MTG Limited General: Kaladesh SOON

twitch tv/loadingreadyrun
Pre-Pre-Release is live now. Unfortunately the guests this time around aren't quite as good..

draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Draft_KLD
Draft KLD and post results here. Let's see what crazy decks we can get going.

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/kaladesh-limited-set-review-artifacts/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This would be hilarious to play in sealed

Would be perfectly happy opening this

Gonna retry every time I don't get an Invention.

Go for it

>keep up with MtG since Scars block
>only actually play Shadows Over Innistrad with my boyfriend
>don't actually want to deal with real MtG players
>hype for Kaladesh and especially Amonkhet

h-help

Really depends on your LGS. I'm lucky in that mine isn't full of sperglords, so it's pretty sweet to go for pre-releases.

I'd say try your luck

Does this simulator even support Inventions?

Yeah it does

>Drafting hard U/G
>Pack three open a Chandra

When you're doing these simulators do you ever just stop and think "I have to be honest here" and take the money card?

Yep

That's definitely what I'd do in a draft

I really hope I draft better than this at fnm.

I will never be lucky enough to get any invention in an actual draft.

What are your favorite Pick 1 Commons and Uncommons?

Fairgrounds Warden

I am a terrible drafter.

Is it just me, or is everyone at LRR super cringe? None of their jokes are funny, and their 'dry humor' commentary is off-putting. I just want them to play the cards.

yeah, it's a sense of humor that hasn't aged super well

Copying this question from another thread:

Say I have a Salivating Gremlin in play and I then play a Panharmonicon. Does Panharmonicon's effect occur as it enters the battlefield itself, meaning that the Gremlin gets +4/+0 and trample instead of +2/+0?

Nerd media is at a typical position in its development. Basically it doesn't matter if you're good at your job or not, so long as you can maintain production values to appear like a legitimate enterprise. If you got your camera and audio work down, dress and appear well, and conduct yourself appropriately you can easily become "sponsored" by tonnes of companies who are looking for that media outlet to push their product.

Being actually entertaining is not as important as looking like you're worth someone's time. If they were legitimately entertaining but had shit microphones or were simply just ugly people, companies would be turned off.

I was at the DotA 2 International recently; and I knew nothing about professional commentary. But everyone there not doing actual commentary on the game didn't have a fucking useful thing to say about anything. They're just pretty people who can fill space and talk about nothing for hours. They were talking about player friendships and there was one guy, Charlie Yang, a former team manager who actually gave it straight about players not being friends and are there to win, and the others shit on him for being an negative nancy about it.

LLR is just very professional. Being actually amusing and having the backbone to not be shills for Wizards isn't useful because they have no competition.

It's important to note that it's "when" it enters the battlefield, not "as". Any ability that triggers "when" something happens triggers immediately after it happens. So, yes, Panharmonicon will be on the battlefield and active in time to double up the Gremlin's ability.

They have a super shit guest list this time around too which doesn't help

What people need to do is find guests who are legitimately entertaining and just bring them back over and over and compensate them for their time.

Right now, some meme spouting retard would be more entertaining than these people.

It doesn't help that they have to watch everything they say. They can't even shoot the shit about movies or TV or even food because this is a corporate event.

They probably can't even say "salty".

Yep

Here's who I would love to see as guests:

Marshall
Seth (from mtggoldfish)
LSV
BBD

This gives you 4 entertaining and knowledgeable players who all have huge presences in the community with of fans.

Yeah, this is how sterile the whole event is. There's a judge there. A judge is fine, you could ask him shit. But he really shouldn't be volunteering anything unless they ask for a clarification. But he by no means should be volunteering anything just like a real judge.

See, this is the problem with this whole production. It should be targeted to casual players just wanting to watch the Magic go by. And that's the problem with Twitch Chat is that they get all fucking militant when someone makes a mistake. You should let these people have a fucking Pepsi on the table, eat some chinese take out, let the Wizards employees cut loose and maybe leak a few secrets.

>he really shouldn't be volunteering anything unless they ask for a clarification

The "entire point" of the pre-pre-release is for people watching to learn mechanics and get these questions out of the way to save headaches for judges at the real events.

Pre-releases are the most newbie-friendly events, which at most LGS's, means that the enfranchised crowd is water down with regular people.

I'd be pretty happy with this draft, win or lose.

As I understand it, Wizards has a hand in picking their guest list, so that list would require wizards to not be silly. Also, I feel they wouldn't want pro-circuit players officially getting a hand on the cards early.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this will go in this thread, but I am looking to make a SOI/EM cube. However, I have never made a cube before. Should I just include one of each card? Or is there a site somewhere that has a good list of cards to include from these sets? Any help would be appreciated guys.

This would be the absolute nuts to draft

Seems fair
(Sealed)

This is probably not the best build of my pool, but how could I pass up the Canon deck. This would be such a blast to play with.

One of the kind of decks I actually want to draft one day

Certainly not the best build of this pool, but gotta try and do some janky ass combo shit even in sealed. As soon I saw I had 2 Diabolic Tutors I figured I'd try and do some weird as shit.

End goal:
Got your Marionette Master
Got your Ballista Charger
Got your Whirler Maker

Make Thopter, crew Ballista with Marionette, swing with Ballista, deal 1 damage to Thopter, triggering Marionette.

It's not even good, but gotta meme deck.

Speaking as a former journalist you just described all media not just nerd media. Appearance over substance is king.

>Masterpiece invention
user maybe you try some lottery instead

We pool our rares and winner gets first pick in draft so no.

Likewise in MTGO most cards aren't worth shit. I'd rather have a better chance to win 8 packs.

What kind of card store works like that?

How much comor fixing do you need to go three color?

My sealed pool has a lot of good white green and red shit as well as rw and rg and gw multicolor. Two aetherhubs and a servant of the conduit enough? If you add enough coloess it helps right?

You should essentially never 3 color unless you have like 4-5 color fixers.

I can see going 2 colors and dipping into a third for 1 or 2 cards with a lot of color fixing, but doing 3 evenly is asking for mana screw

I wont be able to do this at the IRL pre-release as they will think im racist but when I get a chance I cant wait to play limited on MTGO while listening to Bollywood pop songs and eating poppadums, chutney, aloo gobi and a cheeky chicken vindaloo with some raita.

//Deck from draftsim.com
1 Toolcraft Exemplar
1 Servant of the Conduit
1 Thriving Grubs
1 Trusty Companion
1 Veteran Motorist
1 Voltaic Brawler
1 Aerial Responder
1 Ghirapur Guide
2 Glint-Sleeve Artisan
2 Renegade Freighter
1 Thriving Rhino
1 Thriving Ibex
1 Wispweaver Angel
1 Metalwork Colossus
1 Attune with Aether
1 Revoke Privileges
2 Welding Sparks
3 Hunt the Weak
2 Aether Hub
7 Plains
3 Mountain
5 Forest

Thoughts? 3 color is hard

I had 4 color fixers so I felt red was worth a spash for gold power cards and the best removal. Thoughts?

How do you lose a game with two torrential hulks, Nissa ultimate AND a Rashmi on the table. I'm not asking this as a question since I saw the player get rekt by a preppy nerd dude. I'm just flabbergasted that you could screw up that hard with 4 bomb mythic cards cast and your opponent is playing black white with a rare and some commons...

My local one? We all agree to the rule to create a better draft for everyone. You can if you want choose to opt out beforehand and keep what you open but nobody does.

You also actually this way have a better chance of getting a rare you want as there's a wider pool to choose from. Even placing third I've got good rares third pick while opening jank in my actual packs.

Really depends on the card.

It's it's RW for example, chances are you're not doing to be able to cast it turn 2 like you would normally like.

Or splashing something with two symbols is always a bad idea: ie: 4WW

Now if it's something like 3RW it sounds a lot more feasible you'll have color fixing by turn 5+

4 is a good amount of color fixers depending on what they are (ie: dual colors vs all, etc) and whether you're gimping your choices to include these fixers (not really an issue if they're just lands)

Yeah that was embarrassing. I got banned from chat for a day for making critiques on it. That bunch if a bit too sensitive..

One RW
One RG
One 1R
Two 2R

rest is G and W

Four color fixers
Two aether hubs (land, give up one E for M of any color on Tap)
One 1R mana dork that gives any mana with one E

One G one drop that searchers for a land and gets E

Wait, I dont get it;everyone gives up there rares to a pool when you draft? So you play with no rares?

No,We play with what we pick as normal in a draft.

When the draft ends every player removes all their rares/mythics and we pool them. Then whoever won the draft gets first pick to keep that rare, then the next person gets second and so on one at a time until all the rares have been taken.

This stops rare drafting and as I say from experience actually means you get a wider pick of rares you might want. Just doesn't 'feel' as good.

>2 Syndicate Trafficker, 2 Marionette Masters AND an Animation module
Fucking tasty, all rares in just 2 colours too

Why the hell is Prophetic Prism rated a 2.6 for limited?

Card draw for 2 of any mana and fixing IIRC

Basically
Replaces itself, counts as an artifact, color fixing, etc.

Not a bad card at all at 2. Gotta realize you can use it the same turn you cast it as well.

Not sure if meme deck.

How good will maindeck artifact hate be?

I kept getting creeping mold/demolish etc super late here which seems wrong.

Interesting, is this allowed under wotc sanctioned events?

How do you choose pick orders for tie placements?

Many drafts have ties for first or ties for 3rd

But its two mana for close to no actual gain in card advantage or mana.

It basically just is there to turn artifact stuff on, and replaces itself so it doesnt feel like a waste.

Its basically several almost worthless effects shoved together until its kinda worth something

No it's not card advantage, but yes it is "mana advantage" it ramps you next turn. This entire set is about artifacts so being an artifact is important.

channelfireball.com/articles/kaladesh-limited-set-review-artifacts/

Has this ever happened before in a cycle?

it costs mana to activate.
It's color fixing.

2.5 might be a little high, because it does nothing by itself, but there are so many ways it can be more than nothing, and the base cost is so low, that it's not bad to pick up.

Any artifact matters card, and there are many in this set, and it's better than nothing. Any sort of splashing, and it's pretty good. Even just needing to fix in a two color deck makes it not bad.

For picks, in terms of risk/reward, the reward isn't that high, but the risk is also super low.

What's the issue here?
Is it because they aren't all the same creature type?

has what ever happened?
different creature types? Different mana cost and p/t?
because yes, to both.

So the limited archetype for Kaladesh are
UW:ETB effect
WG: ???
GR: Energy counter
RB ????
UB ETB effect
WB ????
BG +1/+1 counter
UG energy counter
UR energy counter
WR crew

The exact same effect repeated on two colors in a cycle.

I think lands are the closest but at least then the colors you get changes.

This is a straight cp job.

I feel he's a little off a few cards.
Watching the pre-prerelease made me realize how much flicker/self-bounce and etb there is in w/u, and that makes making panharmonicon easier to build around. It's still a build around, but the payoff is easier and better.

I think pillarbug's activated does matter enough to put it into 1.5/2. It's not great, but incidental lifegain is nice.

And I feel like there are enough decks that just want bears and artifacts that eager construct is a 2.0. But it's a bit early for that sort of fine decision making.

Other than that, basically agree. Except for forgetting how damn cute some of those guys are. So cute.

Your god has spoken tg repent at the altar of puns.

it's repeated on every color in the cycle.
And yes. very much yes. Many creature cycles are based around the effect being the same, just on a different body.

it's more than that. You need to not just consider all the cards in each color, but with cards in the colors combine well.

UW is etb+flicker/self bounce. but also a lot of tempo with a fair amount of bounce and lock down removal.

WG is counters and fabricate. Whites flickers, plus greens caring about counters, and both having good etb.

GR is aggressive energy. the distinction is important. It doesn't build up huge reserves, but it spends it and makes it.

UG builds up a lot of energy, then can spend them to big effects.

UR is pretty aggressive. U for bounce, and aggressive fliers, R for removal and more aggression. I think the energy in these two actually has the weakest combination of the energy triad.

W/B is card advantage and removal. It's going to be pretty grindy and controlly.

R/B is going to be pretty aggressive. B fabricate is going to be used to make servos to turn on the 'artifacts matter' on the aggressive creatures in both, and then the cheap removal in both.

W/R has some great crews to turn on vehicles, and the vehicles help the red creatures that care about an artifact in play. Again W's fabricates are going to pump out servos, to crew vehicles and turn on caring about artifacts.

U/B is going to be grindy control. U locks down and bounce, B kills, card advantage from both. Finish with evasion.

I've drafted r/w memes

Really this is just about A+ is my book one of the best drafts I've ever done

and I don't get to play with it, dammit

//Deck from draftsim.com
1 Inventor's Apprentice
1 Aviary Mechanic
1 Gearshift Ace
1 Ninth Bridge Patrol
1 Reckless Fireweaver
1 Trusty Companion
1 Brazen Scourge
1 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
1 Glint-Sleeve Artisan
2 Renegade Freighter
1 Ovalchase Dragster
1 Aradara Express
1 Authority of the Consuls
1 Built to Last
2 Built to Smash
2 Cathartic Reunion
1 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
1 Pressure Point
1 Servo Exhibition
1 Madcap Experiment
1 Refurbish
2 Inspiring Vantage
8 Plains
6 Mountain

How are you guys doing the image thing btw?

Was Origins a fun draft/limited set?

No

White dominated every other color

It was baaad.

Not really. Way faster than intended and W was a bit too strong. Giant waifu was great, though.

And as it turns out she had fucking SIX rares/mythics on color. She had the green Gearhulk and the Hydra.

If it's a sanctioned WOTC event, it is not forbidden, but you are under no obligation to go along with it, even if the rest of the players are. So if you got passed a money card and decided you wanted to keep it, you are 100% in the right to take it and not put it back up for the rare redraft.

It is important to note that many stores will actually have the rare redraft in lieu of the regular draft prizes. So rather than win packs like you normally would you just get a higher position on the redraft.

Whelp, almost makes me glad I started MtG with BfZ

I'll be going to my first GP in a few weeks, GP Atlanta. I'm planning to do the infinite challenge and play lots of sealed.

Do you guys have any hot tips?

Is Kaladesh actually just straight up trash?

What?

Kaladesh is extremely high powerlevel compared to recent set releases

Look at the set review again - most of the artifacts are garbage filler, according to hall-of-famer, Limited Resources co-host and all-around professional Magic-player Luis Scott-Vargas, who operates on a level you and I likely can't comprehend.

And when I look at the cards, I find myself agreeing with him.

You can't use limited rating to compare power levels across sets.
A card can be 4.0 in one limited format and garbage in another.

And limited rating is quite different from constructed rating.

I'm saying Kaladesh looks like a dumpster fire when dealing with Limited. Constructed, I honestly don't quite know, although I'm not sure what most of these cards will add to pre-existing constructed formats other than even more goddamn +1/+1 counters.

For reference, I think Innistrad 2 Eldrazi boogaloo is a great Limited draft environment