Sup guys, fairly new MTG player, only played standard so far...

Sup guys, fairly new MTG player, only played standard so far, think imma check out the Kaladesh pre-release tommorow night, anyone have any tips on how to build a limited deck and what I should focus on?

Other urls found in this thread:

mythicspoiler.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Almost always stick to 2 colors and 17 lands when you're starting out. ~15 creatures and ~8 non-creatures. Prioritize removal, and don't play cards that don't affect either the board state or let you get more cards than your opponent.

The set mechanics are weird and I don't feel like talking about them. Read the set spoiler to know what to look for.

Since it is random, take a look over all the cards so you get an idea what's in it. What I do (since time is the essence) I crack packs and quick look to see if I got any money and my rare/mythics. Then I divide all my cards by cool. Then I look over my rates and see a common theme. For example in SOI, I got two Invocations of Saint Traft, so I ran purely WB Clue Aggro. Try 2 color combo. Remember 40 card deck, 17 land. You can't go bad!

appreciate the tips, and is there usually a recommended amount of creatures of the same mana cost people follow?

Well, there's the mana curve. Try to keep more 2/3/4s on hand than anything higher than that. A five drop or a six drop is fine if it can fuck shit up hard all on its own.

>so I ran purely WB Clue Aggro
You ran WU Clue aggro. Blue is U, Black is B because BLA comes before BLU.

I recommend, a decent curve. Maybe one or two fatties for late games. But it all depends what you get. But keep 5+ CMC to two max if it can be a late game threat. Also get sleaves, even if its for just this and draft. I can't tell you how many games I won because people can't shuff their unsleaved deck. Also remember you can use any card in you open in the mini box. You can switch out cards between matches and games. Also you can run more than 4 copies of a card if you pulled more than 4 in the box. What's your play style.

I just really hope I get a Aradara Express. I wana run a train on some fuckers.

My bad I ran W/U.

I play really slow decks at the moment, like I said I'm pretty new and have only played standard, I have a B/W lifelink deck that focuses on Sorin and Brisela, and a R/G Werewolf deck that focuses on pumping out wolf tokens with Arlinn, Second Harvest, and Cult of the Waxing Moon

On top of the tips you got here you might want to check out some spoilers. pay attention to commons and uncommons though as it will make up most of your card pool. If you prefer there are videos on youtube that go over cards and give tips. I don't know how busy your LGS is but if you think it will be busy you might wanna bring your own land if you have it, will give more time for deckbuilding

Also when you said don't play cards that let you get more cards than your opponent, did you mean I should play cards that let me draw more? Or don't play those. Cause I figured with 40 card max you wouldn't want to draw a lot of cards and deck yourself.

He meant you should, card advantage is really important in limited and you will likley not get enough draw to deck yourself unless you and opponent are hardcore turtling

Ok there is tons of good decks, B/U eatherborn, G/U Energy, or W/U with Dovin and tons of servos.

Also use this site, its my spoiler bible:
mythicspoiler.com/

And most importantly have fun! BEST OF LUCK!

appreciate it! im pretty pumped.

Print out a few proxies of all of the common and uncommon bombs. You're bound to draft at least a few of those. With a little bit of slight of hand, you should be able to slip them on top of your library when you need them most.

Pretty much everyone does this, only the baddies get caught. Prizes are on the line, so who can blame you?

Wow man great tip, sounds like a good plan!

"hay wtf dude. Why is this card flimsy?"
"uhhh bad printing?"
"Holy shit dude did you seriously print out a fucking common and try to cheat with it?"
"W-what n-"
"JUUUDDDGGEE!"
"This pathetic faggot is trying to cheatyface some jank into the game."

I was just going to print out like 10 Choo Choos and some creatures to be the conductors

I know this is a starting out thread but it's ridiculously easy to splash in this set. So many ways to mana fix.

And there are a lot of bomb cards in colorless. Like Fido is honestly first pickable.

Don't listen to this fag, he is trying to get you banned from your LGS.

What are some value cards to look out for? Im always an idiot when drafting a new set

Define value

Gary, Siege Rhino, swiftspear of this set. I go full retard and can never see whats good

Any of the Inventions will be worth a decent chunk of change, if that's what you mean.

As of this post, Chandra is $50, Nissa is $20, the other two walkers are $15, Verderous Gearhulk is $15. Everything else in the set is less than $7.

Masterpieces range from $40 (Noxious Gearhulk and Hangarback Walker) to above $200 (Mana Vault 240, Lotus Petal 210, Mana crypt 206) and three more (Mox Opal, Crucible of Worlds, Sol Ring) in the 180-190 range.