Reminder that Tolkien is NOT a father of modern fantasy, DnD is. Tolkien is a hack...

Reminder that Tolkien is NOT a father of modern fantasy, DnD is. Tolkien is a hack, his books were boring as shit and everything cool about his work is fan fiction from the movie which also was dull as fuck. Lord of the Retards more like it because only complete downies like this garbage.

remove thread

damn user those are some spicy opinions you need to serve some blue cheese ranch and celery with that nigga goddamn

He's more famous as a hack than you will ever be as an honest man.

You are a swine and not my nigger

OP still hasn't gotten over being called a faggot in the Lovecraft thread, I see.

You just made the same thread but with Tolkien instead of Lovecraft even used the term hack and everything, don't you have grade 11 math to be doing right now?

Sage

You're a retard and a faggot who hate's God and probably worships a fucking frog.

God is a nigger, cunt, whore, faggot and I SHIT on him Kek is magnificent, elegant, and mighty.

who hurt you user, i mean its okay not to like things and its okay to express your opinion especially online but your just kinda baselessly hating something just for the sake of it. look im not judging you here i wholeheartedly agree that Tolkien wasn't the most interesting author but that is no reason to be this negative. i mean i guess what i am getting at is that its okay to be angry and i hope whatever is making your life so hard right now resolves itself and you can go back to being happy.

Wow OP's retard impression is really convincing. Good job.

Gonna need better bait than that. Thanks for the chuckle, though.

I am completely unfamiliar with fantasy literature, what is some required reading that every fan of the hobby has probably already read?
I can only think of very famous works that every person on earth knows like Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire (which I am going through right now) but what are some not mainstream examples that still are considered important for the genre?

Also on a similar note, someone recommended the LOTR radio play made by the BBC and said something along the lines of "LOTR was made to be read out loud, it's better than just reading it quietly", any opinions on that?

That's a load of fucking shit just like LOTR itself.

Book of the new sun series by Gene Wolfe is top notch and really keeps you wondering

Maybe if you're 13 years old.

Hello China Mieville. Shouldn't you be working on another communist abomination?

Ah I see what the problem is; God hates you. That's much more unfortunate.

If you hate Tolkien and Lovecraft so much, why don't you suggest what we should be reading instead?

hey im not OP but the septimus heap series was pretty good, they're are currently seven books in the series right now and i wasn't dissatisfied with any of them, with the exception of the ending of the sixth book but i got over it

Those titles make me unreasonably angry.

that is okay. thankfully they dont do that too much in the actual story part of the book.

See you all in the "G.R.R Martin is a hack" thread in 10 minutes.

Well, you're not wrong. A competent editor could have hacked all 3 books plus The Hobbit into a decent 350 pager, but that's about the nicest thing that could actually be said about it. Everything else is someone's adaptation.

For the most part, though, the books don't actually get read, just collected. Reading them is for the people that are going to delight in putting in the equivalent of an associates degree in history with 12 foreign languages credits for a place that never existed because they didn't get enough hugs growing up or something.

And take GRR Martin with you.

No one ever went broke underestimating people's taste, that's for sure.