Accidental Magical Girl CYOA General: Chaste Edition

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use. A majority of activity (including campaigns) instead happens in the IRC, which is open for newbies to join. Some players have split off and created a Discord server which can be used for the same purpose.

This thread houses three systems: First, QuasarBlack's CYOA PDFs which may be used as writing prompts. Second, AMGC which expands on the CYOA character creation and provides rules for combat. Finally, the SCS is an alternative to AMGC with a similar purpose. IRC uses mostly AMGC and Discord uses mostly SCS.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images: mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w
1.51 Changelog: pastebin.com/ub28mT8t

IRC Channels on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle #MGPnP #Overcity
IC Shenanigans: #TheWand&Circlet #MGCafe
IC School: #MGSchool
rizon.net/chat

Discord Server:
discord.gg/qJcjY

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/edit
drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz
titanpad.com/xys8tpTFEl
titanpad.com/AMGCupdate1-14
pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY
pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
pastebin.com/cbcBUc03
titanpad.com/NewHammerspace
i.imgur.com/FYEyXiq.png
pastebin.com/X9prA278
titanpad.com/MonGPerkChanges
discord.gg/zADN2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

This PDF is for AMGC 1.13, used for PnP in the IRC. It features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

IRC Community Linkboard
>titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq

Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations)
>titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

Character Archive
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/edit

Torque's Google Docs Character Sheet
>drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo

Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
>pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

Currently Active Documents
>titanpad.com/xys8tpTFEl
>titanpad.com/AMGCupdate1-14

AMGC Corruption PDF, for mechanics of a monstrous nature.

AMGC Puchuu Expansion, for the myriad creatures that seek to instruct or command most magical girls.

Two girls become one mind and body - fusion!

Introducing the MGCYOA Supplementary Combat System!

The SCS was made as an add-on to the CYOA to cover the combat side of roleplaying. It allows players to easily take characters made in the CYOA v1.5 and use them in Quests and long-running campaigns alike.

This PDF covers the basics of magical girls and sets the groundwork for future updates (which will include Patrons, DMGs, and Monster Girls).

>Addons to the SCS, currently only the Order & Chaos / Friend & Foe expansion:
pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
>Changelog: pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/cbcBUc03

The SCS Order & Chaos, Friend & Foe expansion, for adapting patrons to SCS play, a basic bestiary, and creating dark magical or monster girl characters.

The SCS GM guide. Includes

>Statistics for Mundane weapons and their use in the SCS.
>Alternate and Additional Rules for use in campaigns and quests that help change gameplay to better interest/suit specific groups and/or campaign styles.
>A list of common questions regarding rulings and gameplay.
>Tips and suggestions for GMs looking to run a game.
>Rules for converting AMGC characters for SCS use, as an alternative to completely rerolling characters.
>Tips and suggestions for constructing cinematic scenes and narratives from mechanical interactions.

Confirmed for a future release:
>An SCS version of a community-created “stock” quest.
>How to use coins to anchor minor additive enhancements to yourself and your abilities.

It's time! You know what time it is. High noon.

Has your mahou ever done an impersonation of someone else, whether it be intentional or not?

Her best friend, who died before she could save her.

Progress was made tonight! Voting may happen for AMGC in the not-too-distant future. I think what I'll do is create a summary document of the arguments so that people don't have to read through walls. Then people can add to that and comment or whatever and some time after we hold a vote, disallowing any new suggestions once the vote begins.

Also here's a thing we were wroking on tonight:
titanpad.com/NewHammerspace

Can we remove corruption perks and fusion please? That should be a priority given what was brought up in the last thread.

No.

o-oh

my feels, they hurt

What happened?

Bump-kun, let's go on a date!

>Debate that didn't even concern AMGC directly.
>Fusion was barely mentioned last thread and when it was it was found that AGMC's version of Fusion is underwhelming most of the time anyway.
Gonna have to go with "no".

You can suggest that in the update pad, but don't expect anyone to agree with you. Both systems need tweaks, but removal destroys a bunch of established characters and lore.

There seems to be enough dissatisfaction to adapt the monster girl perks into following QB's mutations. His categories are broader than the hyperspecific tables in Core so a character wouldn't be destroyed. Just nerfed as appropriate.

Could probably open up a suggestions titanpad, like we used to have back in The Day.

After it was proven that the perk tables were intentiinally imbalanced to keep the writers characters OP I cant sign off on having the corruption pdf exist as it is either It's a big fuck you to Quasar after all the work he put into the Patrons
I would vote yes on using the Patron pdf monstergirl stuff

Stop lying.
And fuck off.

>After it was proven
Gonna need a source. Not even gonna read the rest.

Its my opinion after seeing the evidence

Read the last thread the writer guy only played monster girls and wrote the pdf and had serious complaints that were ignored and made others leave
This shouldn't be controversial just remove the pdfs that caused issues and use QUasars its not like Im saying monstergirls should not be played anymore

In AMGC, if you take Mount (car) and Leitmotif (any eurobeat), do you get a bonus to rolls to drift?

So, as you suggested, I read the last thread. Literally one person claimed that one of the devs played a MonG and bent the rules to suit them. Everyone else said stuff along the lines of "that didn't happen" or "that doesn't sound like anything I remember at all".

Last I checked, denial and failed confirmation did not amount to enough to prove anything to be true.

But of course, so long as you take Training(Running in the 90s).

If you want to give your opinion, there is an IRC channel and a Discord channel to discuss things with people.
If you are going to stand there and spit judgements on people and say false things, really, just fuck off.
Otherwise, act like a mature person and don't say some things as an user.

Yes, fer Gaussake, yes.

QB's stuff's way better, an' this way, it'll enforce actual incorporation o' th' Patron module into AMGC.

It blows my mind that one persons headcanon for monsters was made to be so important to a system that affects everyone. Why wasn't Quasar's lore being followed in the first place? Can I also make a pretty pdf and expect everyone in the community to accept it if I spam it in the threads?
+1 for removing the pdf here And replacing it with Patron styled monsters

QB's lore was minimal during the original AMGC builds and tests. It was pretty much a page and a half of "here's the Overcity. It's some stuff. Coins don't really work after a certain point."

Lore wasn't properly added until the Patron update in v1.3/v1.4. Up until then there was barely anything to go on, and AMGC was created by writers that wanted mechanics for their campaigns.

In that case, AMGC's lore is not up to date and not an accurate reflection of what the community has produced. Patching in Patrons and reducing the clutter of outdated pdfs such as Corruption should be done as soon as possible, yes?

It seems as if the AMGC writers abandoned the project so it's up to the community to make changes. Surely no one wants to have obsolete modules hanging around just by virtue of being created a long time ago.

You'd be right, except that there was a large period of time where QB had virtually no input lore-wise (I believe IRL complications were cited), and AMGC decided to expand on the at-the-time lore (which was minimal) and create their own stuff for it. This was a community decision, not just one made by the devs of the day.

The issue that crops up these days is that some AMGC players have expressed an interest in going back to the newly-found roots of the lore, while that would mean that some massive overhauls would need to take place. AMGC is "in too deep" in a way.

It's possible, but it's not something that can happen overnight.

some people like the amgc expansions fyi, but those people aren't as likely to post in the thread. retcons aren't fun if you've been working on a character for months and have to scrap everything because some hot new mechanics or lore were released. qb didn't consult the community about monster changes either so its headcanon. he doesn't lord over the irc and we don't need to follow every single thing he thinks
if you want that just use the scs and discord, leave amgc and the irc out of it

Discord user here. We actually try to discuss potential AMGC changes when they come up, because a lot of the Discord users don't read the thread.

Keyword here is "try", but there is an effort.

That's... Unfortunate. To put it lightly. The AMGC writers should have either waited or found a way to consult with him about their changes. I suppose there's no way to undo that.

However pushing forth for wanting to change is the first step. Nothing will get done if everyone is complacent with the status quo. An overhaul is required so that the AMGC system will be compatible with the CYOA.
I would suggest removing the additional powers and perks added as well, though I expect there would be too much backlash for that suggestion to pass a community vote. Tsk.

Is the Discord very active? I might consider relocating if it is.

>found a way to consult

i.imgur.com/FYEyXiq.png

Seems like someone is full of shit.

Why should we remove the additional powers and perks that add to the system? Men,

>post an out of context quote
>expects the argument to end there

Quasar was discussing that AMGC modifications do not need his permission. and MANY others are stating their dissatisfaction that has resulted from not having unified lore and editors doing as they pleased.

Come back when you learn how to think critically. Having a creator's permission to make changes != said changes being good. There is NOTHING wrong with expressing an opinion about that.

Many of the new Powers aren't fun or viable for every character, and are imbalanced. Teleportation is better than Invulnerable at damage avoidance, Focused Fire is useless and completely negates character concepts which revolve around solo play. Many perks are problematic and you must spend a bronze to get rid of them. Censorship, Ojousama, Watcher... virtually all of the AMGC exclusive perks are guilty of this.

It would be better to get back to the basics and work on balancing that than to tackle a larger workload that has heaps of additions that are either ignored or abused by powergamers.

There are perks straight from the CYOA that are on the tier of Censorship, Ojousama, Watcher, etc. As in, you basically want to bronze them away.

I actually play a character with Censorship and I find it pretty fun, also, the character has the Avatar Power and I'm fun with it.

You are literally talking too much and I'm getting a good idea about who you are. So keep going, give me more data. Or stop and avoid a bad embarrassment for the community you play in.

user, as an oldfag to the irc and thread, I can tell you honestly that even when the monster girl perks were new, no one was happy with them. Fusion has only caused loldrama and Puchuu were ignored. The problem with Core has always been that it's impossible to balance without breaking something else. And may I add, Quasar Black's changes WERE voted to be added into Core. His ideas are more well-recieved than anyone else's.
Fuck off with your shitposting.

Fix-It Band-Aids is a re-skinned Healing Artifact with a secondary use.
Underdog has essentially no writing value.
Leitmotif is cute, but has essentially no writing value aside from the theme copied from KB and the fourth wall novelty.
Fortunate has essentially no writing value.
Sturdy has essentially no writing value.
Skeleton Key invalidates one of the most common narrative challenges.
#&$*?!? has essentially no writing value beyond the fourth wall novelty.

Perhaps some people just don't find they contribute anything substantial.

Monster Girls were a mistake.

>QB bought the "DSD is the one dredging up legalese" meme.
Either this was hella out-of-context or QB was in a really bad mood. Don't blame him either way, honestly. I'd be one hell of a hypocrite if I got mad at somebody for being frustrated.

It's out of context. Don't worry, it's just Tangent trying to be a dick to you again.

Except Tangent is behind the Great Firewall of China and can't post on Veeky Forums.

It's both of those things actually.

Ah, looks like you didn't get the news. Tangent and I actually talk to each other in moderately-civil fashions now.

Looks like once again your info is a little out of date, shitpost-kun. Perhaps if you were actually involved in our community you'd have a chance to get some REAL beef?

Maid, you're better than this. Don't give your haters the satisfaction of responding.

Can confirm the quote is out of context.

Let's talk about something else.
So! What is everyone's magical girl doing today? Fighting monsters? Relaxing?

She did the rounds and everything looked quiet, so she absconded to a world where it's currently Halloween and pretended to be a kid trick-or-treating.
It's cheap, but free candy!

Reminder to the thread to report posts that are harassment or violate board rules. Shitposts qualify.

Yeah you right.

Today Emilia is relaxing at the beach! She's been working hard to fix her house since the Beacon demolished it, and has taken the day off.

QG IS THAT YOU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH QGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE--

Trying to find a residence that will (hopefully) accept a 16-year old girl that may or may not be:
>a chuuni
>an amnesiac
>abnormally lucky

Can we get these merged into normal perks or something? Skeleton key has always bothered me the most.

I remember a suggestion titanpad for monster perks floating around somewhen recently but the link must have got lost in all the OP text shuffling that's been happening.
I think it's linked somewhere in the linkboard or AMGC update pad if you want to check, but I'd just ask Torque. He might have made a new one since the last got cluttered with chats.

>pastebin.com/X9prA278
Added to one shots in the Writefag Archive- I have some edits and writing advice to suggest if the author is still floating around, but won't dump it all out unless they ask for it.

Haven't seen much discussion of the IRC setting document. Reminder that it exists: titanpad.com/xys8tpTFEl

>You'd be right, except that there was a large period of time where QB had virtually no input lore-wise (I believe IRL complications were cited)
Mostly I just didn't into IRC for quite some time. I barely do so now. I didn't start getting on IRC with any regularity until around 1.4.

Both. You were not using the MoC trip for anything but posting SCS builds at the time and it was the third or fourth thread in a row where 'AMGC devs didn't have permission' was brought up repeatedly by shitposter-kun. I was extremely tired of seeing it and just jumped into the IRC to say that and give something for other people to post when 'permission' was brought up to shut it down immediately.

It's established that Maid has never once shitposted in the thread about anything related to AMGC and its creators. Please refrain from helping to perpetuate this bias against her.
Perhaps an apology would be in order?

>her
Who are you talking about again?

Maid of Charts

Am going to make a new summary thing sometime, but haven't done so yet. titanpad.com/MonGPerkChanges

Balance work is the stuff that idea people never like to sort through. There's a reason why game design is handled by people dedicated to that role, as opposed to an entire team thinking of potential features.

No apologies needed as far as I'm concerned. I've made mistakes and it's natural for people to be upset about some of them. Actions have consequences.

In more relevant news, v1.6 is coming along decently.

Honestly, while the art of refining balance quickly takes some practice, you can usually figure out what specifically is wrong by looking at a mechanic from all the angles. For instance, MonGs were originally liked for their power, but disliked by other people for their virtually inexistent costs. The SCS solved this by keeping the power (and in some cases providing more), but posing a huge risk to the character as well. This allows the player to still have that "I am a massive threat in a battle" feel while simultaneously having mechanical reinforcement of the downsides to ODing on Corruption, which in turn discourages overreliance on that Phenomenal Cosmic Power.

It's mostly cost-effectiveness stuff, really.

From what I was told Monster Girls(in Core) went like, "They're too strong!" And then they were nerfed. "They're too weak!" and then they were buffed. Then people complained still but drama happened so nothing came up of.

AMGC's MonGs were pretty damn strong at one point. Due to an overabundance of abuse in the system, they were nerfed, although many would argue that they were overnerfed. Then, more recently, they obtained a third perk table to roll on, which changed the entire dynamic entirely.

I feel like MonGs could be fixed if they went back to the original concept of "this is the typical Magical Girl's foe". Locking them out of their Specialization's stat bonus is fine since +1s in AMGC flow like water, but MonGs SHOULD be more powerful than your standard meguca.

Eh, it's not too active. Come on by, though, it's pretty much the only place that two of the other system developers are at, threads aside.

Oh shit, this looks fucking awesome. Tell me, do I get two EXTRA perks if I choose "emergency," or do I simply receive the ability to choose both of my perks, plus shift perks to the combat table?

The latter. If you buy two additional perks with Gold, you can also choose to have those be Combat perks.

Thank you for letting me know! In that case, I'll probably end up going with either the artifact or the silver coin, since those seem like the most versatile and beneficial options.

Also: Given as I am a complete newfaggot to this game and thread, where is the best place to play this? Do you guys regularly run games?

There's a Discord and an IRC. The link to the IRC is in the OP, and here's a link to the Discord: discord.gg/zADN2

Both are excellent and both have RPs on a decently regular basis. They share a lot of the same people, too, so really there's not any point in being in one and not the other.

In any event: choose one, choose both, welcome aboard. We're happy to have you.

Intuiting imbalance is the easy part. The hard part is working off of that intuition and requiring consensus at every corner.

If they are the typical mahou's foe, where does that narratively put DMGs? An aberration? A midboss?

In any case, welcome to the community - I hope you'll have a good time :D

Thanks so much, guys/ gals! I will definitely check them out after I finish rolling.

Incidentally, I did have a couple of other questions...

> Is it possible by the game's mechanics to use two different types of magic at the same time? I'm asking because I think I want the power artifact.

>Similarly, is it possible to use multiple powers at the same time? I rolled tentacles, so I'm thinking of spending the extra gold to grab killing blow for combo potential.

>The hard part is working off of that intuition and requiring consensus at every corner.
The great mistake that people tend to make is to try to appease everyone's initial responses.

A good balance change (especially a nerf) is GOING to have an initial backlash. I can't tell you how many people went "Holy fuck I lose MAXIMUM HP for spamming my shit as a MonG? THAT IS BAD DON'T DO THAT."

It's been 10 months since I did it anyway and nobody even cares. People still play MonGs and don't feel like it's a drain on their existence. Sure it went through a couple of rebalances but still.

Sometimes you have to make the judgement call between what the players want NOW and what will help the health of the game in the long-term.

There are two primary game systems, AMGC and the SCS. AMGC has its own character generation system, but has a lot more variety in its roll tables. The SCS takes what you rolled in the CYOA and converts it into a mechanical combat system, but is a bit harder to get into as a result.

There's also MGX, which is currently being worked on, but it's not to a playable state quite yet.

To answer your questions:
>Is it possible to use two different types of magic simultaneously?
The SCS won't let you use a Power Relic at the same time as you use a different spell, but you can otherwise combine spells if you have the Gifted perk.
AMGC won't usually let you cast two spells at once, but some spells may be usable via Power Artifact.
>Is it possible to use multiple powers at the same time?
In both main systems, it depends on the powers in question. Regen is usually always in some degree of effect, for instance.

Monster girls in the CYOA and SCS can have two Specializations. You have to pick the Magical Overload and Monstrous Form drawbacks on the Patron pdf. Or, take the Black Coin Patron and get the Instant Monster Girl. If you go this route, be sure to join the Discord server. The IRC is not compatible with Patrons.
SCS's Power Artifact also gives a spell from another specialization to you.

If you're using AMGC and plan to go into the irc, you can't use Patrons or the Origins you picked, but you can also be a monster girl with two specializations. AMGC, the blue pdf, also has a power called Avatar that allows you to cast magic from every specialization.

In both systems and communities you can spend a Gold for a second Power.

Black Coin Patrons for SCS can also get a second Power by becoming a Dark Magical Girl as well.
AMGC has no support for this option.

Don't feel shy about joining in and asking. Judging by your character concept you'll fit right in with the Discord, but you'll struggle to make her work in the irc.

Hmm, this answer was a bit confusing. Considering as I am rolling my character using OP's image, which system would I be falling into here?

>Depends on the powers in question.
I am asking about mixing something like tentacles and killing blow, specifically. Basically, can I hold someone in place while I smack them around?

So you're saying the Power Artifact perk only ever lets you replicate one spell from a given specialization? That's fine by me, but can it be any spell? Or is there a sort of list of acceptable things I can do with it?

>Patrons and Origins
I haven't seen anything about choosing a patron yet in OP's pdf, but I suppose "Why you've caught their eye" is what you mean by the origin?

>Rolling a monster girl.
Actually, I do need to do this. I rolled the "ally" perk, and I decided I want a monstergirl ally, rather than a conventional magical girl. I guess the Patron .pdf is my best bet then?

>make her work
>implying I didn't roll a 13

If you're going to play in AMGC, it's better to spend your gold in stats due to the fucking retarded rolling system that makes it impossible to hit. The AMGC killing blow is based on how many times in a row you can hit an enemy.

Using the base CYOA (the PDF in the OP), you're more in line with the SCS. It's not impossible to convert to AMGC, though.

You'd be using the SCS pdfs availible here Ignore the pdfs with the blue galaxy bsckground they don't have Patron or Origins implemented

Actually it'd be quicker if you just hop in the discord.

He'd be making a useless character in AMGC if he golded for a Power and wasted a silver monstering himself. -6 stats would be un-viable, ignoring the fact he might have spent other coins.

The two systems are used to give a mechanical equivalent of the CYOA. The CYOA is more of a writing prompt, by itself.

It's impossible to convert if he picked an Artifact or Silver up from the Emergency or Death bgs, and if he uses the Patrons. Don't lie to the newbie lol

I am not actually trying to monster myself, but to have a monstergirl ally.

I will hop in the Discord in a bit, about to have dinner at the moment.

Monstergirl allies work a bit like an assist in a fighting game for the SCS system. They drop in, use their spell, and gtfo. If you wanted a dedicated companion perhaps consider AMGC.

That is fine by me.

Allies are a LIABILITY in AMGC. They can't successfully attack or defend because of how few stats they have. What the fuck?

Gonna need to see some math on that.

I have never found an ally to be a liability. Putting aside the numerous storytelling benefits of having a close ally, an ally can be useful in a number of ways.

Even if all you care about is mechanical benefits your ally can: buff you, debuff the enemy, handle mooks while you focus on a boss, heal you, provide transport, aid another for a free +2, hide you, distract your enemies, scout ahead of you, tell you if someone is lying, make pancakes, and laugh at your jokes when no one else will.

Newguy here. Finally back from dinner, and I think I've got a better idea of what I want to do with my character now that I've thought about it some. All I need help with is the patron shit. Are people still in the Discord?

Yes, the Discord is active pretty much all the time.

uhh no its not, hours can pass without any chat yo

newbie don't be warned off by the irc chat, you can use both. the irc is more active and has more campaigns and shit if you want to do that

The Discord has none of the latent toxicity the IRC and its members does and makes up for lack of quantity in its quality of content. The IRC has nothing going for it other than being the first to exist, and therefore having the incumbent advantage.
Many players use both and the number of active players in Discord draws just about even with the IRC when you remove the bots and lurkers. In short order the Discord will surpass IRC membership, actually. Activity will increase when that inevitably happens.

As someone who has the Ally perk and has seen it in action in a current quest... they're not a liability. They're nearly as good as a second character, which is part of why a typical person will not use their Ally very often. So most of the time, it's sort of like you're just down a perk. Overall I'd say it's better now than it was with Allies and Big Friend, but it's still not perfect. It's probably the best that you can do while keeping the perk's concept intact. The SCS approach as I read it in the thread is more mechanically sound, but it's unfaithful to the idea that these are realistic allies in battle.

It's more realistic that Allies have their own lives and aren't waiting on the beck and call of the PC who rolled them. The implementation of allies in SCS follows that logic.

The OP image is a writing prompt/adventure seed/thought exercise like most CYOA's.

AMGC (the blue pdfs) is a self contained rule system that emulates, but does not mirror the base CYOA. It has additional powers and perks that the pink documents don't have, and does not have an equivalent for origins and patrons.

SCS is a bolt on to the CYOA that provides a rule framework for combat using just the options provided by the CYOA. It provides 1-to-1 matching of options to rules so your build will transfer over seamlessly.

MGX is a third rule system in development that isn't done yet.

If you're trying to mirror the build you get in the CYOA, SCS is currently the way to go. In general, AMGC use is more prevalent in the IRC channel and SCS in the Discord. My character is a legacy character tht keeps getting updated, but for what it's worth I rolled on the CYOA and then made an SCS sheet and converted with best approximation for AMGC so I would have sheets for either system. Not that I do much RP really, but you know, I'm prepared.

Patrons are in and are a slight expansion on the concept of Puchuu and Patrons as described in the base CYOA. Basically, you use that document to figure out who your mystical backer is, and what benefits (and drawbacks) they provide you. If you want to be a monstergirl, you'll need to use the Patron document.

Using a single spell or whatever is not at all how a proper ally would behave. They wouldn't be generally available, but they'd be really involved when they're there. Like it makes no sense for them to come to you and just make one attack and leave.