Just putting this photo of me wearing DIY chain mail my best mate and I did this year

Just putting this photo of me wearing DIY chain mail my best mate and I did this year

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Fa2irrYK09wl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Fallout 3 poster.

You made that? Cool OP.

yep, its from the Prima Games Fallout 3 walkthrough book

took a few months of work, mail by mail, but it worked and its fitting me like a glove, as long as i dont gain more weight, which would be difficult

More importantly, Teutonic Knight shield.

Are you planning on making more?

Also, and don't take this the wrong way - but if you want to get in better shape, wear that chainmail as you exercise.

It sounds stupid, but when I was getting fit to get back into LARP, I'd wear my armour when I went out for runs or exercised. It's two fold - you get used to wearing the gear while exerting yourself, and the extra weight gives you a better workout.

Keep doing cool shit OP.

Not bad, but you might wanna extend the sleeves. Hauberks traditionally had at least half sleeves, even if they ended at the waist.

>its fitting me like a glove
No gambesons for you then

Nice, but I don't think it goes with your wizard hat and robe.

Looks solid, OP. How much does it weigh so far? What's it like wearing it?

>extend the sleeves
I'm with this user. I'm not a LARPer, but I think it'll look better with sleeves. At least covering the shoulders so it doesn't make me think of an apron or a wifebeater.

I don't understand why fat people take pictures of themselves.

Everyone being positive because a dude went out and made fucking chain mail for christ sake and some faggot has to shit it up.

I don't understand why thin people take pictures of themselves.

I don't understand why people take pictures.

Nice shirt and all but what the fuck is up with your mirror?

Do you use it as a scratching post or something?

Looks great OP! That's some impressive dedication. How did you do it? Physically connecting the links seems so tedious. Were you watching tv at the same time or anything like that?

I'd echo the other Anons about extending the sleeves, or even suggest making yourself a sort of "skirt", as much of the mail coats I've seen extend down to the knees to protect your upper legs and groin.

Dude. Be nice. He worked really hard on something and wanted to show off. He's not asking you to find him attractive or anything like that, he just wanted to show us his cool project.

This is Veeky Forums faggot this place stopped being good never years ago. Lose some fucking weight you fat fuck. Then you can wear a gambeson and rape wenches like a proper knight.

Looks dope, nice work dude.

You should work on yourself. Your personality matches a dogs anus in terms of appeal.

>butted
>fit too closely for a gambeson
>no sleeves, ends at waist
8*/10

OP here, my best mate was the one doing most of the harder work as to assemble all the rings together, my job was the boring part: opening all the links so he could work.

We talked while we worked, talking about what we would be doing at LARP, like making profit thanks to a merchant system in one of the LARP we go to

>what's it like wearing it
It feels like I'm wearing several layers of clothing but out of steel. Yes, this is steel, not aluminum.

>Adding sleeves
You see, that's another project for later, at the moment, I just needed a chest piece

My mate bought one and we're planning to make his ring mail this winter.

OH, DO YOU GUYS WANNA SEE THE GIANT AXE WE MADE? ITS FUCKING SWEET, let me post pictures of they saved on here

More axe

Actually, if he knows the chainlink fits him now, if he loses the weight and gets a gambeson it should fit perfectly.

Hey man, if you're interested in LARP stuff, there's a dedicated LARP thread that runs on /cgl/. Some veterans there who'd be glad to give you some pointers.

My friend working on the axe

Nice boffer axe. Could use a little work, but it'll do the job on the battlefield.

That's where the LARP stuff is now? Why? Did it get booted from Veeky Forums or something?

Axe handle with groovings in it to resemble wood

Not booted, no. Some people bitched about it being here, but what else is new?
They moved to /cgl/ because it's a slower board and they liked having the threads stick around longer.

We used about 5 layers of latex on it on top of some other product we used to prep for latexing

It's the nicest bofer axe you can find. We value it at somewhere in the 200$ range if it were sold at Epic Armory.

My mate is also going to make some more stuff for larping, has told me about little armless with a symbol of our house in a LARP we go to and some other stuff

>We value it at somewhere in the 200$ range if it were sold at Epic Armory.

Got a photo of the finished product?

Cringe thread Veeky Forums edition?

>Epic Armory

Speaking of, if you're new to larp, I should warn you. As a general rule, don't buy any armor from them. It's cheap, but it's generally poor quality and one-size-fits-all. Armor is the biggest place it's absolutely worth shelling out extra for reenactment-quality gear.

I will get one if I can tomorrow, it's at my mate's house at the moment

>one-size fits all
I'm not too new to larps and I was aware of that detail

I'm not part of the one-size fits all category

Keep being awesome dude. We're all looking forward to it.

Let's keep this thread going until OP delivers! Post your Larp Stories(including screencaps, personal stories, and bullshit you made up on the spot)

>Where do you think we are?

Faggot.

The dude just looks silly in a chain shirt because he's such a fat fuck, is all. It looks like a mumu not armor. Lighten up faggot.

>making profit thanks to a merchant system in one of the LARP we go to
What're ya selling?

Sadly I don't have any larp stories except the one you just posted. So here's an anecdote from one of my games that we found amusing.

>Game is post-apocalyptic fantasy
>Older guy is playing a reprogrammed killbot
>Comes from some robot empire that's trying to assimilate all organics
>Faulty memory system; one of the other PCs reprogrammed him to protect the town
>Guy is a programmer IRL, so he knows how a computer's logic chain would work
>Taking a rest between in-game crises
>Half a dozen or so players lounging about
>Killbot is sweeping his head from side to side
>Suddenly out of nowhere
>"Odds of successfully incapacitating all witnesses and escaping town: 23%"
>beat
>"Odds of successfully incapacitating all witnesses and escaping town: 28%"
>oshit.jpg
>Player approaches the table where he's sitting and asks him what's up
>"I am assessing the likelihood of escaping town and returning to the Holy Empire successfully under present circumstances"
>We all know he could do it
>One of the players runs away to get the engineer who can fix his programming
>"Odds of successfully incapacitating all witnesses and escaping town: 50%"
>Eventually a few players manage to use some Kirk-style logic to talk him down

Made for a nice tense moment that we remembered long after the event.

OP here, I got a story of one of my LARP characters.

My previous character died, having been thrown in a pit with a soul devouring monster in it, I had to create a new character. I was in a mood to make a fun "Play to lose" character so I decided to make a cannibal with a squeaker voice

Being fairly large, and at the time, having a shaven head, I decided to base my character upon Gluttony from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I asked the GMs for a blunt weapon I could use because I couldn't just say I'm biting people's arms off in one shot. I enter play as this large, ravenous, bear hide wearing freak of a man with a never ending appetite. Night goes uneventful since I had died pretty late at night, so all the night encounters were done

Then comes morning, my character goes for a walls, looking for food/people/corpses. I find the graveyard and a shovel, I was told someone had died and was buried there, my old character, so I decided to dig up the coffin and have breakfast. Some people passed along and saw me being odd, I told them Out of character I was eating a corpse. This freaked out the players as they finally realized I was covered in gore and blood, feeding on the bones of the deceased.

Later that morning, some creatures appeared in the meadow near the main town and a party, including me, went to hunt down the creatures, the fight took about 10 minutes, but in the end, I devoured the creatures before players had the time to salvage anything from them, so that's how I got lunch.

A bit later, a criminal was brought to justice, where the sentence was death by beheading. I assisted to said beheading and when all was done, I dashed for the corpse and picked up the player and brought him in a corner and told him I was going to eat him before the gravedigger had s chance tobbury my afterlunch snack. A town guard spotted me in the corner and asked me what the hell I was doing, explained him what he saw.

you forgot
> plebian 1 by 4 weave

at the very least use 2/4 If you were just gonna butt it

Are you incapable of being nice? Do you actually have some sort of brain problem that prevents you from seeing anything in positive light?

We're alchemists primarily, we buy large quantities of iron and alchemical stones and turn it into gold and sell the gold for more iron and alchemical stones

Continuing story

The guard was silent, but I told him, in the tiny squeaker voice "It's ok, you folks had your fun with him, now it's my turn".
The guard was so scared he didn't tell anyone what he saw and just went along his business.

during the rest of the day, I had fun at the expense of the satyrs, telling the them how much I'd love to cook them on a roasting spit, much laughter was had, much frightened goat ladies and half-Orcas were scarred for life, but then comes the current big bad, called at the time Voracious. He was wielding my huge axe that my mate and I made because I told the GMs to use it in game later so I could get my hands on it as loot, Voracious came with a gang of other small baddies, but in the end, the battle was won, I ate Voracious and took his axe for my own

I see you don't need the girl.

Alright second story with The Cannibal

On my character sheet, I had asked a favor to have my deity to be the lord of dreams, because I would have it that The Cannibal had been made by the lord of dreams as a living nightmare of flesh and bone. So now that I had my swanky giant axe, I could take on the world. So this group of heroes show up with a dream catcher. Not a small one you buy at a shop, no, it was a large one, crafted by hand with all kinds of things in it and enchanted to prevent the thralls of the lord of dreams to enter the town. I of course, as a follower of the lord of dreams, figure out, out of my rudimentary intelligence and out of asking innocent questions, that this thing is bad for me, it's evil to me.

The folk who had crafted this dream catcher ask the most " trustworthy" person they could find, trustworthy being the guy with the biggest weapon around, being me, to guard the thing.

I accept, asked them for food in return for my services. First chance I get, when everyone was busy doing something that wasn't looking in my direction, I just passed the blade of my weapon into the dream catcher and then let a GM know what happened. The GM laughed his ass off when I showed him my character sheet showing my deity and why they picked me. GM tells me that they would change their plans for tonight to have a nightmare happen instead of what was originally planned.

So I go back to the now ruined dream catcher and stand next to it. Some people inquired about it, told them it was now broken for "some reason" while I went to "drink water".

The night comes and the nightmare begins. First thing that happens is the lord of dreams himself comes to town and comes to me, congratulating me for my brilliant effort and then transforms me into a nightmare version of me with two new abilities: Devour and Rage. Then the lord of dreams started his attack on the town and I triggered my rage, making me me night unkillable and devouring people's limbs right and left. After 40 minutes, the raid was done and I went to sleep, everyone was told that if they had died in the nightmare, in the morning, the lost all abilities with daily usage as though the disability Insomnia.

So the next morning, my character gets attacked by the heroes that made the dream catcher and they take me out and kill me for being a traitor

That's how the Cannibal came to a gruesome end

kek

Literally a fa/tg/uy. Did you eat your friend so you could both fit in it? You'd probably had enough metal for plate mail if you were normal sized. You look like a can of pepsi that was put in the freezer for too long. Post this on /cgl/ if you want a better fat jokes. seriously congrats on making a sick chainmail vest...two bad you can't walk 10 feet in it before you pass out you fat fuck.

It doesnt change the fact OP is a fat faggot who would get laughed at by the whole ren fair if he wore that in public. Shaming him a bit will hopefully make him realize he needs to work on himself before he dies of an artery clot.

>what is Veeky Forums

>a character based around eating
OP is trolling.

faggots don't respond to the threads on Veeky Forums and it dies off that's the only reason.
I still start threads sometimes on Veeky Forums but it always dies off pretty quick.

but we can make this thread into a larp thread

>fit too closely for a gambeson
technically speaking gambeson wasn't always worn under a chainmail. Sometimes the gambeson was worn above it, so no problem with that.

again, technically speaking, anything other than 1 in 4 was VERY rare in europe.

HEMAfag here.

Nice job, decent gauge, well mad, chuck some short sleeves on it, add some length to it (it's a little short to chuck a belt over because it might come over the top), but other than that nice work.

bomp

>Not masterbaitng to pictures of chubby nerd dudes on Veeky Forums

Nigga you gay

Looks cool bro, I'm with the others though you should get some sleeves.

What the fuck did you do to your mirror to scratch it that badly

Nice mesh shirt.

Do you think people at the gym would get mad if someone showed up in full plate to work out?

youtu.be/Fa2irrYK09wl

I follow your threads on /cgl/ sometimes, cool stuff.
Can anyone here give me general larp advice?
I have, after some thought and much prodding, decided to embark on a dark fantasy American western larp in my area. Think Shadowrun in the 1870s.
I had come up with a character concept of a Freedman that had taken in with some Jesuits after wandering for some years after the disaster of Reconstruction, then took off west after absorbing their teachings to spread the love and compassion of Christ our Lord to all the filthy, ignorant, blaspheming heathens that escaped righteous invective.
What are common dos and don'ts to general larp culture? I plan to be a bombastic sort, haughty and swollen with the light of the Lord, but I don't want to be an ass, y'know?
>will also ALWAYS have a cigar in my mouth or hand, lit or unlit

>What are common dos and don'ts to general larp culture?
Which country? There are huge differences between different countries larp culture (and some of that based on the country culture)

Sorry.
American Northeast (yes, I've heard some godawful things about the area, but the guys that convinced me are bros that I trust explicitly).

I just love horned helmet guy going in on the elliptical.

>wearing a towel over the armor in the shower room
Fucking lost it

What the fuck was that thing anyway? Was he supposed to be wearing body armor or something?

>Fucking lost it
This. Horned bro was balling the entire time.

>American Northeast
Canada or US?
if the US then you will have a few problems if the players are like the average larpers n the country

>being fat

cmon op you can do better

US, my bad.
Like I said, I trust my bros implicitly.
The larp itself seems more story and rp driven than anything else, so I wagered a fire and brimstone preacher in the old west would get some play.

Go back to tumblr.

>Tfw I thought this fat ass was bait
>Tfw I realized only like two people talking shit about the tub of goo on fucking Veeky Forums.
>Tfw I realized that everyone I've spoken to on every thread on Veeky Forums is as far and oblivious as this.

Chainmail looks like shit btw

The bait is weak.

Are fat people penalized in LARP?

Like, to represent how you'd be gassed 30 seconds into a fight

well then probably you found the white raven equivalent of larping in the US.
Anyway as far as my experience goes with US larpers you should tone down the God part of it and be more psychologist in your preaching. I mean try to just imply God without outright mentioning him all the way. "His ways are mysterious" is better than "God's ways are mysterious"

Also I assume that Freedman doesn't actually mean a nigger and you won't be using blackface either because that one could be a touchy subject.

Apart from that some general guideline:
- don't be an asshat
- try to give as much effort into your costumes as you can
- You character isn't the most important in the larp. Everyone else's are. In an ideal work this would mean that for everyone else you are the most important.
- character is not equal with player. Very important distinction, that some people overlook.
- if you bring a little more snacks with you you can easily make more friends or start conversations around the campfire.
- don't shit into other people's firepit if you don't want commit assisted suicide.
- if you aren't sure about something ask questions
- if there are melee combat hitting full force doesn't make you are more competent fighter, just a bigger asshole. Hit with as much force as it needs to connect and as much as it needs to be recognized by the other guy. contrary to popular belief full force attacks doesn't make you a pro in anything.
- bring a hat. The hat is your most important piece of clothing.

these are just from the top of my head but if you tell us more about the game I can probably give you more specific advices

The larp itself has a division of classes or "paths" for players to take, and one of them is Preacher. I think I will be able to get away with referencing God as freely as I wish.
>Also I assume that Freedman doesn't actually mean a nigger and you won't be using blackface either because that one could be a touchy subject.
Freedmen refers to any of the Africans released from bondage at the end of the Civil War, many of whom moved west. I'm also black, so no, blackface will not be a concern, but thanks for mentioning?
>what kind of autist do you think I am that you think a warning against blackface is necessary?

Always one. Always a wanker.

>what kind of autist do you think I am that you think a warning against blackface is necessary?
had to mention because a lot of people in europe couldn't understand the big thing about it and some US people doesn't understand it either.
Plus I've seen huge amount of rage against it from US larpers when they saw pics from a western larp in europe.
And let's be honest, we are on Veeky Forums after all.

OP here, sad news, i won't be able to get a picture of the giant axe until tomorrow because my mate is unavailable today

I swear you will get the picture, and even if this thread dies, im gonna post it on the board anyways because a made a promise to deliver dammit

>first five are expect
>Snacks
Snacks are a little difficult, I dunno how stringent they are on the field. May bring jerky with me, and my flask.
>shit in the firepit
This sounds 2 parts hilarity and 1 part jesus no.
>Plus I've seen huge amount of rage against it from US larpers when they saw pics from a western larp in europe
Yeah, I can imagine why.
I generally give Euros a pass on shit like that because despite people complaining about American culture exportation, people know as much about what really goes on in America as Americans know what is going on in Japan.
>insert snarky commentary

Yea, you come back tomorrow and post your fat axe.

>Snacks are a little difficult, I dunno how stringent they are on the field. May bring jerky with me, and my flask.
dried fruits. also something with salt. If you spend a long day of running and fighting and whatnot you will need something that give you back a few essential salts and vitamins and easy to eat in small portions.

>This sounds 2 parts hilarity and 1 part jesus no.
I can assure you it's all funny and hilarious until it happens to you. Then it's funny hilarious and murderrage.
I mean it should be something that goes without saying but it happened to us, plus two other times someone simply shit next to our camp. One of them later accidentally ended up in a frozen river.

>I generally give Euros a pass on shit like that because despite people complaining about American culture exportation, people know as much about what really goes on in America as Americans know what is going on in Japan.
well, it's just a completely alien idea to us. There is nothing similar in europe that I can think of. I mean there are no group of minority that you can ridicule simply by putting on makeup, not even the gypsies.
Then again I'm from eastern europe where hating each other is the default, we don't need reasons like skin color or ideology, the fact that we are awake is more than enough

>I mean there are no group of minority that you can ridicule simply by putting on makeup, not even the gypsies.
That's because no one took something like that and made it a long running part of your comedy landscape.
I'm sure there are plenty of other subtle things that don't get passed around that other cultures don't particularly know of.

lot's of things. I'm not trying to defend the ignorance, just explains how the culture works here.

Anyway back to the advices: trick question, are you going to get any lodging/houses/whatever or tents and stuff?

No, I understand, I just mean there are a lot of things that do not cross gaps, and one of them are the ways to offend people that aren't verbal.
How many offensive hand gestures do you have, for example?
According to bros, cabins are used, and entry fee covers lodging and food for the weekend.
Larp is 18+, so smokes are allowed in the outdoors, booze is... regulated, so I've heard.
Combat is guns/ranged, melee and magic, with melee requiring at least a minimum swing for any blow to count, guns/ranged being converted nerf weapons for the most part, magic is... mostly unknown to me, working on picking up that part.
Setting is Zombies and Magic return to the World, to the point where Lee, at the head of a zombie army, has sacked Washinton, and Grant, on his third term, is mounting a desperate defense of PA against the encroaching forces.

>How many offensive hand gestures do you have, for example?
in hungary? all of them. We are big on hating each other, cursing and offend other.

>According to bros, cabins are used, and entry fee covers lodging and food for the weekend.
alright, then the various camping advice aren't needed. I won't go into what kind of clothing should you bring and how many because you are a grown up person.

>Larp is 18+, so smokes are allowed
just to clarify. smoking is allowed or smoke grenades. Probably the first but have to be sure.
But about drinking my general approach is that if you had more than one beer then you should do any kind of fighting after that, and getting shitfaced is not for a larp, no matter what others say.
I know that there is nothing that makes a friendship stronger than vomiting glitters next to each other but that's for other times.

>with melee requiring at least a minimum swing for any blow to count
I already see where is this going but please clarify. You have a declared minimum movement you have to make so the blow counts?

>fat as fuck
>amy gayhouse poster
>coat and fedora on coathanger
>fallout 3 poster
>nasty as fuck mirror
>having a fucking chainmail at all

>We are big on hating each other, cursing and offend other.
Is it the kind of offending where you secretly plot to get the other guy's children with your children, or the kind of good natured venom where you cuss each other out, then all go to the pub and buy each other beers and debate who came up with the best insult?
>grown up person
I might be older than you.
>smoking is allowed or smoke grenades
Smoking, with handrolleds and luckies preferred. Smoke grenades weren't common enough in the time period to justify them.
>don't get rocked
I don't plan on bringing that much liquor, just enough to refill my flask twice, either with gin or bourbon.
>You have a declared minimum movement you have to make so the blow counts?
Yes, apparently you need a minimum of a 45 degree arc for a blow to count, and a thrust needs at least 1'/20cm of move distance to count, or you literally ignore it.
"Machine-gunning" is grounds to be publicly ridiculed the first time, the Sheriffs to pull you aside the second.

the kind where you wish his kind would die back to the previous and the next 7 generation. And his pets too.
the cuss each other thing is for friends.

>I might be older than you.
on the internet nobody knows if you are a dog. And dog years doesn't count.

>I don't plan on bringing that much liquor, just enough to refill my flask twice, either with gin or bourbon.
Alright. I just had way too many bad experiences with people who drank too much. Then again it might be an eastern european thing.

>Yes, apparently you need a minimum of a 45 degree arc for a blow to count, and a thrust needs at least 1'/20cm of move distance to count, or you literally ignore it.
"Machine-gunning" is grounds to be publicly ridiculed the first time, the Sheriffs to pull you aside the second.
While I agree with the second totally, the first one is pants on head retarded. It never worked before in any larps and won't work in the future either. As the saying goes, not every bitchslap can have a police officer and similarly you can't decide it in the heat of combat if it was 45 degrees or just 37,5674
Rules like that are just trying to patch symptomes and cause way more argument that they actually prevent.
Nevermind it's just me ranting about bad rules...

>the kind where you wish his kind would die back to the previous and the next 7 generation. And his pets too.
I... think y'all niggas need to chill out a bit.
>Then again it might be an eastern european thing.
>sees above
No idea why.
>Nevermind it's just me ranting about bad rules...
It's less a rule, more what people will do in regards to the first. If you do it a couple of times flagrantly, the local rules lawyers will collar you and direct you in no curt words to knock it off. Repeat offenders are ejected, and that seems to be the general approach to people who cross the line too often. Fuckwads are not tolerated, no matter the jewgold they bring.

Dude, do you know you need a padding underneath that? also wtf no shoulder protection? Make some sleeves then lose weight so you can put on padding.

What if I did?

>I... think y'all niggas need to chill out a bit.
can't do that, we are a nation that it's surrounded by itself and half a millenia worth of inferiority complex with a good does of infighting because OBVIOUSLY the reason why we are shit is that all the world combined working against us BUT obviously again, they wouldn't be enough to take us down so some traitorous hungarians are working with them too.
It's kind of funny if you aren't part of this whole mess.
Plus we are surrounded with slavs and pseudo germans.

>No idea why.
well, hungary is around the world leaders in alcoholism. Recently we lost a few places there but only because drug use coming up hard. You can't take this country in any other way.

>Fuckwads are not tolerated, no matter the jewgold they bring.
That is a VERY rare approach in US larps. If the playerbase is good and you enjoy the game then cherish it because most probably you won't find anything like that in the near future

This is either totally innocent. or the most epic bait thread of all time.

>Fuckwads are not tolerated, no matter the jewgold they bring.

I don't have experience with US larps, but that does indeed sound very rare. Are you sure that this is all real and not some sick joke?

Also, I picked up something cool the other day.
for 30 euro's, I got myself two gasmasks. One of them original, even.

Now to find an event to use them

>One of them original, even.
... there are people who buy fake gas masks?

*shrugs*
I take it at face value, as I have no particular reason not to.
If it's good, sweet, have a nice time.
If not, fuck it, move on.