/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session
The ocean is an oft-neglected part of a fantasy realm. What sets the briny depths in your games apart?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/07/22/can-a-barbarian-hit-himself-to-keep-his-rage-going/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

True. I like the idea that the doll takes on the target's AC and such; I'll try to work with that.

I want to do this
What would be a cool way for my players to come across it?

Hope it works out for you! I love when players put spins on things.

I'm about to start a campaign and my Warlock wanted to have his Focus be tattoos on his body. I told him that he can't because a focus needs to be a physical object (that I can take away from him or he can lose) and that ink in D&D, while it can have magical properties, tends to be temporary what with spell scrolls disappearing on use and whatever. Instead I told him that he can have tattoos on his body the represent his spell slots, and he prepares each day by refreshing his tattoos. It also lets him feel a noticeable cosmetic change when he levels and gets access to new spell slots. Flavorful, unique, but doesn't circumvent any design balances.

Darwinist Octopoid/Nautilus people who are masters of bio-crafting/flesh sculpting magic. When they met humans for the first time they reshaped their shells and muscles to give them humanoid like forms so they could walk on land to learn more about magic with and from humans.

The borders between planes are thinner here; your arcana check tells you the rift is over that next hill...

I'm running princes of the Apocalypse, and my level 3 party just successfully hunted the manticore with the feathergale knights, and were approached, asking if they will consider joining their order.

Where do I go from here? The book really doesn't give any next steps for when the party navigates the spire peacefully like this.

repost.

Yeah. It works, but it's kind of a big kick in the nuts for the mobility classes when their gap-closing ability doesn't matter anymore.
It's not a big deal, but it definitely wouldn't ever be a core ruling without some class re-balancing.

I'm going to be playing in a Forgotten Realms 5e game coming up, and I'd really like to play something like pic related. Demon fueled asshole that can go toe-to-toe with assholes twice his size in fisticuffs because reasons.

Is there a class that'd fit that vague description? Haven't touched 5e at all yet, so I don't know what all is available outside the staple classes I'm sure they carried over from the last two editions.

The only class really good with unarmed and unarmored combat are monks. Their flavor is usually about mystic energy and meditation and shit but you could talk with your DM to adjust that.

Those... things on the middle and right look like spouse/sub levels of hotness.

I wonder if I could get in on 5e and get a good eugenics program to make an entire race in their likeness.

Warlock fits the fiend-bound flavor, and they have a melee archetype - but it's not unarmed and is largely considered bad.

You could go Monk and be able to throw down with fists, but your demonic flavor would be just flavor with no mechanics to back it up.

If you're feeling lucky, ask your DM if you can be a Warlock with Pact of the Blade, but with the Monk's Martial Arts feature and/or scaling unarmed damage instead of a magical weapon. All things considered, it wouldn't really be that powerful.

1. Dont play your weeaboo fag shit, for the sake of your group... fuck...

2. When you inevitably ignore 1, you should probably go monk/warlock (which will be MAD as fuck) or just straight warlock.

What would be the best way to make a strength-based monk?

I made the oceans an absolutely vileplace to cross.

Cross-ocean exploration is extremely limited, and if you're lucky you might make a one-way trip.

There's tales of a group on a continent nearing destruction making a great stone arc to escape, a great iron dwarf ship that travels the world when it's not down for maintainence and families who've been shipwrecked in foreign lands.

In the deep (not shelf) ocean, vision of the stars becomes distorted, with ever-shifting patterns of ethereal lights dotting the sky. Some say they can see another moon, and this is all when you're lucky enough to actually be able to see the sky.
Turbulent storms and winds frequently wrack any ocean-goers, and currents often set sailors off-course, causing problems due to the lack of decent navigation.

And, lastly, unsurprisingly, there are nasties out at the ocean from woodworm to large, tentacular boat-raping beasts.

Maybe I overdid it a little, but it means that every continent is pretty well isolated and quite unique.

For what purpose?

I was trying to come up with a decent replacement to the Wot4E monk and came up with this. Can I get some opinions? I'm iffy on the level 11 and 17 abilities.

Monk Tradition: Enlightened Fist
Spellcasting: Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. You gain cantrips and spells known as an Eldritch Knight (see PHB 75), though you gain no spell slots. Wisdom is your spellcasting modifier, and you choose spells from the Sorcerer list. You spend Ki to cast your spells of 1st level and higher; it costs 2 points for a first level spell. At 7th level, you can spend 3 points to cast a 2nd level spell (including casting a 1st level spell with a 2nd level slot). At 13th level, you can spend 4 points to cast a 3rd level spell, and at 19th level you can spend 5 points to cast a 4th level spell.

Resurgent Ki: At 6th level, you can regain Ki through meditation. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can regain a number of Ki points equal to half your class level, rounded down. This cannot grant you more Ki than your maximum.

Abundant Step: At 11th level, you add Misty Step to your spells known (or another spell from the Sorcerer list if you already know it). Once per short rest, you can spend 3 Ki points to cast Misty Step rather than taking normal movement on your turn; this does not take an action.

Rend the Air: At 17th level, you can infuse your unarmed strikes with Ki and attack at range. You may spend 3 Ki points on your turn; doing so increases your unarmed reach to 30 feet until the beginning of your next turn. If you strike a target more than 5 feet away, you deal force damage rather than your normal damage type.

You sound like you're going a really dangerous route of trying to be 'that guy' who wants to be more powerful than their level dictates.

Warlock provides 'demon power' from a pact with a higher being, but your DM 'might' be nice to you and let you have the pact with a devil or demon for some other reason that somehow doesn't fuck you over despite being whatever level you are. Pact magic is usually with a being so strong you wouldn't even fight them at level 20.

Tiefling can provide some level of 'demon power' by racial.

Monk can viably punch things to death.

Barbarians can punch things to death and still be viable, but it's sub-optimal to do that instead of use a weapon. Their rage can also be refluffed as a 'WOW I'M ANGRY NOW I'M GOING TO USE MY EDGY DEMON POWERS' ability.

>megaten
>weeaboo fag shit

Woah there internet hardass, eat a bag of dicks.

I just want to punch angels.

I had the ocean at the southern coast plagued by an eldritch mass on tendrils, blanketing the sea floor.

Any ships that traveled this way for trade were sunk and the crews absorbed to add to its power.

Well I like to mirror the ecosystem on land and fill those niches first.
Geography that has impact on climate and sea currents.
Small under and above-water settlements.
Tings like boat cities that are black-market hubs.
Temple islands dedicated to deities.
Floating wizard academies.

Basically "One piece" standard fantasy edition.

I just wanted to make an unarmed character that, instead of being a quick guy that hits people with a flurry of weak strikes, is a kung fu powerhouse that caves in people's torsos with a dropkick.

Just play a long death-monk , they have e ought of a spooky flavour to them.

Otherwise Hex-monk is a go.
Basically multiclass Monk/Warlock and use your unarmed strikes for hex shenanigans.

I'm sorry, but unless I'm misunderstanding something you don't know what you're doing.

>level 6 ability
Monks regain all their ki on a short rest with at least 30 minutes of meditation.

This feature is completely, utterly redundant.

You're not fixing the real problem this type of monk is considered to have: It just gives the monk more ways to spend their ki resource.

>finally gather enough people to play for the first time
>get so excited, I even buy a hotglue gun and do some homemade cardboard figurines
>one session later, 2 of them say they can't keep up with the schedule
>the other 2 guys are waiting impatiently to the next sunday session

Welp. So, now what do I do? Should I use one of the missing person's character as an NPC to help them? Because I feel like a party of 2 might complicate things for them a lot.
It's my first time doing this, so I'm pretty confused on how to react.

Well shit, apparently I didn't read the fucking manual, I thought Ki was a long rest thing.

Back to the drawing board.

This is a bad mentality to get into a game with unless you're starting at level 15-20 or so.

Monk does give you magical fists, though, so you're gonna have to be that, really.

And then you won't be fighting angels until the very later levels unless your DM has their own unique set up where there are much lesser angels and devils around.

If you want to play a power fantasy, 5e isn't really the D&D edition for it unless your DM spices up things a lot. It's lower-powered than other D&Ds.

Not entirely sure where you're getting that first point. DnD's always been a game where the PCs often go into melee against demons and giants.

But, might try going tiefling monk, see about refluffing a little. I'll have to look.

This is more or less, mechanically, what I'm looking to do.

There is no way to make it viable currently as you miss out on your AC and you need at least 13 Dex and Wis to even take the class.

Just play a barbarian with tavern brawler.
Bear totem all the way.
Then once you go past lvl 7 MC into fighter and go battlemaster for the maneouvers.

Wot4E works just fine if you give them more fucking ki.

The real question is how much to give. 2x Wis mod?

Our DM has the missing person be sick and following along but in an invisible sort of state. The party can make specific requests for them to do something, but he generally keeps the missing person out of fights so the party doesn't get them killed while the person is gone.

Yeah. So, oddly, they can cast fireball more often than a warlock can at a certain point.

You could have a look at one popular fix for the wrath of the four elements monk and draw inspiration for that if it's not up your alley.

Have you tried rescheduling? Maybe the five of you can come to a compromise.

Otherwise, try to find at least one new player. Using one of the PCs that left as a DMPC is probably a good idea- either that, or lower the difficulty of encounters so that two people can handle it.

Replace lvl 6 with bonus action unarmed strike/FOB after casting a spell.

Ki recovery replaces lvl 11 feature.

Lvl 18: Pick one lvl 2 and two lvl 1 spells from the sorcerer spell lists that you know.
You can cast them at their lowest level for free.

Honestly, I'll probably just give them EK casting based on wisdom and some supporting abilities at 6/11/17 and call it a day. You could also port over the 3.5 Sacred Fist by drawing from the Cleric list instead of Sorcerer.

The only real question is what the other features should be.

An unarmed-only War Magic could work, but Ki Recovery is useless, and that capstone is flat-out better than the Wizard capstone, which isn't good for a gish class. I actually kinda like the Rend the Air feature but I'm not sure it's appropriate for a gish class.

As a new DM, how difficult is it to come up with a world/setting?
Thinking of government, religion, military, social structure, etc seems quite daunting.

I don't consider my imagination to be strong, so any cheat sheets or to-do lists would be nice.

The thing is, the missing people won't be able to play anymore. At least not with me as a GM.
I can't due to work only giving me sunday as my day off. The people who can't play work on sunday, but they thought they would be able to handle the times to play before going to work. Seems it's not the case.
I might end up using a character, but what should I do to avoid compromising my game plans, like ambushes, traps, hidden doors, etc.?

When doing a custom setting for a game, always start small. Come up with the name of the town they start in, some surrounding environments (woods, desert, etc.), thinks that go on in them, and maybe the smallest rumors of what's beyond them. Then build the setting as the players go.

Alternatively you could pick one of D&D's premade settings (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron, etc.), read up on it, and use your imagination to fill in the blanks instead of creating the whole thing.

Be careful with what sorts of spells they get. Not all archetypes are the same on power levels.

The rogue spellcasting is mostly utility as they can't really use the spells for combat. The other rogue archetypes aren't exactly powerful, though.
The fighter spellcasting is instead of other scaling-with-fighter-level-abilities and gives him some major boosts with things such as 'shield' and 'absorb elements'.

A monk that has 'shield' and 'absorb elements' on spell slots might be more powerful than intended. I'd say fighter archetypes are more powerful than monk archetypes, and monk archetypes are more powerful than rogue archetypes.

Hey guys, Innistrad user that's been shitting up the general over the last few weeks, I might just get a chance to finally DM a game set in the township I've been designing, and I have what should be an engaging first adventure set up for the players, but I would like to discuss what I plan and see if any anons have suggestions for me.

Everyone is starting at Fifth level

The party is gathered at the funeral of an NPC that is well known in their township, and was an on and off friend of the pcs. As teh ceremony proceeds, the players, and the funeral procession, are attacked by a group of Undead that have burst out of a mausoleum deeper in the cemetery, and must fight them off. After a brief investigation, the players find that the mausoleum they came from is from a section of the cemetery near one Siegfried Jokof's mansion; a scholarly wizard that has taken up residence in the town some years back and has been considered an odd if well meaning man by the townfolk's reckoning. The party will find that the Mausoleum is empty, and that the Mansion in question has been broken into by a horde of the Undead, but won't understand why at first. They'll have to search through the mansion, and find Sigfried himself, before finding any answers to that.

I'm planning on throwing Undead at the players, along with Pic Related - Siegfried's mansion, as their first adventure into the setting. I think it'll be pretty light as far as what a fifth-level party will be able to handle, and I was wondering what you anons think. It'll be my first time DM'ing, but so far I have in place a high-level cleric as one of the better known inhabitants of this town in case I make the encounters too difficult, and I have a few traps set up in Siegfried's mansion that will make sure they don't throw caution to the wind without consequences.

Would this be too light as a beginning to a larger adventure for a level 5 party, say four or five pcs?

First, go small scale; it's easier to design a city than a country, and easier to design a country than a world. If your campaign starts in a particular area, you don't need to know the complete socio-economic happenings of the world at large, you need to know about whats going on in the small scale.

Second, let your players help. Have them come up with where they're from, what the community is like, what the religion in the area is like, and use that as a jumping off point.

I'm starting my very first campaign this Saturday. Homebrewing it all, and at first it was very overwhelming. I decided to start small and in a bubble, so my players are gonna get #rekt on a boat and revived on a small island inhabited by two warring Goblin tribes. No pressure to create a real city in a classical sense. Don't have to worry about them deciding to leave the city or inquiring about the next town overs Innkeeps 2nd favorite flower or some bullshit like that.

It is very intimidating, IMO, but you can get help. There's often a worldbuilding general on Veeky Forums, and while the thread's slow, they tend to give decent advice.

I've made a few settings of my own, and I think the hardest part is just getting started on a setting. There's a few ways I've heard of setting stuff like that up:

One, you build your world based on symbolism, towards a common theme. Focus on making each nation, each figure, push towards a message or some meaning. I thought this was the far more difficult of the two.

Two, the way I tend to do it, is start small. Come up with a concept for one nation, develop it, flesh it out. Then, if you get stuck, start on another.

Three, start with the map itself. I've done this before, but i'm not very good at making maps. It might give you plenty of ideas, like, "Hey, what lives over here on this random peninsula I drew?"

You should definitely consult your (potential) players and see what they want to play. Might even want to have them help out with the worldbuilding. They might have some cool ideas.

You could have your players control multiple characters, though that makes it a little more game-y, IMO. If you do end up controlling a character, just roleplay the character. Is it an extremely perceptive rogue who likes searching for things? Well, you're probably going to end up finding a lot of stuff. You don't have to use that PC.

You could even make a DMPC, HOWEVER(big flashing warning lights and flags here): if you're going to do that, you have to do it right. DMPCs are not meant to hold the spotlight. They are not the Big Fucking Heroes, your players are. DMPCs are best made and played as supporting characters; they might not be the best at combat, but they can provide a few buffs or heals, or serve some function that the party is lacking.

You could either NPC a player who left, or bring in NPCs who want to be involved in the situation to help them slightly on the quest. I'd try to find a 3rd player for the long term.

Let's do it this way:

Lvl 3 spell casting:

You learn spells from sorcerer and Cleric spell lists.

Wis is your casting stat.

Ki save DC=Spell save DC

You don't need material components for your spells as you fuel them with ki.

You learn 2 Sorcerer cantrips , 2 lvl 1 and one lvl 2 spell of your choice.

Instead of spell slots you expend ki points to cast:

Lvl 1 Spell: 1ki
Lvl 2 Spell: 3ki
Lvl 3 Spell: 4ki
Lvl 4 Spell: 5ki
Lvl 5 Spell: 7ki

You learn 2 New cantrips each time you take The monastic tradition feature.

You learn new spells by meditating with a spell scroll for spell level+8hours.

At lvl 6 you can use your bonus action to execute an unarmed strike or expend 1 ki to FOB after casting a spell.

At lvl 11 you gain an additional Wis mod ki points.

At lvl 18 you pick one lvl 1 spell from any spell list and can cast it at will.

Thanks for that, I'd have tried a whole country for sure.
I've been running games just on PHB knowledge, so how good is the info in the DMG for worldbuilding?
I know there's a section on random dungeons, seemed interesting.

Honestly? Not super great. I've been listening to podcasts. Dungeon Masters Block has a few episodes on starting a campaign, worldbuilding re: creation stories and worldbuilding re: overall theme that are really good.

I see. I'm gonna use a new NPC to help them, until I can find another player, the. Thanks.

To the point of the thread question, how can I make it fun for my players to have control of a ship? Does anyone know any subsystems that make navigating & charting courses an interesting activity? I don't want it to turn into a purple prose storybook.

I'll check it out, glad I didn't start going through the DMG, making some shit setting.
I know my first will probably suck, but I at least want to prep with decent tools and information.

My party has a servant NPC helping us with a few things that are non-combat. Just make sure the party doesn't overly rely on him for things outside of his intended use.

>monks casting 'bless' for one ki

Broken as fuck.

Normally the progression is:
>2 points for level 1
>3 points for level 2
>5 points for level 3
>7 points for level 4
>level 5 spells don't happen

Of course, if you followed that (and the original four elements did let you do things like fireball for 4 ki) it wouldn't be balanced because it spends ki, which the monk needs for other monk features. AT/EK doesn't use the class feature to fuel it.

I'd think learning spells from, say, the druid spell list might work better.

Level 6 isn't so bad, but honestly if you're casting a spell you might not even be in melee or something. Otherwise the monk should probably be using normal attacks.

That might change, however, as at level 17 some cantrips will surpass the monk's damage capabilities, probably.
EK has this balanced by the fact they also have multiattack (2) and later (3).
AT has this balanced because they don't get sneak attack.

You'd have to think about the connotations of letting a monk replace their normal fighting with cantrip casting. It might be alright, though.

Level 11 is nice in a way, but also a bit.. Bland. It is very, VERY unusual for a path to say 'You get more spells/rages/sorcery points/pact magic spells/etc. However, it's probably balanced anyway.

>level 18
Holy-fucking-broken.
At-will healing?
At-will shield for permanent +5 AC?
at-will create water

Wizards get this, but they're fucking wizards, and only get wizard spells.

I think I need to explain one or two things a little more.

Alright, so it seems casting spells for (pointsvalue-1) ki is normal. However, this is only when given a very limited selection of spells (Say, from way of the shadow)

If you grant them a really wide range of spells, it might warrant it costing (pointsvalue) instead.

Bless is broken simply because it's a powerful concentration buff that maybe your party cleric can't upkeep because they have to focus on other things.

You're a monk. You don't have anything to concentrate on. Thus, there is little downside to it for only 1 ki. Normally you'd have to magic initiate it or multiclass into cleric or something.

At level 20, being able to cast 20 level 1 spells from a list every should rest would be a little ridiculous, even if they're mostly minor things by that point.

Anyway, moving along.

At-will shield is kind of broken because you already have good AC, and you're taking one of the monk's most powerful features and..
Okay, to be honest, the capstone path features are all pretty powerful. But I think they should be powerful in some other way, really. At least limit the spell selection.

A lot of fun could be had with things like 'create/destroy water' at will if it wasn't overshadowed by 'shield'.
Oh, I forgot to mention, wizards already have the shield spell anyway and a load of spell slots to cast it with. The monk doesn't.

At-will healing is just a no-no or very limited in 5e, for.. Reasons.

My party did the exact same thing, The spire assholes slapped them on their ass and then sent them on the way to the elemental earth temple, after a party. That's the trick, if the party isn't investigating hardcore at the tower, it is very likely that the tower gets away unmolested. You don't have to send them after the earth temple, its just well established there is bad blood and was used by the spire to explain away the battle scene that heros can run across. you could always set up one of the other groups as well.

That almost ended in a TPK, but they learned tactical retreats are a good thing after being put through the Duergar grinder through a couple of rooms.

Question: if my barbarian tries to cut his hand for 1 damage to prolong a rage, but uses a Vorpal Sword, is there a 1-in-20 chance i decapitate myself?

sageadvice.eu/2016/07/22/can-a-barbarian-hit-himself-to-keep-his-rage-going/

But hey, if you try and roll athletics REALLY HARD maybe you can jump 10 feet in the air and take 1d6 (resisted) fall damage.

I wish I knew. I used to sail with my dad when I was younger and I've always wanted to incorporate that knowledge into a D&D campaign but it's essentially useless when none of the players know what I'm talking about.

What's the best use of magic initiate? I'm playing a warlock that has a history as a cultist, so I was thinking about picking thautmaturgy, guidance, and shield of faith from the cleric list. Is there a better selection to go for?

The ocean in my homebrew setting is often neglected because it's fucking scary. There are Gods down there, shit that a mortal in a boat can't annoy enough to so much as illicit a reaction.

Even an elephant being bit on the ass by a mosquito will whips its tail at the thing. What does it mean if we, as a species, are incapable of impacting the existence below enough to even be considered a nuisance? Something that doesn't care you exist isn't going to bother giving you time to get out of the way when it comes up for air.

So mortals make deals with the things that will hear them, travel as close to land as possible, and never venture too far out into the deep. Krakens? We can kill those. Aboleths? We have deals with things that can kill those. Shit from the True Deep? Fuck that noise, I'm staying home.

There are similar cases in the truly ancient forests and deserts and mountains of the world, but the ocean is the single most prohibitively frightening place in the setting.

>What's the best use of magic initiate?
Be a rogue and take Green-Flame Blade, Booming Blade, and Find Familiar.

Folks in the industry call this "Doing the Mario"

Let me specify. Best use for a warlock.

Whatever you do, pick buff spells unless the class you're pulling from is a Charisma caster - your Intelligence and Wisdom are unlikely to be high enough to do will with attack rolls or saves.

>booming blade
I might be wrong, but a spell that encourages your target to stay close to you seems like a bad choice for a fragile class like Rogue or Warlock. Care to enlighten me on why it would be a better choice than a ranged cantrip?

Ranged cantrips can't proc sneak attack, so they're basically useless for a rogue. You're better off having a thrown or ranged weapon on-hand.

As for Booming Blade: rogues can disengage as a bonus action and move away from the one they hit with it, thus encouraging the one they hit with BB to move towards them--and thus eat that extra thunder damage. BB and GFB are both extra d8s on their attacks after 5th level, and the only thing you give up for it is the chance to TWF. If you also grab Mobile you can instead bonus action dash and be even farther away.

That's actually a good point for the Rogue. I think I'd still stay away from BB as a Warlock, though but then again, if your're a bladelock your cantrip choices should be GFB and eldritch blast.

We traveled an ocean that was pure acid. We were attacked by huge whales that almost caused us to sink.

Thanks to the nature of the class it's not actually going to matter: your melee attack and damage mod will be whichever is highest of STR and DEX, so a +3 is a +3 is a +3.

DEX is a great save in its own right and boosts your AC whereas STR is only good for athletics/grappling. Monk is already MAD so it doesn't make much sense to split the two so DEX it is. STR is for grappling builds and two-handers and monks are surprisingly poor at both.

There's a merchant fleet that lives on the water using water mills and farming ships, it's like skymart but on the ocean.

It's okay. The advice is better than the tables, although the tables are nice to have if you need to slam something together in a hurry. I get a lot of use out of it.

Not gonna work, PHB182 shows it's a flat 3 + STR for a running high jump and half that for a standing one. You won't be able to make a 10 foot clearance until level 20 when Primal Champion kicks in, and at that point you'll already have unlimited rages.

Alright which one of you autists were doing this

Just some angry 3aboo.

Tell you what, I'm not familiar that that particular setting/module/what have you but something I have come across while DMing- start small with the encounters, and work your way up. And I mean mid-fight. They killed your zombie hoard in two rounds? Oh shit, here's another and this one has a banshee. Play it off right and they'll shit their pants and think you're amazing. The zombies were drawn by the sound of battle, something like that.

You should pretty quickly get and feel for what the party is capable of, as far as damage per round and just exactly how hard it is to hit 18 ac. Figure out what saves they suck with and throw a monster at them that causes those saves. They're likely gonna be far more capable than you think.

>what sets your ocean apart
Well, it's less mysterious-murderous than some mentioned in this thread because it's an island hopping campaign, so that I suppose. But the thing that really sets it apart is the kaiju with legendary actions that the players will eventually get to control in a huge showdown

>that profile pic

Jesus fuck the cringe I feel. It's times like this I wish I could take the sympathetic embarrassment I feel looking at shit like this and reflect it back on the person responsible.

Lord Kraken and his aboleth slaves/masters

>fragile class like rogue
>a class that typically ends up in melee combat because groups can't tactics
Rogues have evasion, which allows them to completely negate some of the most dangerous damaging attacks.
They also have uncanny dodge to halve the damage they'd take when getting hit.

They also, if they get to 20 dex, end up with an AC of 17, which isn't half-bad. Could be better, but it's good compared to a caster that isn't a cleric.

Also, rogues have 'cunning action' and can thus dash or disengage or hide about.

For a warlock, 'bless' might be a good use instead of shield of faith.

It requires concentration, which you may sometimes require as a warlock. However, warlocks have less concentration usage than other classes.

Bless is a really nice spell, even if you'll only be able to cast it at level 1.
Heck, you could even multiclass into cleric instead so you can cast bless on your entire team, get better armour, ge a shield and also get to heal every short rest. And maybe a level 1 cleric feature like tempest's reaction attack.

Still, you really don't need magic initiate on a warlock. Getting skill-ups to 20 is the most important usually.
Magic initiate works best for a fighter, so that they can grab hex or something. Hex uses a bonus action, and fighters may often have plenty of spare bonus actions, and they get multi-attack to maximize hex damage.

I want to go to the Chris guy and apologize for him having to put up with this... This thing.

>the Chris guy

"[Chris Perikins] became the editor in chief of Wizards periodicals. He later became the senior producer for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game, leading the team of designers, developers, and editors who produce D&D RPG products"

Could you imagine having the gall to argue over the basics of DM agency and rules with the guy who leads most aspect of D&D right now?

Booming blade is used with Swashbuckler rogues and they usually get it by dipping into Dragon Sorcerer.

Capstone features are supposed to be powerful.
Don't mention the fact that you cast that one spell (only one spell) at its lowest level.
So mostly you'd use it for Hex or Shield anyway or Cheap backup healing which alltho useful becomes relatively minor at higher levels.

I do appreciate the critics and think limiting the subclass to sorcerer spells (besides the capstone feature) is allright.

Spell ki price also needs rework.

The best formula would be (Spell level+1)=ki cost and let it go up to lvl 5 with the spells you can know/cast.

What's the best way to create a character focused around telekinesis and other such invisible forces? I know wizards get Bigby's hand and Telekinesis but is there a better way?

use the Psionics Unearthed Arcana

Arcane trickster is the mage hand specialist, but the never get over the weight limit of it, so I think you're kind of stuck with wizard with bigby spells for the most part for that. I haven't looked at the psionics UA stuff any time recently, so I don't really know what they can do, but that's usually something up their alley

There is absolutely nothing except for maybe some theurgist dickery which isn't intended at all that gives at-will healing. If you give them at-will healing, you completely destroy the need for any sort of healing out of combat. Within the space of about half a minute, everybody can be completely healed.
You could take healing word and literally walk down the street healing every single person you see and pretty much demolish any sense of 'getting injured is bad', because anybody injured will just walk by the magical healing monk.

Yes, the wizard's 'spell mastery' also gives them a level 2 spell, but that's not really as relevant, aside from perhaps mirror image or A CC spell.
Also, wizards can only use it with spells they could cast anyway.

The monk would only be supposed to be about a 1/3 caster, and a feature that the level 18 high-tier wizards get that isn't an archetype feature isnt really suitable, even if it's dumbed down a bit.

I think it's definitely wrong to say 'capstone features are supposed to be powerful'. This is not always the case. However, monk capstone abilities are pretty powerful.

I'd suggest limiting it to certain spells, but keeping the at-will. Flavour it more towards the four elements.
'Create/destroy water' would be a fun and creative option. Maybe make a list of spells that could be cast at-will to choose from, that feels less 'how hard can you break the game with level 1 spells' and more 'you gain at-will magical elemental control'.

Anyone have experience with th Death Domain Cleric?

Any good? Str vs Dex builds? Multiclass?

I "want" it to be a decent class but i'm just not seeing it's potential.

>DM is allowing me the whole neutral alignment, using empty shells not souls evil twist

Been reading through the capstone features for just about everything.

Actually, I'll admit that while there still exist some capstone features that are a bit 'meh' the features do all tend to be pretty neat, actually.

There are many 'have more resources' capstone features, like 'infinite rages!' 'infinite wildshape!' 'get sorcerery points on short rest!' or 'get superiority dice on intiative!' or 'get ki on initiative!'

There're more good capstone abilities than I remember. Maybe about 60% are actually really quite nice, 25% are really quite nice but might apply less to some people due to situations and 15% are kind of meh.

Something like 'perfect self' is kind of awkward because you want to save your points anyway for the big fights that always come later.

New thread, asking again

Any advice?

Honestly go to a toy shop and find some miniture knights and such. The more obscure something is the more likely you are to need to buy some overpriced shit.

The d&d board games come with a ton I think.

>not the thing on the right and the middle/left

Well the base Cleric features seem to work counter to the Death domain, since Turn undead doesn't specify friend or foe - just each undead, and they must make a save so you can't exclude them. Your DM will probably let you spare your minions, though.

As far as your other choices, you have medium armor and shields, so with a 14 dex you can get an AC of about 19, which is respectable. Or you could use a two-handed weapon get a glaive and call it a scythe since the death domain gets you martial weapon proficiency. Your free necromancy cantrip is likely to be Chill Touch, since I don't think there are any others, but at least you can use it on multiple targets I guess?

My advice is to go finesse and stick with medium armor until studded leather + dex would be better. Use a shield and a rapier, since you can paint a holy symbol on a shield by RAW. Use Chill Touch for range, stab things with bonus necrotic damage in melee, use zombies to keep other enemies occupied, and throw out a vampiric touch when you need to heal yourself, rather than using cure.

Even if it goes against your flavor, Healing Touch should be on your spell list because it's a good OH SHIT button.

>end up with an AC of 17
Actually, if you have studded leather armor you can get up to 18 AC.

Are you adding in a feat or something?

Shouldn't it be 12 (studded leather) + 5 (dex mod)?

I've theorycrafted enough warlocks to know that studded leather is only 12 + dex. You can get up to 18 if you burn an invocation on Armor of Shadows - it's up to you if an additional 5% chance to dodge any given attack is worth it.

>The d&d board games come with a ton I think.
That might be a good shout then, toy shops in my town don't really stock that kinda thing beyond army men.

I'll see how much I could pick up the board games for.

They're a bit pricey I think but it does double as a board game so I think that it could be worth it.

is roll20 worth using? Been using TTS for most of my games and wanting to switch to something a bit easier to use.

Not only that each game comes with quite a few minis even.

>Ardavians
>+2 Con, +1 Cha
>You gain +1 HP per level
>You have advantage on saves to avoid being grappled or restrained, and you don't have disadvantage to Dexterity saves when restrained
>You have advantage on Persuasion and Deception checks when you are restrained
>You have proficiency with Thieves' Tools and in either Performance or Sleight of Hand
>After a short rest if you've spent hit dice to recover, you can add those hit dice to the damage of a single damage roll you make. You can't use this ability again until you spend more hit dice after another rest.

Which AS do you refer to for carpentry/building?