"traditional" games

>"traditional" games
>just a bunch of weens playing rpgs and trading card games invented in the second half of the 20th century
>no actual traditional strategy games like Chess, Durak, Go or Liar's Dice that span several centuries

baka senpai

Anyone here that plays actual traditional games?

Other urls found in this thread:

lichess.org/SyLoLFUc
chessgames.com/player/lev_milman.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chess is fun, but I'm shit at it.

I'm a roughly 2000 FIDE chessplayer.

I'll take anyone on at 5/2 time controls if they're up to it.

lichess.org/SyLoLFUc

>no actual traditional strategy games like Chess, Durak, Go or Liar's Dice that span several centuries
If you can't find a thraed then make it you fucki
Oh wait you did.
Carry on then.

>make containment board for warhammer
>call it "traditional games"
the populus isn't fully to blame here

how'd you practics?

I hang out with a GM a lot, mostly I grab tips off of him, but there's a fair amount of just raw playing. I find that endgame study/play is the best for building general strength, but if you want to get your openings good, you should play a couple dozen games of blitz with them, get a feel for the position. Otherwise, avoid playing rapid time settings. Too much blitz makes you stupid.

We talk about chess all the time, though.

>make containment board for warhammer

This old lie again?
You're never going to stop with your "muh warhammer wednesdays" meme, are you?

For one thing, 40k was never banned from /b/.

Secondly, D&D was big in /co/, /v/, and /b/, and there were always scatterings of other games as well on those boards, along with random 40k threads outside of /b/. At some point, moot said "hey, there's these game threads in these boards that aren't comics or video games, maybe I should make a board for them." Hence, why it's called Veeky Forums and not /40k/.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Mecha aren't banned on /a/ but /m/ is still a containment board.

Veeky Forums exists purely to keep that shit away from other boards so they don't get swamped in 40k maymays and shitposting.

>tfw 1750 ELO but you win over grandmaster anyway
He was grandmaster in correspondence, we played blitz.

Uh, dude, mecha is way more huge in anime than 40k is in anything else outside of specific wargames.

Any "containment" is an added bonus.

>implying chess is a good game

>implying it's not the best

My dad has a similar story, he once beat GM Max Dlugy.

Of course, he beat Dlugy when Dlugy was an 8 year old, and said it was one of the toughest games he's ever played, so I don't know if it quite counts....

I have beaten GMs at 5 minute to 2 minute handicaps, but it's a stretch like mad. And I once offered odds to an IM in a case of mistaken identity and got crushed like a bug, if anyone's interested in the story.

There are more possible chess games than number of atoms in the observable universe

>math: the game
>the best

I am.

also,
How much work does it take to become a GM. If you're not born gifted that is.

Well, I'm friends with a GM named Gennady Sagalchik. When I was in high school, I joined this chess club where he taught at, and when I got out of high school, I still hung around a lot even though I wasn't officially a member anymore, as it was a schoolastic club.

Anyway, one summer I'm helping him run the club championship. Mostly just keeping things organized, getting the scores down, occasiaonlly arbitrating a dispute over touch move or the clocks or something, just management stuff that you get whenever you have a couple of hundred children together.

And it was in between rounds 2 and 3, we were breaking for lunch, and I was having some pizza. And Mr Sagalchik points over to this one old man in the crowd, probably some kid's grandfather, and says

>You should play him at 5:1.

Now, most of the family aren't actual chessplayers, and while I wasn't as good as I am now back then, I was a decently strong player. I thought he meant I should give 5 minutes to him and one minute to myself.

So I go over, do that, get smashed in two games in a row. Turns out the old coot was a retired IM. Mr. Sagalchik wanted me to give 5 minutes to myself and one minute to him. The only reason he accepted the odds is that he thought I was this guy.

chessgames.com/player/lev_milman.html

We're about the same age and even look a bit alike, and yeah, same club.

>How much work does it take to become a GM. If you're not born gifted that is.

A lot. Like I said, I've hung out with a couple of GMs, and these guys are all much more naturally talented than I am, and these guys were all pulling 8-12 hours a day on their chess games when they were teenagers. Some of that was the soviet system a lot of them grew up in, and it was harder to study back then, before the rise of the internet made chess material so much more accessible. But it takes a lot of work and a lot of practice to get GM level good, and you're probably already gifted to even be in the running.

You really have no clue as to how insignificant 40k is, do you? It's not even the biggest game on this board, dwarfed by both D&D and MTG.

Back in my day, 40k was a household name and it was harder to find someone who wasn't interested or knew someone who played 40k, and now it is niche as fuck cos games workshop fucked themselves.

Back when Veeky Forums was made, 40k was still a popular as fuck miniatures game. Learn some history, newfriend.

What are your thoughts on Go?

tic-tac-toe/ noughts and crosses

what is there left to talk about other than 3d edition?

Not even 3D edition can be talked about since the first player wins with optimal play, proved 30+ years ago.

Chess and Go threads happen regularly. Calm down.

>Anyone here that plays actual traditional games?
obviously but the rest of us aren't so retarded as to think we have anything to add to centuries old ongoing discourses over said games

Besides chess doesn't have any random chance, making it a lifeless chore of optimization and memorization. There's no excitement to it of spinning the dice and winning on a one to million chance.

There is an infinite amount, but only because two players could just do atupid shit like moving their rooks respectively 1 space forward and then one space backward for as long as they cared to alternate.

>not playing fairy chess

>no random chance
>implying folks accurately guess 100% of the time their foe's exact strategy
Have you even played a game of Chess in your life?

we need a new board to get rid of the rpg faggotry
from muh tabletop games

Kill yourself. We finally got the quests gone. There's plenty of room for both.

>mecha is way more huge in anime than 40k is in anything else outside of specific wargames.
It's significantly less huge.

>We finally got the quests gone
And look what good it did us.

No: we need to remove generals and RPGs. Especially RPG generals. And don't even get me started on that stupid Commander Keen rule.

We even had a good run of Go threads a while back too (admittedly fueled by the whole AlphaGo match with Sedol), but there was plenty of talk about learning Go and getting to grips with strategies. The issue as always is there's a gulf between "plays chess" and "plays chess well enough to talk shit about it on the internet".

Not everyone has the confidence for the latter - usually these threads tend to be the most active when there's a group of people playing, learning, and exchanging strategies, without worry that they'll be shouted out for being a beginner.

I love Chess, Manacala and Euchure is the only card game I know. Fight me, desu fampai

I play Chess. I rank at around 1950 on Lichess, which I think is equivalent to around 1700 FIDE rating.

Euchre, the correct spelling in at least my area, is the worst card game there is to play and it is the easiest game to stack the deck for, everyone who plays it is a cheating adolescent looking for an ego boost.

There is still no chance. Games with known actors of semi-predictable behavior (as in behavior that can be somewhat simulated/guessed by a set of heuristics) aren't "chance" based.

Meanwhile with a dice or something similar you need to straight up include probability into your calculations to make it all work.

Where do you live?

The only way 40k would be considered a household name would be if you were left as a baby on GW's doorstep.

40k was never hugely popular, or even largely popular. Especially if you were to try to compare 40k to something like D&D, which was always more popular, even on Veeky Forums.

Just because you really care about it and are willing to exaggerate its importance doesn't mean any else has to. Miniature games are an expensive and niche hobby as a whole, and 40k is just a further niche in an already small hobby.

The issues with games like Chess or Go on Veeky Forums is they've been discussed to death by people who have a hell of a lot more to actually say about them than the neckbeards on Veeky Forums.

D&D and the like are subjects where we feel we can actually meaningfully contribute. Not that that always happens either, mind you.

>Stacking the deck in fucking euchre
What sort of gibbering children do you play with?

Anyone here play Hive? It isn't very chess like, but it does give off that impression and is pretty dang fun.

>durak
>strategy game
what

>People still playing Chess when Chess 2 exists

>chess
>maths
I, um.. what?

Yeah i know what you mean.

>friend introduces .r
>lose 3 times
>finally beat him once

>buy it for myself
>teach friend
>he keeps losing to me
>he finally beats me

It begins again.

chess is thousands of years old, with hundreds of clubs, centres, and institutions dedicated to its play. there are entire websites dedicated to singular aspects of chess, there are enough books that, even if you only had one copy of each title, you would fill a library. the metagame is so well-developed that you need a lifetime of playing, against other grandmasters, before you can even attempt some kind of new strategy

if we wanted a discussion on chess, we hardly need Veeky Forums's help

it also doesnt simulate real life combat well, and lacks chansaw blades

Chess became obsolete when Deep Blue beat Kasparov. Nobody has been able to beat a computer since 2005. It's been gamed and is now defunct.

Magic the Gathering is a superior game in every respect and the most complicated game in human existence. Get with the times.

A computer could beat me at a lot of games I play.

A friend of mine showed it to me when I was a dumb kid. It was pretty interesting, but I think I'd have liked it more if I was less of a sore loser.

>Magic the Gathering is a superior game in every respect and the most complicated game in human existence
This is actually the worst thing I've read today. Is this what being triggered feels like? In chess you have to work your way around your opponent's position and outthink them. In Magic you deal 10 infect on turn 2 because you had a godhand and they had no 1 mana removal.

No, it isn't what being triggered is like. That's just being annoyed by someone saying something stupid. Clearly he's never played actual mahjong.

I literally have taught this game and proceeded to lose to about three different people. Like, explain what all the pieces do and then lose.

One of those people was like 12.

It is a lot of fun. You do need to get a feel for how long things take.

It is very much apples and oranges.

Replying to bait with bait is equally stupid.

Try playing limited.

It's like chess but there's 300 different pieces with thousands of different interactions between them and you don't know which ones your opponent has or which ones you'll end up using.

I've lost too many prereleases to people with bigger bombs than me to care about sealed/limited. I've never pulled a planeswalker at a prerelease. Done about 12-13, never pulled one or got one in a prize pack.

>makes a shit thread
>tries to use niggerisms in the OP

Really makes you think.

That's because magic has an infinite skill ceiling.

Just practice more and get good.

I'd 3-1/4-0 every pre-release and im pretty average. If luck were auch abig factor players like Kai Budde and Jon Finkel wouldn't be the best there was. There wouldn't be pro players at all if rng determines who won each game.

Granted I will Planeswalkers are pretty dumb and warp limited, especially sealed deck, to a degree but hasbro want those dollarydoos.

hive (pocket) is the best camping game
>no board
>nothing to blow away
>waterproof

normal hive weighs a fucking ton though.

Fuck off and die, questfag.

Never played, don't really have any thoughts on it.

Looks like a mutated version of Othello. Speaking of which, who Othello here?

>usually these threads tend to be the most active when there's a group of people playing, learning, and exchanging strategies, without worry that they'll be shouted out for being a beginner.
Which is dumb because its a fucking anonymous board. People should be less concerned with looking good.

If you haven't yet realized all games are math disguised with a coating of fluff, don't ever be a game designer.

>All games are math
If you haven't yet realized that all reality is math with a coating of fluff, don't ever post.

If you look stupid, you're going to derail the thread into everybody making fun of you, and then the whole thread's going to become an argument.

You don't want to derail threads, do you? I don't.

>please do this thing you have mostly negative experiences with and do it until you have a relevant sample size. oh, it costs money, too.
"no"

No game has an infinite skill ceiling. MtG's ceiling isn't even as high as the ceiling in chess. RNG doesn't determine every game, but it determines an unfortunate number of them. If you took a decent MtG player with a solid knowledge of the game and had them play the #1 best MtG player once a day for 10 years, the #1 player is bound to lose several times due to getting mana screwed or flooded. On the other hand, if you took a 1400-rated chess player and had them play Magnus Carlsen every day for 10 years, Magnus would almost certainly win every game.

I'm pretty sure Brood War has a ceiling so high that no human could physically reach it.

>why user doesn't have GF

Kek, got me there

I miss BW golden years. Flash, boxer, bisu, jaedong, GOM TV. Korean casters getting hype, my friend translating

That's different range of skills.
For gaming competition participants need both decision making skills and the ability to perform those decisions quickly.
Chess and other tabletop games generally don't put that much importance on speed.

He's talking about on this board, dude. Seriously, the main reason this board started was so wh40k spammers would have their own place to be. The board was made quite a while ago

does anyone on this board play Diplomacy?