trying to keep the others from prying and eventually you have them all refusing to look into it so they don't lose.

Maybe next time you can show a little fucking subtlety. Try to hide your racial abilities, using them discretely to affect things without alerting your party. Play the part of the alchemist in combat, or at least make your flanks look accidental and have a nod and a wink to the GM so they think you just rolled lucky.

You're just lucky your party has the inquisitiveness of a stump.

I was going to find a picture of a guy in a trenchcoat and a fedora with big sunglasses staring at someone through holes cut in a newspaper, but I'm lazy. Imagine it instead.

That's you. That's what you're doing.

Aw damn, guess what I don't give a fuck.

You can't stop me this time, Autismo man!

Personally, I just love rambling on about foul humours and then recommending leeching followed by amputation, while refusing to wash my hands because as a doctor I'm a gentleman.

It isn't a cool design, and it's not a matter of taste.

Actually, yes, I can stop you.

Why do all world war 1 soldiers have gas masks? Why do all surgeons have surgical masks? Why do all construction workers have helmets? Because it's practical for the job. If an office worker got to wear a spooky cool mask that helps him type, he totally would.

Plague doctors masks were mainly for stopping fleas not fumes.

Congrats, you're officially the winner of the coveted "most autistic post in the thread" award. You've earned it, my friend.

He's not playing a plague doctor. He's playing an alchemist. The mask is not part of an alchemist's uniform.

It doesn't matter anyway. Plague doctor masks are stupid, and if you don't think they are you're wrong.