WIP General

Stripping the work of bad artists and recycling it into badass.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Istvaan_V
privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/solos/wrack
youtube.com/watch?v=W67IOg4HqQ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Photo credit: user
Sub-edition

1/3 deathwatch sargeant WIP

2/3 piiiiimp (hawk) lords shoulder

This looks really good user. What colour is that highlight on the black armour?

3/3 sword WIP

Thanks buddy! umm the actual highlight colour was a mix of white, hawk turquoise and the fang.

it's almost an ice blue colour - if that helps. Though the colour is more so acheived from other layers/glazes. basically i've decided that hawk turquoise blended on black looks real fucking nice.

>hawk turquoise
Ooooh will have to try that out.

nice church on the base

Look at the way privateer press official studio scheme guides in the back of the old armybooks recommended painting black. Pretty similar to what you got going but maybe it'll give you some ideas. Definitely was what turned me onto painting more colorful blacks (which are GOAT)

Trying to paint the teutonic cross on the seraph freehand. Anyone got any tips? I'm not very experienced, and need to do it simply.

>paint
>freehand
>not very experienced
>to do it simply

Would these work?

I bought a set of these and they are fantastic for wording, plans of a freehand etc. I wouldn't draw a picture on a banner with them alone though if that's what you're looking to do.

Do you find these run when painted over with acrylics? What kind of drying time do they have till their not going to be fucked up by paint/varnish? In your experience

Leave the tabard grey until you finish painting the cross on. Easier to fix fuck-ups than if it was already white.

Otherwise, it's just straight lines. The simplest kind of free-hand. Your model is metal, so don't be afraid to try shit out and strip the paint later.

How to Chaos-ify a Commissar?
Running a Psykana detachment in my traitor guard of Tzeentch army and the Officio Prefectus Commissar looks far too... Imperial.

How do I make him more Tzeentchy while keeping the Commissarial look?

>straight lines
>over flowing cloth
bitch do you even non-euclidean geometry.
(using the term correctly referring to geometry over curved space. Euclidean geometry is the geometry of flat space, all others are non-euclidean).

I'd say get a different head, maybe something wizard-y or knight-y.

The hat is one thing I'd really like to keep. I want it very clear he is a Commissar.

Two more techmarines done
Decided to make handheld tools instead of the plasma things being on the ends of arms

if you're using that model, the good news is that the hat is a separate piece.
The bad news is that it's a mono-pose model, and the head piece is weird, so be prepared for some shaping and greenstuff if you want to replace it.

Ya know I'm not even dead set on reposing him or anything. Just gonna add some chaosy bits and iconography. I'm mostly just looking for ideas on doing that without crowding out the actual mini too much or having him be too busy.

Why not use the cultist champion with the commissar coat stitched into his skin?

Just curious but how difficult is it to cast models in resin? I want to paint some Vostroyans but I'm not so keen on paying a million dollars for them, so I figured I'd buy one each of what I wanted and cast them. Not for resale, so fuck off, GW.

Same question for tanks, really. Would casting entire sprues be difficult?

You know what, here it is

Wow that's very cool and a lot like what I was thinking in my head before attempted to paint. I think Mines a bit more vibrant than there's is and that's cause of the hawk turquoise.
Though I did pretty much paint it as the tutorial suggested, just different colours and a couple more layers/blending.

thanks for using my model user, that's sweet of you.

What are those servo arms from?

Scyllax-Guardian Automata

I hate resin. I hate it so much

Yeah, I've found that exact recipe to be good for producing a black that really scans as black and doesn't clash with other, main colors so much. Like in the example it's a trim color. I definitely get a little more wild with the color too when it's my main focus in a scheme.

That's not my Dreadnought, though I agree I have gone a it more overboard with the dry brushing, dunno if I can clean it up as it looks more messy then aged. Also this is the first time I am panting skulls like this so I am more so experimenting then knowing what to do.

You should use the cultist in the commissar coat as your base, swap the head and convert from there.

The dude's purple shoulder pad and his silver arm look like they are painted by 2 different people, I take it you're not done with the arm right? Because that shoulder pad is sexy

What is this head? I really dig it and I've seen it a lot.

Does anyone have the instructions for making an Istvaan V themed base?

Trying to speedpaint a butt-ton of Orks.

What's the best paint line for out-of-the-bottle use? Trying to eliminate as many steps as possible between brush and model, so something that's reasonably thing and covers well would be great.

*reasonably thin

Fucking Benadryl, man...

The instructions are right there in the picture, you can just figure it out from that.

So me and a chaos buddy of mine have a campaign going and we're making objective markers and trophis to reflect the ongoing fighting.
So far he has a bunch of my marine's heads on spikes and a dead marine on a sacrificial alter. Any ideas what the imperial equivalent to these would be? I'm thinking an aquilla-shaped crucifix, but I'd love some ideas or examples.

You could take a few extra models and turn them into small devotional statues, with candles and offerings around them like some sort of Catholic shrine.

I'm looking for something specifically "fuck your dudes"

What models does he have in his chaos army?

Almost exclusively chaos marines, specifically night lords.

Easy: small Batman figurines on stakes.

But that doesn't feel very imperial...
How does the imperium execute/ display heretics?

How about a bunch of bodies piled up like they're going to be burned?

Or better yet glue some sand to their armor, spray it black, and highlight dark grey to look as though they already have.

Reaper paints are pre-thinned. Although if you're painting Orks, find another brand for green. Reaper's green paints suck ass. I have a few models I'm thinking of stripping and repainting because after four fucking coats of Viper Green I still can't get a solid, even basecoat. Their other colors are fine, though.

follow this pimp's example

Well shit.
Any tips on how to sculpt fire?

I assume you mean aside from the paint scheme, given that you've linked that tutorial?

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Istvaan_V

The linked page gives a general description of Istvaan V; a barren wasteland, scattered with the remains of towering xenos fortresses, long since abandoned. It also mentions that the Emperor's Children set up fortifications for the Traitors prior to the Imperial landing, so you could add razor wire, sandbags, etc.

It kind of depends on where and when you want to theme your army during the massacre. The Loyalist assault on the Traitor fortifications? The massacre itself, when the Loyalists are falling back into the Traitor trap and caught on the barren plains of the Urgal Depression? The subsequent hunt for survivors through the mountainous regions nearby?

Rip cotton balls and paint them.

Fuuuuuuuuck me, Green was the one color I needed. I don't wanna have to go back to Geedubs and buy their overpriced basecoat paints.

...so don't? Buy like vallejo or P3 or something.

Privateer Press makes these if you want to use them as a base.

privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/solos/wrack

Working on a Vanguard squad for my Lamenters. Left is the sergeant, and behind is the Sanguinary Priest I converted to go with them (even with a jump pack the actual model's just too static to join a jump unit imo). I'm loving the models, honestly, they're so adaptable. Even the raised power fist was just a simple wrist swap.

>The subsequent hunt for the loyalists
That sounds about right, user.

I could, but instructions would be easier than having to guess a bit to get it right. Don't want too much or too little of something.

I was really impressed with the vanguard kit. The legs are much larger and nicer than the assault marine legs.

Shabamzoes

Not sure why I thought Space Marines would be easy to paint.

I'm also not sure why that uploads sideways

Takes some getting used to. But once you do a couple of models your quality and speed will pick up.

Having some issues with layer paint, Dawnstone in my case. Primed my model with spray black primer and then based over with Abaddon Black. However if I layer the edges with Dawnstone and let dry for no matter how long it will always flake off with ease.

Painting a squad of SM scouts for my generic sci fi human army. First guy done, I dig the simple scheme, really want to bang these out asap. Had a hard time painting his right eye so I said fuck it and painted it with bone white instead. Now hes a one eyed sharp shooter. Where do you guys get decals from? I want some simple black skulls for the shoulder pads. Toying around with the idea of printing my own, kind of want to try printing decal name tags to.

Warzone Imperial Squad leader figure on the right.

I fucking love these guys

fuck my life. welp, better find a use for this thing.

Beep beep take me to your leader

not sure what that's sayin?

Worked on it some more, tried to paint over most of the "scratch" work I did so it was not so overloaded. What do you guys think? Also redid the skull and am much happier with it. So far I am happy with how everything looks for now but am debating on painting over more of the scratches. Hoping to be done the arms completely tomorrow.

Little green men? Space invaders? Take me to your leader? No?

Bad jokes aside invaders are cool as fuck and yours look dope.

Very nice, user! Where's the base from?

Why do your Invaders all have Deathwatch arms?

people that base with snow: where do you get your actual SNOW snow? I have Mourn Mountain Snow from GW and I can get a decent and pretty cool "black ice" or "muddy/half melted" look.

However, I wanted to try a more fresh-fallen appearance. Citadel's snow is like $15 for 15g of snow, though. Any cheaper/better alternatives?

Base comes with the Dreadnought. I'm happy how it turned out but think imma throw in some grass when I get the chance. Stick it between the rubble.

Baking soda, pva glue

youtube.com/watch?v=W67IOg4HqQ0

This guy also has some great tutorials for bases in general.

I had read that the Invaders were down to 11 marines, and that they had sent a lot of brothers to the Deathwatch, even in the extremes of their need.

So months ago I had started my Invaders and since I had some deathwatch pauldrons I gave out a few of them...then the deathwatch codex dropped and I was like fuck it, they're all returning vets.

Really? Dang, that's awesome.

Not like you asked for it but here is how I did it just in case anyone wants to know.

>Prime Black
>Dry brush with a grey (I used Eshin Grey)
>Washed over with a really watered down brown to the point were it was piratically a shade (Mournfang Brown)
>Dry brushed again with a Grey

At this point you just repeat the last 2 steps until you get the look you like. For me I went over with Agrax Earthshade mixed in with that brown to make it darker before I finished with another dry brush coat of grey. Shells are just Balthasar Gold and the Skull is just Ushabti Bone, Agrax, and a little Blood for the Blood God for effect.

>I had read that the Invaders were down to 11 marines
Yeah, but they all just decided to hang out with the Novamarines, iirc, until they could rebuild.

>and that they had sent a lot of brothers to the Deathwatch
Gonna need a source on that one, user.

They do look great though!

for sure, my biggest thing going into painting Deathwatch was "don't make them the usual black-grey-white cause it looks to plain and blends too heavily with the silver"
i did test a similar more hawk turqouise-y black armour scheme on a test model, but that looked way too blue. I was confident that doing thinner layers of hawk turqoise+more black/almost black glazes would look better and was honestly just excited to paint up 1 of the Deathwatch marines. Still got a lot of work to go on the Sargent for me to be satisfied with it, but i think it's good enough for me to move on to the other 4 guys.

Pro modelling tip: gluing a folded piece of rolling paper/tally-ho on to the leg/hip join to the torso allows you to add so much more character to your marines' poses

I've done like 20 Imperial guard tanks in camoflage with those pens. They work great,

How well do they work with exact wording? Can you post pics so I can see?

there is a skull on 7/8 of those bases...

war is hell

I use a lil wad of green stuff instead. Longer working time

It's 40k, adding shitload of skulls could make even Tau look part of it.

Nice weathering

Astrogranite onto the base
Drybrush Rakarth Flesh?
Wash with Agrax Earthshade
Drybrush Terminatus Stone
Drybrush Ryza Rust on bits or all of it?
Add Typhus Corrosion on bits or all of it?

How close do you think I am, anons?

>Thought the abundance of skulls was just the Imperium being Edgy.
>Turns out it's a symbolic representation of humanity as they are in a universe full of enemy exinos.

Deepest lore.

Glad to user, it's good work.

I actually quite like how the silver drybrushing turned out. Looks like he's been in the warzone for a good long while.

It's because that space marine has a fuckton of trinkets and bobbles, seeing them on the model alone can mess you up

Thanks user, but I think I like how it turned out now here

It should be said that I really hate Castraferrums, but that's a really nice paint job overall. Here's a contemptor I've mostly finished but can't because I just moved and my paints need to be shipped. Also, I apologize for the bad lighting and photo quality, but I took the picture with my shitty iPod camera.

And it's sideways. Fuck iPods, man.

Looks good user, would put some highlights on the banner but that just maybe the poor lighting. Looks really regal.

Do/Should I ask GW customer support when it comes to stuff like basing/painting/modelling, or no?