Fire and Iron Edition

Fire and Iron Edition

Discuss the viability of the Warcraft setting, story, and lore, for a tabletop game.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wow.gamepedia.com/Ysondre
wowhead.com/guides/artifact-weapons/ulthalesh-affliction-warlock
youtube.com/watch?v=xTouBqPkhtc&index=2&list=PLqanDQVXJpf2J41qnhruPfD6pHg3hIFTd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw you forget to put the title of the thread in

Magni shine! Him diamond!

>Run campaign in Azeroth.
>Start party off, mixed allegiances, alliance majority in Kalimdor, mostly mercs hired to protect a gnome approaching religion as most gnomes would; scientific methodology and research, heading to Horde territory to look into their side of things.
>Intro quest segues into stumbling onto Cult of the Damned doing evil things to prep for Scourge Invasion.
>Mostly Alliance party prevents plague outbreak on Thunder Bluff and Orgrimmar, get honorary horde status and get to join their side of the war effort when Garosh and Saurfang Sr. launch for Borean Tundra.

>Play through arrival and initial outpost founding.
>Garrosh probably presented unfairly; LOK TAR OGAR no Garosh go sit with Saurfang and stop getting our mooks killed.
>Vrykul Mistweavers and treacherous shoreline fuck up invasion force, cuts landing party in half.
>Cut up remaining boats, use them as raw materials to fabricate WARSONG HOLD okay fine Garrosh you can pick the name.
>Scouting plans do okay, take out Mistweaver Vrykul when found, try to get Garrosh some clout, staggering losses in attack party, but the coast is now safe for oh wait our boats are dead.
>Party continues scouting, and eventually goblin air-ship travel is available instead.
>Finds that big Scourge fortress in Borean, tries attacking, forced to fall back.
>Saurfang gathers them together, says they have about three weeks to cut off the fortress's supply lines from Dragonblight until Garosh can no longer be distracted from attacking the next nearby foes, please do this and anything else to weaken them so he doesn't grind our army to pulp against undead walls.

So what's the official power rankings(lorewise) of all the class artifacts?

>Party sneaks around coast into Dragonblight, finding scourge supply line goes...into a hole in the ground. Shit. Dungeon time.
>Into Ahn'Kahet we go.
>Play through the dungeon, using boss mechanics represented in table-top. Most players haven't played WoW or at least bailed by BC, so new and interesting fights for them crunch-wise.
>Hilarious antics ensue due to "special" Tauren warrior being just well balanced enough to make it past some of the web-woven Nerubian bridges, but not without breaking them irreparably.
>Combine with Gnomish Semi-Priest whose vision ends about 20ft out due to disadvantages selected in chargen kept on shoulder to protect healbot.
>Unseal Undead Elf Prince who normally fits as mid-boss for this dungeon, talk with him instead of jumping him for loot, get blaster sorcerer to help us burn our way out of this underground horror hall.
>Get to last boss, madness mechanics represented by having players place a token somewhere on the map without giving reason, then switching them from previous locales to chosen locales. Special Tauren Warrior is not given token, and doesn't realize his friends are now all Deep Horrors of Faceless Ones.
>Nearly hurls healbot off ledge to 20d6 fall damage at one point, makes save After throwing but in time to regret actions.

Reposting. This time, without the mediafire link because I'm an idiot who forgot Veeky Forums can take .pdfs now.

>Finish up dungeon, edit the exit to be underneath Naxxramas instead of right where the entrance is.
>Party sneaks for dear life by hijacking one of the Alliance tanks in the area and running over adversity with gnomish engineering, priest with depth perception ending 20ft in front of her is the only one who can drive it.
>manage to link up with Apothocary Society crew that have a little base hidden not too far from that.
>Barter tank for fucking tons of potions and some bats to ride back to Borean to fulfill their goals, bombing the Ahn'Kahet dungeon exit on this end to seal it up, fly back to help out with Garosh's Wild Ride Of Glory.
>Fly up to the lesser-Nax type necropolis floating over the base.
>Dispel the enchantments that make the floating happen.
>Breach wall for ground forces, Garosh is happy to use the new front door.
>Blood and Thunder later, party has helped secure Borean For The Horde.
>Wanna go back to Dragonblight.
>"What why?"
>"Those human guys we met were the first friendly people we've met around here."
>You mean the Scarlet Crusaders?
>"Yeah, them!"
>PlayerAnon you're the only actual Human in your party.
>"But they were willing to give us magic stuff to kill the undead better! The horde wouldn't even do that for free!"
>Horde might've if you'd saved enough of their ships from the Scourge and Garosh.

NOT EVEN JUSTICE, I WANT TO GET TRUTH

I always wanted to play in a group of neutral mercs/outcasts/whatevers who are working for the darkirons or dark horde as a parody of the classical alliance/horde group. Having the Grim Guzzler as your base of operations would be rad, and playing as a member of the rather evil factions could be a fuckload of fun

>Long story short, the human part of the party signs the rest on with the idea of taking out Naxxramas next and giving the keys to the Scarlet Crusade.
>"We'll go to the Construct Quarter first, that's probably where the engines are."
>They clear all the way to Thaddeus and are disappointed to find that it is, in fact, the fabrication wing.
>They are not nearly so amused to learn that they will need to clear all four quarters to get access to the rest.
>Diplomance the Scarlet Crusade to throw some troop efforts their way in return for a floating mobile fortress full of scourge magic to gain air superiority in Dragonblight or anywhere else.
>Crusaders gonna Crusade.
>Fight their way to the top, take out Sindrigosa and Kel'Thuzad and company. Scarlet Crusade is content to clean up shop, start going about purifying the whole place, start dedicating generous resources to the project and more availability to the party.
>Party Majority is aware that they are being tolerated only on account of their usefulness for the most part, starting to make side plans.
>Wyrmrest Tower alerted by dragon-worshipping PC, Green Dragonflight spares a few of their number to infiltrate the Crusade and see what's what.
>Plans and arangements made by others for a quick trip to The Dark Portal as Outland might be better than a world where the Scarlet Crusade has a floating fortress.
>Nevermind that a side-quest takes them to the Vault of Archaevon, revealing Titan Technology and containment breaches of some sort along with it in Ulduar.
>Crusade now muscling into Ulduar, pushing Explorer's League out of the way, motivated with dreams of dropping killsat magic blasts on Icecrown and melting it into the seas.

Last session left off right after putting down the Flame Leviathan.

Grim Guzzler just sounds so dirty tho

Fuck yeah Dougram

can you see the truth?

Dark Irons could be cool in several ways.
>Working to try to unsettle Iron Forge hold on the badlands, searing gorge etc.
>Sneaking into Loch Modan area to sabotage their efforts.
>Going as far as Aeirie Peak to ruin IronForge/WildHammer clan relations.

but then

>Realize Ragnaros has failed in Cata era.
>Cult of the Damned veil no longer concealed.
>Old God faiths tear against reasoned self-preservation. Dark Iron at war with itself with Moirah and company leaning toward reconciliation with the other clans, while the hard-line cultists want to drop Rag in favor of caling for N'Zoth or the like.
>Tracking them to Pandaria in the wake of Deathwing's fall to prevent them from invoking Y'sharj.
>Having to cooperate with your fallen cultist breatheren to stave off the invasion from the Iron Horde or Legion, aware that while they're useful for now, they serve a greater threat.

So, why are we facing the 4 Nightmare dragons again in the Emerald Nightmare? Didn't their souls get put to rest for good after Cata Feralas?

It's been discussed earlier. The Dragons are about as mortal as the Demons are, they just return to the Dream instead of the Nether when you kill them. Even without their Aspect status, Ysera, Malygos, and Alextraza all would probably just phase into their respective realms. Ysera got taken either into the dream or into Elune's personal care (doujins when), Malygos I'm not so sure, though I guess his own little world where we killed him? Alextraza might go to the dream, or she might count the same way that Neltherion did and basically Can be killed on the prime material because that Is their native plane for their respective aspects. Nozdormu is a closed time-loop so he exists simultaneously to his own demise and creation. Circumstantially simultaneous anyway.

So....I think the Nightmare dragons are probably just back with fresher, more potent nightmarestuff.

Also do you mean Sunken Temple? (Swamp of Sorrows).

No, Ysondre and the bunch from Feralas
wow.gamepedia.com/Ysondre
She was supposed to be alive and trying to hide amongst common people, makes little sense that she of all possible characters somehow gets corrupted again.

>So, why are we facing the 4 Nightmare dragons again in the Emerald Nightmare?

Legion is a nostalgia expansion.

She was hiding, went to sleep, got pulled into the nightmare and the others are just her memories made physical by the dream realm.

Some of us have been playing since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.

WoW is a nostalgia expansion.

the Worm-That-Walks made of a dragon is cooler than the Nightmare Dragons desu

What are these?

Steamy romance novels

newds?

For Gilneas!

Indeed

Pages from Warcraft Chronicles talking about the Old Gods.

Actually, now that a I think about it, why the FUCK didn't they do more with the fact that Saronite is Yogg-Saron's blood, and just being near it drives you fucking nuts. Sure it's gone over some in Icecrown, but everybody was running around in Saronite Plate for a bit, and the Chopper is absolutely dripping in it because of the Titansteel.

Yeah that.

I want to explore zandalar so bad
>zandalar was saved from the sundering by troll mages making a barrier around the kingdom(?)
>Suramar was saved because the nightwell powered the barrier around the city
>trolls confirmed better at defensive magic

My theory is that the following occurred:

>Dev meeting, 6:17PM, friday, sometime after Blizz announced WotLK
>D1: Come on guys, we just need to name the ores and give them a little backstory if possible, and then we can go home have dinner and get drunk
>D2: Call the common, cheap one something off the periodic table, we've been doing that for years without anyone complaining. I dunno, germanium or some other shit
>D3: Germanium melts with body heat, people are going to sperg about it
>D2: Ehhh... aluminium? Cobalt? Boron? Is boron even a metal?
>D3: No, boron is a metalloid, aluminium sounds too common. But cobalt sounds cool, and we need no backstory for it
>D1: Great, cobalt it is. What about the uncommon one?
>D4: Aren't we going to send people to Ulduar later on to fight Yogg-Saron, a huge Old God the size of Northrend? Say it's his blood, call it Saronium or somthing like that, add some nice tidbit about it making people crazy.
>D2, 3: [General approval noises]
>D1: Great, gotta work on that name later on, though. Finally, what about the rare, annoying to find ore?
>[Meeting continues]

>Months later
>D1: Guys, people are asking why everyone isn't going crazy when they are running around wearing and wielding the maddening blood of an Old God
>D3: ...fuck, we forgot about that
>D2: All for damage control by ignoring those questions?
>D1,3,4: Aye
>D2: Aye-aye captain, meeting adjourned. Let's go to the senior offices and laugh at the Thrall statues in Metzen's office before lunch.

Alternatively, we WERE driven mad, Cata and everything after it were hallucinations, and we're just a band of plate-clad lunatics roaming the frozen wastelands, babbling about Deathwing fucking the world over and Ragnaros returning, a lost continent of Panda, Fish, Monkey and Stone-Dog people, Azeroth being invaded by the Horde from the past-alternate-universe-maybe-I'm-not-so-sure-don't-ask-me-this-shit-I'm-not-Stephen-Hawking, and a bunch of other inane bullshit.

>Germanium melts with body heat
Fuck, I meant Gallium; my chemistry knowledge is slipping.

This is a Dwarf Priest.

The fuck am I scrying?

>my chemistry knowledge is slipping
Have you EVER needed it?

super secret Korean server questline

>Pagle Tier
Underlight Angler

>Worldbreaker Tier
Scepter of Sargeras

>Solo Armies Tier
Ashbringer
Light's Wrath
The Silver Hand
Aldrachi Warblades
Fists of the Heavens
Fist of Ra-Den

>Everything Else Tier
Everything else.

>Uncertain
Blades of the Fallen Prince (could be in the "kill entire armies by yourself" power level, or much lower, depending on how much of Frostmourne's power they still have)
Apocalypse (Same source as Frostmourne, but we haven't really seen it in action to judge)
Xal'atath, Knaifu of the Black Empire (Could be anything between a contender for Worldbreaker or a dinky little shit with a huge ego, depending on which stories about it you want to believe and how much of what it feeds you is lies)

>big bad sword empowered with old god blood,elf magic and human resilience isn't solo army tier
It was used to kill an army of fuckhuge tall,ultra regenerating,god cannibalizing zealots to save high elven kind in the name of friendship and please come back to the alliance junkie elves,you know you want to you NEED us

>>Worldbreaker Tier
>Scepter of Sargeras

I'd say the Affliction Warlock weapon, Ulthalesh would be right up there with the Scepter. Unlike the Scepter, which was just commissioned by Sargeras, Ulthalesh was made by Sargeras himself to be a prison for the demons who didn't join him when he was forming the Legion. It's also the reason the Deadwind Pass is dead and has been for 10,000 years.
Not to mention, it's passed from one demon lord to another, and even demi-gods, all of whom are eventually devoured by the thing, adding to its power.

wowhead.com/guides/artifact-weapons/ulthalesh-affliction-warlock

Stick with the Scarlet Crusade. PURGE EVERYTHING

underlight angler is my artifactfu

>maw
>not uncertain

>Apocalypse
Given that it's a weapon based around plague, I think it's safe to say that it's power and overall usefulness could fluctuate wildly between "Everything Else Tier" and "Worldbreaker Tier".

Keep in mind one dreadlord just walked around with it and telling lies to the armies of the planet the legion was going to invade got them to go from unified to slaughtering eachother overnight.

Shit's strong.

That seems like I'd be more to do with being manipulative schemers is kind of the Dreadlords' whole thing, rather than because he was carrying the UH DK sword.

New lore from the second boss in the new raid.

Discuss.

youtube.com/watch?v=xTouBqPkhtc&index=2&list=PLqanDQVXJpf2J41qnhruPfD6pHg3hIFTd

five is less than seven

gg

Well, off the top of my head:

Jaina is shacking up with the Old Gods now

The Pillars of Creation are a trap of one kind or another

Azeroth is either more awake than we thought or much less so

Anduin is either an idiot or a tactical genious

Khadgar is going to fuck up big time, or betrays us all

Did I miss anything?

>Khadgar is going to fuck up big time, or betrays us all

I will cut you

>The lord of ravens
>Khadgar
I mean I guess it could be, but my first thought was Ravencrest.

Its Medivh, with his Raven iconography

>Xal'atath whispers: Illidan dindunuffin wrong.

he dead nightkin

>The king of diamonds has been made a pawn
Yeah, but whose pawn? Assumed the voices he hears is Azeroths, but maybe it's actually N'zoths?

Outside of turning into a raven, and having those black feathers on his robe, what iconography did he have? Ravencrest has much more.

I'd put Aluneth, Greatstaff of the Magna in solo armies tier. Acording the the lore; Aegwynn used it to dispatch the Legions invading armies multiple times. Also she used it to create Karazhan. Then again it also seems like shit and I'd rather wield Atiesh

I'd like to agree, but how much of that it because of the staff, and how much is because of her power as a guardian? Genuine question as I haven't read the lore on it.

Aluneth is the name of the entity bound to the staff. It's said to be an arcane entity. The blue dragons were the ones to discover Aluneth while "manipulating the fabric of reality"

Blue dragons experimented on Aluneth. Then an some night elf mage did a magic ritual to draw power from Aluneth to save him people from the Burning Legion.

Aegwynn turned Aluneth into a staff. Aluneth at first disobeyed Aegwynn but eventually she was able to draw on its power. She tried to fight Medivh using Aluneth but lost.

Is there really anything that says he died again after the 3rd war?
Read somewhere that their are drop in 7.1 with the flavor "Marked with an icon of a raven" and given Karazhan is the selling point of 7.1 its logical its Medivh

Rip Jaina.

So Jania has thrown her lot in with the tentacle crowd? Sad!

Given her luck with men, I'm not surprised she would start to prefer tentacles.

Guess they'll see each other again at least, in the void.

One can hope.

I really enjoy the stormheim quests and the idea of a worgen v undead fued. Thinking about running a play-by-post tabletop game featuring the party helping one side of the conflict, though more likely taking place in tirisfal. Most likely there would be two parties, actually, one on the worgen side and one on the undead side. The only problem is I can't think of what the undead side would be doing - the Worgen would obviously be trying to fuck up whatever plague bullshit the undead are trying to cook up, but I feel like the undead, for the most part, completely ignore the existence of the worgen until the worgen are directly causing them trouble. It has been a few years since I did any quests in that area, though, and only through the horde side.

So the undead party would be a more typical murderhobo group, trying to gather plaguebomb stuff and research, etc, while the worgen party would be more spying, espionage, antagonizing the undead party. Does that make sense? Am I missing obvious plot points?

You're kinda reminding me of the old WoW RPG game I was in, it was a troll Ax-chucker, Undead Warrior, and me as a Tauren Shaman. We ended up "Saving" by talking down Arugal and convincing him to help out the horde and prove that the undead aren't the scourge.
Was a lot of fun getting around the major problems with Arugal's Worgen and allowing him to slowly get his sanity back.

God, Aluneth annoys me. That fucker just will not shut up.
>Let me eat all the magic in Dalaran.
No.
>We could drop the entire city into the ocean.
Not happening.
>We're so much stronger than they are.
Doesn't give us the right to wipe out cities on a whim.
>Immense arcane energies at your disposal and you use it on... pudding.
I miss mana strudel...
>The Kirin Tor are too hung up on politics to attain TRUE power.
And you're stuck in a stick, so at least they're ambulatory, unlike you.
>[Constantly calls me 'child' and mocks my use of invisibility]
I will shove you back under the Nexus along with the rest of Malygos' stupid ideas.

The entire quest to get him had me chanting 'This is a bad idea' by the end of it. Siphoning energy directly off the Nexus, keeping a powerful and dangerous arcane being directly next to Malygos' giant leyline fuck-up, everything. Hell, the backstory of Aluneth and how he wound up on Azeroth in the first place proves the blue flight was insane long before Wrath.
It fits my character well, though. Bitter and wielding immense arcane power, but still keeps it in check, no matter the temptation. It would just be so easy to go mad, but that wouldn't accomplish anything meaningful.

I remember starting WoW years ago, with a level 1 human mage, little more than an apprentice that stood in awe of all the heroes she had the privilege to meet. How the years change us.

yeah. How the worlds change us.
Now metzen is gone and WoW can turn into World of Sylvanas.

>World of Sylvanas
Truly, a dark age.

>Truly, a dark age.

A dark age of lewds.

the Ebon Blade will save Azeroth

yeah, I have hope.
>arthas as 4th horseman never.
>jaina is now old god corrupted.

>Yfw bolvar decommissions her and raises her as the new KT

this is why the maw is best.
>High chance it can talk
>It doesn't because you don't talk with your mouthful.
>Also talking back to your owner is rude

please no.
To be fair, blizzard never kills waifus.

>Who is whitemane

She's back. Undead, but back.

I only have two chapters of the legend unlocked and Maw is already metal as fuck
>some random eredar has a psychotic obsession with Kil'jaeden to the point where he wants to be just like him
>after they become demons, he decides that just being like him isn't enough, he wants to own his soul
>so he goes to a planet that Sargeras BTFO so hard it broke reality and starts collecting magic soul draining metal

ThassarianxWhitemane is now new OTP.

How do you start collecting legend ? After completing the order hall campaign ?

Too bad Thassarian is already deep in Koltira's boipussy.

>sinking the ThassarianxKoltira ship

Maw is the metaliest weapon.
I wish I could mog it on all chars I own, shit's so metal.
Any lore on apocalypsis?

ever odd numbered artifact knowledge work order writes an new chapter I think

>Knights
>Not trained profesionals
M8s, there ain't no ships here.
Koltira goes with his buddy knight Thassarian.
Whitemane goes with Darion, Nazgrim and Trollbane.
DO NOT lose your buddy.
DO NOT exchange buddies.

>koltira
>a literally useless faggot that the DK has to rescue time and time again
>Whitemane
>a vengeful angry chick who is going to redeem the shit out of herself with her new mentor Thassarian
They would kick legion ass during the day and cuddle at night.

>Any lore on apocalypsis?
no because I never bothered to get it
FUCK unholy

Not saying it's bad, but Thassarian already has goo goo eyes for the useless faggot. Your ship is doomed.

>Not going for the Whitemane Sylvanas couple
Angry undead sex is best

Wait.
You only get the artifact experience level on *one* weapon?!

no, it unlocks artifact knowledge for all your weapons, but I never got the unholy artifact because raiding prepatch HFC in unholy made me want to kill myself

Yeah. You'll have to grind the fuck out of those world quest if you wanna have all three.

Bless those artifact research orders.

Oh
get it, it's a >fun quest.

ALso zombos.

I meant the research m8

Also, it's canon UD cannot into old god corruption other than being utter assholes and having a deep hatred of everything because undead?

>implying thassarian won't dump koltira after seeing what a useless faggot he is
Thassarian has been picking up for the retard forever. Might as well let that ship sink.

Once you commit you have to keep.
And Bolvar knows Thassarian commited HARD.

Research orders just beef up how much Artifact XP you get from an item, determined once the item drops. So no getting all the artifact power items and saving them for when the research order finishes.

no he didn't.