How do i RP a cleric of a specific god in swords and horses fantasy...

How do i RP a cleric of a specific god in swords and horses fantasy? In DnD you've got to pick a specific deity to devote yourself to, but the problem is there are a bunch of other gods too. How do you pay respects to a polytheistic pantheon without pissing off your patron deity who gives you your mystical god powers?

also post clerics

>How do you pay respects to a polytheistic pantheon without pissing off your patron deity who gives you your mystical god powers?
Polytheistic gods aren't all that jelly, and most people who worshipped a polytheistic pantheon worshipped whatever god the situation required. You make an offering to Neptune for a safe trip across the sea, to Mercury if you're going on a long (road) trip, to Demeter for a good harvest and to Mars for victory in war. Nobody cares because those gods all have different portfolio's. Zeus isn't exactly going to wait for you in your dark living room when you get home, on the verge of tears, asking you if you were with that hussy Neptune again.

>greek mythological gods are all tsundere animu girls
I'm interested in this game. Tell me more.

be a cleric of a pantheon. like the other user said, priests that worshipped a pantheon rarely devoted themselves to one god, and said gods didnt grt angry when said priest looked to others in the pantheon for help.

like a Norse Gothi or a Celtic Druid

Depends a bit on exactly what sort of polytheism your DM is running, but it might help to think of clerichood as a _job_ rather than a belief. It's like you're a professional carpenter and Spokesman of the Carpenters Guild, but this does not preclude you hiring a blacksmith or appreciating metalwork.

People come to your cleric when they want advice and intercession on matters within your deity's sphere, and you work in that sphere a lot more than most people do, but you're in no way excluded from going outside it.

>zeus is an NTR slut
ohboy

Polytheism is like joining a company: as long as you show up on time and get your contract done, they (probably) don't mind if you have a second job and shop somewhere else than the company store and so on.

Monotheism is more like joining an army: no fucking way are we going to let you do a sideline in someone else's army at the same time.

I dunno man, those Gods were pretty jelly.

Pick a deity. Devote yourself to him or her. Worship regularly, and follow any rituals and restrictions required. Don't act all high and mighty, like your god is the only god, or you might piss off the other deities. Respect the other deities, particularly if you're in or are benefiting from their domain, and in those cases make the appropriate sacrifices, then make sure you pray and sacrifice to yours, when you can.

Exception: If your deity and another are mortal (immortal?) enemies, respecting yours takes priority.

this is relevant to my interests

>Zeus isn't exactly going to wait for you in your dark living room when you get home, on the verge of tears, asking you if you were with that hussy Neptune again.

This is true. He would wait for you in a dark ally and shank you and rape the hole. Zeus was Worst god. Hades was the best of his brothers.

>The most bro god is the king of hell
The Greeks were fucked up.

I think that the whole Underworld = Hell thing was due to bad Gospel translations.

In Greek stories, and I could be very wrong about this, Elysium was a better place to go in that it was a nicer place. But you had to make Zeus like you enough and then you would be spending the rest of time in Zeus' holiday resort and Zeus was an asshole at best and a deranged psychopath at worst.

Underworld was just drab and dull for the rest of time by the king and queen of it were quite nice people. And it couldn't have been too bad if you could grow fruit trees there. And there was a nice river running through it. And all the precious metals and jewels were property of Hades so you bet everything is blinged out. Just have to put up with the king having bouts of crippling depression.

Alternatively, you are fucked up and the Greeks were merely realistic about human nature. Look at Bill Clinton, for instance.

I take it OP's question has been answered satisfactorily by the way thread is now derailing to the subject of Zeus sticking his dick in it?

So Zeus is a seductive, femme fatale ara ara~ MILF that loves raping and mindbreaking virgin boys on the night before their marriage?

Imagine that you have a group of friends and a best friend. You are on really good terms with them, and they got your back if shit goes down, but there is that one friend you're constantly talking to and spending most of your time with.

And a shapeshifter.

Zeus sticking his dick in things is always on subject.

In Greek mythology everyone ends up in the Underworld when they die, barring any divine nature that would see them going to Olympus, or special circumstances like being turned into a constellation.

Once you got there, you would usually be judged by Hades' judges, Minos, Rhadamanthus and Aeacus. Most people end up in Asphodel - a boring, somewhat dreary place, like a camping holiday in Wales. The very best people, heroes and wise men and the like, end up in the Elysian Fields, basically paradise. Contrary to what the recent Titans films would have you believe, Kronos got to live there too, where he appears as a kind of benevolent gradnfather figure.

The very worst people, those who'd committed terrible crimes and/or really pissed off one of the Gods, get sent to Tartarus, where they would be imprisoned and punished forever, often in inventive ways. For example Tantalus who was imprisoned in a lake with a fruit tree hanging overhead; whenever he tried to drink the water it would recede away from him, and whenever he would try to eat the fruit it would be juuuust out of reach

>Tantalus who was imprisoned in a lake with a fruit tree hanging overhead; whenever he tried to drink the water it would recede away from him, and whenever he would try to eat the fruit it would be juuuust out of reach

So his punishment was to be tantalized?

Yes, that is exactly where the word comes from.

>The very best people, heroes and wise men and the like, end up in the Elysian Fields
Explain why it's full of sandniggers then.

In reality, you approach various gods for aid in their specific domains. God of storms when you want rain (or don't want storms), harvests when you want to harvest, tactics when at war, health when you're sick, etc. The other gods have no reason to be jelly because that's not their business.

Now if you went to the god of rivers when you want to forge a nice sword, the god of smithing might have some words for you

Congratulations, you've gained a level in etymology!

You've got your best friend, then you have your other good mates. Now just imagine they're deities.