EDH/Commander general

Shady deals edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-2-electric-boogaloo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First post for Hanna, #1 girl

Who's your favorite legendary creature from actual Legends?

How does a deck with him as commander play?

You give your opponents cards, then they use a few of them to keep him off the table forever. It's like unintentional grouphug.

This guy.

Because he and I look pretty similar

Either this guy or Rasputin. This guy is just greatest, even by today's standard when it comes to nigh-vanilla creatures

Just finished mine, so I'll prompt everyone else as well: post 'em!

What would be a good toolbox commander?

I want to make a deck that is pretty much just solid goodstuffs but very flexible and reactive, just pulling the answers when needed as I assemble a win condition.

I don't want a reanimator strategy though as I dislike the notion of a rouge tormod's crypt fucking my tool box up and my local scenes are full of graveyard hate these days.

What would be good suggestions for commanders for a toolbox strategy? I don't need the commander to literally be a tutor on a stick but at least synergistic with the toolbox style.

This guy, or Stangg. Entirely because of their artwork.

>toolbox
>non-graveyard
Wew, lad. Arcum Daggson, I guess?

Fairly slow, but weirdly effective when done right. Spirit of the Labyrinth can deny the extra draw, Forced Fruition can act as quasi-mill (when Spirit isn't out), and Azor's Elocutors is the greatest wincon

Yisan, Arcum, Sisay.

I grew up going to Sunday School and my teacher for it was an amazing Storyteller. He was an awesome GM for Dnd as well. In my teen years let me borrow his old DND books and even ran a kickass haunted mansion oneshot for me and a few of my friends during a sunday evening youth group night.

But he told all of those Old Testament stories by the book, not toning it down "to make it child friendly" but using his story telling abilities to really bring the characters and such to life.

His telling of the book of Daniel was always my favorite and his depiction of Nebuchadnezzar was always cool.

I only learned of this card a year ago on EDHREC but this card is probably one of my favorite cards in MTG period. Its a shame its so bad though... If it was BGU instead of BU it could be so much more interesting and I would totally run him as a commander but in his current incarnation he is too weak.

His art was also very good for those times and still holds up.

>nebuchadnezzar
>bad

>implying you don't want to build a big brother themed deck in dimir focused around telepathy effects, forcing enemies to discard anything you can't deal with, paining opponents for discard, subtle wizard sub theme.

It's my next deck, going to be amazing

How do i decide on my new edh deck. I've only had one for 5 years and in the past year haven't been able to decide on and build a new one.

Figure what you like, and what you have . See what you like that you don't have

No one posted best Legends female

Nicol Bolas, duh.

Why is it fun shitting on fun but not using blue to do it?

Because blue sucks and you get to shit on blue.

Well there are a few options, do you want to tutor while building a singular, specific win condition or are you looking for a more general "best of all worlds" that has a toolbox element?

If you was the former, a deck based on building a win condition and tutoring answers as you complete the strategy then the following are a bunch of great choices

Arcum for non creature artifacts
Yisan for creature based ramp to overrun
Sisay for legendary creatures in GW
Momir Vig for BG creatures
Zur for enchantments
Sliver overlord for Slivers

These decks basically all have a single main win condition, either an aggro momentum with you tutoring out creatures with ETB effects that have answers to what you need OR you have a specific winning combo that you are building towards like with Zur or Arcum. You basically want to win the game through tutoring the win conditions or combo pieces.

The other side is more generic since it can have more variety in win conditions. Your commander brings value, but the deck also either has colors that tutor very well or specific interactions that allow it to tutor.

The best examples of these that I've seen are: Sharuum the Hegemon
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
Riku of Two Reflections
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Kaho, Minamo Historian
Sidisi, Undead Vizier

Sharuum and Oloro, while not tutoring themselves come in esper colors and that alone gives them massive abilities to abuse awesome tutors in blue white and black for enchantments, sorceries, artifacts and such.

Riku lacks black but makes up for it in being able to abuse the tutors in blue green and red twice when cast and gets double the value out of the creatures and spells you tutor for.

Dralnu is all about tutoring for instants and sorceries and getting double value out of them.

Kaho is an instant engine, grab good instants and use them well.

Sidisi is easiest as a mono black sacrifice control.dec that can tutor any time you need something in mono black goodstuffs.

Because it's a different type of control. You don't take the "play thing, thing gets countered" route that blue takes, but you get to watch spellslingers squirm as they take a bunch of damage trying to counter and bounce shit

Or blowing up their lands through Price of Glory on every control spell not cast on their turn

Anyone want to help out with my Mazirek deck?

A couple of notes:
>I want this deck to be mid-power level. I know I can snag some more efficient ramp and make it bonkers. I have a full suite of rocks available, and most of the traditional green ramp cards like Yavimaya Druid and Sakura-Tribe Elder, but they're tied up in other decks. Same reason there's no Strionic Resonator (brago) Nim Deathmantel (Memnarch) Sensei's Divining Top (Maelstrom and Memnarch) or Sol Ring (Brago and Maelstrom).
>I mostly play non-french 1v1 so I can get away with a little more creature-based removal
>I've overworked this thing to death, it's gone through 6 or 7 facelifts. I guess the strategy is to shit out 10,000 tokens to clog up the board until I can tutor Massacre Wurm, Vorinclex, or the like.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-2-electric-boogaloo/

Were you in my last thread? I was the user talking to you about enderek, refered mortician beetle and kuon to you

*the, not my

Yup, that's me. I have your suggestions things saved on the description of the other version of my deck, that I noticed had absolutely zero removal and frivolous bullshit like Vines of Vastwood. I spent like 3 hours reworking things over and over, and wound up taking apart that mogis deck I was building to steal more tutors/reanimator.

I think I'm slowly losing my mind user.

Christ, well let's see. Honestly, I would cut shadowborne demon (you could use bone shredder instead, I mean he sacs himself due to echo too, I think that benefits mazirek)
I would cut filth, add varolz scar striped (I like scavenge) I'll keep looking, give me a minute

I Love the username, by the way

Thanks user, and no problem, take your time. I'm more than happy to listen to any suggestions.

I actually have a Varolz hanging around, I'll stick him in there. I mostly had filth for spicy tutored urborg interactions.

Shadowborn demon was actually one of the last cards to make the cut, he'll fit better in my Mogis anyways.

Anyone have experience with Zada? I'm pretty new to commander and the only deck I've built so far is a Kruphix one that just ramps mana into big stompy things.

I'm looking to build a deck that's not too similar and I thought zada maybe neat to buff up a bunch of goblins and swarm opponents.

Cut elvish visionary, maybe replace with solemn simalcrum or even burnished hart.
I like cathodian, but I think I'm biased by him being a pet card. I think you could even run mortal combat as a wincon in this deck. I'm jealous honestly, I've always wanted to use mortal combat

Also, AWAKENING ZONE! FROM BEYOND!

>mortal combat
Oh, that's a spicy wincon right there. I have a deadbridge chant lying around that could beef things up significantly, though I`m not really a fan of self-mill in general.

>From Beyond and Awakening Zone
One of my favorite cards, but unfortunately they're tied up in my shitbrew Kruphix Eldrazi featuring every legal Eldrazi Titan. I could pick up another on the cheap though, it does seem like it would fit rather well, particularly with Emrakul's Evangel into Mazirek.

>Cathodian
I have a foil cathodian lying around from a ton of Modern Masters packs I cracked. I like him, in theory, particularly with Ashnod's, but in practice, he gets blown up in combat and the mana floats into nothing. But, that being said, in Purpheros, throw in a Nim Deathmantel and that's infinite ETBs at instant speed.

Run 36-38 lands, you may be on the slow side right now. Effects like harrow, or scorched ruins would be really solid. I like life from the loam as well, kudzu is fun but doesn't sac, it destroys.
I'd run pox, smallpox, death cloud. All these would pump your creatures massively while costing small mana, as well as cutting their army smaller for yours to trample to death. Speaking of, I'd even run tramplers. Honestly, secret tech I need to pick up as well is pic related. Pair this with mazirek. I think you need grave pact, or dictate or erebos very badly.

Personally, I'd say to cut upwards of 10 creatures, add lands, add enchantments. The route I took with my endrek deck stays away from spot removal , and tries to force each opponent to sac all their creatures.

Smothering abomination might need to be tried as well, it's just good.

>Win 80+% of the games in my playgroup with Meren
>None of them put Graveyard hate in their decks because they think hating out specific decks makes them bad people or something

I'm not sure what to about this.

I don't want to retire the deck, but outright telling them to to put hate against me in the decks feel strange.

Maybe I should just take out all the easily tutorable wincons and make the deck less toolbox-y

Forget that. Keep winning until they get better.

Spent 4 bucks on this, did I do good?

ye

Outright tell them to include hate in their decks. I've made a career out of countering one specific person in my playgroup because no one else can recognize or counter a threat.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. What creatures could be cut?

Also, should I just ditch the tutors and stick in removal? I mean, the tutors are nice, but it's not like I'm going to be comboing anything anytime soon.

Nice name btw, I was on /dsg/ for 3+ years before DS3 hit, I felt left out on my ps3, and never went back.

Go with Krenko Mob Boss or Kiki-Jiki mirror breaker.

Have you considered Evolutionary Leap?

>Not English

Its fucking worthless.

Oh, this is a fun problem.

Run Vorinclex, and tutor/reanimate him every game, the exact same way. Tree of perdition could be useful fore this as well. Either they'll figure out your schitck and adapt, or die a hilarious death the same time every game.

>Evolutionary Leap
No, but that reminds me I have a Birthing Pod just sitting around. Would it be worth it to run Evolutionary Leap with Birthing Pod?

Have you tried running a persist mechanic? Sac a persist creature to ashnod or viscera seer...something like that and let mazi negate the -1. Infinite sac = infinite colorless mana and infinite +1. Swing for commander kill with your flyer.

>being the only Johnny in a ridiculous Timmy meta
HELP ME

Wait, does it work like that? I thought the -1/-1 counter stayed on your creature until it was removed, I didn't realize that a +1/+1 counter would cancel it out.

Yeah, + and - counters cancel now.

Marath is a living toolbox that you play out of the command zone.

>121.3. If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it as a state-based action, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it. See rule 704.
Sweet jesus you're right. I cut Pupeteer Clique AND undying evil. What are some other neat persist creatures?

sounds like a fun budget deck. every burn spell can be a potential instant speed boardwipe, every cantrip a new hand, buffs, etc. you dont even have to be tribal, but your going for numbers anyway. keep her alive with buffs so she can stay alive after a wipe. fun stuff.

krenko is the big swarm goblin while zada is red value that can benifit from decent numbers.

Yeah...i'll find the rule for you in a second.

Birthing pod is pretty great with Mazirek, running both doesn't hurt, especially since they kinda serve different purposes, Leap wants to sac tokens, Pod doesn't.

Thanks! first time I fought O&S was quite the memory. Ds1 is great.
Anyways,
If you run tutors, evolutionary leap, birthing pod, eldritch evolution I think would be good. Make the most of sacking something.
I'd cut kozileks pathfinder, unless he directly affects your primary strategy, into the trash it goes

>group is retarded and constantly buys boxes instead of singles
>decks are hilariously awful as a result because they're full of shit bulk
>only person in my group who buys singles
>Resulting meta is magical Christmasland where I can build whatever the fuck I want
>decks are entirely capable of smashing the shit out of my group despite being largely goofy
>decide to build Skullbriar recently, goes off super fast in the first game
>group gets super pissy after that night and finally, FINALLY start buying good singles
I can't believe fucking Skullbriar was the commander I needed to slap some sense into them, all this time

For draw, I like skulltap/altars reap

Yeah.

Persist creatures also combo with Mikaeus the Unhallowed since the creature will just alternate coming back with Persist and Undying

One of the best ones is Woodfall Primus, since the combo lets you destroy all your opponents lands.

>tfw dumping Mikaeus the Unhallowed, Woodfall Primus and Sadistic Hypnotist with Buried alive and getting them back on turn 5 with Living Death

It took me a second, but I meant kozilek's predator, not kozilek's pathfinder. I got him confused with pathrazer of ulamog for some reaosn. Thanks for catching that.

It's a shame there's so few persist cards, probably because they're absurdly broken. It's such a neat mechanic.

I caved and finally bought a Crypt. My luck is shit, how long do you guys give me before it's banned?

Less than a week.

Never ever

>Would cut
Ashmouth, Desecration Demon, Pathfinder, Evangel, Primal Druid (unless you add pod), Thornwield, sign in blood, night's whisper, Explosive Vegetation, Exoskeletal Armor, Karst, Marsh, Prismatic Lens

>Would add
Attrition, Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth, Gravepact, Dictate of Erebos, Skullmulcher, Altar's Reap, Sadistic Hypnotist, Awakening Zone, From Beyond, Oona's Blackguard, Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves, maybe Swiftfoot Boots, Evolutionary Leap, Birthing Pod and a suitable suite of cretures, Titania and a suitable lands package, higher land count 35 is low

Yes, absolutely. I ran both in the same deck for a while and it was actually Pod that got the axe because you have to build around it more than I was willing to do. I suspect your deck will enjoy having both and be willing to build around it.

I think it's mostly because they do -1/-1 counters so rarely and the last timr the did it it was focused on infect and the counters had a specific flavor. I don't know what persist is on the storm scale buy I love it and Undying as well.

Somehow forgot this, but add fucking Sakura Tribe Elder it's perfect for your deck.

>EDH committee doing something right
Never

>Implying it will be banned.

All they care about is stupid shit like off-color fetches.

>right
lol

>Also finally have up my left hand for a Crypt
>They ban it
No. I'm fine. It's cool.

at least its not a spike meta

Persist is roughly the same as Cascade. 3/10 apparently, though it's all sorts of fucked to find reliable information. Also, apparently exploit is a 7, Megamorph is a 9, Dash is a 3, Delve is an 8, Prowess is a 1, and Raid is also a 3.

Also, with cascade, if I copied a creature with cascade, do I get the cascade triggers?

This isn't Duel Commander.
Their idea of "dealing" with fast mana is by saying everyone else at the table should just kill you for it.

Cascade is on cast. If the copy is not cast (added to the stack directly or copied into play) cascade will never trigger.

>On the cast
Yup, that works fine for me, thanks user.

I always forget, is one the most spooky powerful or is ten?

What are you using?

1 is basically evergreen (deathtouch, trample and which prowess now is). 10 will basically never see play again because it is too complicated, too shit, too powerful or too tied to a specific plane/event.

10 is never coming back, 1 is always around iirc.

Ten is the level of storm on the storm scale.
Eleven is for bands with others.
Zero is evergreen (trample doublestrike whatever)
1 is extremely likely but not evergreen.

Surprised Cascade is only a 3. They actually want to use Cascade again? I mean it's well liked I think but I always thought power level was kind of fucky with how swingy it could be.

Thanks.
>cascade 3/10
>megamorph 7/10
Literal retards, Jesus.

Megamorph better not be a 7. That means there's still w chance of them bringing it back. Fuck megamorph. And right after they made manifest too. Fuck megamorph.

Like I said, I think some of it is misinformation from chucklefucks, whereas the information I got on the other mechanics was from a 2016 set review of the mechanics in the Khans block.

Also, reddit has no idea what they're talking about. Look at this shit.

1: Most Perennial Mechanics like trample or haste.

2: Evolve, Unleash, Outlast

3: Hybrid Mana, Landfall, double strike, Hexproof,

4: Shadow, Convoke, Morph, kicker/multikicker

5: Delve, Shroud, Vanishing, Flanking, Bushido

6: Split Second, Hellbent

7: Graft, Phyrexian Mana

8: Suspend, Urza "free spells",

9: Dredge, Annihilator, taking a card from outside of game

10: Storm, Cascade

11: Contraptions

100: Ante

It's literally nonsense if you've read any of the actual WotC released information regarding the storm scale.

I also found out that I"m secretly a Vorthos, a timmy vorthos at that.

Hey guys, I just found a copy of Sydri in my collection I didn't even know I had.

Thinking about building her, especially when Kaladesh drops. Lifelink/deathtouch vehicles and artifacts, son.

Anything I need to know about Sydri before I do? Cheap must-haves?

What's wrong with megamorph?

Hey guys I have a rules question.
Can my opponent use Nezumi Graverobber on my turn to react to my Mimic Vat trigger and exile my creature before it's imprinted?

Also if I have Archaeomancer in Game and I cast Rite of Replication targeting him.
Can I choose Rite of Replication itself as a target for the Archaeomancer copy's etb?

>no protection or banding

confirmed plebs

>3: Hybrid Mana, Landfall, double strike, Hexproof,
>4: Shadow, Convoke, Morph, kicker/multikicker
>5: Delve, Shroud, Vanishing, Flanking, Bushido
Reaction image.jpg

1 Graverobber can't target your own graveyard.

2 Yes, it's already in the yard when the ability triggers.

>WotC will never have the balls to just redo Bushido and Ninjutsu with new generic names even though they're easy keywords with open design space

Nah he uses his graverobber to target my graveyard.

Almost literally just morph (there's some slight developmental difference with a leaning towards encouraging morphing more than regular morph among other things) and it was extremely poorly received because of it, again probably partly due to being in the wake of an actually creative spin on morph with manifest. There's also pretty much no reason to bring it back either. It was high up on the storm scale last I saw Maro mention it. 9 sounds about right. Technically possible but highly improbable.

The official word on it was:

>Why print megamorph, when we could just make a regular morph with a +1/+1 counter on etb?

I don't really disagree. "When X is turned face up it gets a +1/+1 counter" is a lot simpler than a keyword.

Thats what I meant about no reason to have it.

Post cards that make the game into a hostage situation

Whats the dumbest commander you've won with commander damage? Pic related is mine
I know activated abilities aren't combat damage nerd

>Create my Kaervek deck
>I'm now the most targeted person on the table if I ever play the deck.

Good. Any more cards I should add to the deck that will make bullshit happen? So far it's been pinging everyone for 2+ for everything they try to do. No MLD though, I would play Jokulhaups all the time if it was possible.

cards like this are why goblin themed cards are my favorites.

How do I build Brago?

Pic related after Smokestacking the board.