What would a civilization who's technologically on par with the aztecs be like with dinosaurs roaming about?

what would a civilization who's technologically on par with the aztecs be like with dinosaurs roaming about?

>Also Dino art thread

...just what you described

No idea, but here's some dino art.

*Grabs you by your shirt and pulls you closer towards me*

Hey, nerd, maybe the reason we didn't know your stupid, pointless little fact was because we were actually out there slaying puss like kings while you were scrubbing the gutters like a peasant, with all your loser friends, huh? Shut the fuck up *roughly lets you go, pushing you to the ground*.

Pretty metal, honestly.

Dead.

Well the Aztecs weren't really known for domesticated animals. It would probably just be another jungle hazard and they'd probably burrow aesthetics from dinosaurs as much as they did any other dangerous animal in the area

Well for starters if they stuck around long enough to get to a civilization stage, i'm pretty sure the conquistadors would have had a much harder time.

It all comes down to whether or not they could get husbandry down, if not they'd still be the most hardcore of hunters, probably with mega high wall guarding the cities.

wut?

This is a tad off topic but I've never liked aztec inspired fantasy and I can't quite put my finger on why. Part of the reason is because I find their aesthetic ugly as sin, but there's got to be more to it than that.

>but there's got to be more to it than that

No, there really does not.

Also your aesthetic taste is shit

>muh ugly blocky carvings
>muh color combos from before we new what a color wheel was
>muh jaguars and feathers

And yet there is some kind of inescapable charm about it all.

Apocalypto was a good movie.

This basically.
Also maybe look into warhammer fantasy if you like aztech dinos riding dinosaurs.

They definitely have husbandry down. What's the point of doing Aztecs and dinosaurs if you aren't going to have Aztecs riding dinosaurs?

Shit, Aztecs and dinosaurs are like chocolate and peanut butter.

Apocalypto was fucking amazing

>muh trappings of modernity
>muh arbitrary definitions of beauty
>muh shit taste

I hear that, there is no historic culture on earth that seems more suited for it.

>what would a civilization who's technologically on par with the aztecs be like with dinosaurs roaming about?

Their quality of life would be simultaneously BETTER and WORSE in many different ways.

>The Good:
Dinosaurs would provide a viable source of food in the form of large-game animals as well as domesticated livestock which was something that the Aztecs were sorely deprived of and limited the advancement of their society both in technology and population.
You don't have to eat people or use 'as' many people as a source of hard labor when you have Triceratops, Hadrosaurs and small Brontosauruses to use as a source of meat, eggs, building/clothing material and animal labor.

>The Bad:
Dinosaurs are of a significantly higher pay-grade than most contemporary animals with even the herbivores being the most heavily armed and armored of any of God's creatures.
Any civilized nation would be heavily walled in with numerous deterrents and warning systems to keep things like Allosauruses & Carnotaurs from just casually walking into your agrarian communities and eating your peasants any time jungle game is slim.... Never mind things like Stegosauruseses, Ankylosauruses or even Pterodactyls.

wew lad
*tips fedora, flicks cigarette away and walks out of the light of the streetlamp*

Realistically, if an Aztec-ish civilization coexisted with dinosaurs, it wouldn't be a sustainable ecosystem. All the larger dinos would be driven to extinction pretty quick, and you'd only have smaller species continuing on in similar ecological roles as other animals that coexisted with Mesoamerican civilization.

The bigger issue would be getting past the hunter-gatherer stages while living alongside gigantic predators. But if they're already there... then that means the wildlife is no longer a real threat.

In a fantasy setting... whatever you want, mang.

>Dinosaurs are of a significantly higher pay-grade than most contemporary animals with even the herbivores being the most heavily armed and armored of any of God's creatures.

And thus humanity started as mole people.

I could see it working if you rocked a super-continent and a larger planet.

Just about everything is scaled up except for the civilizations.

>autism: the post

Well best case scenario they are able to domesticate some of the familial based herbivores, worst case they get destroyed by large hungry predators that they do not have the proper tools to fight.
But there are alot of variables at play the biggest one being what dinosaurs, the second one being can they be domesticated.
The reason the Aztecs did not domesticate many animals was most the animals in the Americas were awful for domestication, hence why to this day many of the native animals have not been domesticated.

>I could see it working if you rocked a super-continent and a larger planet.

>Just about everything is scaled up except for the civilizations.

Yeah, but then they're not really coexisting. You'd have civilized regions where there would effectively be no large dinosaurs except herbivores living on private hunting grounds, and then you'd have vast expanses of wilderness far from the cities and villages and farms where The Wild Things Are.

Even the largest predatory dinosaurs wouldn't stand much of a chance against a large hunting party of well-trained men armed with (obsidian) pikes, javelins, and bows.

>Even the largest predatory dinosaurs wouldn't stand much of a chance against a large hunting party

Kinda bein presumptuous don't you think?

Have to agree with this user we can only guesstimate the statistics of dinosaurs, but even if a large party could take down large predators I would have to question the mortality rate, then we would need to factor in the amount of humans needed and lost vrs how fast the large carnivores breed and grow up, most estimates seem to be that dinosaurs lived shorter lives and thusly reached maturity earlier then most large creatures now, so if the dinosaurs grow faster than they can be killed the humans will need to live in hard to reach places like the Inca where they are largely safe. If they do not the humans will eventually wipe them out.

Not to sperg out, but it depends what kind of dinosaurs

There's an awful lot of size, behaviour and threat variation between individual species, also dependent on the era they're from

Jurassic animals are huge and varied; Triassic, not so much

The Cretaceous period had the most diverse and familiar dinosaurs didn't it?
I know it's still an enormous time period, but it has most of the big names.

Aztecs were mostly jungle/swamp guys iirc, Inca-style mountain fortresses would be more dinosaur-proof, but less cool. Could go the old mish-mash route, have the roots of their civilization in the safe mountains, then making their later and more advanced cities further out

A lot of how the aztecs developed was due to having few/no domesticated animals. If you gave them rideable dinosaurs, they're no longer technologically on par with aztecs

Woah am leaving

But Inca society lived and died based on its extensive road system. If dinosaurs make travel on those roads unsafe, there's no way to get food up to those massive mountain compounds

I don't think OP said anything about domesticated dinosaurs, just !aztecs coexisting with dinosaurs

Likely wondering why the hell all these dinosaurs are suffocating to death. Due to the atmosphere.

It probably wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if they were domesticated or not, the Spaniards would probably still roll over them. Gunpowder is a great leveller.

I dunno but I hope there's at least one macuahuitl studded with T. rex teeth

Wrong.

Apocalypto is the best movie.