Why would a character who has lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

Why would a character who has lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPblZa10_Pk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they have nothing to lose.

To avoid acquiring something you wouldn't want.
Like bed sores.

Because something out there took everything from them

To fuck over whatever cost them ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Spite is a powerful emotion. Stronger than revenge at times. Revenge ends once you receive payback. Spite endures forever. Spite makes you ensure the subject of spite survives just to suffer more. Spite means you will sacrifice anything and everything just so long it makes the recipient hurt even a little bit.

A man who has nothing can still offer his life

Where'd you get that hot-shot and carapace armor from, trooper? That's for the storm troopers, not for you.

This right here. The worst has already happened. You have no reason NOT to get out of bed.

It was them. They fucked it up. There's no one to get revenge on because their situation is entirely their own doing.

Because, the loss makes them want.

Well in that case... I guess they'd get out of bed to buy a length of rope.

The way I see it, there's two main way you can approach nihilism:
- when nothing matters there's no point doing absolutely anything.
- when nothing matters there's no point not doing absolutely anything.

I guess leaning towards the latter works.

Also, we're biologically wired to struggle for survival, even when our mind isn't really in it, the body will autopilot through. Only when mind actively sets on self-destruction, directly or indirectly, the body will wither.

They don't.
They do not have a bed to get out of anymore.

Because bills need paid.

Food needs bought, eaten.

That's one of the shittiest parts of grief - you feel like the world should stop somehow, to let you wallow in your grief - but it doesn't. It keeps going on. Often it's a useful coping strategy to those going through grief and depression to just focus on the quotidian because it takes up their mind and they soon forget the source of their problems, at least for a little while.

He's lost the will to die

They ain't no bitch chef!

Lich backstory?

Spite.

I don't know, Strahd seems OK...

Maybe he is a cynic and realized that he is still alive and it could always get worse in that he could die a horrible death. So might as well get on with the living part. When you have nothing it's easy to be happy because anything you gain is more then you have now.

>flashlights
that's what they all say until half their infantry is gone

You can always find more stuff.

I asked a similar question to Veeky Forums a while ago. My character had lost the few things he really had in life due to a cult transforming him, so I posed that it would make sense for him to commit suicide.

Veeky Forums told me to roll with it, though, so now there's a nigh-suicidal little girl running around using dangerous cult magics and interdimensional alium tech while screaming about her favorite kind of whiskey every time she boils someone from the inside out with radiation.

False, you can never lose justice.

To find a way to get it back, of course.

To get it all back!
Make life rue the day it though it could give you lemons!

For the lolz.

A few possible reasons:
>They have some previous precedent which makes them abhor suicide, but shit needs to be done to survive, so they do it.
>They've moved on, or are trying to desperately - perhaps they try to run from their grief by finding people/things to fill the void.
>To lash out against something or someone - perhaps they know who took everything, perhaps they simply feel it was unfair and want the world to feel their pain.
>Through a belief that living is the biggest "fuck you" possible to whatever they feel cost them everything, even if it's masochistic survival.

How can you have lost absolutely everything if you've still got a bed to get out of in the morning?

It might not be your bed

How can you have lost absolutely everything if you've still got a morning in which to get out of bed?

>Implying he wouldn't just blame his loss on some intangible thing and chase it on a never-ending quest to avoid facing the reality that he can't run from himself.

Martyr complex optional.

According to Sartre, weakness.

Obviously, he gets out of bed to find out why he gets out of bed.

It's a motivation sometimes

The naive hope that, one of these days, life is going to surprise them with something GOOD for a change.

This

How do you lose justice?

If they lost their limbs, how?

Unlike normal people they are works of fiction. If they do not get out of bed there is no story and thus they cease to exist.

More likely what they've lost is their faith in justice.

My current character is a WM sorc.
He's lost everything but his sister and the clothes on his back, including his identity and even his original sex after a wild magic caused reincarnation.

He hates it, but basically keeps going because he figures he's been given his powers for a reason (generally a low magic world, but it is creeping back in), and if he doesn't help people with them he's wasting everything.

I would love to watch the application of those purity seals

>Whore
>Weak body clearly not capable of any sustained physical labor
>Alcoholism
This only angers me.

Because why the hell not.

A man who has lost everything is free to do anything.

By the emperor how heretical. But those are some pretty nice ti- *BLAM*

It's the only reality they know they have, might just make the best of it. Grief is comfortable, though not enjoyable, and has a habit of making one risk averse.

HOW would a man who's lost everything get out of bed?

He would have lost
1: his life
2: his mental faculties
3: his body, arms and limbs
4: his bed
If a man has any of these things, he hasn't lost everything, he's only lost some things.

What a silly question, OP.

This is why you're an NPC

So nobody else has to go through that.

TO TAKE IT ALL BACK!

Willpower, hatred, vengeance, dedication, and honor are all reasons not to give up and suicide.

To get it back and/or beat the shit out of whoever took it.

Because they want to get it BACK

Because he's already a demon

> Why would a character who has lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

Ponder me this: Why would a character who GAINED ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

If you've lost everything, you have nowhere to go but up.
If you've gained everything, then you have nowhere to go. At all.
After all, you have owned it everything.

Sure, you can try to lose things etc., but just because you don't have something anymore doesn't you didn't have it at all.

Ever familiar with the feeling "I wish I forgot something just so I could experience it for the first time"?
This is literally the worst life you could possibly imagine.

Endless boredom.

this

If you have a bed and a good night's sleep, that's something.

If you think you have anything then you clearly aren't avaricious enough my commie friend.

Because in this world, there are many evils. These evils bring destruction, ruin, suffering, and loss. The longer they roam freely, the more innocents have their lives torn away from them. These evils are why such people have lost absolutely everything. And these evils will not stop until they are forcibly put to rest.

Why would a character has lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning? To ensure that no one else loses everything like they did. They may not have anything to live for, but they sure as hell have something to die for.

>commie
user, please.
I'm aware that my appetites pale with the cosmic scale of things available, that's exactly why I'm aware of how boring it is to own LITERALLY EVERYTHING you've ever dreamed of.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPblZa10_Pk

There was a character in a severely disappointing movie that you discover near the end of the movie is not the orphaned boy you thought he was, he was a sentient guardian spell modeled off the boy.
The character is a guardian spell that's sole purpose in existence is to protect a girl. It ends up defeating the evil sorcerer but failing to save the girl. So it exists without purpose has no reason to exist and has lost absolutely everything. Meanwhile the sorcerer has gained absolute immortality. So the guardian spell decides to hack apart the sorcerer for the rest of eternity.

I think we are missing an important detail here.

>"Lost everything"
>Clearly still has a bed

If they've lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING how can they have a bed to get out of and legs to stand on? Checkmate, shitposter.

>Why would a character who has lost ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING even bother getting out of bed in the morning?

Bed tilts over when the alarm goes off.

I don't see how an almost naked bimbo would convince anyone to get OUT of bed.

By making some breakfast?

Maybe she's on the couch.

>turned into a loli
Sounds like your character improved.

Yeah!

He's just saying what we're all thinking!

To become a superhero

Maybe he IS the bed? Maybe "get out of" is what mimics think of the forms they previously take - "Oh yeah, I got out of the chest and became a shelf with a weird looking potion on it" etc...

Revenge, likely. Either that or they just adopt utter nihilism and live as an empty shell.

Why would they bother staying in bed?

When nothing remains, everything is equally possible.

Fuck off Fredrick-fan, if you actually accepted it then you can't be happy.

You're not a happy nihilist you've just rejected nihilism.

Because, whether they like it or not... Life goes on.

That looks more like absurdism, which is a branch of nihilism that is based on rejecting the concept of nihilism.

It's a fairly logical philosophy.

To accept All Evil of the World, of course.

Since when does Shirou have a sister who isn't Ilya?

You imply that they could find peace at bed.
Or at death.
Sometimes, you've lost so much that all you can do is go on. And maybe realize that you still have something, after all.

Does it matter? If nothing matters then why should we care whether or not someone is embracing nihilism as intended?

Since Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya is a thing.

I don't understand the FATE timelines. How does this fit in? Is this the reality where Archer comes from?

You've never lost everything, you always have your life and the ability to get something new. Unless you've got like five days to live with a terminal illness.

Because fuck you, I want my shit back.

I think I've finally found out why I hate that armor so much.

The knees are too low.

FUCK I SEE IT

We should care because nihilism is a crock of shit and thus it matters to us wherever anyone advocates it's particular brand of spiritual suicide.

To get back at this fucking piece of shit, clearly.

God damn I fucking hate Griffith.

Ehh, not necessary. A broad definition of nihilism would be something like "lack of belief in one or more reputedly meaningful aspects of life." By that logic you may think that human life is meaningless and lacks inherit value and still enjoy it.

when life knows you down you get back up, even the man who has nothing can still find hope and meaning in this world

To earn his bread.

Everyone here posts reasons of one dimensional hero who keeps going because he's a badass. But I think perhaps he simply has to keep going because in the end he can only lay in bed so long before a power stronger than his depression drives him out, hunger. He keeps going because he simply has to,he thinks about taking his own life but simply can't because no matter what he's driven by is instinct to simply live a little longer no matter how much it hurts.

TFW this is exactly why I'm still alive.

MFW I used simply that many times

RAVANGE! SPITE! BEDSORES!