Veeky Forums discussion thread

The last thread made it to 200 posts before being deleted. Let's see if we can reach a consensus.

So it seems like one legitimate opposition to quests is that they saturate the front page despite being just a relative handful of posters.

This is a fair concern, so a proposed fix to this is that anything with 'Quest' in the title only bumps to page 2. Perhaps also combined with only bumping to page 2 when the OP posts.

Furthermore, the board on which a quest is decided to belong is dependent on the theme of the quest.

This would solve a concerns from both sides of the argument:

>Threads take up the front page
solved

>Quests get no exposure confined to /qst/
solved, as catalogue browsers will still see them

>Anime quests aren't Veeky Forums related
Anime quests would go to /a/. And also only get bumped to page 2.

Any other concerns that need addressing?

Note: "I hate quests they shouldn't be on Veeky Forums" isn't a concern. Nor is "antiquesters shitposted so I will as well"

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11252294/r
archive.4plebs.org/tg/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49328678/#49328678
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49392301
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49397649
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP - genuine question: are you autistic?

Alright, here's how I'd do it as a mod:

- Veeky Forums would self-moderate, as it should. Current Veeky Forums mod needs to go and stay go.

- /qst/ would be changed to /fg/ and all Forum Games would be played there, like Risk, CYOA, Chess, etc, as well as quests

- Veeky Forums would sanction specific quests to , as agreed upon by a Veeky Forums Quest thread General. Veeky Forums quests must have an original or Veeky Forums related setting. No German Hollow Quest on Veeky Forums

- ERP would tentatively return, making us a Semi-blueboard. We'd have Heretical Love Quest, provided Papa-N decided to run it again, and a Magical Realm General. Both would be marked NSFW.

- Emphasis would be put on generating content. Veeky Forums needs to start getting Shit DONE. The last really great idea we had was the Huge Marines, which was half-assed through three threads then dropped off into oblivion.

That all sounds hilariously awful.

The real wuestion is how autistic is he.
Antiquestfags were autistic enough to whine for eight years and actively spam/ban evade for four.

How does he measure up to that? How long will he keep it up? Only time will tell.

Let's see if we can reach a consensus.

So it seems like one legitimate opposition to quests is that they saturate the front page despite being just a relative handful of posters.

This is a fair concern, so a proposed fix to this is that anything with 'Quest' in the title only bumps to page 2. Perhaps also combined with only bumping to page 2 when the OP posts.

Furthermore, the board on which a quest is decided to belong is dependent on the theme of the quest.

This would solve a concerns from both sides of the argument:

>Threads take up the front page
solved

>Quests get no exposure confined to /qst/
solved, as catalogue browsers will still see them

>Anime quests aren't Veeky Forums related
Anime quests would go to /a/. And also only get bumped to page 2.

Any other concerns that need addressing?

Note: "I hate quests they shouldn't be on Veeky Forums" isn't a concern. Nor is "antiquesters shitposted so I will as well"

I am fine with these changes, but it wont happen, as we no longer have moot.

>The last thread made it to 200 posts before being deleted

The more important problem is why do these threads get deleted all the time.

I do not like this at all.

Saying the same thing I say every thread.

/pol/ needs better containment. A simple sticky detailing that contemporary political discussion goes on /pol/ should be fine.

Shilling needs to stop and be punished.

Rules need to be enforced fairly and transparently.

Autistic questspammers should be banned, the same with most other degenerate shitheads who insist on posting the same cyclical arguments every day.

The consensus is we don't want quests on Veeky Forums. Now fuck off, you giant autistic man-baby.

I think there should just be a checkbox for "Game/ not game" instead of checking the subject field. Otherwise "I need a good quest to send my players on" would get blocked.

Yeah, I don't go on /qa/ much, but it seems to be a common occurrence across the site.

i know you're saying you hate shills because mods agree with them and don't try to ban them even if they're in the wrong, but uh

if i were making a game for a niche market and decided to come here? i think i'd have every right to tell people "i made this, check it out" which you'd call shilling.

shilling is talking actively about Veeky Forums content you wonderful man

Not the consensus
strawpoll.me/11252294/r

Either way, due to the nature of the conflict, the whining will last a decade unless antiquestfags are less autistic than antiquestfags.

Er, unless questfags are less autistic.

I keep having to remind people of the reality of the infinite whiners, and am getting messy

can you just get banned already? please?

20 fucking people saying "bring them back" isn't majority, clownshit. mass majority is actively ignoring shit like this and enjoying the new and more game-oriented landscape the change has created.

Is there something inherently wrong with quests having their own board? I mean, it's not like it's hard to check two separate boards throughout the day.

We should put one of these in the OP next time.

I wont get banned because i am a largely neutral party who doesnt make these threads and instead helps fill people in on info.

Info like how banning will never solve this problem, as the antiquestfags have shown with their ban evasion.

i'm 90% certain the true reasoning is quest authors are crying that they aren't getting more exposure and blaming the board split for it when in reality they're just bad writers and nobody wants to play their game.

but what do I know? I'd just filter "Quest" when they were around.

Can certainly agree with this entire post. I left Veeky Forums a long time ago because quests made it impossible for small threads to get off the ground and practically made the board unusable in certain ways. I only really came back recently because they're gone.

In fact the only reason I'm in this thread at all is because someone bitched about it elsewhere.

I figure QM posts should bump to page 1. This wouldn't be often enough to really bother those who don't use the catalog, yet often enough to offer them some exposure there. Other than that, having normal user posts only bump to page 2 seems reasonable.

When said board is practically abandoned by the mods and they pay no attention to any user feedback or discussion on how to improve things? Everything is wrong.

Shilling, in my understanding, is advertising the purchase or consumption of something off-site for monetary gain. Specifically, the kind that bothers me are linking various blogs, and various retailers using our board for advertising space.

It's fine to say "i've made a fun rpg, want to try it out?" but it needs to be Veeky Forums related. You can mechanically discuss what works and what doesn't work in your system, how it's different from other systems, and what neat things you can do in it. You can't be like "look at this rpg I made with steampunk elements, please buy it" because that has more to do with selling your product than discussing the merits of a particular rpg system.

Same goes for that one alter-user in /edhg/. He's a cool guy, posts his tumblr occasionally, but is generally a productive member of the community who uses his tumblr as a container for the Veeky Forums related art he does. While that can quickly lead to other people shitposting their tumblrs, the point is that he's a constructive member of the community, his art is Veeky Forums related, and he doesn't advertise, he simply has everything he's made categorized for easy viewing.

I think if things fufill the "spirit" of Veeky Forums stimulate discussion related to a Veeky Forums archetype, show users where to specifically consume Veeky Forums related goods without being ripped off, or displays Veeky Forums related content are fine, but the second it becomes advertising for momentary gain, it deserves to be removed.

That doesnt explain the massive drop in post count across established quests

Yeah, we see this lie all the time.

Someone got their feelings hurt by its creation(op) so he's gonna get revenge by constantly spamming this thread.

And it works because people here are reactionary retards.

Don't bother responding I've already left the thread.

The fact you think I'm lying is more telling about you than it is me. Pure projection.

Small threads that never got off the ground happen right now. If the thread is a worthy topic, it'll get conversation.

Whatcha think about generals and filename threads?

Quite a lot, mostly involving seperating community activities from communities.

Turns out a massive part of quest participation was random Veeky Forums guys dropping in.

real talk, why are people so opposed to the idea of having a dedicated board for quests?
did people bitch about Veeky Forums like this back when it was made to get warhammer wednesdays off of /b/?

>did people bitch about Veeky Forums like this back when it was made to get warhammer wednesdays off of /b/?

Warhammer threads are still allowed on /b/.

Bretty good bait

Honestly, quests are a pain in the ass.

Let's say that my interests include WH40K and Magic. In the current situation, all threads about TTRPGS are irrelevant to me. Sure, there are a LOT of TTRPG threads, but there are likely to be a mix of WH40K and Magic threads on page 1 too. However, quests fill up the board, spreading the threads I may have interest in and making it a pain to go find them. Yes, I could filter them, but when a filter cuts off at least a quarter of the board (and that's on a slow day) the problem isn't that I'm not filtering them. Quests and normal RPGs are different enough that most people coming on Veeky Forums for Veeky Forums-related (for the purposes of this discussion, this doesn't include quest) threads. If they have to wade through or filter quests, that's not something they should have to do if a quest board ALREADY EXISTS.

Generals are for Veeky Forums-related topics like WH40K, MTG, and TTRPGs. Quest threads are an entirely different beast. Filename threads aren't really related, but they're a bit of a board tradition - plus, there's only one of them at any given time if the mods are doing their job, so they're that much easier to scroll past.

They bitch because they didnt want the board, and it was made entirely because some autists made metashitpost threads like this for four years.

Meanwhile, people who were going to Veeky Forums wanted Veeky Forums

Generals only work if people post in the associated general instead of starting a shit 8 reply thread. If you pop into the 5e general to talk about designing encounters in 5e, awesome. If you make a whole new thread specifically about encounter design in 5e, then why have the fucking general?

Filename threads are good to sift through and very occasionally have something decent, but it's akin to panning for gold just like the rest of the board

The only good general is WIP.

Generals are a necessary evil. The argument is simple:
>Would you rather a few magic-related threads
or
>10,000 individual magic related threads flooding the board.

You can't discuss edh in modern or standard in legacy because they're fundamentally different groups.

Filename threads are fine. Every board has them, and while Veeky Forums's aren't particularly amazing, some things are mildly amusing and they're usually Veeky Forums related in-jokes. If the quality increased dramatically, it wouldn't be an issue.

>Quarter of the board
Funny, the archives disagree with your basic premise.

Because a quest board literally can't have the threads about mostly nothing, the roughage, and unlike a general board, it's non - trival to find an active thread you like.

This.

You can still do warham weds.

Because it kills questing. There is already a massive drop in participation even in the big name quests. The smaller quests don't even get more than a handful of actives, if that. Why is that? It turns out that people who don't know what quests are don't want to go to the questing board. Further, even people who DO know what they are aren't drawn into quests by seeing something Veeky Forums which might interest them.

For other niche boards, this is alright, as those hobbies exist outside of Veeky Forums. Questing, however, is a niche within a niche within a small portion of the internet. Nobody will ever know what they are or even where to find them, thus as old blood loses interest and leaves, it will inevitably die as no new blood replaces them.

cite your claim or delete your post faggot

My main issue with quests was that fukken half the OP's wouldn't put "quest" in the title, and I'd have to filter them individually. I realize that the vast majority of Veeky Forums and the rest of Veeky Forums are autismal deviants, but it makes it exponentially harder to filter out all the sperglords trying to be the little girl when half of quest OP's don't have the common decency to put "quest" in the title.

Also CYOA isn't in any stretch of the imagination Veeky Forums related, go fuck yourselves.

Of course that still happens. It happens much less undeservedly now, though. Certain system generals can also survive in a questless Veeky Forums. Just because something has a slow thread isn't a reason it should never be discussed.

There should be a solution that pleases both sides at least to some degree, without bringing quests back wholesale (or preferably at all).

Those are all terrible ideas.

Quests need to stay on /qst/ and moderation needs to crack down harder on smut/fetishfags.

Sure
archive.4plebs.org/tg/

Good to hear the opinions that I can agree with.

The entire reason for those in the first place is antiquestfags said they would stop shitposting if tags were added.

Tags were added, shitposting continued, rendering the reason for the tags moot.

From then on, it was jyst politeness.

Quests belong in qst. It's that simple.

One /qst/ general posted on tg would be fine.

I dunno, for four years quests belonged on Veeky Forums and it was that simple.

You cant stop autists from whining and ban evading. On either side.

Why would they go to /a/? quests themselves are a very Veeky Forums related this, even if they're not your dungeons and dragons or liches and bitches.

I don't hate quests, but I agree they shouldn't be on Veeky Forums.

Because /a/ also runs their own brand of quests that are to their interest but not ours.
Wuests go to their home board allows everyone to have their bone, and reduces quest footprint here

Fatal is very tg related, but it would be the highest form of shitposting for me to run my furry campaign on tg.

That's what quests are.

Fatal isnt furry you dumbo.

Of course not, but I homebrewed some stuff.

>Also CYOA isn't in any stretch of the imagination Veeky Forums related, go fuck yourselves.
Fucking thank you.

>when it was made to get warhammer wednesdays off of /b/?

Because this isn't true at all.
There's literally zero evidence for it.

None.

CYOA are /b/ material that cater to /b/-tier people.

Thats your problem.

hiro said "I want a thread" not "make a new Veeky Forums general about complaining"

He wont even read the first thread all the way through what makes you think he'll read thread 6?

fuck off

Yeah, we can still do warwed

Welcome to the life of a questfag, user.
Enjoy people complaining constantly, every day. And ban evading to do it more.

I dont understand how anyone expected any other result after the mods caved to the spam and ban evade strategy.

>ERP would tentatively return, making us a Semi-blueboard.
There was never any consistency on whether text/discussion counted as NSFW.

>He wont even read the first thread all the way through what makes you think he'll read thread 6?
It's the one that's up when/if he looks at the board.

No, I enjoy it, but on a quest allowed tg, it's your problem.

Oh, and I phone pair so I'll constantly get typos in the subject thread, if I even bother, making it harder to filter.

Quests are just shitposts on a discussion board, but on a board for playing them, they're appropriate.

Veeky Forums was made because there was an audience for it when moot was making a whole bunch of new boards in 2006

There were a lot of dnd'ers on /co/ at that time and it was suggested to him that it was off topic but should be allowed so a board was made

no, he's been linked to the first thread, he can read the archive, we're not making a general so he can read whatever 4 people are talking about at that very moment when he reads it in two months

That is also your problem.
Also, it is laughable for you to complain about shitposting after intentionally shitposting for eight years.

I think the best possible solution would ultimately involve improved filtering.

>Step 1: New general rule
Quests are permitted on any board, as appropriate to the topic. However, all quests MUST have "Quest" in the subject line.

>Step 2: Easier filtering
Filtering is available to everyone now thanks to the built-in extension, but it could be made even easier by adding a pre-made filter to the built-in extension that can be turned on simply by checking a box in the settings. Make it as effortless as possible.

>Step 3: Muh front page
This is the tricky part: Make it so filtered threads don't take up slots on the front page as viewed by that user. Right now, even if you hide stubs, the number of threads you see on the front page will still be reduced by the number of threads removed by filters. For instance, if I were to filter general threads, I'd only see 10 threads on the front page right now (including the stickies) rather than 15 (based on what's there at this moment).

If the slots for filtered threads would be filled by the next unfiltered thread in line, so that the front page always displays 15 unfiltered threads, it would truly be as if the filtered threads don't even exist for you. This would probably involve some changes to the funamental pagination code for the site, but if we could do this along with the easy filtering steps above, we could have the best of both worlds. Those who don't mind quests could see them as normal, while those who don't like quests can literally filter them with the push of a button and forget they exist entirely.

There is no real difference. If an idea has merit it is discussed. That's how the bump system works. It would take a LOT of people posting far more than quests to kill a thread. And yes, it still happens. There is no change.

And there can't be a mutually satisfactory solution because not bringing quests back to Veeky Forums leads to their death.

In the last two days, there have been at least two threads that have not even pretended to be Veeky Forums related: pic dumps of aircraft and a Japanese castle, respectively.

These are being implicitly allowed by current mod staff, because reasons I guess.

This shouldn't be permitted.

We doesnt factor into endless autist whining.

We can only hope questfags have less autism than antiquestfags and decide to stop.

Why can't there be more anons like you? That was actually sensible.

Either make a "forum games" board for everything

Or bring quests back and just moderate them better. Lock non-tg themed threads.

I'd prefer the 1st.

Giggidy go fuck yo self.

Mods are too busy deleting worldbuilding and d&d discussion threads to stop those

SOLUTION TO THE "QUEST QUESTION"
Create a merged front page/catalog and keep Veeky Forums and /qts/ as separate boards, so that anyone who likes both can still browse both at once using the combined front page/catalog.

Give the persecution complex a rest user.

This doesn't fix anything. Quest is a word that comes up in tg discussions all the time, discussions that would be filtered. You need a quest code like qst, but quest fags can't be trusted to honor it.

Qst the board has features which can make questing better, but aren't needed in other boards.

The best solution involves qst: fix the bad features, and allow a single qst general on tg.

It must be terrible to be so out of alignment with those around you.

>Quest is a word that comes up in tg discussions all the time, discussions that would be filtered. You need a quest code like qst, but quest fags can't be trusted to honor it.

Checkbox for "Quest thread?"

Delete quest threads that don't have the checkbox ticked.

Why do we talk about /qst/ stuff on Veeky Forums? This whole thread seems like it's a rule violation.

There were also plenty of D&D'ers in /v/ and /b/, as well as other roleplaying/card games in /v/.

Veeky Forums was just a logical next step, and not as an attempt to isolate a group of 40k fans that posted a few threads once a week.

>Let's see if we can reach a consensus.
Or what he really means
>Let's see if I can get enough support this time to show I'm right.
And soon after this thread dies without reaching that.
>Let's see if I can get enough support this time to show I'm right in this thread.
You're as crooked and dishonest as most banana republic politicians.

I believe this already exists as a greasemonkey script

>Being realistic about how long autists can whine is a persecution complex

They can keep it up for decades, user.

>Why do we talk about /qst/ stuff on Veeky Forums?
There's a sticky on Veeky Forums talking about /qst/.

If the OP had even remotely prete ded he was trying to tie it to Veeky Forums, I eouldn't give a shit, but the OP for the aircraft thread was literally "I'm going to dump pictures of planes because I want to." If he couched it as an inspiration thread, sure, maybe I could see it, but things like that belong on /n/, /m/, /trv/, anywhere as a first choice besides Veeky Forums. How many people are running games with modern dogfighting, do you think? I doubt it's that fucking many.

>role playing is /b/ and not Veeky Forums

>Why can't there be more anons like you?
Because people can't have nice things. I quite often find myself frustrated and banging my head against a wall. I do it because I care about this website, but a lot of other people simply say "fuck it, let the retards have their own space" and I can't really disagree with their philosophy. I guess I'm just a masochist.

Are you saying you're going to be shitposting about qst on tg for another ten years?

>Oh man, if I pick "be the little girl" for 10 points I can't take omnipotence :((((
Stay delusional.

Can't wait for this thread to get nuked from orbit like all the other ones.

Quests need to stay on /qst/

>- /qst/ would be changed to /fg/ and all Forum Games would be played there, like Risk, CYOA, Chess, etc, as well as quests
Yes.

or /playbypost/
Either way, thank you moot2 for the freakin' quest board, and enforcing it. This is such a wonderful development.

No, i am saying that unless questfags are less autistic than previous whiners, then they are going to bitch about it until they get their way or Veeky Forums is over.

I'm in favor of getting more shit done.

Last thread was a good one, let's keep the ball rolling.

Someone is serious;y killing D&D threads?

Someone in the last thread was amazed that there had been consensus in the /qst/ fix thread, and had been for four days, and there had been no appearance by mods or by Hiro.

My question is, is that actually surprising? Neither Hiro nor the mods seem particlarly interested in doing anything.

Personally I think all Generals and questthreads need to go, they're just breeding grounds for name and tripfags and other shitty people who could just visit a regular forum instead for their daily ego circlejerks. The whole point of Veeky Forums is that you're anonymous, when people start having threads for their own secular groups that congregate outside Veeky Forums you have a fucking problem. You don't need to set up a camp on a moving imageboard for that.

also, questfags complain about quest-threads not getting any exposure, in what way will it help if questthreads get bumped to page 2 instead on Veeky Forums? It's just a slippery slope, after that you'll start whining about how no one can be arsed to use the catalog and then you'll raise hell about being bumped to page 0 again, which was the problem in the first place. I remember how you kept whining about how it "wasn't a big deal" when 80% of the frontpage consisted of quest and general threads, now when you're shuffled off suddenly you sing a different tune.

Game design thread shut down
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49328678/#49328678

D&d thread shut down
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49392301

Worldbuilding thread shut down
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49397649

There are more, but i only saved one of each